Chapter 23: The mage and another farewell
3.5k 18 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I try looking around to find Hana, but there is no sign of her nearby. Fifir comes closer and gives me the letter she holds in her mouth. In the letter, Hana states that she will be gone for one week.

-I can only depend on myself to save Hina now. (Farah)

When I try leaving the inn, Fifir holds my leg and doesn't let me go out of the room. I crouch down and pat Fifir's head.

-My friend is in danger now, Fifir. I need to go out and save her. (Farah)

-Woof! (Fifir)

It seems like she wants to tell me something.

-So you want to go out with me? (Farah)

-Woof~(Fifir)

Fifi jumps on my head, then two of us run out of the village and head to the forest. I suspect Hina would go to the room we found in the dungeon. She behaves weirdly since she found that room. When we reached the side of the forest, Fifir barks a lot:

-What's the problem? (Farah)

Fifir jump from my head to the ground. Black and gold energy surges out from her body.

-Ahh? (Farah)

Fifir turns into a huge dog. She is five times bigger than me now.

-Woof! (Fifir)

-Do you want me to ride on your back? (Farah)

-Woof~ Woof~(Fifir)

I climb on Fifir's back and hug her. Fifir starts heading to the dungeon with me as her guide.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-It's a very loud explosion noise! It seems we are not the only people in this dungeon. (Hina)

-To use explosion in the dungeon, I don't think they are the adventure. (Extimus)

*Bang*

The secret door seems to be destroyed by the explosion. From the smoke, three men with skull masks appear.

-Oh, there are some rats here? (Skull mask A)

-Haha, we have a new test subject! (Skull mask B)

-Can I dissect them? (Skull mask C)

The tallest person with the skull mask channeling black energy in his hand and shoot at us. I deployed my mana shield to defend against it.

-Argh! (Hina)

This black energy is like the energy that the black bear used. It's not strong as the black bear, but it took 25% of my mana at once. I tried attacking those men with magic.

-Fire lance~✩(Hina)

The magic shows no effect on them. It seems they can also absorb mana like that bear.

-It's no good, Extimus. We must run we cant win against them. (Hina)

-Right! (Extimus)

-You think I would let you go? (Skull mask A)

Another man with a skull masks fires black energy at me again. This time Extimus use his body to block the energy from hitting me.

-Ahh! Extimus!(Hina)

-Run! I will hold them down. (Extimus)

-No, why would you? (Hina)

-Run! Hotaru, I terminate the contract between us. (Extimus)

He calls my pet name. However, In 15 years living with him, I never once told him my pet name.

-Listen, Hotaru! I don't have time to explain. If this old man dies after this, please bury me in Accedian with Arpetio. (Extimus)

-No way, old man. No, grandpa! (Hina)

I just realize everything. I have wonder why this old man acts so weirdly nice to me and even form that "contract" with me. But now everything makes sense.

-Live well! Hotaru, sorry that I can't tell the truth until now. (Extimus)

-Artifact active: Solitude barrier. (Extimus)

A big barrier is created and swallows those skull mask men and Extimus.

-I will show you the power of the greatest treasure hunter in the universe. (Extimus)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I keep running without looking back. Once I went back to the town, I can ask for a rescue. I hope the maid is still in town, she is the only person who can help me right now.

-Old man, you must stay alive until I come back! (Hina)

Suddenly, black energy is fired at my back. I try using the rest of my mana to defend against the attack.

-Argghhhh!(Hina)

It's a woman wearing a skull mask. It seems like she is from the same organization as the other men. The woman comes closer and strangles me:

-How did you find this map? (Skull mask D)

She's holding the map I dropped when I run away from those skull mask's men.

-I... found it in the ruin. (Hina)

She released her strangle after she got the answers.

-It's a surprise that an unknown person got stuff from our cult. (Skull mask D)

-The map is from your... cult? (Hina)

-Right, the evidence is the emblem on the map. This emblem belongs to the "Real God" that we worship. (Skull mask D)

-"Real God"?(Hina)

-Yes, the current goddesses are unfinished products. Our God is the "Real God".(Skull mask D)

The woman keeps talking about her god with much passion.

-You have the eyes of a person yearning for power. Do you want to join our cult? (Skull mask D)

I spit in her face:

-No! (Hina)

-Heh, then you will become our test subject. We need to test a lot to see how black energy affects the normal person. (Skull mask D)

She takes me back to the room, where I just escape from. I can still see the barrier contain Extimus and three skull men.

-Tchh, It has been so long and they still can't defeat an old man. They are so useless. (Skull mask D)

The skull mask girl begins channeling her energy to the emblem on the floor. Many strange sounds can be heard as if something is being activated.

-The hidden mechanic of this room is working. We can see what "Real God" left behind for us. Hihihihi!(Skull mask D)

A hidden door is slowly open in front of me. Then black liquids suddenly fire out from the doors and hit the girl with the skull mask.

-Noooo! Why god? Why do you hurt your faithful believer? (Skull mask D)

It took no longer than 2 seconds for the black liquid to turn the girl into bone. The black liquid immediately attacks the barrier that contains the old man and the other skulls member. The barrier easily being destroyed under the black liquid and reveal all people inside it. I can see three skull men are still alive while the old man has a big hole in his stomach. When those skull mask men try channeling their black energy, they immediately being devoured and killed by black liquid.

I ignore the black liquid and run to the old man place:

-You can't die now, old man. We need to talk about many things. (Hina)

The old man seems to be out of breath and try touching my face:

-Sorry...Live... Hotaru. (Extimus)

His breath becomes slower then stop.

-No, No... old man. You can't die here! (Hina)

The last moment I remember is when the black liquid comes close and swallows me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have arrived at the gate of the dungeon. However, when we reached the place, Fifir shows she is scared of something. Something in the dungeon makes her tremble. Fifir turns into her small form and cowers herself. I go and pat her head:

-Then wait for me here, Fifir. I need to go to save Hina. (Farah)

-Woof! (Fifir)

I leave Fifir behind and go into the dungeon.

-Hina, please be safe. (Farah)

Next chapter will be in Extimus's POV. Thanks for reading

111