Chapter 112 – Assassination Attempt
179 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 112 - Assassination Attempt


"No need, you don't seem like the type to do those things. Especially if you know the power of the Marine and World Government."

"Don't forget something marine, I'm part of that World Government and also the one paying your marine pockets to do nothing when people actually need it." added Vlad when hearing that comment with some anger and disdain in his tone.

"Blame me and my faction as much you wish, this will not change the situation of your kingdom. I'm just a nobody when it comes to the grand plays of kingdoms. I had no say when your father was killed, and now I just continue the status quo without having those crazy nobles push the marine base out of the kingdom."

"Because this place holds great strategic meaning to the World Government." commented Vlad while staring at Kirin.

Kirin just sighed and nodded his head. After that, he asked Vlad what pondered him the most.

"You are preparing yourself to strike the nobles? You want me to do something for you, but there's also a cost to everything, even if you seem like being able to take me down, this means nothing. You take me down and the admirals will start asking questions, and you'll have it even worse."

"Indeed, but you don't have to add that part. I'm neutral in this entire conflict between Pirates and Marines. I could give two flying fucks to both of you, but as I'm standing before you, it means you have your worth.

Listen, I will not keep wasting both of our time. Soon my counterattack will happen. All you have to do is when hell breaks loose, you will keep order in Valent Region. The noble houses of this region who want to escape from Kaysang shall be denied access to their ships or even pass."

"You mean, I should take my fleet and blockade the entire Kaysang, along with Valent City?" asked Kirin with a slightly surprised tone.

Vlad hummed as if noting the quickness of Kirin's response and thinking time and thought to himself.

'This guy sure is a scheming one, a bit questionable, but seems genuine in his convictions and relation with the nobles. You might want to betray me in the future if I give you the entire carrot.

Right, I can do that strategy, to make him work for me.'

Still looking at Kirin, he said to him. "Correct, that is my intent. You don't have to kill, attack or anything else, but blockade the sea around Kaysang and seal off Valent from the fleeing nobles I will also offer you something if everything goes well as pay."

"Hoh, what pay are you thinking, prince?" asked Kirin as if his interest was picked.

"I will confer you with the title and status of Governor of Valent."

Kirin, hearing that, looked in surprise at Vlad and even showed off his shock on his face when he heard such title and role.

Looking at Kirin, who had a pondering expression, he got up and walked to take some sheet papers from another part of the room and along with the fountain pen and its inkwell.

Getting back on his seat, he began drawing something on the paper using this modern pen, and still appreciating the smooth flow of his writing, he commented.

"Good pen. I'm still not used to this day writing my letters using these pens, mostly I would use a quill and some dirty ink. Writing my contracts and documents using these new pens really is convenient."

Kirin, still thinking of what he heard, could care less about this weird comment.

'Governor, me? I could do so many things.'

Then, Vlad, who was done drawing something on the paper, began with the shape of the kingdom they were in. It looked to be split by the sea into two sections with some points on the kingdom shape and later drawing some circles on it. Most of those circles were around the Noble District part of the kingdom.

After that, he began filling the sheet paper with some smaller body shapes, then moved to make some larger body shapes where he noted them with B, and S, which were relatively close to where Kaysang was situated.

Then he passed that shoot paper to Kirin in a casual manner, saying to him.

"As we are seated right now, Kaysang is situated at the center of South Blue. Although we are technically close to the Marineford and Redline where the World Nobles are residing, there's also the Calm Belt where one can inject itself directly to the Grand Line and then journey to the rest of the world with the risk of facing those sea monsters.

My kingdom sits in the best position to be accessed by the rest of the South Blue. Once I become Prince, the process of spreading my influence will grow exponentially, and guess what will happen?"

"People will want to trade with you? Or is something else?" said Kirin as he stared at a basic map representing the neighbors and sphere of influence Kaysang had over its smaller neighbors, but which still held precision in the pen strokes.

"There's more than that Commodore, but some of your guesses are right. Trade. Where there is trade, there's money to be found. Where there is money there is power to be grasped. You being Governor of Valent, along with your job as Commodore will increase your status and power."

"But, Prince, my superior doesn't allow us to take other jobs except the one assigned. I will have to resign from my marine job to do that."

"No need for such actions. There are so many ways to seal this problem. Who says people need to know you are Governor? You'll still be Commodore Kirin, however you will also get my acceptance to govern the Valent region. If you are curious how big Valent Region is, look at the square that is located at the sea exit."

Kirin turned his attention to the basic draw of Kaysang and the dot at the kingdom's sea access. The sphere was quite generous and also contained a mountainous zone that might hold some resources.

'This sure is a lot, but is this job worthed? Still, better talk with the prince, maybe he might offer something more than that.'

"This could actually work. But why would you do this? I'm just a guy stationed here by my superiors to maintain peace over South Blue."

'That's because you'll be helpful, but I'm not someone who makes marionettes out of people.' thought Vlad while looking at Kirin with a calm expression.

"That's also something I wish to keep, peace. But I think you did a good job keeping Valent Region safe and stable. In my recent walks around the city, I haven't seen beggars, so this means people have jobs here and can feed themselves and their families. Which means you are a competent guy if you overlooked this region for so many years."

"Being a Governor is like a Mayor right?"

"Yes, but you aren't just the Mayor of Valent city, but you'll also administer the Valent Region for me."

'This means, I can rule this place as I wish? No, that wasn't it. He specifically said that I will administer the region in his place. Wait a minute, this boy wants me to become his servant? Aren't you arrogant boy, You weren't even born when I was wandering the seas.'

Still, Kirin kept the appearance that he was pondering on a hard choice.

'Still, this doesn't mean that I have to become his henchman if I accept this offer. Governor of Valent, sounds nice, also if Kaysang grows more in power, doesn't this mean that I also have a chance to show off my status, and also get promoted by the old guys?'

'Ahh, my dream. I only have one dream and that is to return back home with great status. I promised my parents and village people that I will show them that I will become an important person.'

'This is my chance. Prince Vlad from what I sense probably, if not most likely awakened his haki. He's young, maybe 17 years old. This is already too good, to have a shrewd, calculated, and intelligent ruler, and on top of that a powerful person. What could Kaysang become in the future with him on the throne?'

Vlad, seeing some emotions fluctuating in Kirin, just looked at him calmly and asked again.

"So what do you say, Commodore? Will you be Governor of Valent and watch over my people?"

"How long?" asked Kirin while looking at Vlad's calm face.

"How long you want to be Governor and also, as long you don't mess something and make me disappointed."

After thinking for a bit more, Kirin finally raised his head to look properly at Vlad and said to him with a confident tone.

"Then I accept your offer, Prince."

"Good, it will be a choice you will never regret, Commodore. Heh, wait until Kaysang grows in power and influence, you'll soon turn an admiral."

'Who are you kidding with, boy. To become a vice-admiral I need haki. I've trained hard, but there's clearly no sign of me awakening my haki. Damn it. Damn those instructors that looked down on me, seeing me just a mediocre guy and never fully focusing their training on me and my other colleagues.'

Still, in his anger and frustration over the marines, Kirin thought of the influence Lacilet had and how big the number of his troops was that even him summoning all the garrisons spread around South Blue, will have trouble dealing with it.

Trying to make Vlad aware of this possible danger, he said to him.

"Prince Vlad, I kind of understand the situation you are in, and clearly your grasp on power is still small because Lacillet controls half of the kingdom together with his noble faction. Since you are willing to offer such generous treatment to someone you barely knew, I will do you some favors and tell you information about Lacilet."

"Heh, where is the rush Commodore, or the enemy will not run so fast after settling here like some parasites sucking on blood. Before that, let's draw a contract between us so the agreement between us is sealed."

Then as Vlad took another sheet of paper and took the fountain pen to write the contract, there was the sound of the door knocking.

Vlad canceled his [Blood World] ability, and after giving Kirin the signal that it was okay, he responded to the knocking.

"It's open, you can enter inside."

Two young guys that seemed to be around 18-20 years made their way inside, wearing the standard chore boy uniform.

"Sir Kirin, we brought the coffee you asked for, also we brought one for your esteemed guest." said the one that seemed to be the oldest while waiting for Kirin's confirmation.

"Ohh, you've come. Come put the cups on the table. Sir Vlad, do you drink coffee? It's from Salgletius brought, coming freshly from the neighboring islands."

The chore boys walked normally, placing a cup to Vlad and the other one to Kirin, and walked back to the door as if nothing big happened.

Vlad looked at the cup of coffee that was just brewed and which released steam, and as the steam entered his nostrils, he felt something entering his bloodstream.

--" Master, I think we got unexpected guests."--

This whisper rung in his ears by the dark entity passed by as Vlad was focused on encircling the substance that made its way inside his bloodstream.

'This stuff is so potent. With only the steam released it could prove harmful for a normal person. Ahh, this Kirin guy is dead meat if he drinks that.'

Suddenly, he rose up, and with a surprising show of force, blood began to flow in the entire room from his body, covering and entrapment the two chore boys and surprising Kirin in stopping drinking the coffee.

"Sir Vlad, what is the meaning of this?" asked Kirin, taken by surprise by this sudden ability.

"Hmph, you should be thankful that you stopped drinking that coffee or you would be joining the dead."

"Wait, what!? Poison? Those two, could it be?" asked Kirin while his expression turned cold while looking at the two young guys who also reacted.

"No way, sir. We clearly brewed the coffee using the coffee beans brought from Sagletius. We didn't poison anything."

Vlad looked coldly at the two assassins, and with the shifting of his eye color, the two of the chore boys felt a sudden pulse around their heart.

'This guy, who he is!? We didn't receive any information from Lacilet that such a person sits next to Kirin.'

'Shit, this guy seems to be the type to not care about innocent-looking boys. We failed the mission.'

"Hmmm, you managed to keep your pulsing hearts in check even after I stimulated them, impressive. But, I bet you can't stop this one."

As Vlad said that, he extended his white right hand and did a wave with it that released a form of dark wave going toward the two assassins.

The two young guys sensed something frigid moving in their direction and thought to act, but seeing some chance that them doing nothing would fool the two, thinking they were innocent, they remained in place.

Suddenly after the dark wave made contact with the two, they felt weird and heard some sinister voices ringing in their ears. Maniacal laughter and with some nightmarish visions, one chore boy dropped on his knee and suddenly brought a dagger from his hidden compartment and stabbed himself in hand.

"ARGH!?"

The same was done by the other one.

"What business does a person of your power do here, around the weaklings of the Blues? Your place doesn't belong here!?" screamed the older chore boy, or better said, Dark Union assassin.

"Ohh, you even managed to keep your clarity even after experiencing [Mind Shatter] and [Nightmare]. The monsters from the Dark Union sure know to train their youngsters. However, it seems you guys are unlucky to have encountered me today with this marine officer."

The two chore boys grabbed hold of their marine clothes and ripped them apart, revealing dark battle clothes belonging to the assassins.

"Hmph, don't think we'll go down without even stabbing you once. Don't forget you killing us will pick up Lord Cranfon and Lord Allestar attention and you will be killed for sure."

Vlad just revealed an evil and sinister smile as he heard those haunting names haunting him since his grandfather revealed their identity. He managed to overhear from one of Lacilet's talks.

"They can try, but they soon will also join you."

Before he could even make the first attack, he felt a slight wind run around him and also heard Kirin say as the winds blowing in the [Blood World] got stronger by an attack.

"[Soru]"

"[Finger Gun - Eagle Beak]"

Kirin arrived relatively close to the assassins, and with a finger that used a lot of energy, the shape of an eagle beak was released, moving toward one of those young assassins.

"Hmph, you Marine dogs, still use those outdated techniques established by our masters for you to train."

"[Shadow Step]"

Both said that and they suddenly disappeared from Kirin's attack zone, and one appeared in front of Vlad while the other got to Kirin's back, and with a dagger that released a bit of green aura, as if they were heavily poisonous, they cried out.

"[Snake Fang]"

However, Kirin reacted fast and did another ability that he was proficient in from the Six Powers while using [Soru] to escape from the soon to be attack.

"[Tempest Kick - Lions Tail]"

Striking toward the assassin, who noticed that Kirin was missing from his dagger range, using a leg strike that began sending a wind blade that had the shape akin of a lion's tail moving menancely at the young assassin.

He also prepared to attack Kirin to counter the attack, but suddenly the floor under his feet morphed into some skeletal hands that grabbed his legs.

"AHHH, I forgot about that monster. [Shadow Veil]"

Calling another ability, the assassin seemed to envelope himself in some smoke that circled around him that slowed down the power of the tempest kick.

Meanwhile, on Vlad's side, from the time the young assassin called his dagger attack, Vlad created a small blood sword that parried the assassin's attack.

Then as he blocked this attack using a blood sword,  his eyes began shining with crimson color, and blood began to morph under the assassin's legs in the shapes of thorns that began moving at him.

As he kept the assassin busy dodging the thorns, he began letting blood flow down from his hand and as it began flowing down, morphing in the shape of a longsword shaped like Nemesis.

A long slender sword that was good at thrusting and at the same time at slashing.

"Damn those thorns. Are you some logia type devil fruit user to play with your element like this?" commented the assassin who dodged and destroyed the thorns attacking him.

"Fortunately, no. If I was a logia type, my ability would look different."

"Stop bullshitting, this type of ability looks like a logia one. Damned monster. He doesn't even know what fruit power he has."

When Vlad heard that still with an evil smile, he pushed his armament into the blood sword, and with a dropping motion, the sword began flying toward the young assassin.

"ARGH!? WHAT WAS THAT!?" screamed the assassin, who looked at the deep wound he suffered after the blood sword passed past his sides.

"No, not yet. At least one wound before I give my last breath." said the assassin to himself, while suddenly grabbing hold of 3 smoke bombs and dropping them around the side of the room he was fighting with Vlad.

"Sigh, that thing again? That one happened to me 2 years ago, when I got ambushed by you guys."

Seeing this smoke approaching him and even blocking his Observation ability, which surprised him greatly, he summoned back the blood sword.

Staring around himself, he gripped the hilt of the sword, and all of a sudden dark smoke began being released from the crimson blade.

'[Banshee's Scream]'

Saying the sword attack in his mind, he executed a strong spinning attack that blasted everything around his attack range.

A scream belonging to a woman could be sworn to be heard as the dark sword wave began spreading around the entire [Blood World].

Even Kirin was affected by this hellish scream.

'WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!? Damn, I feel some ticklish sensation on my spine. Was that Prince Vermilion ability? Most likely, I can't see those two bastards even dreaming of achieving such an effect. This is what the strong, similar to the admirals looks like?'

Then seconds later, the young assassin released a roar and scream of pain, and with the smoke that was dispersed, he came in Vlad's eyesight, looking with red eyes at him.

"Little bug, that smoke scream, what was that. It could even block my Observation powers. If you tell me, I will not kill you."

"Hmph, do you think I would share the formula of the great masters that they have been perfecting for hundreds of years?" NEVER!? I WILL WAIT FOR YOU IN HELL."

As the young assassin said, he suddenly stabbed his heart and committed suicide without even the slightest slowness in his action. Unfortunately, doing so also stopped Vlad from finding out more information on Dark Union directly from them.

Vlad looked a bit surprised, but the coldness in his eyes intensified, and turning to look at Kirin and the other assassin, he saw the same scene where the assassin took his dagger and began the suicide motion.

Feeling that a good information source was soon going to fade, he reacted. Blood tears began dropping from his crimson eyes, and the zone where the young assassin was suddenly boiled and blood beginning to morph into the shape of chains moving quickly toward him.

However, he was seconds later, making him say in a cold tone.

"Damned parasites. Even in death, they can't be useful. I also still can't keep them alive by sewing their hearts using my blood power. Fucking parasites."

Kirin, who saw this display of power, was the guy who just killed himself being stabbed around my chains and chained by a blood-red raised platform.

"Prince Vlad, those guys, were they?"

"Indeed Kirin, welcome to the club. You've just become the target of the Dark Union. Also, guess what, the marines can't do shit to help you in this situation."

"ARGH!? This is so frustrating. I've been reading and studying books about the human body for 3 years and I still can't keep them alive even after they stabbed their hearts. Do you know how many that is? Your entire library!?"

Seeing Vlad this angry and seeming to let a bit of his emotions out, Kirin contemplated what Vlad said to him and what he heard the assassin tell him.

'Their masters created the six great powers? Is that real? Then if that's really the case, who and what are those guys? Why would such guys be interested in this kingdom? Fuck, this is to much for me, just a Commodore to handle. Should I report back to the HQ?'

Vlad calmed himself down after swearing the corpses of those two assassins and looked at Kirin, saying to him in a composed tone.

"You better don't report to the marines. Not yet. Those Dark Union rats have spread their grasp around most institutions of power. My speculation is that even the marines are infested by those guys. So, if you really cherish your life, better listen to my advice."

"I understand prince, but let me ask you. Those two said something about some Cranfon or Allestar. Who are those two, do you know anything?"

"Them? Those two are strong, I can't call them rats, when two years ago I was stomped on by one of them, probably the one Allestar. As for the guy called Cranfon, from the tone of those parasites, that guy must be the big deal."

Kirin paled a bit when he heard Vlad's comment about Oliver, who he never meet, and Wincester, who made him run for dear life, even after releasing the potent power of his dark mark.

"Fuck. Doesn't this mean, I will be targeted by those two for killing those two guys?"

"Probably no. Guessing their power, I can tell you this. They don't care about weaklings, so they will just send their little rats to annoy you."

"Ahh, that's a bit calming I guess."

"Indeed. You can handle the little rats. But you are susceptible to sneak attacks, such as this poisoned coffee. Let's get down to the table and finish the contract, I also have a big mark on my head if those rats began acting."

He made himself a seat using his blood powers since the ones he was standing on got destroyed by the assassin.

Kirin was a bit luckier, still having his chair. Getting back on the desk and staring at the coffee cups, he asked Vlad who was writing the contract.

"What should I do with the coffee?"

"Do some tests using rats? Test the potency of the poison. Well, I will take my cup and do some analysis."

 

A/N: Here we go guys, yet another good chapter coming from me. There's really a lot happening and being told in this one. Marines? Dark Union? Their powers?

Yet, Vlad just wants to remain neutral, not giving two flying fucks about those factions. While also scheming on the rest of them.

Thoughts on the fight? Good fight? I thought I got a bit rusty doing those slice-of-life chapters.

-

P.S.: Guys could you do a review for me, if you are in the mood? Let others read your experiences with my story so they don't leave like little mice before they even reach the good stuff. Also kindly do a rating since I only have 16 guys who did rate my story, but only 10 who actually reach this stage, and the rest gone before they could reach VOL 2.

-

Join my discord https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

4