Chapter E2: The Night In The City
220 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter E2: The Night In The City

 (Effinshia's POV)

I opened up the cover to the pocket watch that was hanging near my waist. Even though I call it a pocket watch, it's really more of a stopwatch that can function as a clock. I stared at the multiple needles that it has, each pointing at different areas. I observed the smallest one.

4 am. Dawn was approaching.

Upon confirming the time, I hung stopwatch back onto my waist. Staring at it for too long does give me a slight headache, but I'm already used to it. It was Stopwatch's way of rebelling against me. You could say it doesn't really like me, or anyone for that matter.

*Crunch

I took a bite out of an energy bar that I got from the camp. I then stood and stretched out my body before resting my legs on the walls of the tower. The same tower that the black dragon smashed earlier. The sound of fighting had mostly stopped by now. The guys at the castle were fighting through and through throughout the night and had gone quiet a while back. The monsters wandered aimlessly around the castle, a translucent barrier surrounding it.

Just to make sure, I spent the whole night slowly scouting the city to find any survivors, but couldn't find any. All I saw were countless dead bodies lying around— monsters and people alike. Some people got quick, easy deaths and others I could tell died the hard way. Mutilated, raped, dissolved. It wasn't a pretty sight. I dispatched any monsters I see on the way of course. My kill count has to be in the hundreds by now.

Honestly— for a city of this size, I expected a lot more casualties, at least double the number of bodies that I see lying around. I couldn't say if it was fortunate or the opposite. On one hand, it could mean that a lot of people got off alive and well. On the other, it could mean that the bodies totally disappeared either by the hands of the monsters or something more... Intelligent. This monster invasion... It was the perfect cover-up for those wanting to get human subjects after all.

Either way, the city was totally gone at this point, down to the foundations. Large suspicious holes were formed throughout the city. Upon closer inspection, one could see that these holes lead elsewhere. Somewhere deeper underneath the city.

*Crunch

I took another bite from the energy bar. The taste of dried rolled up wheat and oats spreads in my mouth.

I looked over to the shamble of a city once more from the tower. Should I investigate the castle? There was something fishy with those that govern this city, the defence of the inner castle was good, almost too good. But masterminds will never risk themselves in danger, it's unlikely for them to be in the castle, surrounded by monsters who could potentially break through the defences. There was also the fact that the response could actually just be good. It would explain the less than expected casualties. It's plausible, but I had doubts. After all, the invasion blindsided even me.

*Crunch

Or should I investigate these suspicious holes on the ground? It's most likely crawling with monsters. I suspect that whatever was underneath these tunnels will explain the monster's origins. But to do that would means stirring the bees nest. There could be more monsters down there, and I could easily make the situation worse. What if the monsters decided to go aggro and start attacking the castle again?

*Crunch

I took the last bite out of the energy bar and dust off my hands.

...

There was no point in just sitting idle and wasting time either. I eyed the broken city once more.

Having my fill, I then jumped down the tower before making a soft thump on the landing. I recalled walking by a potion shop earlier yesterday morning. I deduced the general direction and proceeded to run there sneakily. It's too much of a hassle to kill all the monsters after all.

I sneaked around silently at a considerable pace, looking at each of the monsters that were present in the city. I generally know what most of them were, goblins, trolls, ogres, kobolds, spiders, ants, and et cetera. But that was as far as my extent of knowledge goes. I'm not really into monster ecology and it never really bothered me that much to memorise the kinds of monster types there are. For me, a monster is a monster, it doesn't matter what type they are. They all die the same.

Even so, even I know how weird it was for all these monsters not to be killing each other right now. It was as if they were being controlled and yet they looked just as feral as the ones in the wilds. It was like... They were monsters in a dungeon.

I soon arrived at the general location of the shop. Half of the building had collapsed, bodies of dead people could be seen underneath the burnt, charred rubble. It looked like the folks here didn't quite manage to get out. I walked into what was left of the shop and started to scour around. Shards of broken glass and multitude of unknown liquids scattered across the floor. I eyed the bottles that were still intact.

Recovery potions, mana potions, spell potions, concoctions. All useless. Some of the potions were outright too diluted to even be of use. I expected more from a potion shop in a big city like this. I scouted and scouted and finally found the item I was looking for. A bottle of white vinegar, some tea leaves and a dash of arrowroot powder. I found a small empty cauldron and started mixing the ingredients together, transferring magic power to the bowl as I mixed it around.

I then poured the mixture into a glass bottle filled with water and shook it. The mixture soon mixed with the water in the bottle before turning to a white transparent liquid. Satisfied with the results, I immediately poured the potion over my head, drops of wet liquid fall over my face and my hair. I then spread it over my arms and legs, and anywhere else that I could think of. The pungent smell of the vinegar attacked my nose before completely disappearing. The liquid quickly dried up.

"Shaa," "Hiss," The shapeshifting weapon Torarias and the shapeshifting shield Armageddon, currently disguised as a cap and a coat let out a disembodied hissing. But I simply ignored them.

*Sniff *Sniff

I smelled myself and confirmed that I neutralised most of my odour. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but it will do. Hopefully, this will help with those monsters with sharp noses.

I walked out of the shop and stopped by the dead bodies that were buried alongside half of the shop. I then took out a coin from my pouch and placed it in front of the bodies.

"I hope you all can rest in peace."

 

* * * * *

 

I couldn't decide on which to investigate first, the castle or the suspicious holes, so I decided to just go to the one nearest of my position. A large hole that caved in near the north side of the city.

I stood at the edge of the hole and peered down into the absolute darkness. Holes like these were scattered all over the city. They must have appeared or uncovered when the earthquake happened near the beginning of the invasion, or worst yet, the creation of these holes were the cause of the earthquakes. That would assume that there was something down that that was strong enough to bury an entire city if it wanted too. Dragons were flying around, after all, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a monster of similar strength lurking underneath, probably even stronger.

I took out Stopwatch and took out a coin from my bag. I then toss the coin into the hole, waiting for the echoes.

*clink *clink

That was a few seconds, I stop the timer on Stopwatch to view the exact timing. 

3.56 seconds.

Doing a quick calculation in my mind, gravity and terminal velocity and all that minus the time of sound travelling, I estimated the hole to be at least sixty meters deep. Not a fall that I couldn't survive. I placed Stopwatch back my waist and jumped down the hole before landing on the soft soil with a thump, kinetic energy dispersing on the ground through the careful application of magic. I unsheathe my partner, Kirin and pump some magic into it, a soft blue light glowed and illuminated the area around me.

Not far from me, was what looked to be an entrance to a tunnel of sorts. It was big enough to fit a group of people in the passageways. I walked around the circumference of the hole only to find more tunnels, each leading into different areas. Some of the tunnels even have supporting beams to prevent cave-ins. The supports look to had been ravaged by time, mould and cracks could be seen all over the pieces of wood. The tunnel was anything but recent. This confirms my first assumption at least, that the earthquake had caused the holes to re-appear when the foundations of the city collapse.

Then what caused the earthquakes? If there wasn't any massive underground beast that created these holes, then what could have been strong enough to shake an entire city? More importantly, why were these subterranean tunnels here in the first place? Was A'bell built upon an old underground mine? 

Tsk. So many questions but no answers.

"Haaah."

I let out a sigh and picked a random tunnel to explore further. 

 

* * * * *

 

I couldn't tell how long I've been under here travelling and investigating these tunnels, but so far I have found very little results. I didn't know why, but there weren't any monsters down in these tunnels at all, not even dead bodies. Most paths had been blocked off as well, making my progress extremely slow as I had to backtrack these tunnels numerous times. 

Maybe it was too quick of a conclusion, but it was clear that the monsters that invaded the city didn't come from these tunnels. The tunnels were too small for some of the monsters to traverse, and most of the monsters above aren't really the dark loving type either. The fact that I have seen none at all means that the monsters were actively avoiding the underground areas of A'bell.

But why? Why are the monsters avoiding these subterranean pathways? If they didn't come from the tunnels, then where and how did they come to be? 

More questions came up. Yet, I'm nowhere near to solving any of them. I had to say it was making me a little bit frustrated. I continued to walk along the path when I suddenly saw a small beam of light in front of me.

Oh? What is this?

It was dim, but it wasn't blue. It was pure light as if coming from a lantern. I went into alert mode and stopped the flow of magic to Kirin, completely killing the blue light. Leaving only the dim white light to guide me. I slowly walked as to not make any noise towards the light. I reached soon after and what revealed to me was a large underground clearing, a small ball of light illuminating the area. Directly underneath the light was a large black wolf sleeping, and next to it was a humanoid looking petite figure, the light not bright enough to bring identity to the unknown figure. Observing the area a little more, I could see countless bodies lying around the wolf and the unknown figure.

I guess I know where are all the missing bodies are now.

The unknown figure walked over to one such lifeless body that was at least twice the size of the unknown figure before dragging it and tossing it to an area near the wolf.  Swooshing sounds could be heard as the body was slowly crushed and compacted into what looks to be an invisible orb. The figure then grabbed another body and repeated the steps. A swooshing sound was heard, and the body was slowly crushed and compacted into the orb.

...What the hell is this?

I gripped my sword, Kirin, tightly as I tried to close the distance stealthily. But as soon as I took a step forward, the wolf jolted up and looked to my direction. The wolf made a couple of sniffing motions before letting out a loud wailing howl.

*HOWWWWLLLLLLL!!!!

Crap! I knew my scent wasn't masked enough! 

Dammit! Having lost the element of surprise, I quickly enacted another course of action. "Torarias!" I shouted to the sleeping tiger that was resting upon my head in the form of a hat.

It then changed forms into a large javelin and dropped off my left shoulder, which I grabbed in a smooth motion. I then jam pack it with as much magic as I could muster at the moment and threw it at the unknown figure. I then charged forward as soon as I threw the spear.

Blue and orange streaks of light flew towards the unknown at high speeds and crashes at the figure.

*clang!

A loud sound clashing sound could be heard as Torarias was stopped by a barrier of sorts, but it wasn't enough to completely stop the momentum of the spear, and it went through the barrier. It was only a split second delay, but it was enough time for the figure to dodge the attack. 

Dammit, this guy isn't just any normal person. However, Torarias is not just any weapon!

*Boom!

An explosion burst out as soon as Torarias passed the unknown figure. Seeing this opportunity, I increased my running speed to strike at the unknown figure, but I was blocked by the large black wolf. The wolf swipes down with its massive claws, and I was forced to dodge to the sides, cancelling my momentum.

*Goro *Goro

A weird sound could be heard from the sides as the smoke from the explosion clears away, the figure completely uninjured and moving his hands in a weird motion. Not wanting to know what it was about, I quickly dashed towards him only to be blocked once again by the wolf which uses its massive body to charge at me. I dodged backwards before swinging Kirin towards the wolf in a forward lunge.

*Clang

The sword bounced off the wolf's fur. The wolf seeing this chance took another swipe at me with its claws, but I magnificently dodged to the right and did another counter strike to the wolf only for the same result to happen, with Kirin once again bouncing off its fur.

Tsk. This wolf has a stronger fur than the scales of a bloody dragon.

*Clap!

The unknown figure finished whatever he was doing. The ball of light that illuminates the area suddenly grew brighter and all at once emit a large bright flash.

Urghh, I can't see! Covering and keeping my eyes open to see any little details I could see, I ran towards the last known location of the figure. I doubt I'm the only one who can't see in this situation.

However, just as I moved forward, I could hear a loud screeching sound, the sound of claws dragging across the floor. I Immediately pumped magic in an area around myself and took a defensive stance and then swung my sword towards the side of the sound, the small area where the pressure of the magic being sliced and my instincts to correct the trajectory of the sword.

*Clang!

I felt myself getting lighter as the clash happened. My body feels light, and I could feel that I was being moved backwards and all too sudden, my back got hit by something hard. Hnrggh. Dammit, I got blown back to the wall.

It was at this moment that the light started to die down, and with what little vision I still had left, I caught the sight of the unknown figure flying to one of the tunnels. It's body levitating at high speeds towards the entrance. Shrugging off the blow to my back, I quickly gave chase to the figure, but the Black Wolf blocked my path again. 

I can't allow the unknown figure to escape! But this wolf!

I once again charged forward towards the tunnel the unknown figure went through, the large wolf obstructed me using his big body and did a downwards swipe at me. I deflected the strong blow and slipped through his sides. The wolf was faster than I expected and tried to attack me with its hind legs

"Torarias!"

I shouted as I duck underneath the attack. A large white tiger rammed the wolf— stunning it, before turning into a hat again. I picked up the shapeshifting hat and ran full speed ahead towards the tunnel entrance. In the tunnel, I could see an exit near the far end with a bright light shining through, the figure could be seen flying towards it. I double my speed once again and try to catch up to it only to hear a loud howl behind me.

What is it this time?!

I turned around only to see a pillar of fire behind me, courtesy of the big bad wolf.

"Godammit!"

I let out a curse as I charged Kirin with magic. A loud screeching sound resonated from the one edge blade and I swung it at the wall, a loud explosion occurred as the screeching hit its maximum frequency. The ground shook, and the large chunks of rocks started to fall down. I quickly turned around and ran towards the exit in haste. More pieces of rocks fell behind me as I got out, the fire entirely blocked by the collapsing tunnel.

I squinted my eyes as I exited the tunnel, the light from the sun blazed my eyes. Throbbing pain that followed my heartbeat could be felt in my eyes. I am now in a large hole similar to the one I've entered the tunnels from, the sun had risen and replaced the starry skies. Ignoring the pain from my eyes, I looked upwards to see a figure flying towards the exit of this large hole.

I stomped on the ground before charging mana into my legs. A large pillar of rock rose up from the ground beneath me at high speeds. As it rises up, I jumped off the platform and soared through the skies— overshooting the unknown figure. I then charged Kirin with magic and with a spark, I charged down at the escaping figure.

*Kapow!

A nice snapping sound was heard as I landed the blow. Though a barrier of sorts prevented my attack from dealing significant damage. Inside the barrier was the unknown figure still flying upwards, carrying me with it who was now stuck on the barrier. I couldn't identify the person in the barrier. At first, I thought it was because it's dark and I couldn't see clearly. Now when I took a proper look in bright daylight, I could see that the figure's petite body was covered in a dark shroud, a mask preventing me from seeing the figure's face properly.

In the skies out of the hole, the figure turned around to face me, who was still holding onto the barrier. He then pointed his finger towards me.

*Pew!

A small dark beam flew out of his finger. I narrowly dodged the attack, but it resulted in me dropping off. The figure saw this and proceeded to point more beams towards me as I fall down to the city below. I used Kirin to deflect some of the beams and agilely dodge the others in mid-air. All of a sudden, a larger, more menacing beam flew towards me. I positioned my sword to intercept the beam and parried it, but the force behind the beam pushed me with great force. My descend grew faster and faster as I crashed into the city below.

The shock from the fall reverberated across my body, my sight and sense of up and down all jumbled up as I went tumbling on the floor.

...

"Ow ow ow..."

I rubbed my back as I slowly got up from the crash. These fights are not good for my dear back. "Oi Armageddon, aren't you supposed to help me out there?" I complained to the shapeshifting shield turned coat that was hanging on my back. No response, of course. Sure, take my mana when you please, but do nothing when I need you.

Shrugging off the pain, I looked upward to see the figure escaping westwards into the forest. Once again, I ran to give chase but all of a sudden the ground beneath me shook. I stepped back only to see the head of a large black wolf pop out of the ground, it's body soon followed. It then snapped its neck to me and let out a fireball towards me. I charged mana into Kirin and deflected the ball of fire upwards. The ball of fire landed onto a row of houses behind me before giving off a big explosion.

The wolf got into a ready stance and continued to observe me, its absolute intention to prevent me from chasing the figure any further.

I've got to put this mutt down. It has annoyed me far too many times already.

I stood there and observed the wolf, making slight movements to better position myself. The wolf saw this and mirrored my actions, making slight movements to better position itself. This wolf was stronger and harder to fight than the dragon I faced earlier. I thought about the wolf's capabilities. Thick fur that protects against weapons, the speed it possesses despite being of a large size, the strength behind its attacks, especially its claw and the capability to breathe out fire.

I thought of all the wolf's trait and then thought up of the ways I could defeat before coming down to one skill that fits the job well. I took a deep breath, and for once and probably only time today, I charged towards the large wolf with Kirin in tow. Blue light emanated from the edge as I pumped mana into it.

The wolf's reaction was fast. It immediately leapt towards me, its right claw darkened with magic as it swiped at me. I turned around and pump mana into Armageddon and even more Mana into Kirin, my back facing the wolf.

Armageddon is first and foremost a shield before it is anything else. Its duty and reason for existence is to protect. Thus I leave it to do what it does best.

*Clang!

The coat hardened into something many times stronger than steel, and unlike previously where I was blown back by the sheer force of the attack, I stayed put firmly. Armageddon done its job wonderfully, not letting even the force of the attack get through to me. Giving it a silent thanks I then pushed backwards and slipped underneath the wolf's right claw.

"Xross Counter!"

I shouted as I swung Kirin vertically upwards, and in a speed that was impossible for the wolf to react,  I then spun and swung down Kirin downwards, making a large X shaped symbol on the wolf's body.

*Boom!

A large explosion occurred, signifying the end of the move 'Xross Counter'. The sound of the explosion was accompanied by the incoherent sounds of the wolf wailing in pain.

Immediately after that strike, I started running away from the wolf towards the forest west of A'bell. I didn't even bother looking back to confirm the wolf's condition. Time was of the essence, and the unknown figure was a more important target.

As I exited the city and entered the forest to give chase to the black-shrouded figure, I thought to myself.

Maybe I should have at least made sure the wolf was dead at the very least? It was definitely stronger than most monsters, I can't imagine the warriors of the city easily besting that guy.

But Xross Counter is a strong skill,  I just have to hope whatever damage I did to the wolf was enough.

1