Chapter 24/ Interlude 11: The diary of the dishonest grandfather-1
3.3k 14 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Extimus's POV

I just finished diving into the dungeon with my colleague. We come back to the bar that belongs to the "boss." The boss is the one who takes care of all of the adventures in this region.

-Hey Extimus, you have a new letter again. (Colleague A)

-Ohh, give it to me! (Extimus)

By checking the letter envelope, I immediately notice who sent this letter. It's great to read the story about my wife's daily life and my adopted granddaughter.

-What kind of story will I have today? (Extimus)

My college immediately calls out for me:

-Don't tell me you are going to brag about your grandaughter again! (Colleague B)

-Of course, my granddaughter is a genius, Muhahaha. (Extimus)

-You are losing the usual cool atmosphere around you, Extimus. (Colleague C)

-I don't care about it, as long as I can brag again about my granddaughter. (Extimus)

I slowly open the envelope of the letter. There are 2 letters inside, one is from the guard captain and the other is from Arpetio. After reading 2 letters, I can't handle the shock and fall to the ground.

-What's the problem, Extimus? (Colleague D)

-Acedian, you... you! (Extimus)

I can't think straight, I'm too angry about how rotten the government has become. I can't stop the tear come out of my eye.

-Hey boss, I think there is something wrong with Extimus. (Colleague E)

The boss takes and reads the letters:

-I think he needs time. Take him to the inn. (Boss)

I spent the next few days to lose in thought. My only purpose of adventuring is to find an artifact that can cure Arpetio. Now she is gone, I have lost the purpose of my life.
I used alcohol as a tool to forget the sadness. I keep drinking non-stop, so I can forget about my wife's death. I continue to look out the window and wait for the day to pass by. However, the boss won't leave me alone in this situation. He broke down my door's room and go in to see me.

-Hey Extimus!(Boss)

-....(Extimus)

The boss hits right on my face. I don't bother defending against his fist.

-Don't be such a weakling like this. (Boss)

-...(Extimus)

-You tell me you have a granddaughter, so you are going to leave her alone? (Boss)

-...(Extimus)

-What a horrible grandfather you are! She is out there alone, no one helps her! Think carefully, you are not the only one being hurt by the loss of Arpetio. (Boss)

-Right...(Extimus)

I can't stop my tears; they keep coming out. I can't be pathetic like this forever, I must find my granddaughter. I sweep all my tear and stand up:

-I am the greatest treasure hunter, I can't cry because of this. (Extimus)

The boss smiles and helps me stand up:

-That's more like you now. (Boss)

In the letter of Arpetio, she tells me she would give Hotaru a necklace as a gifted for Hotaru's 8 years old birthday.

That's the necklaces come in a set, The necklace Arpetio gifted to Hotaru is in the same set as the necklace that I'm wearing. They are not normal necklaces but artifacts that I found in the dungeon. If I pour mana inside my necklace, I can find the position of the Hotaru's necklace.

I pour my mana into my necklace. A hologram of 14 planets is showed up, a dot shines at Humilitan's planet. Hotaru is currently on that planet; I must come to her side. After saying goodbye to the boss, I start my journey and go to Humilitan.
-----------------------------------------------

Hina's POV

It has been one month since grandma's death. I used the ticket that grandma gave me and arrived at Humilitan. This planet has a country called "hometown of the mage." I need to go to Ecrax's capital to learn how to use magical skills. However, my money ran out, and I can't afford to buy the ticket to Ecrax's capital.

- I need to get to Ecax's capital, so I can attend the mage test. Once I pass, I can have money to pay back for you. (Hina)

-Who would believe a kid with single cents on the body? I have worked as a coachman for 20 years already, I have seen many people make promises like you. And you know what, there is no single time they keep their promise. (Coachman)

-But...(Hina)

This is the last wagon to Ecrax today. The next wagon will be in 5 days from now. And I don't have enough money to last until the next wagon. The only option left is to sell the necklace that grandma gift me. Sorry grandma, I need to sell this necklace so I can take the first step to revenge those Acedian.

-How about this...(Hina)

-Wait! (Extimus)

An elder man slowly comes closer to us.

-That's girl ticket fee is on me. (Extimus)

-Eh? (Hina)

-Are you sure about that? This kid may be a scammer, you know? (Coachman)

-Just let me pay for it! (Extimus)

-All right! (Coachman)

I was taken with the elder man to the wagon; we sit in front of each other.

-Why do you help me? (Hina)

-I don't want to miss a potential business partner. (Extimus)

-...I will. But business partner, what do you mean by that? (Hina)

-You have great potential as a mage. That would make you a good business partner. How about signing a contract with me? (Extimus)

-A contract? (Hina)

Thanks for reading.
Extimus's interlude will end in the next chapter ●︿●

 

100