Epilogue
1.9k 43 112
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
This chapter flirts with adult themes.

“Don't forget it's your night to cook,” Laura texted me just as I headed out on my errands.

“I won’t,” I texted back. How could I forget? Tonight was the big night. I’d planned it out for the last month since the moment I realized I was in love. I was so nervous and excited I could hardly stand it. 

Just a few errands stood between me and the perfect night. A trip to the grocery store, the florist, and the liquor store. I had the perfect plan to confess my love to Laura.

I hit the liquor store first, picking up a bottle of wine as well as some more gin since we were low. A few beers caught my eye, but I exerted some self control and abstained.

Next, at the florist, I browsed until something reminded me of Laura. The orchids jumped out at me, so I bought them on impulse. The florist gave me a strange look, but I was definitely wearing my glamulet, so I brushed it off.

The grocery store went quickly enough. I got the fancy steaks, naively basing my idea of fancy heavily on the price, but I reasoned it was probably a solid identifier. I waffled back and forth on what sort of potatoes to pair them with before settling on tater tots. I knew at the very least they would come out alright, and I was still a child at heart, after all.

I got home at the perfect time and set to work. I threw the wine in the fridge to chill, arranged the flowers on the table and preheated the oven for the tater tots and skillet. I even set an alarm on my phone so that I would put in the tater tots at the perfect time. Like clockwork, I heard the garage door and the steaks hit the skillet with a satisfying sizzle. 

“Smells good -- oh, steak!” She wrapped her arms around my waist and kissed my cheek. 

She stood there for a moment before looking to the dining room and giggling in surprise. “Oh, and flowers? What’s the special occasion?” 

I shrugged. “Just wanted to do something special.” I turned back to see her on her phone. Her eyebrow rose and her cheeks flushed as she found what she was looking for. She brushed one of the petals idly and stared off into space for a second before turning to meet my eye. 

“How long until dinner’s ready?” 

I checked the clock and did a quick estimation. “About ten minutes? Why?”

“I'm gonna run through the shower before dinner. I'll be quick.”

I shrugged and turned my attention back to the steak, eyeing my timer to know when to flip them. 

Laura returned as I finished up, resting her elbows on the bar while I prepared our plates and brought them to the table. At the last second, I remembered the wine and grabbed it as well and Laura eagerly took a glass. 

“How was work?” I watched as she drained half her glass before responding.

“It was okay. Nothing much to talk about really. How was your day?” 

“Same, really. I just ran some errands. Picked up some stuff. Wanted to surprise you.”

“Color me surprised.” She beamed across the table. 

I was totally nailing it tonight. We ate in comfortable silence for a few minutes before Laura put down her silverware and folded her hands under her chin. 

“So what did you have planned for tonight?”

I felt a blush heat up on my cheeks as I rehearsed what I wanted to say in my head.

“So I wanted to talk about something that's been on my mind. Uh. For a while now. I never feel like I've thanked you enough for everything you’ve done for me. You’ve been my best friend for forever, it seems, and lately we’ve been closer than ever. I just wanted to tell you… that I love you.”

“Aw, I love you too, babe.” She smiled sweetly and I felt my face heat up.

“Like… I'm in love with you,” I clarified. For a second I thought she was understanding what I meant, but then she frowned.

“I know, babe.” She smiled again and took a drink of her wine, watching me expectantly while I tried to assemble my thoughts. Things seemed salvageable. I could probably avoid fucking this up.

“Would you like to… maybe date?” 

She spit wine on her plate, blessedly not making a mess or staining the table cloth, and wiped at her mouth. Fuck. Fuckity fuck fuck.

“Is that a no?” My heart sank as she coughed and held up a hand. She rubbed the bridge of her nose for a moment and then finally steepled her fingers and stared across at me. 

“Yes, baby, I’d love to date you.” 

I sighed in relief. I hadn’t fucked it up after all. 

She drained the rest of her glass of wine and poured another for herself, making me rather concerned all over again. 

“Is everything okay?”

“Hmm? Oh it's great. I just feel a little silly is all.”

“Why’s that?” I watched as she drained the second glass and set it down a tiny bit harder than necessary. 

“Because I thought,” she held up a hand and counted on her fingers, “the cuddling, pet names, kisses, date nights, and sleeping in each other’s beds put us as officially dating a whole-ass month ago. No, I clearly forgot who I’m in love with.”

“I thought that was normal friendship stuff.” My face burned in embarrassment as she shook her head. 

“But the best part --” she ignored me and barreled on, “-- is these beautiful flowers! Did you know there are meanings you can communicate with flowers?” 

I shook my head. “No,” I murmured, but I don't think she heard me.

“I'll save you the google. Orchids send, I quote, the message of exotic seduction.”

I held my hands to my face, unable to look her in the eye as I died in embarrassment. 

“God, I love you.” I heard her giggle and looked up to see her laughing through tears. 

“I love you too.” I felt at a loss for words. My mind worked double time to recontextualize all the affection we had shared. We’d held hands constantly, practically been joined at the hip, and she had even introduced me to her family as her girlfriend.

“I’m sorry I’m a dumbass.”

“It's okaaaay.” She waved and seemed to notice she was being strange. “What wine is this?” 

“Port…” 

She burst into a fresh fit of giggles “That. Explains. So. Much!” She punctuated each word with a pat on the table.

I didn't bother trying to understand what she meant and I dashed around the table as she tried to stand. 

She wobbled a bit but found her balance.

“I'll sober up in no time, you’re so fuzzy, c’mere.” She smothered me in a hug, but let me direct her to the couch. She flopped unceremoniously and pulled me down on top of her. 

Somehow I managed to get comfortable in her grip. Straddling her hips with my head resting on her chest, I found myself purring despite myself as she pressed my buttons effortlessly. Even while drunk, she remembered my sweet spots and played them flawlessly.

“So precious, my pretty little kitty, you know --” she paused to hiccup, “-- if you had intended to proposition me with the flowers. I would have said yes.”

Somehow I blushed deeper shades of red as she traced random patterns on my back. Over time her movements slowed and she settled for hugging me to her chest. She muttered incoherently for a while until gentle snores took over and I could tell she was asleep. 

Comfortable in her arms, I ended up drifting off as well.

I awoke to a puff of air on my nose, blinking to find Laura’s face in front of mine. She helped me sit up in her lap and I did a big stretch, my yawn dissolving into a purr, much to Laura’s amusement. 

“Goodmorning, my girlfriend whom I am dating and love dearly.” 

I rolled my eyes at her antics, climbing off her lap.

“What? I figured I should be specific. To help us avoid miscommunication!”

I shook my head and pulled her to her feet as well. 

“Message received. May I kiss the messenger?” I stood on tiptoe and she kissed my nose.

“Be specific,” she teased in a sing-song voice.

With a sigh I reached up and tangled my fingers in her hair. She let me pull her down and she kissed me on the lips this time, wrapping her arms around me and holding me to her like I was life itself. 

"You know it's stuff like that that leads to misunderstandings."

I shrugged. "You're the smart one. You'll figure it out." 

"Just as long as you catch up eventually." 

"I feel smarter already," I murmured, suddenly wide awake as she played with the hem of my shirt. 

"Do you need me to stop?" She sounded thoroughly amused for some reason, but I could scarcely concentrate as her hands slid up under my shirt. 

"Yes. I mean no! No. Final answer: no, don't stop. A-at least not yet."

She hummed her understanding and continued to drag my shirt over my head. 

My head was radio static as I watched her hands in slow motion gripping the hem of her own shirt. I cursed my shaky hands as I held her waist, unable to tear my eyes away as I followed her motions up and over her head. 

I was dimly aware of her shirt joining mine on the floor until she held my face, leading me into a kiss that took my breath away. 

"I think I need to sit down." The room seemed to spin slowly as she wove our fingers together and dragged me to her bedroom. 

I fell back onto her bed and barely had my feet off the floor before she was on top of me. She held my hands above my head as she slipped one of her legs between mine and laid down. 

I felt her free hand under me, wiggling under my bra strap as she released my lips for a moment and hovered above me. 

I couldn't move in any meaningful way. All I could do was look into her eyes as I caught my breath. 

She said, "Darling, are you ready for more?"

"More what?" I smirked despite myself. "Be specific."

"Okay." Her eyes took on a predatory glint. "Specifically, I intend to unmake you here in my arms. I want to start with getting the rest of your pretty little clothes off and then, then I want to play with you until the only word left in your little brain is my name."

My mind raced. Part of me was screaming "Oh hell yes," but a small and vocal part of me wasn't ready to be unmade. We stayed in that position for a long time, her patiently waiting on my answer while my mind buzzed trying to find the words to explain why my answer was "No." 

Blessedly, she seemed to understand the mental anguish I was under and she gradually eased her grip. The bed creaked as she lifted herself up off of me and laid down beside me, clasping our hands over my stomach while she waited for my answer. 

From this position the plain truth seemed more bearable.

"I'm not ready to be unmade today."

I shifted to sit up on my knees, holding her hand in my lap as I contemplated what to do next. 

I leaned forward as she sat up, meeting her halfway in a chaste kiss. She started to lay back down and I followed her motions, crawling on top to straddle her hips and laying down. 

She traced random shapes on my back as I purred. 

"I love you," I whispered as I felt myself drifting toward sleep again.

"I love you too, kitten." She held me tight for a moment before resuming her ministrations. 

Warm and content, I felt my consciousness drift away.

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! It's been a blast engaging with y'all this week and sharing this story.


112