Episode 2-B: [傘娘との再会 / Unexpected Reunion]
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All my anger focuses within my fist, rapidly growing in intensity until my entire arm is engulfed in flames. Overcome with the desire to obliterate the object of my ire, it pulls the rest of my body along for the ride.

[Inferno Rebellion].

Fortunately for my target, it's only the desire to obliterate him and not the intent to do so.

So while I'd certainly love to hit him square in the face for the shit he just pulled, I instead rocket right past the screaming coward and hit the ground just in front of him, kicking up a huge explosion at the moment of impact.

"GUWAAAAAAA~"

...which launches the miserable bastard back a fair ways.

Until he finally lands on his face.

Not one to let this opportunity pass, I walk over to this miserable display, kneel down...

"Guh-"

...and while he's in the middle of trying to scramble away in the direction he just ran from, I lift him up by the collar of his ill-fitting suit jacket.

"Listen up," I growl. "I'm done playing aro-"

Before I can even finish speaking, the shifty bastard slips right out of his jacket and lands back on the ground. And thanks to the fact that I'd been supporting his entire bodyweight with a single arm, its sudden absence throws off my balance and sends me stumbling forward just long enough for him to make another break for it.

"HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

But rather than bothering to chase after him a third time, I point at him with a single finger and launch a single onibi his way.

I fully admit to feeling no small amount of satisfaction when it collides with his back and explodes with enough force to send him crashing into the ground face-first.

"That's enough of that," I say, cracking my knuckles as I make my way towards my fallen prey.

But before I can get any closer, a certain someone blocks my path yet again.

"...what now?" I ask, heaving an annoyed sigh.
"......" With her arms outstretched as if that'd do anything to actually stop me, Umbrella Girl stares at me wordlessly.
"Did you forget that this guy just tried to use you as bait to get away?" I ask her. "Why the hell are you still defending him?"
"E-..." she fumbles with her words for a couple of seconds. "...even if he's a bad person, that doesn't mean that I can just abandon him."

Wha?

Seriously?

Even though this guy had no qualms with sacrificing her just to save his own ass?

What, is she actually just that nice a person? Handing her only umbrella to a total stranger is one thing, but this is on an entirely different level...

...wait a minute.

After taking a closer look at this seeming paragon of virtue, I let out a long sigh and start towards her.

"Hey!" Umbrella girl shouts. "I'm not going to let you-"
"Remember what I said before about 'inner light?'" I ask, cutting her off.
"Uh, yeah?" she replies, her expression stiffening up more and more with every step I take towards her.
"Well it turns out that you have it too."
"Eh?"

She completely freezes up.

"And it's t brightest I've seen in quite a while," I say as my mouth curls into a smile. "So, you know..."

Having fully entered the bespectacled girl's personal space, I gently lift up her chin as I draw in closer.

"...I could just as easily take yours instead," I continue. "But are you really willing to give up your own God-given potential for the sake of the whimpering pile of shit behind you?"

Instead of uttering a single word, Umbrella Girl just bites her lip and continues her show of defiance in the face of the clear threat that I pose to her existence.

"Heh."

Letting go of her chin, I draw my hand further upwards.

"Fine..."

And gently set it on top of her fluffy purple head.

"...you win."

Because how could I not reward such an adorable display of bravery with headpats?

"Wha-" she stammers as I rustle her hair. "Are you messing with me?"
"Nope," I shake my head, "I have been humbled by your indomitable spirit."

I mean I am messing with her, but I'm not lying to her.

"Though in the future, you really ought to be more careful about who you defend," I say, finally removing my hand from the fluff. "If not, you'll only end up getting hurt one of these days."

And with that, Enki cooly exits the scene.

------------------------------

Backtracking the way I came, I release my transformation upon reaching the ofuda I placed when I first got here.

FWOOSH

And with a snap of my fingers, it bursts into flame, releasing the [infinite corridor] that it had enacted.

As I make my way out of the alley and back onto the street, I can't help but find myself in a good mood. While my lack of caution was definitely a direct cause of tonight's mission failure, I also got some proof that this world still has at least a few good people left.

"Meh, might as well get something to eat while I'm out."

I think there was a decent ramen place not too far from here...

------------------------------

<Tonight was a bust.>

With a stomach full of noodles and broth, I type out a quick report on my phone as I make my way down the street.

<How'd it go for y>

WHUMP

The sudden impact knocks the phone right out of my hands, and I reflexively dive like two meters to save the expensive piece of technology from smashing onto the concrete. Fortunately, my efforts are successful.

"Sorry about that," I say, quickly bowing in apology to the person I just walked into. "I should've been paying more attention to where I was going."

Having conveyed my sincere apologies, I turn back around and continue on my way.

"Hey, asshole."

...but a sandpapery hand grabs on my wrist and yanks me back before I can.

"Stupid kids on your stupid phones," its angry owner growls, "you got no respect for your elders."
"Uh," I stammer, "I already apologized, so..."
"Y'know, I oughta beat your ass for that," he snaps back.

Seriously? You're threatening me?

Heaving a sigh of annoyance, I finally turn back to get a proper look at this dumbass who's taking up my time.

"......well."

My lips warp into a wide grin.

"You know," I laugh, "it really is a shame that you had to go and waste your chance like this..."
"Eh?"
"...Tachikawa Hidetsugu-san, age 46."

And as the realization of just how bad he messed up sets in, I reach into my pocket with my free hand and bring out another bell.

 

 

Finally got this one out...

As always, any and all feedback is appreciated.

If nothing else, it'll give me more motivation to keep on writing this.

0