Renting a house
1.4k 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jing Chen led his family to Auntie Zhang's house. There were lots of villagers who wanted to ask more about the situation, but Jing Chen’s family was so pitiful it was hard for them to bring it up. Finally, they left them and followed the village head instead.

Auntie Zhang waited for them with a bowl of hot water and a clean towel. Xue Yu helped Jing Chen wash his mouth. He also checked if his injury was reopened after Father Jing beat him.

Auntie Zhang cooked their lunch:brown rice, two vegetable dishes, scrambled egg, stir-fried tofu, and porridge for Jing Chen, whose mouth was swollen inside. It was a decent meal, but it couldn't be compared with modern cuisine.

Jing Chen asked, "Auntie Zhang, who owns the house across this house?"

"Oh, it was Jing Hua's family. It has been empty for a long time since they built a new house near the village's gate. What's the matter?"

Jing Cheng finished his porridge, "I want to rent that house for a year. How much will it cost, Auntie Zhang?"

Auntie Zhang frowned, "Ah? Why the hurry? You and your family can live here for a while! It's better to save money and build your own house later!"

"How can we take your kindness like this? Auntie Zhang, we don't want to bother you. It won't look good in the villagers' eyes!"

"Ai, you don't need to be polite! The villagers know your situation, so they won't say anything. There are two more rooms that you can use here! No need to pay!"

"Auntie Zhang, we thank you so much for your help these past weeks. But we can't keep taking your kindness like this. We have some money, and we want to rent the house. Of course, when we have difficulties in the future, we hope Auntie Zhang can help us."

Auntie Zhang reluctantly agreed and told Jing Chen he needed to pay around 2-4 taels depending on the house’s condition.

Jing Chen and Xue Yu later went to Jing Hua family. They brought three eggs and offered to rent the house for 4 taels a year. Li Wei, Jing Hua's wife agreed immediately. She had a good impression of them, so she gave them pans, pots, buckets, and weeding tools all in good conditions since Jing Hua's family didn't use them anymore. She also gave them a broom and duster. Jing Hua was a bit embarrassed by his wife's actions, but he didn't say anything as he gave them the house key.

Jing Chen was so happy he quickly took Xue Yu back to move their things to the new house right away.

The house was in good condition, except for some holes in the roof and weeds in the yard. The furniture was all in place; there were bowls and plates in the kitchen. The house had three rooms, a bathroom in the back, and a kitchen with two connected stoves made of stone. As for the toilet, it was in the corner of the yard, instead of in the bathroom.

There were two bamboo poles with rope between them to hang the clothes. However, there was no well. In the village, only rich families like the Jing family and the village head had their own well. For other villagers, a well was built and shared between three or five families.

It was already evening when they finished cleaning and unpacking. They were sweating all over, and the water Xue Yu gathered from the river was not enough. Therefore, they could only wash their face and body with wet clothes.

When Auntie Zhang came over to send them dinner, Jing Chen gave her a tael. While she was there, he asked her help in finding a well. He suggested that she ask around to see if there were families that would share their well with them. 

"This is too much! You don't need to spend this much, it was only 300 wen!"

"It's okay Auntie Zhang. For a few days ahead, we will still depend on your cooking! Please use this money to buy more food. Xue Yu still needs to rest and so do I. This body hasn't fully healed yet. We'll be very grateful if auntie is willing to help us!"

Jing Chen was glad Auntie Zhang didn't refuse anymore. He also persuaded Auntie Zhang to eat with them. During dinner, Xue Wen was chatting happily with Auntie Zhang, while Xue Yu helped the twin to eat. Maybe it was because Jing Chen was hungry, but when he looked at the happy faces of his family, the meal tasted more satisfying than before.


The next day, Xue Yu woke up very early. Actually, he couldn’t sleep at all! He was so anxious sleeping on the same bed as Jing Chen, it felt like the first time all over again. In the Jing family’s house, Xue Yu slept with the twins while Jing Chen slept on a separate bed. Here in the new house, the beds were small, and there was only one bed in each room, so he had to let Xue Wen sleep with the twins.

Xue Yu was very nervous when Jing Chen hugged his waist unconsciously last night. Remembering the feel of Jing Chen’s chest on his back made him blush. Previously, they were not in an intimate husband and wife relationship. Jing Chen only touched him once in his life: on their wedding night when they drank a bit too much. 

It was a miracle that he got pregnant immediately. 

“Dad?”

Xue Yu startled when his eldest walked into the backyard.

“Yiyi already woke up? It’s still early, go back to sleep.”

Jing Yi shaked his head, “Daddy is earlier than usual.. Daddy should rest more.”

“Don’t worry, daddy slept a lot last night.” He lifted Yiyi and carried him in his arms, “Why did Yiyi wake up so early? Can’t sleep?”

“.. uncle Wen’s snoring is so loud.” Jing Yi frowned, then he added, “At least uncle Wen didn’t move in his sleep. Baibai kicked my stomach again.”

Xue Yu sighed, “Daddy will talk to Baibai, don’t be mad at him okay?”

“Yiyi is not mad, the kick wasn’t that hard. It is just annoying since he did it repeatedly.”

“Seems like we have to find a way to make Baibai’s sleeping habit become better. Daddy will think about it.”

“Yiyi will also think about it.”

“Okay, Yiyi is very good.”

Xue Yu smiled. He was happy his children could openly complain about trivial things like this. Previously, the twins wouldn’t talk much and swallowed the misery of being bullied by others. Yiyi would say nothing. Baibai would cry when he wasn’t looking. They were so young yet so sensible.

Xue Yue kissed Yiyi’s forehead lovingly. The future won’t be so bitter anymore.

He put the child down and started to sweep the yard.


Thanks for reading everyone! Shout out to my beta, @Fancy Dreamer [on Tapas] who was very patient with my messy grammar. FYI, just to make it clear, this is my original work not a translation so there's no raws :D

Note: 

BaiBai, YiYi, WenWen : Cute nickname to call someone dear to you (usually a child). Yiyi (Jing Yi), Baibai (Jing Bai), Wenwen (Xue Wen).

16