Making Things Right
5.1k 2 129
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun had barely risen in the sky but Liang Fei was already up and ready. Stretching, he looked out his small window and let the morning air greet him.

It'd been about a week since he'd dropped Xieren off at the sect, needing to get him someplace safe while he ran errands. Since the boy tended to remain on the grounds for a few days before descending down the mountain again, Liang Fei didn't think he'd miss him when he came back. His time in the town was short, long enough only to drop off a note he wanted passed to Xieren.

He'd thought of dropping it off in his room but figured that might be too suspicious. While he was sure his identity was still safe, showing up at the sect so often with no apparent connection to it might come off as strange.

He had briefly heard whispers about some event involving a bunch of cultivators in town but paid it no mind since there was often talk of the immortals. They came by often and always set the town abuzz. Part of him wanted to partake in the gossip but he had other things to take care off before he took on the role of Shao Liang Fei, some villain guy in this apparent novel.

"Ah~" He sighed, closing his eyes. He'd been living like this for a couple weeks now and he had progressed a lot more than he'd thought. His new body, foreign as it was, was much easier to move now. He could practically fly with how high he could jump.

There were still many things he didn't understand but as the days passed, he found himself feeling slightly less homesick. He still thought about his family, his friend and all he'd left behind. He wondered how they took his death. Were they crying? Probably, though he was sure his friend would try to lighten things up. Would they be alright without him? While he and Mei both worked to support their aunt and uncle, his job was a lot more lucrative, though much more soul draining.

Not that he had minded though. He was fine with working to help support his family. It was just that deep within his heart, he had dreams. Dreams that only left the deep recesses of his mind when copious amounts of alcohol was involved.

To be a teacher.

Since he was a child, he'd wanted to teach. He couldn't help but think of the joy one must feel seeing the children they helped cultivate grow up and do amazing things. There were downsides but somehow, he knew that his passion would help ease those times when stress and frustration build up. When he had told his best friend about it, he laughed at first, finding amusement that his dream was so mundane.

"Seriously? A teacher?!" He'd said, snickering as he stared down at his drunk friend. "How very like you, to have a dream so dull."

Liang Fei had wanted to tear into him, inebriation giving him the will to speak his mind when common sense would usually silence him. But Xue Tian continued.

"But that's not a bad thing. All that matters is that you have something to be passionate about." He sighed, taking a swig. "Keep that in mind and who knows?! Maybe you'll get a chance to do it."

Thinking back, he realized he never got to fulfill his dream when he was alive. It was sad but perhaps he had gotten another chance at it. There were still a lot of unknowns but he felt somewhat content living in this world. It was strange and hard to comprehend but he couldn't deny... it was exciting to say the least.

Looking around, he spotted some Xieren's practice work that he'd brought back and couldn't help smiling a bit. The handwriting was messy and blotchy in places but the characters were there and were (somewhat) legible. Pride for his student bloomed in his heart.

He'd finally found himself a student to teach. It had been troublesome to keep from talking outside of their lessons and Xieren, like any child, was hard to keep focused but just as he'd thought... The paper is gently tucked away, shielded from the elements.

Seeing him succeed, even just a little, brought joy to his heart that washed his sadness away in an instant. He was looking forward to teaching him more words and seeing him learn just how wide the world could be. Cause soon enough, he'll be able to read!!!! He had so many suggestions in mind, starting from the classics to the more contemporary books.

(AN: LF REALLY likes books and wishes to share it with anyone with earshot.)

With a eager step, he turned around, catching his reflection in the mirror. Long black hair, no longer pulled back in a high ponytail but gracefully falling flat on his back. The only thing keeping it from blowing about was a ribbon tied at the nape of his neck. His skin was flawlessly pale, not a hint of the make up he'd used to hide himself. The only that was the same was his eyes, bright violet that shined with quickly fading glee.

Ah, right. He was no longer Tankian.

He tampered his expectations quickly, reminding himself that he had to go back to his 'real' life. He couldn't hide away forever, pretending to be a vagrant. While it had been nice, he had a role to take on, a responsibility.

He was a teacher after all.

He had more than just one pupil to guide and teach. While he enjoyed teaching Xieren, he was but one of many. Among those left in his care was the protagonist, destined to kill him in... horrible ways. To prevent this, he had to show himself to be a good role model to everyone, not just Xieren.

Liang Fei promised himself to make all his students feel content under his care and succeed... even if he had to break them to do it! He thought, passion for his job burning throughout his body.

Elsewhere, those under the tutelage of Master Shao shuddered, feeling as if a storm was coming and there was no escape.

***

Walking around, Liang Fei wasn't sure what he expected but it wasn't this.

"Good morning, Shizun!" All the children of various ages called out, bowing low. They had been waiting for their master to visit the main hall but ended up catching him walking around the grounds. Liang Fei, not knowing what was happening, nodded in understanding.

He was hungry so he had been trying to get to the cafeteria before greeting his students but got caught before hand.

Damn.

With a sigh, he went over to speak to them, wanting to familiarize with his students. As expected, the disciples were on edge, not used to their master even looking at them let alone acknowledging their greeting.

"Name and current rank." He said, looking over at the children before him. When their shocked silence went on, he cocked a brow. "Well?"

They quickly regained their souls, shock momentarily taking it from them. Was this truly real?! Shizun actually speaking to them!

Had hell frozen over?!

After listening to them introduce themselves, Liang Fei turned and left, leaving the disciples to remain in place, their world blown and their hearts racing.

Some were over the moon that their usually distant master had paid them any mind while others wondered why he seemed different.

None really disliked the change and went about their day, unaware of the hell that was about to descend upon them.

As this was going on, Liang Fei was going over a lesson plan and trying to figure out how to improve those falling behind. As expected, many had fallen to the wayside, low in rank as they meekly admired in front of everyone.

That had to change.

Another issue was that he hadn't seen Xieren amongst the disciples. He knew he was hated by the child but that didn't excuse failing to greet him. Had he overslept?

As he pondered this, he happened to pass by some building where some disciples were talking. They hadn't noticed him yet, so their words were candid.

"Shit, we need to get to the main hall quick!" One of the youth cried, clearly worried. "What if Elder Shao notices we aren't-"

"Relax!" Kang Su assured, leaning against the wall. "Elder never checks who's there so I doubt he'll notice."

"Yeah, but..."

"Besides, once he learns about that brat, he'll understand our absence." He sneered, his confidence easing the tension between him and the two boys before him. "Someone has to watch over his disciple."

"The waste is still locked up?" One asked,more curious than concerned. "How long has it been?"

"A week, I think?"

"A week?" Another said, shocked but amused. "I hope you at least gave him some food otherwise we might end up giving Elder Shao a corpse."

The thought if ridding the sect of that worthless child filled them glee and ended up sharing a laugh over it.

Kang Su, personally pleased with himself, turned around only to bump into someone. Looking up, about to scold them for daring to get in his way, his heart stopped when he saw the cold gaze boring into him.

"E-elder Shao!" Kang Su cried, surprised but happy to see the elder. "This disciple humbly greets you. I hope you are doin-"

"I can see that." He interrupted, cocking a brow at Kang Su. "Now what is this about punishing my Disciple?" He demanded, a cold wind blowing through the air as he stood there, staring down at the young man. The usually fearless Kang Su shivered, not daring to look up.

"U-uh, If this humble disciple may speak, I was just-"

"Just?"

"Our younger apprentice brother was found wandering about town despite being told to prepare for Elder Shao's descent from seclusion." He explained, hoping their master had not heard them talking before. "Since Elder Shao was unable to, we humble disciples locked him away to await punishment from Elder."

"Oh? You get to decide who I punish, do you?" He countered, eyeing all of the boys. "I must say, this master is quite surprised. When did such young men surpass me in authority?" He asked, watching the boys break out in a cold sweat but continuing anyway. "Should I yield other things to you?"

"W-what!? I would never-"

"Perhaps we can have a match, so that my young disciple can show off how strong you've become." He suggested, his tone light even as his eyes remained cold. "Surely you have improved greatly since my departure?"

Kang su felt his heart freeze, fear of being discovered evident. He, like most of the disciples under his master, tended to be lax when Elder Shao was not around, which was often. In fact, the reason he'd even spotted Xieren was because he and his companions were planning on hanging about town. Rumor had it that the girls in town were lovely.

Pale in face, Kang su kowtowed to Liang Fei, pleading shameless to be let off. He truly hadn't meant to offend the man. In fact, he expected praise, since he usually cared little for what happened to that little urchin. Had he pushed his luck?

"This Elder is a merciful master so I will allow you to remain in my care." He said, after letting the young man beg not to be his opponent. Honestly, he wasn't really planning on fighting him. For one thing, he was a kid so some leeway had to be given. On the other, while his trust club (sword) was useful in a fight, it might be strange if he can't draw it.

"Thank you, Elder Shao." Kang Su sighed, his muscles relaxing from the tension he hadn't known was going through him. He had felt his life was about to end. But Elder was generous enough to-

"Ten laps."

"Eh?"

"Must I repeat myself every time?" He sighed, his tone light as air. "Ten laps around the sect grounds. Same as before. No meal until you're done."

"E-Elder Shao, thats-"

"Oh? So you do wish to have a match with me?"

Heart racing, Kang jumped to his feet, sweating profusely. "N-n-no! I'll get started right away, Elder!" Quickly, as if scared the man would change his mind if he stalled any further, Kang Su dashed away, his heart crying the tears he couldn't shed.

Why this again!?

All the while, Liang Fei sighed, scratching his head in frustration. How annoying. Were his students so undisciplined that they so candidly mocked and harassed others?

He'd have to fix that.

"All is well, Master Shao?" Liang Fei turned to see the sect leader standing nearby, closer than most would be comfortable with. Anyone else would jump, surprised by either the proximity of the man or the abruptness of his appearance.

But Liang Fei was not anyone else.

With a steady heart and eyes, he took a step back to properly greet the man seen as ice cold. Just then, his mask of apathy fell, revealing a slight pout.

"Really? Nothing?" Zi Shuren sighed, disappointed. He had wanted to get a rise out of the man. It had been over a month since they saw each other last and Shuren had been awaiting the day he'd see Liang Fei again.

"Hm? Was there something Master Shuren wished of me?" Liang Fei asked, completely ignorant of how cute he looked cocking his head to the side. Staring up at the slightly taller man with a deadpan expression that screamed 'i don't know what I look like'.

Shuren, unwilling, took a step back, surprised by the sudden racing of his heart. Truly, this man was too much.

"I-I see you have returned to us, Master Shao." He said, replacing his mask quickly. He didn't want to be looked down upon for succumbing to the newly apparent... appeal of Liang Fei. Really. It was too much.

Still confused but not putting much more thought into it, Liang Fei replied succinctly.

"I am grateful to have Master Shuren welcome me back." He said, his tone light but pleasant. Shuren suppressed the happiness that bloomed in his heart at the phrase.

"Perhaps then, Master Shao would be willing to have some tea with me." He asked, trying to ignore how pretty the man's eyes were. Were they always so pretty?

Deep in his mind, he briefly recalled that Liang Fei had always had green eyes, not violet but the thought was quickly crushed before it reached the surface.

"I would very much like that," He replied, unaware of the giddy joy erupted under the surface of the man before him. "But I must attend to my student first."

"Ah, the one locked in the shack?" He guessed, not hiding his knowledge of this. He wasn't tolerant of such billing but rules had been broken and the one with the final say was Liang Fei, not him.

"So you knew about this?" He asked, his tone dripping ice as he thought of this man allowing a child to be bullied.

Zi Shuren, an ice prince himself remained firm, though a but taken aback at the man's sudden concern. He barely noticed the harassment before.

"They're your disciples." He stated, giving an equally cold look. The two blizzards raged on between them before one side, Liang Fei, gave in.

"My apologies then." He sighed, frustrated at the mess left behind for him. His students were like this because of lack of guidance.

He'd have to fix that.

***

Xieren woke up.

Like the days before, the first sight to greet him was the dirty hay left in the shack he was locked up in. The air was thick and stale from the lack of windows and he could feel the sweat rolling off his skin.

His breaths were shallow, his body trying to stave off the sickness plaguing him.

Those bastards had left him here to die!

A week before, he'd been caught roaming about town without permission. He was dragged up the mountain, screaming in pain as the terrain went from streets to dirt roads fast. These seniors were at a level where they could afford to get a ride but chose to walk just for the pleasure of seeing him cry out in pain.

Part of him hated that he'd given them that pleasure. He'd so wanted to remain silent but after an hour of his clothes and skin being scrapped, it was nearly impossible to remain quiet.

When they finally arrived, Kang Su and his thugs had dumped him before the rest of the disciples, telling them how he'd been caught in town, lazing about rather than working on their Master's return ceremony. Everyone rallied against him, finding fault in him abandoning his work as a disciple to play around.

Xieren hadn't expected anything different.

No one asked why his robes was in tatters or why he was bleeding. No one even spared him more than a glance before condemning him to this shack, to await further punishment.

So now he had to stay where he was, waiting for that hateful man to come and punish him further. And he would. Shizun rarely missed a chance to torment him somehow.

Even when he was absent, his influence brought him harm.

As his skin burned with a fever, he whispered promises to himself, to stave off the pain. None were new.

To get stronger, stronger than anyone.

To kill those who had laughed at his suffering.

To make a place where he could live in peace.

Hidden, the masked face of Tankian appeared before him. Stoic yet gentle violet eyes gazed at him, his feverish mind bringing with it the illusion of a smile.

His vision fading as the fever pushed him into unconsciousness, he made one more promise.

To see Tankian once more.

Just as darkness claimed him, he heard the door slam open, the sweet smell of fresh air and something else rushed passed him.

"Xieren!?" The voice called out, deep concern evident in its voice. It was muffled and faded to his ears but Xieren took comfort in that voice.

A pair of arms embraced him, bringing that wondrous scent closer. Still a bit out of it, Xieren pressed himself closer despite the heat, not wanting to part with this person. This person cared...

"Brother..."

129