Chapter E11: Turning the City Upside Down.
47 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter E11: Turning the City Upside Down.

(Effinshia's POV)

 

On a bench in a park that I knew so well by now, lies me just staring at the starry skies. Twinkling little balls of fire. I decided to take a break from investigating the areas that the Mobster pointed out when I interrogated him.

"I had wanted to get some information about the Oni and the Arachne statue as well…" I muttered to myself.

Alas, I didn't manage to extract such information before the man broke apart. Can't help it. Attacks to the mana system could be rather painful for the inexperienced. 'Dist to Rapt' was more than just a simple spellbreaker spell.

Nevertheless, I got what I needed. He gave me the locations and I searched most of the places for this Morrello dude. Each place was indeed a hideout for this wicked organization. Every single one of the places I thrashed and knocked every single gang member out cold. Freeing every single slave within those hideouts. It was easier to do now, now that I know the true extent of the organisation, their strength and their tactics. The fact that I'm alone without having to protect someone helps as well. I no longer need to worry about them bringing the slaves into other hideouts too, since I know the locations of all of them now.

If my prediction was right the freed slaves would bring the guards right into these hideouts. I should have time at earliest until the next evening before the guards start to lock down the city. It's almost time to bring Vidya for the final moment. The moment of closure. 

Hmm?

I gripped Kirin tightly after sensing two presence coming right onto my location. Holding my breath as I waited for the presence to come nearer.

"Kid?" I said once the presence got near enough.

It was then that I saw a young man in his late teens walking absentmindedly past me, thinking hard about something. A sword held out right in front of him. It was Ride. Letting out a sigh of relief, I let go of Kirin and released the tension in my body. 

"What are you doing all the way out here Lucky Boy? Couldn't sleep?"

"Hmm? Oh… Miss Effinshia you're here, Ride turned around to face me as I called out to him.

Am I not supposed to be here?

"Had a bad dream?" I asked him. Ignoring his previous remarks. I then tapped the free seat next to me. Inviting him to sit down.

Ride followed my cue and sat down. "Yeah… it was an odd one."

And odd dream huh. I wonder if it's about the second presence that dwells within him. The sword. Or could it be because of the good cop bad cop act that we did?

"Was it the interrogation? Sorry about that by the way. Didn't think you'd be that shaken. I thought an adventurer of your rank would be able to take it."

"Huh, what? No. No that's not it really…"

"Sure? Cause you are looking quite pale there. Ya weak to blood or something?" I asked.

"I'm fine really, I was shocked because of something else…"

"If you say so." 

Ride looked at the sword he's holding in his hands. Thinking about something. Deliberating. I couldn't really tell what kind of sword it is since it was sheathed and everything. But I knew that it's not a normal sword. The kid doesn't seem to want to tell me about it as well. Oh well, I'll give him an ear when he's ready to tell me about it. The next time we meet that is.

Ride took a look at me before asking:- "Hey, Miss Effinshia. What are you going to do when you meet the person behind the slave traders."

"Beat him up obviously. Then I'll let the guards take him and after that, it's not really my business anymore. I hope he gets what he deserves in jail of course." I answered.

"That's… a pretty straightforward answer huh."

I rested my arms on his shoulder. "I'm not the kind of person who likes to play around with riddles kid. When I say I'm going to do something then there is a pretty high chance that I'll do it."

Information manipulating is fair game though. Noun games maybe.

"Forget about that kid. I’ve been wanting to ask. You two making any moves yet?" I asked the kid.

"Move on what?" He answered, not fully understanding what I meant. 

Zero experience? That's kinda disappointing, I expected a blush or two. Also, the two are not a couple huh? It has only been a short while since they met. Gotta give the two some time I guess.

"Onto relationships of course! What kind of girls do ya like? Big busty ones? A girl with a charming smile? Maybe a girl who’s all rock hard on the outside but melt like butter on the inside?" I put my other hand into my mouth and gave him an exaggerated gesture, "Ah! Could it be that you are interested in older women?"

There it is. The blush I'm looking for. Teasing kids like him is always the best. I gave Ride a sly grin and gave him all the time he needed to process my question.

"I, I… want a girl that can take care of kids and cook good food I guess?" He said, his face red like a tomato.

What a normal answer. Also ouch, looks like the sun girl needs to work double hard huh.

"What about you Miss Effinshia? What kind of guys do you like?"

Ohh, the reverse question huh? Most boys would be too embarrassed to ask. Gotta give it to him. I didn't think he would actually have the guts to ask back.

"I don't know. I was never interested in these sort of things." I dodged the question. 

You aren't going to get an answer from me so easily though. Don’t look at me like that boy.

 

* * * * *

 

“The guards are looking riled up.” Ride said as he observed the multitude of guards running around.

“The raid yesterday must have given the guards some leads. They are probably scrambling about to put an end to the slave traders.” I said to him. Hiding to him the fact that they are also probably agitated by the freed slaves from the other hideouts. The hideouts that I’ve already busted.

Though I can’t deny that they might have information on the ring leader as well. They might not have it, but then again it was a matter of time before they get it anyways. Hard-locking the city to prevent the slave traders from escaping will be their next move, I guarantee it. I only don’t know when they will do it. My time to act freely in this city was running out. It wouldn’t be so easy to lay low after this.

“I see. I hope the guards can find the requester safely.”

The requester is right here kid. 

“I hope so as well. I am curious to see the kind of person who would lay down a one platinum coin reward.”

“I heard from people that the person must have been a very influential person among the high society.” Ride said.

“Or you know, said person could just be super lucky and found it on the floor or something,” I replied.

“Kranis said the same thing, but the guild master said that any normal person who found such a riches won’t be using it like this. Vidya must have meant a lot to the requester.”

“I see.” I gave a simple response. Unable to refute his statement. Vidya and Korva did indeed meant a lot to me despite our short time together. A platinum coin that I found from the middle of nowhere was a small price to pay.  “Where are the rest of your friends by the way? Aren’t they supposed to be here by now?”

“They are probably looking around for me or something, I didn’t really tell them that I woke up early.” He said. His hands scratching the back of his neck.

“So you sneak out without telling them? That’s not really a good thing to do ya know.” I said while letting out a small chuckle.

My younger brother would often do that to me. Sneak out in the middle of the night to do his things. 

“Hey, Lucky Boy,” I called out to Ride.

“Yeah?”

“Just a little tip for you, but maybe start meditating?. Focus on controlling your mana. It helps clear your mind. Who knows, it might even help with those bad dreams of yours. If you don’t like meditating then maybe go solve some puzzles or something. Always good to have a sharp mind. It’s better than wandering aimlessly when you can’t sleep.” 

“Oh… Okay.”

“Not to say that there is anything wrong with walking around though. After all, if you didn’t then I wouldn’t know about what kind of girls you like.” I let out a cheeky laugh to the boy.

Ride only covered his face as teased him.

“Ride! Miss Effinshia!” Sun girl’s voice was heard as she arrived with the rest of her party. Alongside with Vidya.

What are those two doing here... I thought I told them to stay still. The last thing we need is to expose ourselves. Not when are so close to finding this Morrelo guy.

The guys all walked up to Ride to give him a piece of their mind. About just leaving in the middle of the night like that without telling them anything.

“Hi, Sis Effy.” All except Vidya who came right up to me with a soft smile. A little bit of sadness behind it.

What’s up with her?

“Hey, Vomit Girl. It feels like it’s been a while since I saw you huh.”

She let out a pout. “It’s not Vomit Girl. It’s Vidya. Hmphh! Also… Yeah. It’s been a while. You never come by for dinner or the Inn. It’s good that you didn’t really, the bed was horrible.”

“Really now? You look so well, I wouldn’t have known about the bed if you never told me.”

Vidya went over and rubbed her back: “It so bad Sis Effy. It’s like sleeping on rocks. Sleeping on the floor actually felt better.”

“I see. You look like you have been sleeping well though? Much better than you were in that house at least.”

Vidya jaw dropped wide as I said that. If one looked closer, one could no longer see excessive eye bags and sore eyes on her. Her facial expressions were much more relaxed. She was definitely having more fun now, more than when I’m around. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you are having fun out here. Having lots of girl talk with Sun Girl?”

“I… I—”

“Hey, old hag,” The rude Kranis called out me. Interrupting my conversation with Vidya.

“Yeah?”

“We are going out to find all the rest of the hideouts right? What’s our plan? We are splitting up again?” Kranis asked.

“Nope.” The kids gave me an expression of surprise when I gave them my answer. “I’ve already searched most of the locations. There are about two more locations I haven’t been to. One of them is definitely the location of their boss. I’m about to investigate the two before the guards do. Then beat up that Morello guy I guess. After that, I’ll let the guards do whatever they want.”

“Fueh… So you really are going to beat them up.” Vidya said.

“Of course! That was the whole point of this is it not? That’s why I need you guys to stay low while I thrash these two places. They are probably desperate now. It’s safer if you guys just stay put—”

“Let us follow you Miss Effinshia!” Lanarya exclaimed.

Huh?

“We want to help out too! Right guys?” She said. The boys behind him nodded. Quite enthusiastically at that.

I don’t really need your help. Was what I wanted to say, but I refrained. Hmm… I suppose it won’t be much of a problem if they follow me I guess. I don’t know why they are so excited about it though. 

“Please let me come as well, Sis Effy.” Vidya pleaded.

“You too?”

“Please. I’ll wear the mask properly. I too want to see how it ends. I don’t want you to force yourself anymore.” 

I’m not... forcing myself though? But still, I guess it makes sense that Vidya would want to see how it all ends. I was thinking about how to bring Vidya her moment of closure anyways. Might as well. Since they are all so interested in it.

I took a good look at the six people in front of me. All of them awfully determined for some odd reason. All of them have this sort of look like they are pitying me. I don’t know what it is, but it irked me a bit.

“Alright. But I want you to protect yourselves. Don’t even bother trying to help me out or anything. Just focus on keeping yourself safe. And wear that mask. The last thing you want is getting your identity leaked out as we do this.”

The guys did a small celebration as I gave them my seal of approval.

*sigh.

Kids these days.

 

* * * * *

 

In front of a building, one of the two last hideouts that these slave-traders have, lies two very strong looking guys wearing formal coats just guarding the entrance. The hooligans were slowly being replaced with high-class gangsters the more hideout I busted, but this was the first one where it’s all filled with just these guys.

“Those two looked very different from the guys at the raid yesterday,” Scorch asked.

Kranis checked his map “You sure you have the right place Old Hag? Says here that this is a bodyguard firm.’

“Yeah. I’ve been wondering about how they have all that manpower to do all these dirty stuff without getting caught. I thought to myself, ‘Could an organisation be that powerful in this city?’ It wasn’t until the Mobster revealed to me that this Morello dude had a friend that owns a sweatshop that everything make sense. This is that place. The place they use to hire men to do their dirty work. The kind of place where as long as one gets paid, it doesn’t matter what they had to do.”

“I see…” Scorch gave an understanding nod.

I stretched out my arms before asking the kids. ”You guys ever killed someone before?”

I stared at them. Observing their reactions.

“Don’t bother answering that. I could tell from your faces. Don’t give me that look, guys. I don’t mean anything by it. It’s just that these guys look tough. I just want to know if you guys are willing to go all the way to protect yourselves.”

“Don’t worry about us Effinshia. We can take care of ourselves. Without killing people.” Tyle said to me. A frown on his face.

*Sigh.

I took out the bindings that tied my sheath to my belt. Then, I used the bindings to bind Kirin to the sheathing, using magic to make sure that the two are bonded. What resulted is a sword that can’t be pulled out from its sheath as long as I continuously pump mana into it. A beating stick. Come on, Kirin my glorified glow stick. We got some work to do.

“I’m keeping your word to it then. I’m serious when I say to not bother with anything else than protecting yourself.”

Without waiting for a response, I dashed forward to the two guards at the entrance. With one wide swing, I smacked one of them in the face. A loud crack could be heard as I broke his jaws and he slumped down unconscious in one hit. I then hit the other guy right in his solar plexus. He immediately slumped down as well.

Using one wide swing of my sword, I destroyed the doors to the establishment. From there on, I trashed the place. Every single person I incapacitated in a few hits. Some of them were rather skilled and took me longer. One or two of them even gave me a good fight. I’ll give em that.

It made me a little bit angry that Morello wasn’t here. It’s the last hideout, isn’t it? Of course, it’s the last one. It’s always the last one.

I let out a sigh as I smacked someone’s legs. She fell forward only for me to swing my glorified glow stick onto her face.

0