Separate from the Family (Part 3)
1.3k 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Father Jing stunned when he heard what Jing Chen's said. His face was red with shame and anger. Loud murmuring and sneering could be heard outside.
 
"Mother Jing really filial ah! 13 years old son sent to the military, its really a good luck he can last!"
 
"If Jing Chen didn't stop studying, maybe we already have another scholar in the village!"
 
"I remember! With 200 taels, didn't a lot of parents want to marry their daughters to Jing Chen back then? But mother Jing forced him to marry a ger. How could mother Jing do it with good intention? Clearly, it's to ruin Jing Chen's future, ah!"
 
"200 taels were given, the son didn't hesitate at all! How is this not filial? Which family have 200 taels in hands at once? This son worked in the field all day after coming back, I never saw Jing Hao who spent 25 taels of his brother's money to help at all!"
 
"200 taels were given but only 2 taels as Jing Chen's bride price, this family is too much ah! I know Jing Chen's wife is a ger, but the poorest family in this village can save at least 6 taels for a ger's bride price and serve meat dishes at the wedding!"
 
"Not only that, but the wife's younger brother lives near the pigsty! Jing's family house is so big, they lack a room for a small kid?"
 
"Ai, Jing Chen is so pitiful! The son is filial, the parents are partial!"
 
"Five months unconscious and never called a doctor? Were they sending the second son to death door?"
 
"I can't believe Jing's family daughters-in-law are so lazy!"
 
"Who says they are lazy? Maybe they don't have any capability at all! They only can eat and look down on people! Especially Jing Hao's wife! She wears white powder and rouge all day when she's going out. Who does she want to show it off for? Doesn't she get a husband already? Does she still want another man's attention?"
 
"What does Jing's family daughter do? She's 14 now and ready to be married. If she isn't capable of cooking and doing housework, who wants to marry her?"
 
"Shameless! Really shameless!"
 
All the other participant's face in the house was red and sour. Mother Jing couldn't help but shout.
 
"Shut up!! All of you shut up! This is my Jing's family business!! What my daughters-in-law do and what happens inside is not your business at all!!"
 
The crowd didn't disperse. Instead more people came to watch the show.
 
"Mother Jing really has a temper ah!"
 
"Mother Jing defends her daughters-in-law too much! Maybe she is suppressed by them? I remember Jing Chang's wife has a good background. Mother Jing can only force Jing Chen's wife to work, the others don't listen to her!"
 
"Ai, the mother is bullied by the daughters-in-law? How can it be? So unfilial ah!"
 
"The mother suppressed by the daughters-in-law? How sad! I'll never let my daughters-in-law lazying around all day doing nothing!"
 
"Ai, no wonder mother Jing cried so pitifully. It must be hard for her.."
 
Mother Jing's face turned green, blue, then red.
 
"Who said they suppressed me, ah?!! What do you outsiders know?! This mother is respected by all her daughters-in-law, whoever don't listen to me will be scolded to death!!"
 
Then, she strode inside and pointed at Jing Chen, "This is because of you, you unfilial son! How dare you make me lose face in front of these villagers! You said you put this mother in your eyes, but you complained so loud for all the villagers to hear! You really hate this mother, ah!"
 
Jing Chen took a step back and put his hand on the wall to steady himself.
 
"Mother, how can you say that? This son didn't complain, this son just telling mother that everything this son did before was to fulfil mother's wishes! Not once this son complain, all that this son said was everything this son did for mother! This son believed mother had good intentions and did it all to show his filial piety!"
 
Mother Jing couldn't refute what Jing Chen said. How could she say that she actually hated Jing Chen and intentionally humiliated him all this time? There were lots of villagers outside. Did she want to lose more face? She couldn't. So mother Jing could only swallow her hatred and turned to father Jing.
 
"Second son really made this mother lose face! You all can hear how the villagers outside sneered and scolded me! They said this mother wasn't capable, was suppressed, and ruined the second son's future! This mother didn't want to live anymore, no one put this mother in their eyes!"
 
"Mother what are you saying? Of course, we always listen and respect you!" Lin Jia hurriedly said. She and his husband felt bad for Jing Chen, but seeing Jing Chen wasn't favoured they couldn't do much.
 
Zhang Mei didn't say anything but looking at his husband's red face she knew she wouldn't be able to use any rouge and powder from now on. She hated those villagers outside, but she hated Jing Chen more! In her eyes, Jing Chen who never stood up against mother Jing was a coward!
 
Wang Ling felt indifferent. She never cared that much about Jing's family affairs. She and his husband were closer to her parents since her father was the craftsman who took Jing Chang under his wings. She often returned to her natal family, especially when her father got a big order from the county town. She, Jing Chang, and their children would live in her parents' family house for a while.
 
Jing Jie was so ashamed. She never did housework since Jing Chen's marriage. Who wanted to marry a village man anyway? She will marry a rich man in town and would never do housework all her life! She will be served and pampered like she was in Jing's family!
 
"This mother wants to die, ah! Wuwuwu.."
 
"This mother wasn't capable, wuwuwu.."
 
"This mother was scolded by villagers, wuwuwu.."
 
"Quiet!"
 
Father Jing roared. He was shaking with how angry he was.
 
"You unfilial son!!"
 
He slapped Jing Chen hard and beat him several times.
"Father!!"
 
Jing Bai and Jing Yi cried. They rushed out to Jing Chen who kneeled with a mouth full of blood. They were full of tears. Xue Yu staggered weakly to help Jing Chen. His eyes were red and he wiped the blood that flowed out of Jing Chen's mouth.
 
The villagers gasped.
 
".. this son is filial, but mother and father treat this son like this. This son just woke up for several days, but father beat this son so hard! Do this son really unpleasant in father's eyes that he wants to send this son to death door again immediately?"
 
"You deserve to be beaten!! You accused your mother wanted to ruin your future, and you didn't give your father face!"
 
Jing Chen hid the twins behind his back. He leaned into Xue Yu, both were shaking. They looked pitiful.
 
"When did this son accuse mother to ruin this son's future? All that this son said was everything mother told this son to do. This son put filial piety above everything, but it looked like it's not enough! Do father and mother want this son to die to prove how filial he is? If it the case, bring the knife! Let this son stab himself to death to show how filial this son to father and mother!"

Thanks for reading everyone! Here are some notes:
Face is very important in ancient times
- People in ancient times are rather dramatic ;D
 
15