Chapter R3: Full Raid! Assault on the city
174 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter R3: Full Raid! Assault on The City

(Ride's POV) 

Dawn had risen, and as per the details of the raid, we were to gather outside the encampment at dawn. And so we did, me and my group of friends, the three guys that I call brothers... and a girl.

"Lanarya Lana! Age seventeen! C rank adventurer of the adventurers guild! It's a pleasure to meet all of you!" Lanarya exclaimed out loud and gave a bow to my group of friends.

I turned around only to see a bunch of guys standing in shock with their mouth agape. I spoke earlier on to Lanarya to keep it at a minimum and let me do the rest to convince the team. But now, I'm not too sure if I can do it. Before I could say anything, the guys forcefully grabbed me over, and we gathered around in a circle, shoulder to shoulder.

"Oi Ride! What the hell is this? Some one night stand?" Tyle whispered in such a way that only us guys can hear it.

"Ya dude! Where you find such a hot chick!" Kranis followed up. 

"Did you like... hit it off? Or is she someone you've been seeing for a while?" Tyle probed me further.

"Damn dude! You got a girlfriend, and you never told us? What the hell?!" Kranis whispered loudly in dissatisfaction.

"It's not like that guys! She wants to join the team so she could follow us into the raid. I thought we could use some more firepower... you know." I countered back.

"Join the team?" Scorch asked. He then turned around to look at Lanarya before turning back to look at us. "I'm not sure I follow."

"Yeah, join the team so that she could join in on the raid," I answered.

"Why?" Tyle asked.

"Well, she wants to save A'bell with her own h-"

"No, I mean, why do you want her to join us?" Tyle interjected, pointing his finger at me.

"Well that is... ahhh...ummm." Dammit, what do I say to these guys?

Seeing that I couldn't find the words, we all took a good look at Lanarya. Lanarya saw us and gave a soft smile and a small energetic wave. I can't be saying no to her now can I?

"Did she puppy-eyed you into this?" Tyle suddenly spoke up. "We can't be taking care of others man. We are already in bad shape as it is."

"Well..."

"I agree with Tyle. How do we know we can trust her?  I don't mind adding a party member, but so close to a full raid?" Scorch voices his thoughts.

"Not to offend anyone, but for a C rank she looks kinda... green" Kranis speak up as well.

"That's just... uhh." 

"She's more than just a pretty face, right? I mean she's a C rank after all." Kranis said.

"Of- of course!" 

"What's her specialty?"

I don't know man. I just met her like six hours ago. As if I can say that!

"..."

"*Sigh, We are getting nowhere," Tyle said as he broke the gathering of men. He then walked up to the girl with the golden yellow hair before scowling at her.

"Lanarya was it? I'm not sure what that idiot said to you, but we can't have you join the party. If you want to join us later, we could make some plans for after the rai-"

"Come on, Tyle!" I shouted at him.

"Look here, Ride. This isn't some damn trip. We are going into a city full of monsters! I don't even know if she can hold herself in a fight. How can we be expected to trust her?" 

Tyle does make a point, but I can't back out now. How can I convince him? I knew he was going to be the hardest obstacle in our team, but I didn't expect he will be this much against it. Well... I guess I was just as harsh to Lanarya yesterday night as well.

"As it stands, she would just be risking her life and ours, I object," Tyle said out loud, he made sure that Lanarya can hear it.

Is there something I can use to convince him? Something... some event to tell the guys that we can trust her and that she can fight just as well...

Wait... There was one, wasn't there? One event where even I can't believe I got out alive.

"There you have it, I'm sorry Lanarya, but you have to leave," Tyle said in a cold voice to her.

Upon hearing this, Lanarya gave a sad look as her shoulders slumped down. Tyle didn't mean anything bad by that. He's the party's speaker and the party's voice of reason. It's his role to be the bad guy in cases like this.

...

I need something now and quick. It's now or never Ride A'bell.

"I, uh... I owe her one! I wouldn't be here now if it weren't for her!" I shouted. Every one of them gave me a shocked look.

I've made up my mind yesterday night. All I needed to do is show them my resolve.

"I can vouch for her skill as well. She was the one who helped me when I got surrounded by the goblins yesterday! I fought side by side with her before, as long as she sticks around with me, we can pull off some amazing combos! You guys should have seen it!"

I splurted whatever crap I could think off. A short pause happened as everyone gathered their thoughts.

"Is that true?" Tyle questions Lanarya, doubting my story.

It's all a lie, of course, she never saved my life nor did we fought side by side against hordes of goblins, but it's the only way that I can think off for me to convince the others. My first impressions of Lanarya is that she was honest to a fault and a naive girl. I could honestly imagine her denying my story with her energetic voice, 'It's not true!'. But... she's a C rank, she wouldn't be able to reach that rank if she couldn't get past the old man right? I only hope she can take the hints that I've given to her and corroborate on my story.

The person in question then gave Tyle a determined look.

"It's all true! We got out of that forest only cause we fought as a team." She said in a purposeful tone.

Ohhh, Nice follow up! I didn't know you had it in you!

"Why didn't you tell us?" Kranis approached to ask me this.

"I... I was embarrassed! I just thought you know. We won't be meeting each other again, so I decided to cover it up! Yeah, that's right!"

The guys gave me a sceptical look.

"Please don't blame him! It was I who pressured Sir Ride yesterday night and told him to let me join the party! I was the one who asked him about this."

Tyle adjusted his glasses and took some time to think about things.

"I still won't allow it," Tyle spoke up again. "I thank you for saving this idiot, but that is that, and this is this."

"Please, Sir Tyle! I promise I won't get in your way! I just... I just want to save the people still trapped in the city!" Lanarya pleaded.

"Sir...?" Tyle is taken aback from the sheer energy the girl had. And her weird way of addressing us.

"Hey, isn't it fine if we just let her join?" Kranis said.

"Yeah, It is as Ride said, we could use the extra manpower... or womanpower in this case" Scorch backed Kranis up. "If she is as good as what Ride says, then she will be helpful in the fight later on. Our party could use a backup player, whether we like it or not" 

Tyle paused again to think for a while before looking and giving Lanarya a final look. He then let out a sigh.

"Alright." Tyle looks away with a hmph as he gave his consent. 

Lanarya gave out the brightest smile as she heard this. A beautiful one.

"But you stick closely with Ride and follow his orders, you only ever worked together with Ride after all, so it's best to follow his lead and learn the ropes of the party."

"Sir, yes, Sir!" She gave a salute excitedly.

Seeing this, I let out a breath that I didn't realise I was holding. A great sense of relief washed me.

"I'm Scorch Shatl. I'm something like the tank of the team, let's get along well" Scorch offered her a handshake.

"Kranis Ordinaire, I'm this team Rogue Extraordinaire! Nice to meet ya!" Kranis gives his introduction.

....

"Tyle A'bell... Magic user." Tyle gives her a reluctant handshake.

"So, it's Sir Scorch, Sir Kranis and Sir Tyle, right? Once again, Lanarya Lana! It's a pleasure to meet you all!" Lanarya says as she gives a bow.

"Also, one more thing."

"Ah! Yes! What is it? Sir Tyle!"

"Stop it with the 'Sir' thing. It's awkward."

 

* * * * *

 

We got past the guild staff without much problem. It is as Mister Vrazen said. Our team was considered a high-rank team and they let us enter the full raid. Lanarya and the others were readily accepted into the roster without too much trouble.

All over the area, one could see other high ranking parties just standing around or preparing for the raid. Kranis said that he counted every person and said there are about 200 adventurers total here, give or take a couple, pretty much every single high-rank team or high-rank adventurer is here. I didn't miss the fact that some of the members or even entire groups missing in the area. Some well-known parties that I know wouldn't skip these raids. It is possible that they fell during the invasion yesterday.

On a field near to us Adventurers, one could see soldiers of this country gathering on standby. They seem to be incredibly prepared and even have some heavy equipment deployed out on a carriage to be brought into the city. A couple of magic cannons, a couple of barrier orbs, bags of various potions and antidotes and many others. You could even see some flyers among them, magical personnel who can use flight magic. They wear very light and distinct uniforms from others.

My eyes feast upon an older man wearing a sizeable oversized robe with the adventurers guild symbol on it's back, strolling onto a makeshift stage. The guild master, although looking fragile, could be seen walking with a strong charismatic presence, each step filled with power. Once he got up, he took a good look at the people that are gathered here. He didn't say anything. He just gave us a look and nodded. He then beckons someone from below the stage to come up.

A well-built man wearing a military coat can be seen shortly after. He looks a little younger than the generals in my mind, but you could see the charisma radiating from him. He too gave the crowd an analysing look before giving a nod to the guild master. The guild master saw this and proceeded to stabs his staff on the ground, magic circles appearing from the area struck — sound boosting magic probably.

"I thank all of you for joining us on this dangerous mission to assault the city. I am General Clauss of the Second Aerial Division" His young voice reverberate across the area, each word carries weight.

"As all of you have heard, we have received word from the soldiers in the castle that they are still quite the number of survivors still trapped in the city, specifically the inner castle. Even now, they still hold the ground against the monster threat in the city."

The inner castle. It is the area where the wealthy and the noble lives. It is also the location of various military facilities in A'bell. It makes sense for those near the middle of the city to rush there instead of out of the city.

"Thus, the plan is simple! With the numbers present here, we are to split into four groups. The 2nd Aerial division will take the south gate and the skies east of the city."

"Us adventures are going to split into two groups of a hundred man wide and strike from the west and the north gate, as this is the area where I suspect most adventures are most familiar with. I will personally lead the team on the west gate" the guild master told us the adventurers part of the plan.

"Our objectives are simple. Firstly, to save whatever survivors remaining in the city and escort them to safety. Second is to reach the inner castle and liberate the people there to safety. The third is to collect any artefacts and relics that are currently in the city. Fourth is to clear out any monsters that interfere in other objectives. The fifth is to collect the bodies of the deceased and precious belongings, we must give them proper burial rites, or they risk being turned into undead. That is all!"

 The Guild Master and General Clauss gave each other another look, affirming each other.

"We leave for the city now. I wish the best of luck to all of you. Men on me!" General Clauss then left the stage and the soldiers soon mobilised and started marching towards the city.

"Hoh hoh, I'm sure all of you should know by now. But your lives are equally as important as the people we are going to save, stay safe and exert cautions and you might get to live to see that big chunk of dragon money, hoh hoh" The Guild Master said in a light-hearted tone, very different to the tone that General Clauss gave.

The adventures all around could be seen chuckling.

 

* * * * *

 

According to the plan, the adventurers were split up into two groups of 100 wide teams, a Full Raid. Each group will be split into 4 smaller raid groups which are further divided into several parties, usually between 2 to 6 parties depending on the party size. This is called the multiple parties, 4 raids,100 wide groups or so they say. The group that will attack the west will be lead by none other than our venerable guild master while the one who is attacking the north gate, the team that we are on, will be led by the sole S rank adventurer that is present, the 'Dragon's Shield' Khaleel. It is said that the large shield on his back is made from the bones of a dragon he killed with his bare hands alone. He is the best defensive fighter in A'bell.

"Will all party leaders assemble so that we may configure our raid composition and our raid leaders," he then shouted to the 100 members present.

I gave a nod to Kranis. He then nods back and walks forth to the small meeting area for discussions.

"Eh?" Lanarya lets out a dumbfounded voice.

"Hmm? What's wrong, Lanarya?"

"N-no! It's nothing... It's just that I thought you were the leader of the group Sir Ride." She covers her mouth before doing an opsies" I mean Ride! Just Ride!"

"Haha, Ride and Tyle here are too emotional to be a leader, and Kranis has them beat in the brain department anyways," Scorch said, giving a small chuckle.

"I see! That makes sense!" Lanarya slaps her fist onto the palm of her hands.

"Excuse me?" Tyle interjects with an annoyed tone.

"The only reason why I'm not the leader is because I need to cast spells so I can't give out orders okay! It's not like I'm bad at ordering people or anything!"

"It's alright Si-... Tyle! I can understand being bad at giving orders too! All the people who teamed up with me said that I suck at it too! So don't feel down!"

"I- I don't suck okay!"

The two banters back and forth about the matter for quite a while with I and Scorch occasionally joining in the conversation.

"Ehhh, so Kranis is a pretty good planner and a fighter huh, I wouldn't have known," Lanarya said out in awe.

"Yeah, Kranis is probably the best out of all of us in terms of combat too." Scorch followed up.

"Wow!" Lanarya exclaimed in excitement before giving us a confused look all of a sudden.

"Then why isn't he B rank like you Ride? If Kranis is truly that strong and smart, he would have made it to B rank no problem, right?"

That... Is a quite sensitive matter to discuss actually. I looked at Tyle and Scorch and saw that they have delicate faces on them as well.

"It's because I don't have much mana capacity, much below average as a matter of fact. I can't do many spells or skills without running out of mana quickly, so I drag down in terms of endurance."

The person in question suddenly came onto us while we are in a discussion. All of us a bit surprised by his sudden appearance, but we listened to him earnestly.

"The guild probably won't promote me until I can prove it to them that I can hustle even with the biggest of baddies I guess".

A moment of silence passes by before Lanarya spoke up.

"Kranis... I'm rooting for you! So let's do our best!" Lanarya gave Kranis a word of encouragement.

I can't help but smile. It looks like Lanarya will get along well with the group.

 

* * * * *

 

After a short carriage ride, we arrived just about a few hundred meters away from the north gate, the closest we can reach by carriage without getting attack from the monsters in the city. We did one last check on our inventory before heading into the city that is full of monsters.

Well... I say check our inventory, but we really have nothing much to check.  We had zero potions or combat inventory, since well... we were broke. Tyle and Lanarya were probably the most well prepared out of all of us. Their weapons and armour are in good conditions. Kranis is all good physically, but he had no arrows. Scorch seemed to be the one who got hit the worst yesterday, but he's looking all fine now, probably thanks to the ointment. He somehow managed to mend his armour from the scraps of other armour, it's not as good as his original armour, but it will take a few blows here and there, it just means we have to cover for him more.

As for me. All I got is my leather armour and the sword that I took from someone. I maintained it all night as I couldn't sleep. I checked my palms only see that most of the injuries have already healed, there are still minor stings when I touch it but nothing I couldn't handle. I drew out the sword once again to have one final check on its condition.

...

That's weird... I expected the sword to be funny and uncomfortable to use as yesterday. But... Strangely enough, it isn't as clunky to hold it now compared to yesterday. It fits in my hands well. It was like as if it was made for me. Have I gotten used to it? Or is it because my palms are better now? That I can adapt to other swords easier?

"That's a nice sword," a soft, gentle voice came up beside me.

"You think so?" I replied to Lanarya.

"I'm best friends with a blacksmith you see. I know a good sword when I see one!" She replied energetically.

She then started to walk around me, her eyes on the sword.

"Woah! This sword looks good! You have some good eyes. Ride! Where did you buy this sword?"

I didn't.

"I... Took it from a fallen adventurer when escaping the city. My sword broke, and I needed to find another one, so I took this sword from the previous owner." I said to Lanarya.

"That's... Sad"

 

"Yeah, I know, I'll make sure to repay him by burying his body properly."

"That's for the best."

"What the hell you guys are talking about? I didn't take that sword from no dead adventurers. It's your sword Ride." Tyle suddenly barged into our conversation.

 

...

What?

 

"Why are you giving me that look? I was the one who handed you that sword at the north gate, you know?"

"Wait wait wait, what do you mean you didn't take this from a fallen adventurer? Then where you get this sword from?"

"What the heck are you talking about man? You dropped the sword at the north gate. Then you went into that daze of yours. I just picked it back up and gave it back."

What? What is Tyle talking about? I didn't drop any sword!

"I'm actually rather surprised you managed to get it repaired so fast, for a while there, I thought you were going to go in there without a weapon."

Repair a sword? But this sword was always in good condition even after I escaped A'bell. Tyle and Lanarya both gave me a worried look. I must have had the most confused look on my face right now.

"This is what happens when you don't sleep. Come on. The others are moving ahead. We gotta catch up." Tyle said as he taps my shoulder.

In a daze, I looked at the sword in my hands again. What the hell?

"It's alright Ride! After this mission, you can sleep all you want! Let's focus on the job at hand, alright!" Lanarya pumps me up as she walked with the others.

Sleep huh? Yeah, maybe I should. I sheathed my sword before catching up with the group.

 

* * * * *

 

The one hundred man group was split into four different raids. Our party, in particular, is in the second raid which was tasked to deal with any monsters that breach our perimeter and to provide assistance to the vanguard raid, the first raid, that was being led by Khaleel the 'Dragons Shield'. We were to make sure that nothing touches our rear, the fourth raid, which consists of loners, supporting adventurers and long-range specialist. The purpose of the third and final raid is to protect any valuables, or people if we are to be escorting any. They also serve as our last line of defence.

A clear cut and simple roles to follow, the basic formation of a full raid.

"So, you guys will be positioned to the front of this raid group. Being sandwiched by the first and the third raid and covered at the flanks by all the other members of this raid. In theory, this should be the safest position to be in this full raid group."  A tall, sleek young looking man told us our position. He is the leader of the second raid. An A rank rogue who goes by the name Shard.

"Thanks for the help Shard, I appreciate it, man," Kranis said to his fellow Rogue.

"No problem Kranis, us rogues gotta watch for each other eh?  You guys being new and all to this raiding thing, right? Just sit back and learn." Shard says with a carefree tone before leaving for his own party.

I guessed Kranis pulled out one of his favours. Make sense. We are new to this and Lanarya was well... new in a whole different meaning. Kranis makes his way back to the party, and we did one last preparation before getting into formation.  

I gripped my sword tightly and got into battle position. Lanarya positioned right next to me, with her sword drawn, it is an average length sword that looks light to wield and feature beautiful ornaments on the hilt, you can tell an excellent blacksmith made it. Scorch and Tyle right behind us. I will be the team's vanguard today with Lanarya as my backup, and Kranis will protect our rear. We have discussed about this many times, and it was decided that since Lanarya and I have this so-called 'Amazing Combo', we will be going with this formation. Putting aside their grand expectations for us. I've never really fought with Lanarya before nor do I know her skills in battle. But it's too late to backtrack now, I'm going to have to trust her on this.

As I was contemplating, the first raid has started to move forward towards the north gate. Seeing that, we begin to trail behind them, the other raids followed as well, maintaining formation. Slowly but surely, we started reaching the gate. It wasn't long before the first monster, a Giant Killer Bee, spotted us and lunged towards the hundred man full raid. 

*Boosh!

 

A quick ice shard came from behind and blasted the monster into several pieces. It was from the fourth raid. The other monsters saw this, and more monsters around the gate started to all rush towards the raid. The people from the first raid prepared themselves and immediately charged towards the monsters. A big clash between adventurers and monsters happened. I could feel the hair on my hands standing up as the fourth raid, the long-range specialist, behind me cast their spells and skills. Streaks of colourful projectiles flew above me and landed on the monsters that are still charging to us.

Large explosions of fire, ice and lightning rain down in front of me. The thunderous roar flashed and shook the ground beneath.

The remaining monsters which saw the explosions changed directions and started to circle the full raid to attack us from the flanks. The third raid got into position to intercept the monsters coming from our sides while the fourth raid kept up with the bombardment on the monsters. The second raid continued to standby in our current position. Our job is to protect the 4th raid from anything that may get past the other raids. Leaving our positions could easily mean the long-range specialist in the 4th raid would be in danger, so we just stayed put and watch as the others fought the onslaught of monsters. As frustrating as it was to sit still and watch, I understood what happens if we broke formation. I gave a quick look to the others and saw that they too, understood.

The battle raged on for quite a while as we slowly make our way into the city of A'bell.

*CRASH

"Arghh!!!" "Woah!" "Urghh!"

A loud crash and the shouts of the frontlines could be heard. A big Warrior Ogre, wearing crude metallic armour smashed through the first raid and charged right at us, the ogre eyes filled with madness and rage. Bolts of lightning and ice smashed the ogre, but it simply ignored them and continued charging. It's probably aiming for the 4th raid behind us, but we are not about to let it do as it pleases!

"Tyle! Give it a big one!" Kranis gave out his order.

Tyle heard Kranis and started to chant. Without orders, I immediately charged at the ogre to buy some time for Tyle. As I was running, I continued to study the ogre as it raged further and it started swinging his body and arms in such a way that I find it hard to land a clean strike on it. 

This orge... I can't approach it! 

Unable to find an opening to strike, I have no other choice but to move out of the way or risk getting trampled to death. 

"Sword Thrust! Penetration!" A loud feminine voice rang out, and I see a yellow magic blade flying towards the ogre, striking it at its right leg. A clang could be heard as the magic blade lands a hit on the ogre's legs. The ogre tumbled for a while but soon regain balance and continued to charge towards the 4th raid.

That skill...

"Lanarya!" I shouted as loud as I could to my yellow-haired party member. "One more time!"

Hearing me, she gave me a nod, and her sword glows once again with yellow light. I too charged my sword. A faint red glow could be seen from the sword.

"Sword Thrust! Penetration!" "Sword Thrust! Extension!" We both shouted in unison.

A yellow magic blade shoots out from Lanarya's sword and once again hit the ogre on the right leg, close to where the first strike landed. An incredibly accurate shot. Mine, however... wasn't as precise as my sword's blade extended towards the ogre's back and bounced off its metallic amour. But what lacks in precision, 'Sword Thrust, Extension' makes it up with power. The ogre falls forward in a roll from the combined strike from Lanarya and Me. A blow to the legs and one powerful attack from the back.

"UWARRRYYGGHHHH"

The monster screamed in agony as it tumbles down.

"Oh, earth heed my call! QUAGMIRE!"

 

Tyle cast his spell as the ogre tumbles down, a bog appeared underneath the ogre, and it falls into a soft pit.

Before the ogre could fully settle down in the pit, Lanarya charged forth towards the ogre. Seeing this, Kranis and Scorch followed suit. I ran toward the fallen ogre as well.

*Slash *Slam *Clang

All of us attacked the downed ogre on the boggy ground relentlessly. I couldn't remember how long we kept beating up the ogre, but we just kept beating it up as if to let out some unknown anger inside us.

*Slash *Slam *Clang

"Guys... I think it's dead..." Tyle said from behind. "...you can stop beating it now."

 

2