C10
7k 15 213
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been what felt close to ten minutes since Lorn proposed to go on a walk around the town. Lorn had taken a parcel to a small shelf, placing it on it before it disappeared in a small flash of light. Apparently, she had a handful of documents for her work today as she had worked through the last few days with little rest to afford herself some personal time. While she was occupied with that, Hatsumi and I found ourselves talking on one of the couches’. I started asking about how they had been living here and there work some, wondering about what position they were exactly in to just take me in.

It turns out that in this world, Adventurers Guilds employed at least one team around the clock and compensated them separately from their standard quest rewards. The reasoning for this was so they would have a group of adventures on hand at all times with an already gauged level of abilities. These stay-in teams made it easier to deal with emergency requests or sudden booms in the monster population. Rather than relying on whatever adventurers that found themselves through the area or off from requests, these “Stay in teams” would be on constant call and would move at the direct behest of the guild master and would reap the already given reward for the request on top of their own pay.

When I asked about the team’s name Hatsumi said it was because they were known for getting sent out sometimes without a set time, people would think them dead and gone. So on a few occasions, they had returned when people had already thought them so, to the point a funeral was readied. Thankfully this behavior didn’t last for long, but the name stuck. That and Callum thought it was cool.

They were out on a smaller subjugation request when we had crossed paths. Arguing over whether they needed to bother carrying the whole heads of their kills back for proof or just the jaws. After coming across me and needing to cut weight, they opted just to bring the lower jaws, hoping they would be sufficient proof. Having someone named Stanis do the work while they walked. Someone named Chessa carried me, and Callum carried my sword. Hatsumi carried the heads, handing them to Stanis one by one, being handed back the jaws to carry in turn.

I truly did come across them at just the right moment. If I had been a little later, I might have already been dead, or they would have already passed.

“So…..what do I do really? I….honestly feel really lost. Am I just….living with you all now?”

I found myself asking as I idly swung my feet back and forth against the couch's side. It was a welcome difference. Usually, I’d be bouncing my legs, but this felt more…..right? It felt it fit my appearance…..that and my feet didn’t reach the ground anyway. I didn’t expect an earnest answer to actually come, even if that had been par for how they were treating me so far.

“Hmm, well”

Hatsumi put her index finger to her lower lip and looked to the ceiling, her ears at attention and tail swaying gently to the side.

“Mmmmmm, if I were to put it simply. I’m your guardian now. So I’d be teaching you how to be self-sustaining and about being an adventurer unless you want to do something else?”

Wait, this is a signal. I’m being given a golden ticket to get taught by a professional adventurer too, Don’t pass this up! Or do I want to be eaten by a lizard the moment I step foot outside?!

Hatsumi apparently thought I was hesitant because she started waving off the suggestion herself.

“Naaaah, who am I kidding. You probably want to meet a good boy and get set from there, huh? All safe and cozy.”

Are you mocking me?! No way in hell would I be some stay-at-home wife! I- wait, IM A GUY, NEVER.

Flustered from her mockery, I found myself forcing an answer, my face flushed from embarrassment.

“I want to be an Adventurer! No way am I gonna be some wife!”

I found myself defiantly declaring so, and she gave me a sly smirk in response.

Wait, did I just get manipulated into an immediate answer?!


Class selected: Adventurer – Unattributed

You can review class statuses at any time.


Shit, I forgot this was even a thing. That will have to wait for later.

Wait, selecting a class was that easy?! I hope I didn’t just mess that up.

“Well, if you want to that badly. We can talk it over this evening after you’ve met everyone. I was originally going to be working with Lorn today, so if it’s her day off, it’s also ours.”

“Hmm? So…what after the walk?”

I stopped swinging my legs as I asked. My tail now swaying in their place.

“Well, probably get you some clothes to put on your back. I can’t very well have someone with your potential wearing hand-me-downs if I can help it.”

She sighed and relaxed her ears; her tail coming to rest over the couch brought a cease to its swinging.

“I’m sorry if I end up a burden on your coin purse.”

“Don’t be, you’re a child. You are my responsibility now.”

She responded with a shrug.

Lady, if only you knew.

“Speaking of clothes, what about these?”

I grabbed the end of the skirt and jostled.

It was kind of strange how she did have a bunch of clothes that didn’t fit her. They could have been her hand-me-downs, but they seemed like they were barely used.

“Those were…ah…. those were…mine.”

Hatsumi’s expression changed for a moment like she’d seen a ghost. But she composed herself right after.

I feel like bringing that up was a mistake. I should not press it.

“Actually yeah, I think I could use some spare clothes…. Thank you…”

“Think nothing of it.”
She nodded and gave a genuine smile, it felt kind of sad, but it seems like I recovered from that one.

“Alright, you two, I’m done here! Let’s head out!”- Lorn

Saved by the bell, I was afraid of awkward silence for a second there.

Thankfully Hatsumi’s mood seemed to return to its original state when Lorn spoke up. She was already walking past us and headed for the door.

“Hurry up, you two, I may be old, but I'm spry.”

Hatsumi stood up, and I followed after with Maria behind me.

“You may be old Lorn, but that’s in age only. You literally look like you could be Chessa’s older sister.”-Hatsumi

“You flatter me.”- Lorn

Over their small pokes at each other, Hatsumi turned to me some and motioned to me from her side.

I think she wants me to hold her hand?

I found myself reaching slowly, but she nodded and took my hand, guiding me back through the door behind Lorn.

“This place is easy to get lost in if you don’t know your way around. If I have to let go of your hand, do your best to stick to me.”- Hatsumi

Maria closed the door behind us and began tailing the three of us by two or three meters.

“So Kiyomi, any questions about the place? This will be your tour of the town so ask all you want!”

Lorn asked over her shoulder as we followed, Coming back into the main room of the building.

“For now, I have no clue. This town is called Brenton? Where is it?”

“I guess telling you the basics first is good. Brenton is the furthest city on the frontier. There are villages further out, but that won’t matter to you for a while. I can teach you more on it later since Hatsumi isn’t too good a general educator.”

“Excuse me; I am a rather good teacher!”

Hatsumi snapped back.

“So you would rather teach her all the subjects aside from already having to teach her ecology, adventuring, and magic?”

Are these two squabbling?

“Maaaybe you can teach her the other stuff; I don’t think I could stuff all that with magic AND ecology, not to mention skills.”

Ah yes, adopt a kid, then immediately try to juggle work onto each other, smooooooth.

…..

Wait, ecology? Why? Alright, think of a way to ask without being suspicious.

“Uhmm, eee-cah-lo-jee?”

Smooth, good job me.

“Ah, so as a professional Adventurer, you need to know your environment. Most small gamers…well, most adventurers in general, don’t bother with it. But if you actually study it, it’s a huge difference in your ability to predict threats or prepare for locations you aren’t used to. It makes it where the hardest parts of most requests are the traveling or the fight itself.”

“Hatsumi here is our expert on Magic and Ecology. Since she’s the leader of her team, the latter is her primary job so she can prepare her team to the best of her ability.”

Lorn added.

So that’s actually a really smart thing to do. Most people don’t assume you’d need to be really knowledgeable on that stuff as an adventurer. But in this case, it seems mandatory since they have to be ready for almost any threat. She did say they don’t really pick their jobs. Lorn passes them down on a case-by-case basis.

Before I realized it, we had made it down the stairs from the second floor and were now walking by the carving counter from earlier. Lorn had yelled out to someone behind the counter, and the tarantula Arachne from earlier came into view.

“Lorn! Headed out?” -???

“Yeah, we’re taking the little one out to show her around! Kiyomi, this one here is Avery. Same as Hatsumi, I’ve known her since she was small. Be careful around her; she’ll break you.”- Lorn

Pointing her thumb at the Arachne, Lorn stopped for a moment to check something on the counter.

“Good to see you up kid, I was out here still yesterday when they brought you in. This old lady isn’t too overwhelming on you, is she?”

Apparently, I had drawn the spider's attention. When I looked at her again, she seemed much more imposing up close. Aside from the giant spider body, she was well built. If I had to put a simple description to her, “Tomboy” is the shortest. Her body seemed to be similar in appearance to a red-knee tarantula. And when I looked up, a light tan, yellow eyes, shoulder-length brown hair, and….

Milkies….don’t stare-don’t stare-don’t stare-don’t-stare.

“Thank you for the care! And no ma’am.”

I found myself bowing my head slightly to avoid looking at her.

I feel way too nervous around this lady.

“So you find out anything about her situation Lorn?”- Avery

Lorn looked up from whatever it was she was handling on the counter.

“Hmmm? Oh, she’ll be with us from now on. Hatsumi is her guardian now.”- Lorn

“Is that so?”- Avery

“Mhmm, we couldn’t find anything about where she’s from, and she has amnesia apparently, so I’ll be doing what I can for her.”- Hatsumi

I couldn’t see too well since I was struggling to avert my eyes, but it looked like she squinted for a second at Hatsumi’s response before she suddenly brought her whole body over the counter.

Wha- wait back off lady! Too close!

“Hey Kiyomi.”- Avery

“Y-yes ma’am?”

“It’s Avery, not ma’am. If these two aren’t around and someone ever gives you trouble, come to me. I’ll handle it.”- Avery

Confused for a second, I looked up to Hatsumi, who nodded.

“Avery was on our team before; it’s okay.”- Hatsumi

Before?

Avery backed up and over the counter and flashed a smile.

“The legs healed up fine now, by the way, another year, and I may molt again. Then I could rejoin if you ever need me.”- Avery

“We’ll be sure to come to you if that’s the case.”- Hatsumi

Now that I notice one of her legs only has two sections. It must have been lost during a hunt, but she can regrow from molting? How does that work?

“I’ll be in your care ma- Avery.”

I ended up smiling back at her. While she makes me nervous as hell for some reason, she seems sincere. The vibe is there.

“Well, Avery, the books seem in line with about what we expected this week. We’ll get out of your hair.”- Lorn

“Anytime boss-lady, stay out of trouble, kid. See you later, Hatsumi.”- Avery

“Okay”

“Later Avery.”- Hatsumi

And with that, we continued to walk out the larger of the entrances. What I was greeted with was a much more up-close view of what I had seen when I looked outside earlier. As we walked shoulder to shoulder, we made our way along one of the streets for a while before it started to open up to a wider road with some stalls on either side. When I looked over my shoulder, the real scale of the Adventurers guild dawned on me. I knew it had to be massive, but this was just…massive! It looked like a rather large log cabin with its lower floor walls and foundation made of stone. It was more than I expected, really. Behind it was a massive keep that looked like it was on a hill

Woah.

“Ah! something that I was wondering, Hatsumi?”

A question I thought about a little while back from when they proposed this whole guardianship thing.

“Hmmm?”

She ended up looking down at me, ears tilted to one side.

I’ll never get used to that.

“When Miss Lorn said I wouldn’t be an apprentice or anything. Aren't we pretty much doing just that?”

I was confused on that; one second, she said I’d just be raised normally. But then Hatsumi backed me into saying I wanted to be an Adventurer.

“Oh, if I wanted you as an apprentice, I’d drop you in the forest with a knife and bow and tell you not to come back for a month.”- Hatsumi

“!?”

What the hell?! That’s not teaching a kid! That’s teaching a fuckin commando! Her answer was earnest too!

I’d only ever heard of that kind of scenario in extreme training so to think that was an actual method of training apprentices in this world was a bit daunting.

“But-“

Hm?

“You aren’t an apprentice. You’re my kid.”- Hatsumi

She didn’t make any weird face or expression with that follow-up. Instead, she looked ahead of us with a gentle smile…. She takes this really seriously….

I feel bad... These people are just trying to do right by a kid they found in a really shitty situation. I feel like I’m being incredibly disingenuous…no…no, I can make it matter. I WAS in a bad spot. Not two days ago, I fuckin died. Yesterday I nearly died again! They’re giving me a really good second chance. I need to take it to heart. I was scared as shit of dying after all I’ve been through. And here I am. Alive…Not the same…But alive…And given a great damn opportunity.

“I’ll do my best.”

She doesn’t respond, she just keeps smiling.

Almost on signal, Lorn reminded us of her presence.

“Well, here we are!”- Lorn

Hm?

“Brenton Plaza!”

As if she were some sort of presenter, Lorn had walked ahead of us and spread her arms. Opening them to a vast plaza lined with stalls and shops of many kinds. While it didn’t seem gigantic compared to some I’ve seen. For this world's standards, especially if we were on the frontier. As busy as it is and lined with businesses, a plaza of this scale must be very grand.

“Let’s get you acquainted, Kiyomi!”- Lorn

This will be a long day… Won’t it?

213