Chapter 5: The Human, The Dwarf, and the Elf
69 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

William Benioff: The Bloodied Borough


 

William continued to wave his hands at the disappearing carriage in the distance with a confused smile on his face. He got too distracted with how Elira behaved; like a child during the gift-giving holiday that locals of The Bloodied Borough celebrate every winter.

Elira had always loved new technologies that every innovator seemed to shit on their asses lately. After all, they could only contend with The Innovator with quantity and cheap imitations. Even the carriage that the guild procured for Gerund's mission could not compare to the real deal.

'Did the freaking carriage just drove itself without a driver? I don't think anyone entered the driver side... Oh well, must be a new release.'

Worry replaced his previous expression after the carriage disappeared in the intersection. He had several things to worry about and now seemed to be a good time as any to find solutions for them. He went inside the Merc Hall and found an empty table so he could ruminate in peace.

The Merc Hall branch of the Bloodied Borough has a tavern in its first floor. Mercenaries usually needed a place to gather and the Hall decided to capitalize on it; providing energy-boosting food and alcoholic drinks that everyone loved to imbibe. The mission area was located on the back of the building, past the gathering and eating area. They also provide several meeting rooms on their upper floors but only those that fulfill the requirements could rent them.

The primary worry in William's heart would be Elira's safety. She was stronger than him and he always lost in their sparring matches but he was sure that she isn't strong enough to kill any of the abominations that grew in the forest.

'It's alright, The Barrier Master has a 99% success for escort missions according to my Yearly Idol Newsletter' There was nothing he could do about it anyway so he just went on to his next worry.

William's second worry would be the loss of his composure in front of The Barrier Master. He wanted to at least act like a collected person as impressing one of the Fallen with his Journeyman Rank would be futile. The collected persona disintegrated as he entered the room, though.

'Tens and Thirteens! Why did I act like that?' William wondered at the sudden wreck of emotions that he was in front of Serath but couldn't find a reason, except maybe for his weak will; it's either that or something supernatural.

William just sighed and decided that his first impression was a lost cause and he just had to be thankful that it wasn't The Bloodied Queen. His member would have probably burst from too much blood if he ever gets the chance to meet the voted  -- sexiest woman in Meshiere --, at least according to his Monthly Idol Newsletter.

"Hey there lad, want meh to buy ye a drink? Ye seem to have the world on yer shoulders." A dwarf with the height of a table and a body of a barrel interrupted his thoughts before he could go into his other worries. He was walking towards his table with a female elf as a companion.

"YES!" William immediately answered the dwarf as he really needed one, and the half-man seemed to be genuinely concerned about him. Also, he didn't want the man to retract his offer; he isn't poor per se but he isn't rolling in wealth either.

"A charming young man such as yourself shouldn't worry too much about the happenings in life. I'll add a drink to this silly dwarf's offer," added the tall elven woman with a smile directed at him.

"Oh - ah yes! Thanks!"

William was glad he didn't lose composure in front of the beautiful elf this time; probably because all the elf he knew were beautiful. He silently thanked the Original Humans that got the Elven Constitution Blessing for their descendants and the gift of long-legged creatures with perfect proportions, though William thought female elves could use more chests.

The pair of part-humans took a seat at his table and they made small talk and introductions as they waited for the alcoholic drinks which arrived quickly.

"Please forgive us if we interrupted your contemplation, though I don't think they were good thoughts. My name is Vienna and the dwarf beside me is Balrow. We just arrived in the city yesterday and we don't know many people here yet." The elf was the one who made their introductions while Barlow just chugged one of the mugs of red beer that arrived. 

Unlike elves and demons which are all beautiful, dwarves are as varied as humans. There are dwarves which only differed to humans in height, while there are dwarves that have bearded face and stocky body. Of course, there are those that fall somewhere in between. Balrow was part of the dwarves that looked like a barrel.

William also drank one of the several mugs that occupied their table, happy to have a free drink.

"You guys can just call me William. I was born and bred in this city so if you have any questions, just ask them," he said with a thump on his chest as he tried to impress Vienna.

"How 'bout the important places in this bloodied city lad? Meh eyes are turning red from all the red things in this forsaken city!" Balrow chugged another red beer to prove his point.

William had to laugh at that as non-locals are usually irritated at the red motif the city decided to uphold.

"Well, here's the merc hall, you probably know that already since you're here.. haha" William said in a happy tone and the part-humans just smiled at him. 

'Heh - I'm a funny man'

"If you guys are more into selling stuff, then the Traders are located in the market area, west of the city. Though most people there are snobs, freaking elitist bastards and their tinkling pockets." William finished his current mug and grabbed another one off the table. 

'Huh, the drinks aren't getting any lesser. They're such a generous pair'

"The residential area for locals, mercenaries, and other non-important people like us are located on the east side. The park is in the center of the city if you guys like to frolic in nature -heh - do elves do that? My elven friends don't seem to do that. Do you do that Miss Vienna?" William inquired at the now giggling elf.

"Unfortunately, No. I think you're mistaking elves with the Flora Orleys William." Vienna reminded him of the true locals in their world.

"Huh, you're right. I forgot about them, though there aren't many of the non-humans in this city; only a few Fleys that manages the park and Gleys that helps in building and repairing structures. Did you guys wanted to know more about them?" William didn't want to discuss the Orleys as he wasn't educated about them.

Balrow shook his head at the question, "Nah, what more is to learn about them, lad? 'Am actually interested in yer previous companions. Meh didn't know such high profile mercs are in this city!"

"Ohhhhhh you saw them?!" William brightened at that, eager to discuss idols with the half-man, however weird that may be.

"Bahaha! Lad, everyone's head turned at The Barrier Master and the Wesh Enthusiast when ye people climbed down the stair, and ye came down with them!" Balrow's booming laugh echoed throughout the room and everyone in the vicinity perked up at the mention of the Hall's high-profile visitors.

"I couldn't believe it either! Seeing an idol outside my Weekly Idol Newsletter, a dream come true!" William's face was flushed now, from too much excitement and alcohol.

"So, where have they headed lad? Knowing the Wesh Enthusiast, probably some sort of otherworld business." Balrow was whispering secretly now.  

'Huh, they're interested in Gerund more than Serath? What a weird bunch' William frowned at the thought but still answered the dwarf. 

"In the.. uh whatchamacallit? the Ends Forest! They're meeting some sort of traveler or something... Ugh, my head is spinning" William half-whispered half-shouted at Balrow, he was confused on why Balrow was whispering.

"Don't worry lad, ye can still drink!" William wanted to stop drinking but the dwarf and elf kept offering more mugs at him.

"Did the Wesh Enthusiast say where the world traveler came from?" Vienna seemed to be doing the interrogation now.

'Interrogation? Why did I think of that' William thought with his alcohol addled mind. 

"Oh.... lemme remember... NEW! Mister Gerund said something about new world.. or was it new pants? I think I need a new pants. Serath's pants are tight... even Elira's pants are new, oh I want to be their pants... Heh -- Jasmine should never wear pants...." William was mumbling now.

"The Bloodied Queen lad? Was she part of the team, we didn't see her."

"HAH! I wish! My little Willy would still be full of blood if she was here! Ohhh.. I wish her picture would always grace my Daily Idol Newsletter." William sighed, full of emotions.

"Who's Elira? Was she the demoness?" The elven woman seemed to realize that he already had enough beer as Vienna stopped forcing them on him.

"Elira! My dear dear Elira... pretty thing ain't she, too bad she'd poke my eye out with her horns and strangle me with her tail if I ever make a move on her again..." William was suddenly assaulted by the thought of Elira's tail, strangling him.

"Actually, you know what guys? maybe I'll like that. Tails are good. Hahaha!" He was slamming the table loudly, seemingly unaware of the weird looks he was getting from the neighboring chairs.

"Ye gods of stone and ground, Vienna, you gave him too much to drink" Balrow hissed at the elven woman who was looking dumbfoundedly at William.

"You told me to make him talk! Well, he's talking now!" Vienna whispered back to the dwarf.

"Come on guys! Don't fight! All humans are beautiful! Appreciate them with me! Whatcha lookin at chump, never seen a man who can appreciate beauty before? hey you're quite handsome yourself!" William shouted at the passing demon who was looking weirdly at him.

Vienna hurriedly gave an apology to the demon before turning her attention back to him, "Did the Wesh Enthusiast only hire one of the Fallen?" 

"Hmm, what? oh you're a fan of them too! Good! Good! Honestly, I like the Thirteens better... except for my Jasmine o' Jasmine of course!!" William grinned at the elf.

"Lad, ye didn't answer Vienna's question, or did he actually hire a Thirteens or any of their subordinates?" Balrow's face was scrunched up in annoyance as he reminded William to answer the question.

"Whaa - No! My sweetheart said there's... TWO! Two Fallen.. though I didn't see one otherrrr, you guys saw one other? another one? hehe" William was having trouble keeping his eyes open and he was contemplating of how comfortable tables would be compared to his bed at home.

"He's falling asleep now, from all his act earlier I thought he'd have a high alcohol tolerance." Vienna mumbled as she tried to shake the human awake.

"Hm.... go away." William slapped her hands away and placed his arms on top of the wet table and used it as a pillow.

"Aaaaand he's down. We still don't know who the other one could be, we'll be in trouble if it's any of their main combatants." Vienna whispered to the dwarf, lacing her voice with wind energy so that it would only travel to her partner's ears.

Balrow replied after Vienna enchanted his own voice, "Its yer fault, you gave him too much to drink! We'd have to pay for that ye know! And what main combatants are ye talking about, any of the ten could send us to our graves! Even that kid!"

"At least we got a good news out of him. The world traveler would be from a completely new world, we need to inform the leader so we could properly prepare." Vienna said as she looked at the sleeping man on the table, the tip of his brown hair was getting wet from the spilt beers on the table.

"Hmph, I suppose the lad earned his drinks. Those kind of travelers are very rare and most that arrive here brings artifacts that are unknown in this world." Balrow agreed as he left his chair.

"Lands of Eternal Storm, let's just hope we don't end up like Elierd from this mission." Vienna silently prayed as the two of them paid at the counter and left the Hall.

After the two had left, the waitress tried to wake up William who was still peacefully sleeping at the table.

"Hey Mister, your companions already left. Go away so I can clean this table!" She was used to seeing unconscious men and women in the tavern area of the Hall and being able to handle them is one of the requirements of her employment. 

"Mmm... no... Elira... you can't... huh what?  why am I sticky?" William lazily blinked at the waitress wondering at the wet hair sticking at his face.

"Mister. Go. Away. No sleeping in the tavern, it's not even dark yet!" The waitress fumed at him and he obediently followed the waitress as she led him outside the Hall. 

The harsh glare of the sun greeted him as he exited the building. The light burned at his eyes and he squinted them, wondering if gouging them out would be a less painful ordeal. After a few seconds of convincing himself that he needed them to see, he slowly trudged on his way home with a headache that would probably last him until the night.

William wondered where his benefactors went and tried to remember their conversations. He couldn't remember anything important; that they only talked about certain high profiled persons.

'They sure like the Fallen too' William praised the pair for being such good company. He walked carefully back home, afraid that sudden movements would further upset his stomach. His bladder was also full but he didn't want to return to the Hall to use their water closet. However, there's one reason why William was trying to get back home as fast as possible.

'It's been a few hours since I left home, my Hourly Idol Newsletter should have a couple new things now. Oh boy, I hope they post something about Thirteens this time!'


End of Chapter 5


Notable Terms:

Tens and Thirteens - Expression common in Meshiere. Usually used to express the absurdity of something. 

Lands of Eternal storms --- Elierd  - Expression common in the whole of Lochley. Usually used as a prayer/expression before, during, or after a great danger.

Orleys - The first inhabitants of Lochley. They are the ruling class of Lochley before the First Age of Unity arrived.

Fleys - Flora Orleys

Gleys - Ground Orleys

Weys - Water Orleys

3