Providence 3: Vidya’s Determination
55 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Providence 3: Vidya's Determination

 

It took a whole day for her to think about the things that Effinshia said to her. About how she was having lots of fun hanging out with the members of the party Providence. About how she should be doing what she wants to do. If she was going to go ahead with this, it would mean that she would have to leave the house and Korva all alone for a long period of time. Perhaps even forever.

At first, Vidya was afraid about what will happen to the house if she wasn’t there. Then she realised. She had nothing worth keeping in that house anyways. There were her clothes and books, but she could always get new ones. The only thing that truly mattered to her was leaving Korva’s grave behind unattended like that. However, she knew that if she doesn’t take the chance now, who knows when she will. 

Vidya took a deep breath before placing her hand on the doorknob.

*Creak

The young witch took her first step out of the room for the first time that day. She walked through the dark hallway that was only lit by dim candles. Her legs were shaking but she moved onwards. Slowly. Determinedly. Step by step until she reached a flight of stairs. Rowdy noises could be heard below.

*Gulp

Readying her heart, she walked down the stairs and found herself in a brightly lit dining area filled with people talking to each other. Vidya’s eyes darted around to find her friends. The kind people who had provided her shelter and sustenance for the past two weeks. The kind and easy-going people that she somehow clicked with. Her eyes scanned and observed the room until she found the group of people that she was looking for at the edge of the dining area.

A group of five people. The five members of the party ‘Providence’.

They were talking to each other in a rather casual tone. The mage, Tyle, just looking annoyed and giving witty remarks once in a while. The playboy rogue, Kranis, joking around foolheartedly. The silent giant Scorch, just nodding to the conversation while occasionally speaking to say his piece.

At the centre of them was Lanarya talking happily to Ride. Vidya couldn’t hear what they were talking about from this distance but Vidya could tell that they were having a lot of fun. Vidya took a closer look at the member closest to her. 

Lanarya.

Vidya had really gotten close to Lanarya these past few weeks. She had spent the most time with her due to Effinshia telling them to stay in the inn all the time. Vidya and Lanarya were a really close match and Lanarya would often tell her stories about her adventures and about the others in the party. Lanarya was like the younger sister that Vidya always wanted but couldn’t get.

Vidya looked at her and saw how happy she was talking to Ride. If may not be obvious to others but Vidya could tell that Lanarya has a big crush on Ride. Out of all the members, she would talk about Ride the most. She would also look at Ride differently than the other guys as well. It was subtle and hardly noticeable, but Vidya was once a broken-hearted lover herself. She would know. The funny part was that Lanarya herself may not have realised it.

Spying on the young black-haired boy, Vidya thought to herself, ‘What’s so special about him?’. There was nothing about the boy that makes him stand out. She thought about his skills and prowess as an adventurer but found that she would quickly compare him to Effinshia. She tried her best not to do that. Anyone, when compared to that monster of a woman, might as well be normal.

‘Thinking about it, Sis Effy was also really close to him. Other than me, he was the second person who she paid a lot of attention too,’ Vidya thought. Curious about what makes the boy so special.

It was at this moment that Lanarya saw Vidya and called out to her. “Viddy! Over here!” She then walked over and grabbed her hand before dragging her to the table to sit with the others.

She awkwardly got to the table and sat down next to Lanarya. “Hi… Hi guys.”

“Hey. You hungry?” Scorch asked.

Vidya waved her hands in denial, “Ah, it’s alright. I’m not that hungry right now.”

“Alright then.”

“It’s good to see you alright, we were a bit worried when you won’t come out of your room,” Ride said. The others just nodded.

“Yeah. Thanks.” Vidya said before looking around the table and around the dining area once more. “Is… Sis Effy not here?” She asked.

“Haven’t seen the old hag ever since we stormed that hideout,” Kranis replied.

“The last we met, she told me not to get involved with the Oni and the statues. She seemed to be in a hurry as well,” Ride added.

“I see... “ Vidya answered before thinking to herself ‘So Sis Effy had already left’.

It’s been a few days since Vidya last spoke to Effinshia. Vidya knew that she would eventually leave since she mentioned to her that she still had things she needed to do. But Vidya did not expect her to leave directly on that day itself.

“By the way Viddy,” Lanarya said.

“Yeah?”

“The lockdown is going to be lifted soon. I’ve spoken to the guys and they all agreed that we will escort you back to Cezza. Isn’t that great!” She said excitedly.

“I don’t know how did Effinshia brought you here, but going back alone is pretty dangerous so we thought that we should help a bit,” Tyle added on.

The lockdown. A three days citywide lockdown where no one gets in or out of Luth E’ll. The slave-trading incident and their involvement of the matter had riled up the nobles and the guards protecting this town. The lockdown was announced on the same night they invaded the hideout and would be lifted up tomorrow morning.

In a way, Vidya was grateful for the lockdown. If it wasn’t for it she wouldn’t have the time to sort out her heart and think upon what to do with her life.

“Thanks for the offer. It’s okay though. You don’t have to do that. I don’t feel like going back just yet,” Vidya answered.

The party gave out a confused look before Kranis asked:- “are you sure?

Viyda felt touched that they would give her such an offer. But she had already decided on the things she wanted to do. The reason she’s here was to tell them that. “Yeah, I’m sure. I would like to ask of a different favour from all of you instead though. Is… that okay?”

“Of course Viddy! Just let us know how can we help. Right guys?” Lanarya answered before asking the rest of her party. The guys nodded before asking what they could do to help her.

Vidya took a deep breath before standing up and giving the party a graceful bow.

“Please let me join your party. I wish to be an adventurer!”

Yes her dreams. She wanted to be an adventurer to explore the world. Together with her family. The only reason why she wanted to learn how to use space-time magic was because she needed a way to go back once in a while. To take care of things. Now that there are no longer things to take care of. Her decision was simple. 

She trusts these guys. Effinshia trusts these guys. It was only natural that she would ask to join them. It was hard to find a party that you can belong to. And Vidya knew that she indeed feel like she belongs with them.

Providence only gave a series of a complex expression. Some of the were baffled the others a bit hesitant. They got together in a small circle before whispering to each other, discussing Vidya’s wish to join their party. Vidya only continued bowing towards them, never lifting her head once.

She kept bowing until she heard the party leader Kranis spoke:- “Alright.”

Vidya was elated, she jumped for joy and met their faces only to see that they still have a complex expression on them. One that says that there was still something they needed to tell her.

‘What’s wrong?’ she asked herself.

“We don’t mind really… it’s just that… you aren’t an adventurer before this right Vidya?” Tyle asked.

“Yeah… If it’s about capability, then you need not worry! I may be inexperience and all but I hope if you show me the ropes I can be just as capable.”

“No… that’s not really the problem here. It’s just that… You have to pass a few tests before you can be an adventurer. And then there is the rank involved when you first join.” Ride explained further.

Passing tests is easy for Vidya. She was always good at academics, she was sure she could pass it easily. But the rank part that Ride said, she had no idea.

“Rank?” She asked

“Don’t worry about those things Viddy!” Lanarya interjected before holding Vidya’s hands tight. “I’ll be supporting you all the way!” She smiled.

Vidya only smiled back at her, grateful to have found such great friends. “I’m counting on you too, Lana. You guys as well. Ride, Tyle, Kranis, Scorch.” She gave another bow.

The guys gave back glad smiles. But not without a few wry and awkward ones.

* * * * *

 

“Passing test was easy, my foot. What was I thinking...” Vidya murmured to herself as she ran across the fields.

In front of her was finishing line and a guild receptionist who was keeping watch on her. One of the tests to be an adventurer was an endurance test. New aspiring adventurers would have to prove themselves capable of travelling and sometimes even fight over long periods of time. The test? For Vidya to run as many laps as she could around the field. The more laps she could do the better it is for her.

Vidya thought that it was pretty rudimentary of a test to gauge someone’s endurance, but Vidya had no choice but to comply if she wants to be an adventurer in Luth E’ll.

“Keep going Viddy!” Lanarya yelled. Cheering for Vidya. The other members of Providence just stared at her with amused faces. Except for Ride, he was cheering on for her. Vidya kept it in her heart to remember the three other guys who were laughing at her. One day she’ll get them back.

Vidya kept running across the field with ragged breath. This was her fifth going into her sixth lap. Just as she was about to cross the starting point of the fifth lap she dropped down to the ground and took rapid breaths in and out. “I *huff… I can’t take it anymore... *huff,”

Noting that she was out, the team providence went over to commend her. Or so she thought.

“Oi Oi, that was short. You could have at least run five more,” Kranis commented on her inability to run more laps.

Vidya heart sank when she heard this. ‘Five laps is considered bad?!’ She thought to herself.

Physical exercise like this was not her forte. Sure she’s a farm girl who had experience doing hard labour, but those were easily done after she had learned how to use basic and intermediate magic. So it has actually been quite a while since she had to run like this.

Lanarya lightly jabbed Kranis on the shoulders in response. “You did well. Don’t listen to cheapskate here.” Lanarya shot a glare towards Kranis who only shrugged back.

Vidya didn’t respond, she was still trying to catch her breath.

“Still, to only be able to run five laps before being this tired. That’s going to take off a lot of points.” Tyle commented.

Scorch nodded at Tyle’s words. “Agreed. It would have been better to at least go eight if possible.”

“I could run at least ten more. And that’s without dropping to the floor like that,” Kranis said.

“Give it a break guys. She’s haven’t got time to train her muscles yet. Five laps are actually pretty good for an average person when you think about it,” Ride gave out his own comment.

“Yeah what he said. You guys should be ashamed for talking down a girl like that!”

Ride and Lanarya tried to defend her. Vidya knew they only meant good, but it only serves to bring Vidya’s heart down further. How could she be expected to join their team if she couldn’t even keep up with them? What if they were being chased by a monster and they have to flee? Vidya would just be useless baggage at that point.

At a far corner of the field was the receptionist, Rosa, jolting down notes on a piece of paper regarding Vidya’s performance.

.. ..
.. ..
.. ..
.. ..

The second test to become an adventurer was reading comprehension. To be an adventurer, one must know how to read. If one doesn’t then they must take necessary procedures to learn it. This has always been a touchy subject and most guilds often look aside when testing for this criteria. However, much to Vidya’s luck, Luth E’ll’s Adventurer’s Guild branch does not.

Still, Vidya thought that it would be easy. She had read lots of books, some even difficult by normal standards. Storybooks and advance magic grimoires, this test would be easy as ABC!

Or so she thought…

Reading here doesn’t only mean reading words. It also meant reading maps and comprehending adventurer’s designation. Words like quest, fest, aggro, raids. She had absolutely no idea what some of the words even mean. Sure the guys helped her by getting her prepared, but it wasn’t nearly enough for her to answer comfortably. 

In their defence, they had warned her to take about a week to learn the ropes before going for the test. Vidya only ignored their advice thinking it would be easy, She’s an adult! Almost twenty years of age. How hard can it be?

“I’m such an idiot. Vidya you idiot…” She muttered as she stared at a bunch of paper. Each of them contained lots of questions regarding adventuring. Very few had answers on them.

The test also sprinkled in a little bit of general adventurer knowledge and basic map cartography skills. All which she failed spectacularly as she had zero knowledge of adventurer stuff outside of stories that her father told her and the stories she told to her brother.

Forget about adventuring knowledge, Vidya couldn’t even draw. How can she be expected to draw a damn map?

Vidya raised her hand towards Rosa, the receptionist who was monitoring her. “I wish to pass in the papers.”

Rosa came closer and saw the papers in front of Vidya before noting how many of the questions had no answers. “Are you sure about this? I think it would better if you answer some of these even if you don’t know the proper answer.”

“I’m done for anyways. A wrong answer is a wrong answer. I rather just not answer at all. If those guys read my answers, they won’t stop for days. Just save me the embarrassment,” Vidya clutched her witch hat down and hid her face in it.

“I see… Then I’ll be taking these. I wish you best of luck with your next test…” Rosa took the papers before writing down in her notebook about her performance.

.. ..
.. ..
.. ..
.. ..

The third test, Rosa said, was a straightforward test that should be easy enough for Vidya to do. It was a capability test, where the guild tests an adventurer’s fighting capability. The extent of the skill and spell that one can pull off and their prowess in combat.

Vidya thought again, that this would be easy. She is a rather strong witch that can cast up to grade five spells easy. Her excellent communication to the elemental spirits was one of the better ones amongst people.

As always… the test turned out to be something that destroyed Vidya’s expectation. In front of her was a capable B rank fighter designated to be her opponent in this ‘mock fight’. The very member of the same party that she wishes to join. 

Ride A’bell.

The adventurer’s guild didn’t care what kind of spells and how powerful it is that one can cast. They only care if it could be used in battle. This test only served to focus on Vidya’s capability in a fight. Make sense to her, now that she had the time to think about it. No one is going to stop and wait for you to cast spells in the middle of battle after all.

“Go… go easy on me Ride!” Vidya yelled towards her opponent Ride.

Ride held up his wooden sword and yelled back. “I’ll try not to hurt you that much!”

Vidya can’t help but feel a little bit nervous. Lanarya had told Vidya that she was a slightly better swordsman than Ride under normal circumstances, but that’s about the extent that Lanarya could brag about. Everything else, Ride can do better. His endurance, his focus and his acute mind were top-notch as far as everyone else is concerned.

But there was another swordsman that she knew eclipsed Ride. He can’t be that strong when compared to her right?

Rosa stood right in the middle of the arena that they were both in to check on both the participants. Having finished his preparations, he yelled to both of them to get ready. He then moved to the audience zone, before yelling out “Go!” Signalling for them to start.

Ride immediately took a battle stance and his wooden sword started glowing red. Ready to brandished it. He then quickly moved forward towards Vidya. Moved forward? No, Ride was charging straight at her.

‘Try to hit him with your fastest spell!’ Vidya recalled the advice that Lanarya gave earlier and started to cast one of her faster spells. The grade two spell ‘Zap bolt’.

“Oh hear me dea—” 
“Take this!” 

*Smack!

Vidya’s cast was interrupted before she could even finish her first sentence as Ride threw his wooden sword right onto Vidya’s face.

‘Who throws their only weapon at their enemy!?’ Vidya thought before dropping to the floor and passing out.

Everyone let out a look of shock and ran up to Vidya to make sure she was alright.

“Viddy!” Lanarya was the first to arrive and checked her condition. Rosa arrived second and the others came soon after. Ride was just standing to the sides to see if she was alright.

“Is she… dead?” Kranis asked only to get jabbed in the shoulders by Lanarya. This time so hard that Kranis had to touch the sore on his arm.

“She’s alright, just a light concussion. Her nose took a small hit though, but nothing an ointment or two can’t fix,” Rosa tells them her condition and everyone let out a sigh of relief.

“I’m sorry… I only wanted her to stop casting. I thought she would dodge it, not take it to the face like that.” Ride apologized.

“She was too preoccupied with her own thoughts that she failed to see the surroundings. Don’t take it too hard. I think you should have aimed for the legs though.” Tyle said.

“Stop talking around and bring her to an infirmary you jerks!” Lanarya yelled out before picking up Lanarya. The other assisted.

Rosa jotted down more notes as she saw the party bring her away.

.. ..
.. ..
.. ..

Vidya was sitting down on a couch while holding a piece of cloth over her nose. The cloth had a mixed of ointment in it and she held up to her nose to alleviate the pain. Too bad she doesn’t have the capacity to care about the pain right now. Her body shook in fear as she sees the scary black-skinned man across of him. His eye glaring at Vidya as if looking at an infant.

The guild master of the Luth E’ll branch. Latham himself.

“You are the girl from the poster are you not? Rosa and the other receptionist had made quite the commotion about you ever since you appeared these past few days.”

“Ye-yes!” Vidya answered.

Everyone in the guild had known of Vidya’s existence ever since they raided the hideout. The whole city was in an uproar and everybody and their mothers bugged Vidya. From rich nobleman who tried to seduce her to big scary men who tried to take her away. Effinshia was right in that they would cause a scene if she were to appear in public and it did alright.

The party members told her that everyone wanted to get that one platinum coin reward and tell her that she should make up a story to get them off  Vidya soon collaborated with the other members and they quickly left her alone once they realized that they would be unable to get that platinum coin as long as Providence was there. That, in turn, meant that Providence would be the party who will obtain the Platinum coin reward, which made Kranis ecstatic for life.

They haven’t actually claimed the coin yet though. The team decided to claim it after the lockdown has passed in fear of people attacking them for it.

“I’m rather glad you are alright. Mind if I ask a question by the way?”

“Ye-yes!” Vidya answered. Nervous to the bone.

“What kind of person is the person who would lay down a platinum coin just to make sure you are safe? I am assuming he is related to you.”

“I don’t know… I’ve never really met him before nor do I have any idea if there was someone close to me who would be willing to do that…” Vidya answered.

Vidya truly didn’t know who the requester is. All that she knew was that Effinshia found her in the last hideout and that she went to the guild to confirm of Vidya’s existence and that Vidya was fine and is staying in the Inn with the others. It was how she got found in the first place. Her whereabouts are currently unknown.

“I see… Nevermind that then. Let’s get to the last test. Though I say it’s a test, it’s more of an interview..” Latham moved his body forward and glared harder at Vidya.

“Ye-yes!” Vidya stammered yet again.

“...Do you even understand what it means to be an adventurer?” He asked. His voice was demanding and strong.

Vidya took repeated breaths to calm herself before saying:- “It’s about exploring the world. To go into dangerous places where no other would go and come back to tell the tale!”

The others had told her about how to answer the questions in mock interviews. Apparently this question was a rather famous question in A’bell where they took their test. Vidya took a while before telling them her answer. It got their vote of approval so Vidya simply repeated the answer here.

However, Latham was not amused by the answer. His face grew more serious which caused Vidya to shrink her posture.

“I expect that answer from a child. Not from an adult like you. Do you even know the risk of being an Adventurer? It’s not all fun, you could be seriously risking your life here. Worst yet, the lives of the people around you. And you think this is all a game?” Latham asked. His presence looming over Vidya.

“I…” Vidya couldn’t answer back.

How could she? She had seen how woefully inadequate she was. Throughout the day and all those tests, she saw it herself. The fact that she couldn’t keep up with them at all. When it comes to adventuring, she was inexperienced as a baby fresh out of the womb. She could not even hold up in a fight, how would she be expected to join them for battles?

 It was as Latham said. Forget about herself, she would only be risking the lives of her friends. She doesn’t deserve to even ask the question of them and yet they accepted it. For her to join the party.

“I know the dangers… But… I still want to be an Adventurer!” Vidya said.

Nevertheless, Vidya had made a decision. It was too late to stop now.

“I know I can’t catch up now, but I’ll try twice as hard so I can be on equal footing as them. I may not be able to fight, but I'll learn how to fight. All those terms and even drawing maps, I’ll learn them all!” She yelled to Latham with determination. Her posture strong and her eyes staring directly into Lantham.

“Why?” Lantham asked as he glared harder.

“Why?” Vidya asked back, not understanding the meaning of the question.

“Why do you want to be an adventurer?”

Vidya went silent and took a few moments to think of an answer. This was another question that adventurers are often asked of. She had an answer ready for this moment as a matter of fact. A generic answer, but Vidya has a feeling that Latham was looking for a different kind of answer.

So Vidya decided to tell him the truth. “It is my dream.”

“...” Latham remained quiet.

Vidya took a deep breath. “It’s always been my dream to be an adventurer. My father was one and my grandfather was one. It was his dream too… I just want to live that dream. To be a great adventurer like my father. I want to be a great adventurer for his sake as well. I want to explore the world. And I…”

Vidya then thought of the woman who had been with her for a few weeks. The person who came into her life and was there for her at her lowest point. The woman who would get angry for her when Vidya couldn’t.

“I want to repay my debt to a certain someone. One day.”

The room then remained silent. Vidya didn’t miss the slight upward curve on Lantham’s lips.

 

*****

 

The test was over and the following morning was the whole party in front of the receptionist desk of the Adventurer’s Guild. Rosa had told them to come back the next day as they need to process and evaluate the results from the tests. Though, Vidya could guess the results already. They were only there for formalities.

And the platinum of course. 

It was high time they finally claim the reward for themselves. They are to immediately travel out of the city right after claiming it. Lantham and Hamza will be assisting them to get out of the city incognito and with no one realizing that they have claimed the reward. Money can often drive people to do crazy things. They didn’t want to risk being attacked. Not with Vidya holding them back. Worst, if someone as strong as Effinshia were to go after them. They would only just get destroyed.

“I probably failed the test didn’t I?” Vidya said. Her eyes looking downwards in depression.

“Could always try again. In another city,” Kranis said.

Vidya had pretty much given up on Luth E’ll’s branch. The others mentioned that the result was not final and that she could try again on another date or in another city. 

“Don’t look too down. The guild really take applications seriously. They need to make sure you are really serious about the whole thing. People will be entrusting their livelihoods in your hands, can’t have a bunch of people thinking that it’s all just fun.”Scorch added to the conversation.

“Yeah I guess…”

“Don’t worry about it Viddy, I’m sure everything will be alright. We’ll help you out in the next one!” Lanarya chimed in.

Vidya shone a smile towards Lanarya, “Thanks Lana.”

The group continued conversing when Rosa finally came from the staff door. “Sorry for the wait. Here you go Mr.Kranis.” He said as he passed Kranis an envelope. “Guild Master Hamza told me to tell to you a message by the way. Be careful with this one young Kranis, I won’t be able to back you up this time.” The beautiful looking man said while trying to mimic Hamza’s voice.

Kranis could only give back a wry smile. Tyle followed up with a palm on his face.

“Well, I guess we leave now huh. Which city are you guys planning to go next by the way?” Vidya asked the party members.

“Ahh wait, Ms Vidya. I need to give this to you.” Rosa stopped her before handing her one card.

An Adventurer’s Card. A slight glint of the word F could be seen on it.

“Fueh?” Vidya confused voice escaped her mouth.

“Congratulations Ms Vidya. You are now an Adventurer. The guild hopes more from you in the future.” Rosa gaw a slight bow before clapping for the girl.

Vidya shut it all from her mind. She couldn’t believe what she was holding in her hands. Her heart fluttered with excitement, but a part of her mind was convinced that this was too good to be true, that she must have been dreaming. What really confirmed it was the other members congratulating her. Her depressing frown, turn into a bright smile and she clutched the card close to her heart.

She finally did it. She took the first step to her dreams.

“By all means, I have to clarify that I intend to fail you for your terrible performance. But Guild Master Lantham insisted that you are to be an adventurer. It’s rare for him to commend someone like that.” Rosa said to Vidya.

“Ahaha…” Vidya laughed sheepishly, a sweat drop fell down from her face.

“Please don’t let his decision be a mistake. I’m expecting great things from you.” Rosa said further.

“I’ll… I’ll do my best!” Vidya said back determinedly.

“Don’t worry Rosa, we’ll be there for here. Right guys?” Lanarya chimed in.

The four guys nodded in response. Each of them may not be too overly excited about the prospect, but Lanarya knew that they felt the same way as her. 

Rosa let out a sigh. “Then I have no other words. I believe you all know of the restrictions of having an F rank in a high ranking party right?”

“Yeah we do,” Tyle responded.

“Restrictions?” Vidya asked. She didn’t know what Rosa meant.

“A restriction to the kind of request we could take. This is to prevent low ranks from leeching off a high rank team.” Ride explained to Vidya.

Vidya let out a gasp and her fingers touched her lips. “No way! That means…”

She would be actively holding them back even outside of battles. The others knew about it, but they still let her join regardless.

“There you have it, Ms Vidya. You have to work hard for their sakes as well.” Rosa added.

Vidya took it to her heart to try even harder now. “I got it.”

“Then shall we leave? We got to get ready to leave the city.” Scorch asked.

“Wait! There is one more thing.” Rosa placed a letter on the desk. “The requester of the request wanted me to pass this letter to you when you finally claim your reward, Ms Vidya.”

“Fueeh? The requester?” Vidya asked as she took the letter.

“Yes, she wanted you to read it in private.”

“I see…” Vidya opened the letter before turning her back away from the others so they couldn’t see the contents. She felt a little bit sorry for the others who were looking rather curiously, but a girl needs to have her privacy.

Vidya started to read the letter slowly. A series of expression came out from her face as she read it. First a look of shock and confusion. Then a look of worry accompanied by her wrinkled brows and her teeth biting her own lips. 

After a while, it soon changed to a look of remorse as her eyes started to water up. It finally ended with tears falling down her cheeks as she crumpled up the letter. “That Idiot…” She said, her voice quaked. She then let out a loud sob and covered her face with her hands.

Everyone was surprised of course, what kind of letter was written to her that she would cry like this? They all gathered around her and waited for her to calm down. Lanarya slowly rubbing her back.

Vidya then told herself to try harder. Even harder.

For his and her sake.

1