By and By
1.5k 5 105
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Take me with youuuuuu,” I whined after Laura as she climbed into her truck.

“You want to sit around in the truck while I run errands?”

“Noooo, if we stop by the bookstore we can get a glamulet.”

“Glamulet?” 

“Glamour amulet!” I hopped excitedly “We’ll just enchant it so everyone sees me as an ordinary toddler and then we’re in business!”

“I don’t know…”

“Pleaaaase, I’m so boooooored,” I cried and dramatically slumped against the doorframe.

“If that’s what you wanna spend your money on.”

She had only half finished saying as much before I was through the truck’s passenger window and settled in the seat. She blinked in surprise, but didn't comment on my acrobatics. 

I hummed as we made our way, content to actually see something other than sky out the window for once.

In no time we were at the bookstore again. I unbuckled and scooted to the edge of my seat eagerly. “So how are we gonna play this. Are ya gonna carry me in ooooor…” 

She scooped me up and tucked me under her arms.

“Hiya, Tim,” I chirped as we walked through the door. I squirmed out of Laura’s grip and made a beeline to the charmed materials section, not waiting to see if she followed me.

Despite my major being in enchanting, I actually hadn’t spent much time on charmed accessories. The practice was pretty simple, though; I just needed a pre-charged amulet and the spell would be to essentially program the glamour. The best part was I could reprogram a single amulet as many times as I needed while I grew toward unraveling.

By the time Laura found me I had chosen. There was only one in gold, my preferred charming material, so I defaulted to the delicate round locket.

“Whatcha gonna keep in it?” she asked, squatting down to my level for a better look.

“Got nothin’ to put in it.” I shrugged and handed it to her. 

“Did you check the price on this?” Her eyes widened at the tag.

“Yeah, the KT stipend covers it, though, so it’ll be fine.” 

“That’s supposed to be for your new wardrobe.”

“This totally counts,” I argued, and with a sigh she relented.

Laura had to check out for me because Tim’s knotphobia was showing, but otherwise the transaction went smoothly. In no time, we were back to the truck and it was hard at work on the enchantment. 

There’s a misconception that you have to hold a vivid picture of the entire glamour you want to cast all at once for it to stick, but in fact, even folks like me who have trouble visualizing can set up a pretty passable glamour in no time. The trick is to prepare a physical list of details you need to impart and then sorta rattle them off while channeling the spell. So for a toddler, I visualized little parts one at a time. 

In no time I had the glamulet programmed and on.

“Aww, is that what you looked like as a kid?” Laura reached over and pinched my cheek, but I batted her hand away.

“More or less, I think. Regardless, it should be less conspicuous.”

“Are you excited to ride in the cart at the grocery store?” 

“I haven't missed it if that’s what you’re asking. Give it another week and I'll have a teenager glamour, just you wait.”

105