Meet you there
4.2k 4 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Big Brother, save me!"

Liang Fei didn't get a chance to respond as the people approaching finally reached them. It was a group of five, all cloaked in black and brandishing their swords.

"What business do you have with my Stud- I mean, brother?" He demanded, his cold eyes drifted among them. From their aura, they were clearly cultivators but he couldn't figure out what was different. They didn't have the same kind of aura as he'd become accustomed to.

It was vaguely similar to Xieren's aura but much more disgusting.

Without taking his eyes off the group, he pushed Xieren behind him, shielding him from sight. Only then did the men take note of his presence.

"Move aside, mortal." They warned, raising their swords. Their faces were obscured but Liang Fei could feel the tension in the air. They weren't happy about him being there.

Yet they thought he'd just abandon his student just because they pointed a sword at him? Who the hell did they think he was?

Still wanting to remain undercover, he took out his only weapon, a sword that refused to leave its sheath but clung to him like glue. While it wasn't a sword at this point, it was still cultivator's weapon and could take hits better than any old stick.

"Make me." He challenged, shocking both the men closing in on them and Xieren with his response. To be goaded like that with such a deadpan expression, it infuriated anyone.

"Then Die" The men closed in, surrounding them both only staring at Liang Fei. Satisfied that his student was not their main focus at the moment, Liang Fei shoved him aside to fight properly.

As expected, five on one was a difficult position to be in, mortal or cultivator. But Liang Fei was a man who had lived most of his life fighting off jealous young men, many of whom were older than him. He knew how to fight when the odds were against you.

Xieren stood back, in awe of his Shizun's skill. He'd seen the man fight before but this was an entirely different man. When they sparred, Shizun always held himself back, not wanting to hurt Xieren. Because Shizun was a gentle and considerate man.

The man before him was neither considerate nor gentle.

The man before him was an adult, seeking to protect what he saw as a helpless child. Liang Fei held nothing back as he bashed his opponents with his club, ignoring the sounds of cracking ribs and broken bones.

While his sword might be incapable of cutting, a blunt object will always break something.

Despite everything, the men still tried to get close to Xieren, reaching out to grab him only to have their wrist broken by Liang Fei. After a minute of fighting, the men were either on the floor or leaning on the far walls. They openly glared at Liang Fei, who stared back unflinchingly.

"How dare you get in our way." One man on the ground snapped, his fingers haltingly twitching in a strange way. Liang Fei was about to stop him but he continued to speak. "We won't allow anyone to ruin the ascension for us."

Ascension? Liang Fei blinked, openly confused. Had he made a mistake and attacked some strange religious group or something?

"My apologies but we are not interested in anything you wish to offer." He said, feeling a bit guilty for beating up some proselytizers. They were annoying but breaking their bones might have been a bit much.

Then again, they did attack first so it was clearly self-defense, right? Clearly, it must be so since Liang Fei had been minding his own business when they attacked. So there was no reason to be concerned about getting in trouble, right?

As Liang Fei considered whether or not he'd get arrested for assault or not, Xieren stepped forward. Seeing that his master was daydreaming again, he sought to finish the job, letting his magic bring forth flames in his hands.

His skills with fire magic have only gotten better with age. However, he never got a chance to strike before them men burst into smoke by themselves.

"This isn't over, half breed!" The last one hissed just as the smoke consumed him. Shivering, Xieren took a step back, feeling dread fill his gut.

Half breed?

It was an unfamiliar word but one that made him feel itchy and fearful. He took a step back, his heart racing as he felt the flow out of him. He was panicking, he knew it but he couldn't stop it. He felt heat lick at his toes, the walls closing in on him and could barely hear the sound of faint footsteps. It was closing in on him. Like something was going to get him and-

"Xieren!" The young man gasped, looking up at Liang Fei. "Xieren, I need you to breathe for me, okay? Just breath."

Ever obedient, Xieren released a breath, unaware he'd been holding it at all. He continued to inhale and exhale, seeking to work whatever tension that had gripped him before. He had no memory of being called a half breed. Yet he also had no memories from his younger days so perhaps...

"Are you alright?" Liang Fei pulled him close, resting a gentle hand on Xieren's cheek. The young man was still a little pale and it worried him. Even as he was panting, he looked shaken. The older man had no idea what could have possibly got him like this. Xieren was rarely if ever this pale.

Gold eyes stared up at him, surprised and wide. It took only a moment to realize why he looked that way. He was touching his face!

Last time I did that, he yelled at me. He thought, starting to pull his hand away. Before he could, the young man grabbed his hand and pressed it harder against his face.

"Big brother!" Xieren cried, his face a bit red.

Ah, right! He was Tankian right now. For a moment, he'd forgotten who he was at the time. He wasn't Shao Liang Fei, he was Tankian. He was a brother to the young man, so it was fine to be gentle.

This eased the older man's heart and his expression softened.

"I don't know what made you so concerned but you don't have to worry anymore." He assured Xieren, patting him on the back. "I'll keep you safe."

"Big brother~" Xieren pressed his face to Shizun's chest, needing to hide his face just then. If he saw how red he was just then, he might worry the child was going to explode or something. Not that he'd be wrong, since Xieren felt like his chest was going to burst forth.

I'll keep you safe.

It had been years since anyone had said those words to him. He'd been fending for himself for so long, wary of every smile as they often hid ill intentions. Even when he came off the streets, the threat still loomed over him.

Yet such simple words filled his chest with such warm and pleasant feelings, he didn't want to move. Having Shizun so close, his scent surrounding him and knowing that the man cared about him...

I don't want this moment to end.

Unfortunately, Liang Fei chose to allow time to forge ever forward. There were more pressing matters after all.

"Though I didn't realize people would speak in tongues to get converts here too." He muttered, almost to himself. When he was alive, there were strange folks like that too. "Strange how little things change."

"Tongues?" Xieren frowned, confused by his words.

"Those men, they started saying strange words," He replied, looking to where the men had disappeared. "though it honestly just sounded like gibberish to me."

"You... you didn't hear what they said?"

"I heard. You did as well, correct?" He retorted. "Them speaking nonsense?"

Shizun... didn't understand them? But they spoke so clearly, every word like a knife. Was he lying to make Xieren feel better? His expression revealed nothing, so it was hard to tell. A faint smile spread across his face, his anxiety easing at his master's kindness.

Liang Fei, meanwhile was trying to figure out what was going on. Why was Xieren here? Should he not be attending the summit?

"Xieren." He held the young man away by the shoulders, ignoring his pout. He would not get distracted by cuteness. "What are you doing here? Why were those men after you?"

"Ah." Xieren grimaced, looking away a bit guiltily. "About that..."

***

A week prior.

The morning Liang Fei left for his mission was a day many of his disciples would never forget. It was on that day that the students of the sect were given a cruel reminder.

Xieren was scary.

Upon arrival at the lunch hall, Xuejie could feel the room grow colder. It was dead silent and many of the disciples were doing everything they could to remain quiet, lest the beast behind them take notice of them.

Poor Xuejie, unaware of the danger lying in wait, strolled over to their usual table. Many of the tables around them were empty, most choosing to keep their distance. Some even tried to quietly warn Xuejie not to get too close yet the man continued on, oblivious to all the blatant signs.

They could only light a candle for him for he was already lost.

Despite this somber mood, Xuejie didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when he sat down. Xinyi was happily eating while Xieren was grumpily staring at his plate. He looked to be in a sour mood.

So nothing really new.

"So..." He started, feeling a bit weirded out by how quiet things were. "What are you guys planning on doing now that Shizun is away?"

Hands slammed on the table and Xieren was standing, glaring balefully at the table before storming off. Xinyi barely paid it any mind, still happily munching on her meal.

"What just-"

"Long story." She replied, smiling in a devious manner. "Would you like to hear it?"

***

Earlier that morning, before Xuejie could drag his lazy self from the bed, Xieren had woken up with a somewhat sour mood.

For the remainder of the day, Xinyue clung to his side like a leech, pestering him. He wasn't sure why she was doing this but found he couldn't really get rid of her. Not after she revealed her relationship with Shizun.

Ambition got the better of him and he chose to spend the day with her.

That was a huge mistake.

Xieren only wanted to learn more about Shizun, since the man so rarely spoke about himself. He was distant for the most part, leaving Xieren hungry for just a little more insight into who his master was.

Unfortunately, Xinyue wanted nothing more than to talk about other things. She told him all about herself and her lineage, boasting that any man who married her would be the envy of all.

All of this was completely worthless to him.

When she tried to learn more about him, he somehow managed to deflect long enough to escape, leaving him exhausted and annoyed. It was only after hiding in his room and thinking of Shizun that he felt relaxed enough to sleep.

As such, when arrived at the lunch hall only to be told there was no Red Pot Soup, his mood returned and he was annoyed. But not as annoyed as a certain pretty miss.

As he was listlessly eating his breakfast, a hand slammed onto the table. Xieren was shocked, to say the least when his eyes drifted upward to find a scowling Xinyi. His usually chipper sister was annoyed?

Before he could even open his mouth to ask 'why the dramatics?', Xinyi spoke.

"What's this about my family's Xieren finding fancy in some noble miss?" She demanded, placing her tray down very gently despite her clear annoyance. She might be livid but she would never take it out on her food. "Did we not agree to seek approval of our partners from each other?"

"Was that a thing we agreed to?" He retorted, feeling a bit more at ease after seeing his friend. "I must have forgotten. Or perhaps you are losing your senses in your old age, oh elder sister?" He teased, cocking a brow.

"Don't mock me!" She glowered, though upon taking her first bit, her anger cooled somewhat. "This big sister is too high for that."

"How can I not think about such things?" He shot back, amused by her slow change in attitude. This pretty miss was always happy as she ate. "You speak of me fancying some girl but who dares says such things?"

"Everyone is talking about it." She pointed to the room, that was, at the time, bustling with chatter and noise. "You wrestled some noble girl into your arms and told everyone that they were not allowed to touch a single hair on her head." She explained, holding out a bun like it was some kind of treasure. As if to make a point, she ruthlessly bit into it. "Honestly, it sounds so romantic and passionate when you put it like that-"

"That did not happen." His eyes narrowed, a subtle growl escaping his lips. It was drowned out by the noise.

"I figured since you are you but that's what everyone is talking about." She replied, nodding in understanding. "Mostly since that oh-so noble Miss didn't reject your 'claim'."

"Wait, everyone?" Xieren felt his chest clench as he came to realize what was said. "D-did Shizun also hear this rumor?!"

"Wasn't he present for the event?" Knowing this was coming, Xinyue spoke softly. "If so, I imagine he'd come to the same conclusion as everyone else." Xieren jumped from his seat, catching the attention of some of the people around them. Despite the looks, Xieren ignored them all.

"I-I have to talk to him, explain that wasn't the case." He cried, thinking of his master. Knowing him, he'd come to strange conclusions. He might even try and push him and that annoying woman together. "It isn't like that!"

Ever the diligent woman, Xinyi could see the thoughts flashing over her brother's face. She sighed. He was only ever this expressive when Elder Shao was involved. Must he be so obvious?

"Ah, sorry then. Shizun seems to have departed on his mission last night." She stated, knowing Xieren would get upset. "Master Zhihao mentioned it to me."

"S-Shizun left already...?" Xieren had known he was leaving but so soon? Why had he not told anyone? Why didn't Xinyi tell him?

"Master had mentioned it to me this morning so I only found out a little while ago." She explained, holding her hands up. "No need to get angry at me. I didn't tell Elder Shao to leave without a word."

At this, Xieren said nothing, falling back into his seat as he glared at the table. The once boisterous room slowly grew silent, instincts long ingrained into them telling them to be wary.

There was a beast nearby and it didn't wish to be disturbed.

The only one relaxed was Xinyi, was blissfully ate her food in peace, happy she wouldn't be having that annoying woman as an in-law.

***

"I didn't think you were the type to get jealous, A-yi." Xuejie sighed, a bit amazed by how brazen this girl was. To so casually say such things with little regard to the aftermath.

Wasn't Xinyi supposed to be the sweet and meek type? The girl who quietly stayed by Xieren's side and cheered him on?

"Jealous?" She snorted as if to further prove herself to be different than expectations. "Why would I get jealous? A-Ren is my brother, sweet and kind."

Sweet and kind? Xuejie thought back to all the Xieren's future endeavors, the bodies that piled up to the heavens and the vengeance he laid out. Curses so cruel that even the most detestable averted their eyes in horror.

The Xieren he'd read about was anything by 'sweet and kind'.

"Moreover, this young miss isn't the type to dirty her hands in someone else's garden." She finished, sipping her tea.

(A/N: Yay, more made up idioms)

Xuejie frowned, confused as to what she was talking about. Was Xieren interested in someone already so Xinyi hadn't even bothered to try? That would explain why they seemed less amorous than in the original story.

Watching from afar, one could only see two friends or at most, siblings bickering. Less charitable and more envious people would see, perhaps, something ambiguous.

"Ah, I understand now." He nodded, impressed by Xinyi's maturity. For her to be so accepting of someone she didn't like, what a good sister. "Bro is preferential to a certain someone! And so soon after my lessons on 'adult matters' too! How fortuitous"

Xinyi didn't understand what he meant by adult matters but seeing the sleazy look on his face, she knew better than to ask. If it was this guy, it was not something she needed or wanted to know.

Xuejie was off in his own world, reeling from this revelation. Was this what true joy felt like? The rapture of an OTP confirmation!?

Xieren was interested in Su Xinyue, his favorite love interest in the story!

This was a natural conclusion since he saw the two of them spending time together. Other than Xinyi, who else had the ever cold young man ever willingly spent time with. And a female no less.

Part of him had been concerned since he'd asked those strange questions before about men. His dear protagonist was a man of many tastes (he has quite the harem by the end of the story) but to have such a heavy taste would be...

Those who tried to pair him with men would have lost their minds had such a thing happened in the story. They begged the author to allow such a pairing since it was 'for the plot'. Everyone in the message boards turned a deaf ear to their pleas.

Yet things were still changing since he'd arrived.

Thinking it over, Xuejie wondered what other changes were bound to occur. So far, the changes hadn't derailed the plot, since things were as they were narrative-wise. Yet this was a key moment.

The Sunjin Conference was a turning point, where Xieren would take his next leap forward as the protagonist.

"Do you think bro will be alright to attend the conference?" He asked, curious about Xinyi's opinion. She knew this newish Xieren better than him. The original Xieren would have never allowed him this close.

"I doubt he'll even go." She flatly stated. If that person isn't there, why would he? She thought as she shared her food with Xuejie. Xieren might be fairly mature but he was very childish when it came to Elder Shao.

The conversation ended there, both youth's thoughts were hidden in their own heads as the room that was once silent slowly filled with chatter once more. The beast had departed, so it was safe to talk again.

Meanwhile, Xuejie couldn't help but admire the will of the plot. Despite all the changes it still forged on, making sure things went as they were supposed to. Minus a few detours.

Because if the story kept on going as it was supposed to, Xieren wouldn't be attending the conference at all. He'd be away with Shao Liang Fei on some sort of 'secret mission'.

And on this mission, neither would ever return.

***

Xieren was livid, wanting nothing more than to rush out and catch up with Shizun. It had only been a day and yet it felt like his heart was being pulled from his chest. For years, Shizun had remained in the sect, eager to teach and guide his students personally.

A stark contrast to his previous attitude.

Before, he'd only pay attention to those he saw as having potential, those he could easily spot as promising. Everyone else was left to the wayside.

If left like that, there would be a lot fewer disciples who were capable than there were now. Now there were more capable disciples than there wasn't. It made Liang Fei the pride of his sect, since he had more successful disciples than not.

Yet he'd left for the first time in four years, to do something outside. Some missions that needed him for some reason.

Why?! Xieren cursed, punching a wall. Why him of all the elders? Why take his master away! Bastards.

"Hey now, there's no need to break down my walls, young man." A voice called out, casual and smooth as water. Zhihao was leaning against the far wall, casually watching the fuming youth. "There's a perfectly working door just around the corner."

"Elder." He sighed, greeting him even though he wanted nothing more than to leave. He had no ill will toward the man but his ambiguous relationship with his master made him wary. Especially if he was apart of those adult matters Shizun had spoken of.

"Xieren, right?" He guessed, smirking at the grimacing young man. He'd rarely seen the child smile so it was no concern for him. "Haven't seen you in a while. Any reason you are attempting to break down my wall?"

"My apologies, Elder." Was all he said in response, leaving a heavy silence between them.

"I see." Zhihao pushed off the wall and walked over, soon towering over the young man. "I'm guessing Xiao Yi told you about Elder Shao's departure?" He watched Xieren as his face darkened and his fists clenched. "Right, well perhaps you can do me a favor?"

Xieren scowled, wary of the man's words,

"If I recall, the last 'favor' you asked of me involved sending a young man to a brothel." He recounted, folding his arms. While Shizun was the one who actually entered the brothel in his stead, he knew where he was supposed to go. "I should hope you wouldn't be so brazen to do this again?"

"To be fair, it was just an exchange of letters." He countered, shamelessly confident of his righteousness. He had no concern since the brothel wouldn't have touched Xieren, so he felt confident in sending him. That and no one would notice him. "Not to mention you managed to lose them."

Zhihao was livid when he learned his informant had disappeared from that town. Worse yet, he had no way of knowing what had happened to them. Did they die? Were they captured? There was no way of knowing and it left him without anything to report to his sworn brother.

It was a major hassle.

"That wasn't my fault." He retorted, his scowl deepening. He never met Zhihao's informant, only ever standing outside while Shizun spoke to them. He had no clue what had happened to them.

"No, it wasn't but its still bothersome." He sighed, resigned that the matter would ever be resolved, He could only hope they died without revealing his involvement. "More importantly, this favor is different. You'll be delivering a letter."

"Just send a carrier pigeon." He deadpanned, his tone now grossly dismissive.

"And have it intercepted? Not a chance." He retorted, watching the young man roll his eyes. How brazen! He sighed, he muttered to himself. "Moreover, I can't be sure where he is currently since he chose to take a carriage rather than fly there."

Xieren was a brazen youth, having spent a lot of time Elder Zhihao. His attitude toward the man was much more casual than with others, so he felt little pressure to be as deferential. As such, he bowed to the man and walked away, not wanting to deal with people just then.

He missed his Shizun.

"Ah, you are unwilling?" He called out, watching Xieren walk away. Despite the dismissal, he continued, making sure it was heard by him. "That's fine, I suppose I could just send someone else. I'm sure Elder Shao would much prefer another's company apart from such a sour-faced-"

As expected, those two words caught the boy's attention.

"Shizun!?" Xieren ran back, his eyes frantic. "The message is for Shizun?"

"Did I not mention that?" He said, looking off into the distance innocently. Despite his attempt, Xieren could feel his smirk beneath the surface. "My bad. But I suppose it doesn't matter either way. You are unwilling and this elder is not so cruel as to force someone to-"

"I'll do it!"

"Ah~ Young people are so hard to deal with." He sighed, attempting to sound aggrieved. "First it's no and then yes. How are we elders to manage?"

The desire to punch this man rose in Xieren's young heart but resisted. It was not easy though.

***

Xieren spent the next hour getting prepared for his trip, excited and eager. He'd been wanting an excuse to go and spend time with Shizun. He originally thought about just sneaking away but knew his master would scold him harshly for doing so.

The thought of an angry Shizun made him a bit excited. To see him master show his feelings just for him was... Ah~

Even as he rushed out, he made sure to leave a note for Xinyi, since he was sure she would be worried if he just disappeared. Unfortunately, she was attending a lesson so he left the note in her room.

Later on, someone would report about a figure sneaking out from the female quarters and a manhunt would ensue. Xinyi would quickly figure out what had occurred and cover for her brother claiming it was He Qiang. She'd heard he'd been ceaselessly harassing female disciples since arriving and had had enough of it.

Xieren left with an eager heart and a goal. To see Shizun and help him through his mission. He had no clue when he'd be back but as long as they were together, Xieren didn't mind.

The first two days were spent traveling, though it was difficult since he wasn't very well trained on flying on his sword. Despite being capable, Shizun had never truly taught them how. They could balance on it but flying itself, it seemed as if it was unfamiliar to the older man.

As such, despite how skilled all of Liang Fei's students were, none actually knew how to properly fly. Xieren, through hard work and determination, figured out how to rise and move forward on his own, at the very least.

His trouble came when it was time to stop.

He didn't know how to do that so he always ended up crashing into a tree. Had it not been for his fortified body, he'd have probably broken some bones by then. He was, however, fairly sore.

Resting in a tree, he was about to go to sleep when he heard some noise below him. At first, he chose to ignore it, thinking it was just a wandering animal. Then he heard a mild cry. Female.

Peeking through the branches, he spotted a group of cloaked figures surrounding a woman who was clinging to his tree. Even in the darkness, the tears on her face glistened as she quietly sobbed.

"P-please, let me-"

"Had you not run, you wouldn't need to suffer like this." One voice, a man interrupted, his tone flat and uncaring. Listening to him speak, it was as if he was speaking to an object, not worth any further consideration. Unsheathing a blade, he took a step forward. It was clear he was a cultivator but something about him felt off. "Now kindly come with us so that we may finish this."

As soon as the blade was brought out, the woman's sobs grew louder, each gasping breath tearing into Xieren's soul. Her pleadings for someone, anyone, to save her from this.

"Damn it." He grumbled to himself as he stood up. He might not like people in general but it was an entirely different thing to so heartless ignore a vulnerable person.

Down below, the woman helpless looked around, hoping to find something to defend herself with. Her leg had been injured in her escape, so running wasn't an option. Just as the man raised his blade, a flood of fire rained down.

Despite the heat, the flames never got any closer. Standing in front of the flames was a handsome young man, his back broad and noble. Relief filled her heart as she watched her savior standoff with her captors.

"You seek to interfere, child?" On of the figures snarled, clearly not wanting to deal with another cultivator. For that, Xieren was glad, since he wasn't sure what level these men were on. If they were too strong, he'd lose here.

"No, but I don't plan on letting you harm a mortal." He answered, drawing his own blade. "Cultivators are meant to protect them." That's what Shizun had said, comparing them to something called 'Police' or something. No one knew what they were but liked the feel of it.

Despite his desire to help, he somewhat regretted his decision afterward. Why? Because after that rescue, he spent the next several days being pursued by those same men. He could barely sleep since they always seemed to know where he was resting.

By the time he'd made it to the town Shizun was reported to be in, he was a sight to see. People looked away, not even the beggars looking as haggard as he. He'd only barely entered the square when the familiar scent of ash and blood grew near and was forced to run.

Just he was truly starting to panic, a familiar scent drifted by. A scent that was unique in all the world to only one person. Joy filled his heart and he pushed himself to run toward him. His pursuers in tow, he ran until he fell into his master's arms.

When he saw those violet eyes stare down at him, Xieren finally, after days of pursuit, felt safe.

***

"I'm sorry about all the trouble you've been through, Xieren." Liang Fei sighed after listening to his student's tale. Being chased around like that must have been scary. The desire to hug him erupted within him but he resisted.

"I'm just glad I found you." He replied, leaning against the wall. Exhaustion was weighing on him. His eyes were heavy and he wanted nothing more than to rest yet he forced himself awake long enough to tell his story.

He cut out most of it since he didn't want Shizun to know just how much he'd missed him. As such, he excluded everything but his task and him being pursued. Everything else, he could tell him later.

Yet Shizun being Shizun, failed to understand the situation completely.

"I agree. It's been many years since we last parted." He said, adjusting his mask to keep it in place. "I pray you have been well, young one."

(A/N: Just a reminder, LF's disguise is wearing a face mask covering the lower half of his face and changing his hairstyle.)

Xieren frowned, confused by his master's words. Years? Perhaps it had felt that way to Xieren but he was sure his master didn't feel the same way. So what was he...

It was only then that Xieren realized that all this time, Shizun truly believed he had fooled Xieren. That his secret escapade was still secret.

Before this point, Xieren hadn't really thought much about it. Since Shizun said nothing, he followed suit, yet he was sure he'd realize his secret had been revealed at least now. Surely he didn't think Xieren was that oblivious.

(A/N: Spoiler, he totally does think that.)

Liang Fei was a smart man but as was evident, his EQ was very low. Unless someone was blatant about something, he was bound to miss the clues and continue on with his own assumptions.

It was because of this flaw that he assumed no one had figured him out. Xieren was silent so he assumed his secret was safe. He had even found himself praising his skills of secrecy many times in these 4 years of living as Shao Liang Fei.

 He had even found himself praising his skills of secrecy many times in these 4 years of living as Shao Liang Fei

Had he known just how many people saw through him, he'd spit blood in anguish.

Xieren was amazed by this revelation. His master was, truly a simple man. He'd have to watch Shizun, to make no one took advantage of his trusting nature.

Save for him, of course.

"Yes, all has been well but I now seek to find my master." He said, going along with the ruse. He saw no need to reveal himself just then. "Perhaps big brother could help?"

Liang Fei, unaware his hoax had long since been unveiled, nodded with contentment.

"Of course, but you should rest first, you must be tired." He offered, still a bit concerned about how tired the boy looked. He'd wait until later to deal with the letter. First things first.

"Follow me."

Xieren felt so happy just then, knowing he'd get to spend time with Shizun. Even better, since he was also Tankian, so he could get spoiled a little. He knew Shizun adored things that were cute and had freely pet him before.

This meant only one thing.

Liang Fei had been walking leisurely when he felt someone embrace him from behind. His body froze, decades of training instinctive tensing in preparation to attack but he consciously kept that at bay. For he knew who had grabbed him.

The sharp claw-like fingers digging into his flesh were very familiar.

He looked back to see his student clinging to his back, his gold eyes staring up at him with pure adoration. He wanted to be mad about him somehow following him to town but how could he when he looked so cute?

"Are you alright?" Xieren pressed closer to Liang Fei, his single visible eye twinkling in the light of the setting sun.

"I'm tired."

"It won't be long until we arrive." He replied, turning away but being pulled back.

"I know but..." Xieren took a breath, nervous that he might be pushing too far. "Could you carry me?"

"Xieren, you aren't a child anymore." He stated, shaking his head at the young man. He was never this willful when they were at the sect.

"Yes but my body hurts and is exhausted." He complained, staring up at him pitifully. The sight made him think of a rejected puppy and his desire to pet him increased.

Damn it.

"...Fine, but only this once." He sighed, crouching down to allow the young man to climb onto his back. As expected, he was heavier than when he was a child but not unmanageable. "I don't want you to grow up to be egotistical."

"I won't, I promise." He breathed, snuggling closer. His breath brushed Liang Fei's neck and he shivered unconsciously. It was a strange feeling but he ignored it.

"Promise me what?" He pushed standing up tall. "To be selfish?"

"No! I promise I'll think of you as well." He offered, not really interested in others too much. He would help those in need, since doing nothing would make him worse than those harming them but his concern only went so far. For Shizun, however, he'd always consider his feelings.

"Include everyone else and I might just indulge you." He offered, not really thinking about the statement too deeply. Xieren was just a child, so why think too hard about it?

Xieren smiled into his neck, happy to hear those words.

"Then it's a promise..."

97