I can’t hate you
5.7k 5 136
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oi, how dare you mess with this He Qiang, eh?!"

Liang Fei, like everyone else on the street, had turned to see what the commotion was. Since he was taller than most, he could see that there was a young man standing up tall and noble with a bunch of other similarly noble looking people. Yet their behavior was anything but.

Anyone else would have turned their gaze away, choosing to let the matter be settled among those involved but Liang Fei was not like that. Not when it was a group of people against one lone person.

And that person was a dear friend of his, An Li.

An Li was a courtesan that he had met with a few times while working. An Li was one of the few male courtesans there and was generally mistreated due to customers apparently feeling wronged for being 'mislead'. Liang Fei had helped him with a particularly unhappy customer and the young man had yet to let it go. Even as he frequently told him he needed no reward, An Li kept trying to repay him.

It was a bit bothersome but he was a nice guy who helped him a number of times. As such, Liang Fei was not about to let him get bullied.

"Please state your business with Xiao Li." He called out, gaining the attention of everyone around, though most weren't surprised. Their family's Tankian was the type to come and assist if the need arises. But these trouble makers were...

"Us? How about you start with your own introduction before making demands from us." One of the young men demanded, cocking a brow as he brazenly showed off his robes. They were vibrant gold and white, emblazoned with a single white flower. They were clearly cultivators though Liang Fei wasn't sure what sect.

"You go around, making a scene in the middle of town and even talk down to an elder, yet expect courtesy?" He countered, his tone relaxed but provocative. His cold eyes cut through the air, making the young men shiver. The so called noble air they put out now felt stagnant when compared to Liang Fei. Even dressed in robes of fine fabric and obvious power, they still fell short of the natural elegance Liang Fei exuded by pure instinct.

"You..." They began, jealous of that inborn grace, only to be interrupted by the man before them.

"How very brazen of you. I wonder what your Master would say seeing you act this way while proudly displaying your colors." The youths flinched, unable to reply to such words, since the truth of them rang as clear as a bell. Still, pride kept them from backing down.

"Hey, how about you mind your own business and leave us be, Uncle?" A youth suggested glaring up at him. He said youth but the man looked to be at least in his 20's. Had Liang Fei been in his own body, they might even be considered close in age. He was standing beside another young man who smiled serenely though to Liang Fei, he looked very snake like.

"I should leave you noble and upright immortals to harass a young man?" He replied, curious about this new face. He was different than the other hot headed youth who shouted and raved like dogs. "Am I so heartless?"

"Never, dear sir," He said, his smile never reaching his eyes but serene in their temperance. "but knowing nothing of our affair with said young man would make one quite discourteous." He stated, putting Liang Fei on the spot. The person in questions was just shocked by how brazen this kid spoke while trying to be respectful.

"You who bring your 'issues' into the town square has made it a public necessity to interfere." He pointed out, standing firm. "If you wanted privacy, perhaps you should have taken the matter elsewhere."

"Then forgive us for causing a scene." He said, his smile never faltering for a second. "Then please allow us to rectify the situation ourselves, dear elder." He said, taking a step toward An Li, who flinched and turned his pleading eyes to Liang Fei. While he had yet to look at the young man, he knew the boy had been roughed up just a bit.

"State your concern with Xiao Li." He stated, stepping between the smiling youth and An Li.

"It's a private matter, Elder." He replied, his eye twitching just a bit at his audacity. Liang Fei was unfazed.

"..."

"You won't allow us to pass judgement on him?"

"..."

"Then please excuse this junior for forcing the matter." He said, his smile never leaving as he moved to rush past Liang Fei, convinced he could bypass the mortal. And surely this man was a mortal, brazen as he was, for he couldn't sense qi radiating from or around him. While the young man was not that high in rank, he was surely capable of getting past some random villager.

As his hand reached out to grab the offensive young man, a loud sound rang out and pain raced through him. Instinct had him jumping away, landing on a rooftop, clutching his arm. His younger disciple brothers, not knowing what had occurred, looked around to spot what had attacked their Shixiong. Nothing was apparent other than the fact that the mortal now held a long stick wrapped in cloth.

It was hard to make out a shape but the way it was held, they assumed it was either a club or a sword. But surely it wasn't the latter, for why would a mortal dare brandish a sword toward an cultivator, even ones as low ranked as themselves.

Meanwhile, the young smiling man on the roof, remained still trying to fight the pain in his wrist. This pain, he knew it well but to be treated like that... in front of his Shidi, no less. This was beyond insulting.

"Who are you!?" He roared, quickly losing his facade of pleasant indifference. "You are no mortal."

As this all occurred, Liang Fei remained quiet as he stared down at his sword.

Oh, now you wish to cooperate with me? He thought, curious about the change.

Since he'd come to this world, the sword in his hand had been nothing but a burden. It clung to his side despite never yielding to him. He couldn't even pull it out of it's sheath so he ended up having to wrap it up to remain inconspicuous. He rarely used it as anything more than a convenient crowbar or a hammer.

Yet now, it allowed him to use it, if to nothing more than to smack the wrist of that smiling young man. Part of him wondered if the child (all people younger than the current him as children in his mind) was alright with being struck with a sword but he was a cultivator so perhaps he could take just a bit more.

(AN: Honestly, I'm tempted to name this thing 'El Kabong' with how often LF will use this thing as anything other than a sword.)

Keeping this in mind, Liang Fei considered his next move, effectively ignoring the young man as he tried to shout him down. When the young man saw that this daring mortal hadn't even bothered to look at him, his fury rose like a flame.

"You dishonor me then ignore me?" He shouted, jumping down and brandishing an aura of maliciousness. While no one outside the conflict was a cultivator, they could feel the change in the air. They felt like their blood was frozen in their veins and not a muscle could be moved. All save for one.

"Brother, watch out!" Xieren cried, running to alert the older man whose thoughts had long since drifted from the present. While Xieren knew brother was absent minded, he hoped that perhaps he'd hear his warning and move. Just as he reached him, the opposing cultivator had reached them, about the attack with a qi attack.

Scared, Xieren buried his head in Tankian's chest, wishing he was strong enough to move the man out of the way. If he was just a bit-

Air rushed from him as he was lifted onto Tankian's shoulder and the world shifted greatly. His vision was blurred but he could hear a loud slap followed by a cry of pain. When the world righted itself, Xieren looked around, seeing only a boy older than him staring up at him.

Was this who brother was saving? He wondered, scowling at his fancy clothes and pretty face with resentment. Ugly bastard.

"You..." A voice growled, bringing Xieren back to the present. Twisting around, he looked to see the young man who had challenged him before on the ground on his hands and knees. His hateful glare was enough that had he the power, the whole town would have been set ablaze. Instead, his glare was countered by another's cold stare.

"You do not attack others when their back is turned." Liang Fei stated, his tone brooking no argument and making those who heard that quiet statement shiver. The harshest winters were nothing compared the the winds brought forth by those few words alone. "You lot are no different than lowly bandits."

Before another word could be spoken, he turned his back on them. Effectively dismissing them with that, Liang Fei adjusted Xieren in his arms so he could easily stand on his own. Despite all the drama, his expression was calm and still, making others feel at ease and dismissive as well. Soon the crowd dispersed, as if the spell drawing their attention had faded with merely a wave of Liang Fei's hand.

The group of cultivators, not wanting to lose any more face than they already have dragged their companion away. While they tried to salvage what little pride they had left, they swore in their hearts that the matter would not end here. That brazen man, clearly a cultivator hiding among mortals, would not be the winner. They would get revenge somehow.

Liang Fei, seeing the youths run off and glare back at him, could figure out mostly what was going through their heads. He was only slightly concerned about the matter but really, how was it his fault. They went around and caused trouble yet acted wronged? What kind of brains did they have? Were they rotted from all that training? Surely they were smarter than this.

If Liang Fei was more familiar with stallion novels, he might have noted how consistently dumb some cannon fodder were when in the proximity of the protagonist. Cunning and clever people had their IQ do a free fall whenever in his presence.

Then again, these people seemed to just be plain stupid. Perhaps being in the protagonists presence just made it more noticeable.

Said protagonist was currently holding Liang Fei tightly, rubbing his face into his clothes. Why? Because he smelled nice.

That mysterious brother Tankian smell was stronger the closer he got and he wanted to bask in its proximity before the older man pushed him away.

Liang Fei, on the other hand, was staring at the action, inwardly losing his mind at how cute the sight was. It reminded him of how kittens and cats would rub up against his leg when wanting his attention. It was the most adorable thing ever!!

An Li, seeing Liang Fei's eyes bore into the kids skull, grew concerned and spoke, wanting to save the child from his friends reprisal. Clearly, the man was not pleased by his proximity.

"H-hey now, how about we get out of here?" He suggested, grabbing Xieren's shoulders to pull him away. His eyes were pinned on Liang Fei, so he missed the death glare from Xieren, who wanted to bite the hands that drew him away from his favorite person.

Bastard! The thought roared in his mind, waiting on the tip of his tongue to be spoken but he stopped himself. Brother wouldn't like it if he bit this weird ugly guy.

Watching the two, Liang Fei nodded, wanting to talk things over with An Li. He was concerned. There should be no reason for him to have been in trouble with Cultivators.

***

"I'm back!" An Li called out, walking into the room with a tray of tea and snacks. When he didn't get a response, he turned to see the two engaged in something or other. Walking closer, he saw the two writing as Liang Fei spoke quietly.

"Not like that." He said, taking Xieren's hand and moving it. "Like this."

"Alright." The boy beamed, liking the proximity. The nice brother smell was all over.

(AN: Xieren is very kitty like in his affection. Watch how he ends up bringing dead birds to his doorstep.)

"Is this what you guys do?" An Li asked, setting the tray down. "Write?"

"Big brother is teaching me to read and write." Xieren stated, his tone haughty and catty, leaning on Liang Fei shamelessly. Had Liang Fei not been there, he would have stuck his tongue out. "So if uncle would- Eek!"

"Be good." Liang Fei gently scolded, taking the tea in hand. "Thank you."

"Yes, big brother...." The boy mumbled, pouting as he rubbed his hand. He had just been playing around a bit. There was no reason to pinch him like that.

"What a cute kid." An Li marveled, his eyes glowing at the sight. He so rarely got to see cute things so even this little brat was a welcome reprieve.

"I'm not cute!" He denied, scowling at the older man. He very much disliked being called cute. He was a boy and boys aren't supposed to be cute.

He was practically a man already so his manly pride wouldn't allow for such-

"You are though." Liang Fei stated, taking a sip of tea. He hadn't really meant to speak the words out loud. His thoughts usually stayed thoughts but this one was just too strong to not be said.

"I am?!" Xieren turned to Liang Fei, his manly pride ruthlessly tossed aside. Did big brother think he was cute? Part of him still disliked being called cute but another part was positively giddy at the complement sent his way. "Brother likes cute things?"

"Everyone likes cute things." An Li answered, a bit sad that the kid seemed to be ignoring him. Was he disliked? He quickly got his answer when said child glared daggers at him.

"No one asked you..." He retorted, only to receive a flit to the forehead. "Ow!"

"Behave, Xieren." He scolded, giving the child a chiding look. Xieren wilted, curling in on himself.

"Sorry..." He muttered contritely. An Li looked on in amazement.

"As long as you understand." Liang Fei, satisfied that he had given him some guidance, excused himself. He had to get away for a bit. All alone with the kid, An Li felt the need ti air his grievances.

"Seriously?" He questioned, scowling at the now glaring child in front of him. "Uncle Tankian gets the cute act and I get sour face you? How is that fair?"

"Cause I like big brother." He stated brazenly, not hiding his distain for the young man.

"But not me." He didn't bother to ask it since it was obvious what the answer was.

"Never."

"How come?"

"..." Xieren said nothing, not because he didn't want to but because he was honestly not that sure. Part of him was still wary of big brother, as he was with most people, since the man was so mysterious and strange. His strength and abilities were very much that of a cultivator but he wore none of the robes of any sect. He rarely spoke in front of him and kept his face hidden, even after all this time. Everything about him screamed 'not to be trusted'.

Yet Xieren still went to visit him every day he could. He still smiled at him when not even Xinyi could get a smile out of him. There was just a something he liked about big brother. Perhaps it was just instinct but he felt that the man wouldn't harm him.

His instincts had yet to lead him astray so perhaps it was best to trust it.

"Is it cause me and uncle are close?" An Li continued, earning a heavy glare from the child. An Li, as experienced as he was, was only slightly put off by the look. It was scary but coming from a child, it was a lot less so. "No need to get all sour faced, little one. I doubt I could take him from you. He likes you too much."

His words, casually as they were, remained stuck in his head, circling about in mind as the young man continued to speak. Whatever was said was lost to time, with no one but the speaker hearing them. Who knows what important words were said then but even if they were the secret to the universe, nothing could grab him like those simple words.

He likes you too...

Xieren was over the moon at the thought of being liked by brother Tankian. He was very cold and quiet, rarely talking to him and touching him even less. He still hadn't gotten that head pat despite how well behaved he was.

"Xieren!" Xieren jumped, hearing his name being called by his favorite person. He was standing by the door. "Come with me."

With no hesitation, the young boy jumped to his feet and ran to meet him, smiling happily at the man. Said man had to harden his heart to resist the urge to pet him. He was so cute!!

"Where are we going?"

"Bath"

"Eh? These places have baths?" He asked, thinking of the few times he'd seen a bath. At the sect, only the masters had exclusive baths. The disciples had wells to draw water from and rivers when the weather allowed for it. Xieren, disliked as he was, didn't have a lot of opportunities to bathe since other liked to harass him more often than not.

"W-wait, do I smell?!" He suddenly realized, twisting around to smell himself. He couldn't smell anything but perhaps he'd just gotten used to it? "B-brother?"

Liang Fei looked away, not wanting the distress the boy any further. Such words didn't need to be said.

***

He really did smell bad.

Xieren, as soon as he removed his humble robes, noticed the smell and immediately wanted to curl up and die. Had he smelled this bad when he was leaning on brother? Was this why he had turned away so many times?

Seeing the child curled up as he was, Liang Fei couldn't help but feel a bit of pity.

He definitely noticed the smell.

He hadn't wanted to say anything in front of An Li nor could he bring it up during their lesson but it had to be resolved. Hygiene was important.

"Do you plan on remaining there?" He asked after watching him remain in place for a full minute. Was he that self conscious?

The bright red little bun remained crouched on the ground, embarrassed beyond belief. Please don't ask him to move!!

Sighing, Liang Fei lifted the child into the air and tossed him into the tub. As expected, he was very light. Perhaps he should get him more food. The boy barely weighed anything. As he thought this, said child had broke the surface of the water, coughing up water.

"Brother!" He cried out, carefully wiping the water from his face without disturbing his bangs.  "Why-"

"Was I to wait for you?"

"B-but..."

"You won't smell any better staying in one spot."

"Ah~ Don't say it like that!" He begged, his face red as a tomato.

"Like what? That you stink?" He said, mercilessly continuing to bring it up. "But you do."

(AN: LF really won't let this go.)

Xieren sank into the fragrant water, blowing petulant bubbles at the man. Really, big brother was too cruel, bringing this up so many times. How could he-

His thoughts were interrupted by a flood of water pour over his head.

I haven't put anything to wash your hair yet." He said, confused as to why he was covering his eyes.

"You can't see them!

Can't see what?

"...My eyes." He whispered, just barely heard by the man kneeling nearby. Liang Fei frowned, confused. When he thought about it, he did recall that Xieren had knocked his hand away when they'd first met. It had been when he tried to lift his bangs. Was he embarrassed?

"Eyes can't smell bad, you know." He stated, wanting to assure the child.

"I know that!" He retorted, a bit annoyed but mostly nervous. "I...I just don't want big brother to hate me."

"I'll hate you after seeing your eyes?" He asked, more confused than ever. Why would something like that make him hate him?

"S-so, I'll just-"

"I won't hate you." 

"Eh?"

"I can't hate you really." He clarified, petting Xieren gently. As he thought, his hair was soft and smooth. Really, it was super soft. "So relax. I won't push you."

Xieren, his heart in turmoil, looked up at him with his gold eye, peeking through his fingers. He was truly scared of being disliked. Everyone who saw his eyes turned their back on him. Perhaps even his own parents.

He liked big brother more than others but he refused to risk having him hate him. Tears nearly spilling from his eyes, he mumbled the words.

"P-promise?"

Liang Fei wasn't sure what he was asking, whether it was that he wouldn't hate him or if he wouldn't push him on the eye thing but either way, the answer was the same.

"Yes, I promise." He assured, petting him again. He seemed to really like that. "Turn around."

"Eh?"

"I'll help clean up so you don't smell anymore."

Big brother really is too mean...

136