Chapter 90 – Seaman vs Lieutenant
242 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 90 - Seaman vs Lieutenant


A couple of weeks have passed since Vlad and Opheltius got back to Sun District.

With this passage of time, things managed to settle down a bit, especially the wasp nest called the Assassin Guild that Vlad stirred up 3 weeks ago calmed down from pressuring the citizens of Dawn District and resumed their continuous search for Opheltius.

The old king got used to this new lifestyle close to his lost grandchild, and that he had to teach the orphans from the orphanage, who increased in number since Vlad picked the initial 5, now numbering to a number of 20.

The old man found new things each day, especially when he met Robert and discovered his origins.

***

"You're saying that you come from Antulumn Kingdom, little Robert? Hmm, I have never visited the kingdom, but I met the king at the King's Assembly, he was a good person."

"Old Opheltius I wasn't even born when you met King Antum, but when I left the kingdom he was still alive. As for now, I don't know."

"Don't worry little Robert. You'll get home soon."

"Thank you old man, I can only hope that my parents and sister are doing fine. Otherwise I can't bring myself to face them after all these years."

***

Talking with Robert was a pleasant experience for Opheltius. He liked this intelligent boy who clearly had a great love for his family and a sense of honor already established from his young age.

He would at times watch Vlad train Robert and the gryphon, who when he found was the Sky Guardian from the "Legends of Athlas" viewed him slightly differently until he would behave like a cheeky brat.

"Hah, these peaceful old days are truly doing wonders to my body. Thank you God for letting me meet my dear grandson before I would die. I'm no longer alone to shoulder the weight of the kingdom by myself. Even the citizens still remember me and view me with respect, even though things turned out in that manner."

..............

Having Opheltius around did well for everyone inside the secluded zone inside the Forbidden Forest. The orphans got used to the old man rather quickly, calling him from their first lesson "Grandpa Tius" and listening with great interest to his stories.

Apart from that, the Sun District started welcoming new projects such as the construction of the Opera House and new waves of citizens coming from the villages and cities neighboring Sagletius.

The people inside taverns and restaurants talked about those new projects like it was their past time to gossip about the latest projects taking place in Sun District.

"Hey guys, do you know when this new project by Sir Kavos would be done?

"I don't know to tell you for certain, but looking at how things are progressing, this project should be done at the end of the year?"

"Wow, that's quite a lot of time, but if it's as Sir Kavos explained, this building would be a place where artists would perform."

"It's a good project for us because aside from working, eating and sleeping, we also need some entertainment."

"Haha, I'm fine with a strong drink. We could also go to Dawn District for certain types of entertainment, but that's if you want to get pleased. For us guys with families, it's a useless place."

Turning away from the tavern, inside the Royal Palace, Duke Lacillet seemed to look displeased at a group of 12 nobles who looked up at him from the throne he was seated.

"So you managed to get Mayer's businesses?"

"Lord, someone acted fasted and took over most of the important businesses belonging to that fat bastard." said one middle-aged noble, looking a bit down.

"What have we lost?" asked Lacilet while frowning.

"The mines, the casino in Valent and the mansion inside the commoners district." added another noble, looking down on the ground after seeing that Lacilet's face was red from anger.

"HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!? HOW COULD YOU LOSE THOSE THINGS YOU INCOMPETENT FOOL'S!?"

"Your Grace! We tried everything. Let us explain to you what actually happened. First, we quickly tried to take over the mines with some of our men as Your Grace ordered, but when we arrived there, the guards tasked with keeping the mining camp in check blocked our access and demanded, saying that the mines already has a new owner.

"They even showed us a contract, here it is Your Grace."

One of the nobles took a piece of paper for his impeccable coat and walked toward the throne giving Duke Lacilet what they were given by the guards.

*** Dear noble.

We guards of Kalerna Mountain Mine, tasked by the king himself with the critical job of watching over the prisoners and mine, deny this blatant attempt at overthrowing His Majesty's decrees.

The nobles have no right over the Kalerna Mines.

Following the rights conferred to us by the king in his decree, we can choose someone else to administer the mines until further decrees of the king.

This choice was done when news of Mayer Loftso, the past administrator of the mines, passed away without leaving any heirs to his name.

Signed by Anastas Beloros, Senior Guard of Kalerna Mines ***

When Lacilet Vestios finished reading the letter, he took a deep breath to calm himself before looking coldly at the nobles.

"Those guys indeed have that right. I'll not waste my time reclaiming something that is tricky to get. NEXT EXPLANATION!?"

"Yes, yes. Your Grace, a part of us went toward Valent to take over the casino, but by the time we arrived there, the gangs in the underground backed down some newcomers in the market. The guy who took over the casino calls himself Peter, a very cold looking commoner."

"That's right Your Grace that commoner almost slashed our heads clean when we tried to put him in his place for talking to nobles down."

"SHUT UP YOU FOOL'S!? You couldn't even have those dirty peasants from Valent back you up. Let me see if I can solve this problem. Baron Tyrrel bring my Den-Den Mushi's."

The square-faced noble who kept his head down reacted immediately, walking out of the throne room and not too long bringing out some snails with him.

Taking one of the snails while his breath began made one of the snails placed around him turn green pale.

*Puru-Puru*, *Puru-Puru*, *Puru-Puru* The snails kept ringing for a while, leaving a very somber atmosphere inside the throne room.

*Gotcha*

"Hello this is Commodore Kirin talking. Is there any problem my dear Duke?" the voice of the marine officer resounded inside the throne room, keeping the nobles tense.

"Kirin, this wasn't the agreement we made at that time. What happened with the casino is a slap in my face."

"Duke, I don't understand at what you're referring to, can you brief me with the information."

"You know very well at what I'm referring to."

"Sorry lord Duke but I'm just a simple marine officer minding his own business, protecting the seas of South Blue."

"Cut the crap Kirin. Why did you let that guy take my casino!?"

"Ohh, so you're referring to that Your Grace. I couldn't do nothing against the gangs interfering in Valent who stopped your little dogs. My job is to protect the Valent city and give safety to South Blue."

When hearing Kirin call them dogs, the nobles turned mad but kept quiet when seeing Lacilet's furious face and a green miasma around him.

"You betraying bastard, so that's how you want to play? After what I offered you, to come at me with such a backstab. You'll regret it for sure."

"Your Grace, I think you should keep it low with the threat, especially when it comes to a marine officer. There are some things that you would rather don't say to me if you know what I mean.

Well, anyway. It seems you're a bit angry, maybe talk to me when you calm a bit.

Have a good day Duke Lacilet."

*Gotcha*

"Argh!? That betraying bastard, he dares to do that. What are you incompetent fools staring at like idiots that you are!?"

"Get out already you fools!"

The nobles heard Lacilet's furious voice and quickly rushed out when seeing that the green miasma was approaching them.

By the time they left, the telephonic snails around the Duke had died with a pale green complexion.

On the other part of the transmission, a middle-aged man wearing a clean marine suit with the stripes of a Commodore looked at the telephonic snail with a sly smile on his face.

He lit a cigar for himself before taking a big breath of smoke. As he was exhaling the smoke, he said to himself.

"Ohh, poor duke, you clearly can't see the situation you are inside right now. Surrounded from all sides by hungry sharks that are willing to eat you alive at the smallest weakness you show.

I don't want to be part of a losing war, so letting that Peter guy take over the casino and also getting 20% of the profits is a bonus for me. Something that a petty person like you could give."

"Chore boys come for a bit!"

Yelled Commodore Kirin in a higher tone after finishing talking with himself.

Soon two young boys around 13 and 15 arrived in front of him with forced smiles on their faces.

"Who are you two? Where's Kipset and Inorra?" asked Kirin confused when seeing these new chore boys appearing inside.

"Senior Kipset and Inorra were selected to go to the Headquarters, sir. Don't you remember it was one week ago?"

"Aaaaa, yes, yes. So those lads were selected to go to the Headquarters. Good for them, they have a bright future ahead of them. Now, do you two know how to make coffee?"

"No problem sir. Senior Kipset and Inorra taught us before leaving what you like."

"Ahh, good. Those two boys sure were considerate of me. Then you know what to do, I want the coffee with the beans from Picodras."

The two new chore boys responded in a high tone before quickly leaving the office, inside only Kirin remaining, sighing and saying.

"It's been a while since I've went to the HQ. Maybe if I revisit again the HQ I will meet those lads in fledged marine officers."

......….

Moving along with the view of a sparrow, the outline of an island that hosted a great pagoda-like building that had a large JUSTICE  written on it.

Moving toward this island that had this grand building was a marine ship that held all short of young men sitting staring with admiration at this building, two among the many young men were the tanned Kipset and Inorra.

"Kip, we finally arrived at the Headquarters. Look man, that giant building is the base of the entire marines, and we got selected to be here."

Kipset, who by now was 18 years old, totally changed from the boy who spent his childhood inside Mayer's mine together with Vlad and Inorra.

"Don't get overexcited Inor, we still don't even know what job we will have when we arrive."

"It doesn't matter. We have been Kirin's chore boys for one year to get the chance to take that test. Do you think I care if we will be chore boys here at the HQ?

Then as Kipset and Inorra were talking, the voice of a middle-aged man stuck to their ears.

"Hah, you brats still think you joined the Marine Headquarters? You've only been selected to take the test to get started inside the base. So don't take your hopes to higher grounds because the test will be hard."

The whispering of the young men intensified when this middle-aged guy that had a mustache and stubbly beard appeared in their view. The one thing that stuck the most about his appearance was the scar on his right eye.

"Understood, sir Catacombo."

"It's Rear Admiral Catacombo you brats!?"

As he ended saying that, he walked to the officer's quarters and waited for the ship to arrive at Marineford harbor.

Once Catacombo went away, Inorra looked at Kipset and chuckled a bit, continuing after by saying.

"These guys haven't met Vlad, to tell us that is quite funny. The tests he placed us were truly hard, so even if we two didn't fully got selected, all we have to do is show them what we can do."

"You're right Inorra, Vlad's swordplay is at another level compared to the lieutenants from the base. I could even keep up with Captain Moris for a bit."

"Haha, stop telling fake stories you country bumpkin. Do you even know what a marine captain is capable of? Hmph, you're clearly bullshiting here." commented a lieutenant from Rear Admiral Catacombo command.

"What did you say you loser? I dare you repeat it again." said Inorra with a slightly annoyed expression on his face.

"Hmph, you're just a country bumpkin. Come do one of you two accept a duel with me. Let us see if you're full of shit or not."

Kipset, who was empty-handed looked at the lieutenant with a calm expression on his slightly handsome face, and with his hazel eyes, he gave the lieutenant a look before opening his mouth.

"I have no problem fighting you, let's do it once we get off the ship. Do you agree?"

"Haha, why shouldn't I agree in smashing a little seaman like you. You're on"

The news of a duel between a seaman and one of his officers arrived at the ears of the Rear Admiral, who was seated inside the officer's quarters with 5 other guys.

"Sir, one of the lieutenants challenged a recruit who's taking the HQ test to a duel."

Catacombo laughed a bit along with some of his closet officers and waved off the guy who sent him the news.

"Let them do as they wish, once inside Marineford maybe the lad gets noticed by the old guys who just retired."

"Understood sir!"

As the marine who reported that left, the officers laughed a bit heartily.

"I really want to see that seaman against the lieutenant. Who's up for a bet?"

"My entire salary for one month, I bet on the lieutenant."

Quickly the bets were made until the Rear Admiral looked a bit annoyed at his officers and said with a dull tone.

"You leave me no choice but to bet on that brat. Fine, I got some money spared, so let's go with the brat. But if the brat wins you better keep to the bet."

"Hehe, easy money, sir. You really shouldn't bet against us."

Soon as the news propagated, the atmosphere inside the warship turned into some sort of festival where seaman who were trying the test for HQ and the marines commanded by Catacombo began betting against one another.

"Brother Kip, you better crush that piece of shit. I bet all my money on you. We'll make lots of money from the start, with that we can buy some good swords."

"Don't worry Inor. Just watch the fight."

Following that, once the warship arrived at the harbor, the marines began getting out of the ship, but they didn't scatter apart. Instead, they started making way around the harbor for Kipset and the lieutenant.

"Fight, fight, fight."

The voices of the marines from Catacombo's ship resounded inside the harbor, stirring the interest of the other marines and officers.

At that time, a middle-aged guy with a black mohawk and a long mustache was passing along the harbor and noticed the commotion happening.

Approaching this circle made by the marines, he saw a young seaman with tanned skin and black hair looking with a calm face at one marine officer.

"Fight, fight, fight."

Back to the center of the commotion, Kipset stared casually at the lieutenant, and before the fight started, he gazed around the marines.

"Can anyone of you lend me their sword? It doesn't matter the type."

"Haha, look at that pitiful seaman, he doesn't even have a sword." laughed the marines around the fight circle, amused by Kipset.

"Here man take this sword, just lend it back after you lose." said one marine from the crowd who tossed him a saber that later was caught by Kipset.

Doing some fast cuts with the saber, as if to test the sword's sharpness, he turned to the marine and thanked him with a smile.

"Good sword. Thanks a lot, I'll pay you back after this fight."

"Haha, sure, sure. Just don't get killed man."

Waving at him, Kipset turned toward the lieutenant and said to him while taking a Longpoint Guard stance.

"Let's get started. Don't collapse to fast."

"Hehe, you're overestimating yourself brat. I'll put you in your place very soon."

As the marine lieutenant ended saying that, Kipset already arrived in front of him while using a unique footstep and sword style he had never seen around.

Then as Kipset arrived in front of the lieutenant, he did a thrusting strike that pushed the marine a bit.

"Whoaaa. Have you seen that!? The brat pushed the officer."

"Hmph, that's just luck. Just wait a bit, maybe that lieutenant hasn't warm up for the fight."

Yet those comments from the marines who watched the fight were more like a slap in their face.

Kipset totally dominated the marine in the swordfight using what Vlad taught him almost 2 years ago.

Using a continuous barrage of strikes while changing his sword stances constantly, from Longpoint Guard to Wrath Guard.

The steps he took as he was striking were so flawless that it made the middle-aged guy with the black mohawk whistle impressed by what he saw.

"That brat, his swordplay is simple yet so powerful to combat it. His footsteps work in sincrony with his strikes and blocks, it seems we have quite the young prospects this year."

Yet, his comments didn't affect the fight at all. The dismantlement of the lieutenant continued while Kipset eyes turned cold as if he was remembering the days Vlad was imprinting his swordplay in him while young.

Moving at a high tempo, Kipset began doing a series of thrusts and ruthless strikes to the marine's hands, leaving him with open cuts.

'Big brother Vlad, I'll not shame your swordplay one bit. I will teach those arrogant bastards that your swordplay is stellar.'

Seeing that the lieutenant wanted to counter with, Kipset just snorted and took a step back before sending a quick kick to his stomach, planting him on the ground puking a bit some food leftovers.

"My god, that rookie is a genius."

"Hmph, he fought only a idiot lieutenant who knew only how to turtle himself and leave the brat strike him."

When the high officers heard those types of comments, they snorted to themselves, saying for the other seaman.

"Is not like he has another choice. The speed the rookie began his strikes is crazy. Even his sword style, I've never seen it around.

You tell me, fool, would you be able to block those types of strikes coming from all those switching directions? If you open yourself, you're doomed. Just look at that lieutenant hands, and you'll understand." explained one commodore for the lower-ranked marines what actually happens.

The other marines who listened to the commodore explanation watched the fight this time with that in mind, and rather quickly some facepalmed themselves or cursed themselves.

"So that's what is going on."

Meanwhile, Kipset saw that the lieutenant was finished but kept standing because of something he rather hated about the marines, their stupid and insignificant arrogance.

He finally stopped with a high tempo of strikes and took some steps back, staring at the officer as he took another stance the marines haven't seen.

(Flashback to when Vlad was teaching Kipset and Inorra his swordplay)

"The Fool's Guard is one of my favorite sword guards along with Wrath. Usually, I use them when I want to end someone, but I'm too lazy to fight since when I reached an age, my body began giving up on me.

Go on Kipset, try attacking me while I'm in Fool's Guards, see what happens."

Kipset nodded his head and took a High Guard stance, quickly after that following with a vertical strike on a defenseless Vlad.

But as he was going for his body, Vlad just raised his sword and took some steps forward, moving along with the sword that blocked his strike toward the throat.

"Do you understand why this guard is called the Fool's One?"

"Because only the foolish would attack someone in that guard."

"Haha, that's one part of the story. The rest I'll let you find out in the future."

(End of the Flashback)

Back to the fighting circle, Kipset assumed the Fool's Guard looked down at the officer and just gave a cold smile to the angry marine.

"You fool, don't think I'm done yet. I'll end you this time."

As he said that, he rushed toward Kipset who's face remained in the same calm state.

Seeing the lieutenant rush like this made the middle-aged guy with the black mohawk shake his head, saying under his breath.

"That's a trap you fool."

Yet this message didn't reach the marine ears, and he just attacked with a ruthless strike from the top.

The marines finally began celebrating that their bet was going to win, but their celebration shattered when Kipset raised his dropped sword and blocked the strike. Following that, he took a step as he moved along with the blocked sword and placed his sword blade on the lieutenant's throat skin.

"I lost." said the lieutenant while gritting his teeth.

"Good fight man. You just have to experience a bit of the cruel reality and polish your skills and you'll for sure get better."

Taking the sword back, he walked toward the guy who lent him the sword.

"Here take your sword back. Thanks for lending it to me. Hey Inor, come give this guy some money for lending the sword."

"No need, no need. You can keep the sword man. Your fight was spectacular."

"I don't really like sabers, longswords are my specialty."

Soon, before he ended saying, the voice of the middle-aged guy with the black mohawk was heard close to Kipset.

"Young man, who taught you that Swordplay?"

The other marines finally reacted to who was talking and said with shocked voices.

"Vice-Admiral Momonga!"

"Hmph, you fools get to your stations already."

"YES SIR!?"

Quickly the harbor began getting less populated, and Momonga asked Kipset again in a calm manner.

"So lad, who taught you that type of Swordplay?"

Looking at this Vice-Admiral in front of him, Kipset felt that he was looked at by Vlad when he would ask him something.

"It was my big brother who thought me that."

"Hoh, interesting. Is this brother with you, that smaller boy?"

"No, no. That one is my younger brother, my big brother remained home, in South Blue."

"I see, that's unfortunate. Before I leave, can you tell me from what kingdom or island are you from?"

"There's no problem sir. We two brothers come from Kaysang Kingdom."

When Kipset ended saying that, the middle-aged guy nodded his head a bit before patting his shoulder.

"Good luck lad, you're here for the HQ test, right?"

"That's right, thanks for the words sir."

Momonga nodded his head and also walked toward the great pagoda while murmuring something that only he could hear.

"Once I get a vacation I'll visit this Kaysang Kingdom and see for myself if the one who made such a swordstyle is capable of something."

 

Morpheus's Notes: Guys, my main pc died yesterday, and simply I wasn't in the mood to edit(very frustrating situation) or check this new chapter + that I lacked some things on my backup laptop which is as old as one could get (4GB - ram/ I3-5000 processor and some low nvidia graphics)

But hey at least it works decent enough that I can work on it until I repair my main PC.


Back to the chapter, the next chapters will be focused on the Kipset and Inorra, hope you like my spin on the marine side.

-

Support me also on webnovel if you enjoy my story so far (THE SAME NAME)

Discord:  discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

5