Eye for an Eye
4.2k 7 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite Xieren’s very vocal objections, he, Liang Fei and An Li spent the night at the town Inn. Apparently, An Li was a regular there and tended to bring his clients often. Hence why they got such an… interesting reception upon arriving.

“Ah, I see you are being quite adventurous tonight, Master Li.” The innkeeper, an older man who had grown numb to An Li’s profession. As long as he got his money and he didn’t lose business, he turned a blind eye to his actions. Yet tonight, this was interesting. “Is the young man a client as well? If so, I can’t say I expected you to have such a heavy taste in clients.”

“Oh no, this is purely social, I assure you.” An Li answered, not wanting to draw attention. Liang Fei with his… unique appearance already drew the gazes of some. The only reason no one was overtly looking was because a certain young man glaring hatefully at anyone who dared to meet his gaze.

And yet, through this all, Liang Fei remained oblivious to it all. His mind had drifted elsewhere, admiring the architecture of the inn. It was quite nice and the older man truly wished he could stay and admire the room more.

“Social, eh?” The innkeeper pushed, not truly believing that this person actually knew people outside his profession. “Then who is the kid?”

It was at that moment that Liang Fei chose to speak.

“Him? He’s my little brother.” He informed, recalling that he had ordered Xieren to pretend to be his little brother. Them being discovered as cultivators would complicate things. ”He’ll be joining us.”

Silence filled the room, confusing the older man who waited for a response. Why was everyone so quiet?

The implications of his words were clear to everyone in the room yet Liang Fei remained oblivious. Had he been listening to the conversation, he might have curbed his words just a bit.

That doesn’t help. An Li thought, covering his face with a hand. He inwardly groaned as he snatched the key to his room from the slack jawed innkeeper. The only benefit to his statement was that at the very least, this man had stopped talking.

Liang Fei dismissed the silence, not thinking much of it himself. People were strange so perhaps they were just busy. Must be. He concluded, following after the now troubled looking  An Li.

***

Upon arrival, Liang Fei turned to An Li, his demeanor relaxed but controlled. It was clear he was a man on a mission.

“You received my letter, correct?” He asked, walking to the table. Xieren followed after him, never very far from his master. This caught An Li’s eye.

“Yes, but…” He looked between the two, a bit unwilling to speak of such things in front of Xieren. “Is… is the little one staying with us?”

If one looked at the situation, it was clearly a strange one. While An Li had no issue sharing information with Liang Fei, to do so in the presence of a third party was a bit strange. Especially a young man, practically a child in the eyes of some.

The normal thing would be to send him away, since adult matters should only be discussed amongst adults. Thats what his original would have done, since sharing such top secret information was irresponsible.

But Liang Fei had thought of any of that. 

“Oh!” The older man muttered to himself. He’d honestly forgotten about Xieren tailing behind him. He was so quiet and obedient, he’d not even considered sending him away. “Uh…”

“Of course I am!” Xieren answered, sitting up straight and firm. He wasn’t as big as Shizun but he was still just a bit intimidating. “Shi- I mean, big brother told me to stay by his side so I'm not leaving!”

Hearing Shizun command him to stay by his side was the best news Xieren had received in a long time. It was what he wanted anyway so having it reciprocated was even better.

And it was a command too~ He shivered in delight.

An Li, seeing the smug expression on the child's face, couldn’t help but sigh.

“Ah, aren't you the obedient one.” He muttered, resting his chin on his palm. Looking at the duo, strange thoughts filled his mind.

“Of course!” He replied, his tone firm and confident. “Whatever big brother wants, I will provide.” 

“Eh?” Hearing this young man proclaim such a thing so sincerely was… strange, yes? Was he introducing himself to this elders parents? “Are you his brother or his husband?”

“Husband?” He echoed, his mind going blank at the word. He’d never thought about it but…

Marriage was something he’d have to do at some point, right?

Before his thoughts could venture any further, Liang Fei cut in.

“Please don’t say such things. Others might misunderstand.” He sighed, feeling greatly troubled by An Li’s careless words. Even as a joke, it was a bit much. “Besides, Xieren already has someone in his heart so he is sure to dedicate himself to them”

Xieren’s eyes fell onto the older man, fear of being discovered filling him to the brim. Did Shizun know about his feelings or perhaps…

Ah~ Knowing him, probably not.

An Li cocked a brow, his gaze drifting between the two.

“Does he even know how?” He asked, his implication clear. As if Xieren was too much of a wild animal to care for others.

“I know how to take care of people!” Xieren growled, finding more reason not to like this person. Not only does this person try and get close to his master but he also acts like the two of them were close.

“Oh? You know how to provide for your wife?” He challenged, brazenly coming closer. Xieren, feeling strangely pressured, leaned back. “In all ways?”

“Xiao Li! Don’t say such inappropriate things.” Liang Fei scolded, giving An Li a cold look. Xieren is young.”

“Not so young as to not know what I'm talking about.”

“Nonetheless, please refrain from imparting any… inappropriate knowledge.” He stated, huffing to himself. While he respected An Li’s occupational choice, he still wished to prevent his young disciple from learning the wrong things.

His pure hearted, young disciple was bound to learn more but some ways were not good!

Said Pure hearted disciple felt a bit embarrassed, since he suddenly recalled the things he’d done while thinking about his master. Things this person was more familiar with than him. Perhaps he even wished to do more than Xieren’s own imagination could fathom with his master?

In Xieren’s eyes, An Li was an enemy.

This was the second reason Xieren wished to stay with Shizun during his meeting. As a child, he had no clue what An Li did, since he cared nothing for those outside of Shizun. His annoyance at their constant touching was purely superficial.

Yet now that he understood what An Li was and his profession, he swore he’d keep them as far apart as possible. He wouldn’t let this person sink his claws into his Shizun.

An Li shivered, though he didn’t have to turn to see why. He knew who it was. The little beast sharing a table with them had started glaring at him again.

“About your letter,” He continued, wanting to get back on track. “I’m surprised you contacted me about this matter. What made you think I could help?”

“Didn’t you do so before?” He challenged.

“Yes and I almost died because of it.” He sulked, like his life hadn’t been in danger back then. Looking at him, one would think An Li was being wronged presently. 

“Your caretakers were careless.” He replied, watching the man closely. “I am not.”

“Oh, you know them, do you?”

“I’ve learned a lot about the world since our last meeting.” He replied vaguely. He didn’t wish to lie but neither could he reveal too much. An Li was a perceptive young man. “Today, I only wish to ask you for assistance.”

“Ah, I do have a debt to pay back, don’t I?” He noted, cocking a brow. “I’d hate for Brother Tankian to view me as ungrateful.”

Years prior, the last day he returned Xieren back to the sect, Liang Fei had discovered a plot against An Li. Someone had noticed the young man’s spywork and was seeking to end him before anything that was discovered was reported.

To protect him, Liang Fei gave An Li all the money he’d earned by that point and helped him to escape from the danger. It was purely out of concern and at the time, Liang Fei was unaware that An Li was even a spy.

It made things a bit awkward when he later learned that An Li was a spy for his own sect. Seeing how troubled his fellow elders were about it made him feel a bit guilty. Truly, how was he to know that his sect had spies?

It did make him feel relieved though, that he’d never revealed his true identity. Had the others found out that he not only set loose their spy but also snuck out when he was supposed to be in seclusion, he shudders to think how they’d react.

Despite all the trouble, Liang Fei kept in touch with An Li, exchanging letters through pigeons.

Xieren felt that the conversation was anything but interesting so he surveyed the room. As expected on such an establishment, the room was decadent yet tasteful bereft of the more common luxuries. An Li might be a newcomer compared to those who’d played the game longer than him, but the man knew how to present himself in the most advantageous way.

Beautiful yet humble. A prize to be won that hadn’t been won just yet. 

All this despite just how many had slept with the man and gifted him with treasures the world would covet a mere peek of. Yet he knew better than to show off. Customers didn’t like such arrogance. To brandish such things would ruin his image.

Yet brandish he did, when confronted by Liang Fei. How could he not? This man had saved him and given him this easy life.

Just then, an attendant arrived, carrying a tray of food. Turns out that despite the innkeepers doubts, he knew the trio would be hungry (and pay well), so he had prepared a large banquet. Liang Fei felt a bit troubled, since he was sure he wouldn’t be able to pay for all this but was assured that the matter was settled.

Despite everything though, he noticed how little his student was eating and immediately turned to him.

“Xieren, are you not eating?” He asked, watching the young man nibble at his food slowly. Xieren looked away, not wanting to look up.

“I-It’s fine.” He mumbled, feeling Shizun’s eyes on him. Part of him was really happy to have the mans attention. The spoiled side of him wanted to keep his attention thought that hadn’t been his original intention.

“You hadn’t finished eating before.” The older man noted, his eyes narrowing  as Xieren chewed at his chopsticks. “Eat.”

“Y-yes.”

Xieren took only slightly larger bites of food, being careful not to take too much. He’d learned long ago that he had a huge appetite, so he often had to have seconds or even fourths. Xinyi knew this and often tried to supply him with her extras, since she ate far less than him.

When he first noticed this, he felt ashamed for eating her meal. She’d assure him it was fine and that ‘a proper big sister makes sure her family is well-fed.’ He'd have reminded her that he was the older one but the gesture was sweet enough to make him cram his cheek full of food before he embarrassed himself.

Yet now he felt a bit less embarrassed and more confused at the situation in front of him now. He had been eating for a while now but his plate hadn’t gotten any smaller. Every time he took a bite, his plate remained the same.

It was only upon observing his plate as he ate that he saw why that was. His master, using his decades of skills in cultivation and martial arts, was repeatedly replacing the food on his plate.

All while remaining as calm and serene as a still pond. Even when An Li noticed the reduction in food, Liang Fei pretended to be eating, always found chewing even when there was nothing in his mouth.

“S-Shizun, I’m full.” He whispered as he watched the meal rapidly decrease in size.

“Full?” He shot back, his gaze landing on Xieren. “Don’t you eat more than this with Xinyi and Xueijie?”

“Y-you saw!?”

“How could I not?” He countered, drinking some tea. “Master Zhihao always talks about how much you eat, so I had to see”

That… that bastard had told Shizun about his eating habits!? While he was a bit happy the older man cared enough to observe him but still! He’d definitely get back at that old man when he got stronger.

Then again, he was also the reason he got to spend time with Shizun like this so… Perhaps he’d only lightly hit him. He couldn’t be ungrateful.

Elsewhere, Zhihao shivered, his eyes darting about the room as he felt something loom over him.

Was he getting old?

“Ah, Brother Tankian, you have to try this!” An Li reached over to remove a bottle from his pack. Xieren frowned, an unfamiliar smell emanating from the clay bottle. “A client of mine brought this from overseas for me. It’s delightful.”

“Wine?” Liang Fei watched as An Li offered the brew to him. The smell was one he hadn’t expected to find in this fantasy world. It had been years since he’d had a drop of liquor of any kind.

“Ah, so you’ve heard of it?” An Li a bit surprised, wanting to show off a little with his gift. Yet ever the quick one, he recovered fast. “Great. I’ve heard that it's good to have some while talking to friends. It's a matter of trust and since we’re exchanging such intimate details, I thought it appropriate.”

“If that is what you wish please do so.” He sighed, a bit troubled but not too much so. “But none for Xieren, he’s too young.”

“Ah, Bro is so protective.” He teased, leaning closer toward Liang Fei. Xieren growled, making the older man move back to his side. “Xieren is old enough surely.”

“Tea for him.” He stated, his tone firm and heavy. An Li and Xieren shivered at the tone, both a bit shocked to feel their hearts skip a beat upon hearing the words.

"O-of course, forgive me.” He served their drinks, wine for Liang Fei and Tea for Xieren. The two took a sip and the conversation continued on. Xieren was only half-listening, more interested in leaving so he and Shizun could spend time together, alone!

Yet something curious happened a few minutes into the conversation. Just as he was about to take another sip of his water, he heard it.

Tap Tap

Xieren stopped, his ears picking up the soft sound over his masters words.

“Anything you have found would be beneficial.”

“If you are fine with hearsay, then I might be able to help.”

Xieren frowned, wondering where the sound came from. The proximity pointed to Shizun but the man was not even looking at him. Such a thought made him feel frustrated, so he lifted the cup to his lips again.

Tap tap tata-tap

A-again, there was the sound! To mortals, it was nothing, something drowned out by the night’s ambient noise. To a cultivator, it would definitely be heard since they’re senses here heightened compared to mortals. To Xieren, however, it was much louder, drawing his attention like a beacon.

It was then that he inhaled, taking in a strange scent from his cup. He frowned, confused but hiding it well. He pretended to take a sip, trying to figure out why his cup of water now had a slightly acidic scent.

Did his water… turn to alcohol?!

Resting the cup on the table, Xieren tried to figure out how this happened. He was sure the cup Shizun was given was the one with alcohol and he had water. Yet…

Looking over, he noted how all the cups looked the same. Had his cup been switched? If so, it would have to have been Shizun. Xieren might get distracted when Shizun was close but not so much that An Li could switch cups.

But it still begged the question of why switch the cups?

Shizun had even made sure to warn him, tapping the table to keep him from drinking yet switched the cups to begin with. His words were smooth and light as he spoke, taking sips of Xieren’s water.  He was hiding the switch from An Li but not Xieren.

Why?

On this day, Xieren would remain ignorant of Liang Fei’s major weakness, one that even the man himself was mostly unaware of. At a later date, however, Xieren would master this weakness, using it to see a Liang Fei few had ever witnessed and fewer still could control.

On this day, however, Xieren would remain ignorant

Instead, his attention was on his master, so casual drinking from his cup as if there was nothing special about it. A cup where his lips had been on.

Xieren covered his face, his face, neck and even his ear burning red.

(A/N: Apparently, Xieren is a bit of a schoolgirl.)

Of course, Liang Fei hadn’t noticed this at all and continued talking with An Li. This left poor Xieren to be trapped in his own thoughts the next hour.

***

Ha, that went well! Liang Fei thought as he walked back to his shack. An Li had offered to let them stay the night but Liang Fei had to decline. For one thing, he had to remain unnoticed and exiting a high scale inn was bound to draw attention.

Not to mention that with the info he’d gathered from the man, he’d have to leave soon to catch up with the dark cultivators.

Liang Fei sighed, a bit relieved he’d bumped into An Li. While the circumstances weren’t the best, An Li had helped him quite a bit and save him a lot of time. Without him, he’d have to question everyone in town.

But now he had to go to some other town since there was apparently something going on over there. Which would take days.

His eyes fell onto Xieren, who had been strangely quiet for a while now. He knew Xieren was smart, so he remains silent during his and An Li’s conversation was just what he expected. Yet him being so quiet now was a bit unsettling.

“Xieren.” He called, his eyes forward. From the corner of his eye, he saw Xieren jump.

“Yes!” He replied, looking to have been in a daze. Liang Fei sighed, concerned for his flustered young disciple.

“For my mission, we’ll be leaving in the morning for another town.” 

“Right.”

“It will take a few days.” He further explained, expecting a protest.

He received none.

“I understand.”

“That’s… fine with you?” He asked, puzzled.

“It’s important, correct?”

“Yes.” Liang Fei wasn’t completely comfortable with the fantasy aspect of this world but understood enough to know that those who take the darker path often hurt others on the way. What few details that had trickled into the sect were enough to spur him into action.

He just hadn’t expected Xieren to be so willing to spend time with him.

Liang Fei was… confused, to say the least. While he’d wanted Xieren to act the part of his little brother to preserve his cover, he’d expected at least a little resistance. He still wasn’t sure how the young man saw through his flawless disguise but other than his earlier outburst, he seemed perfectly content to remain by his side.

Didn’t Xieren hate him?

Yet the young man seemed happy to remain by his side? Or was he just acting the part? No, they were alone now, so surely he’d be complaining about his ruse. No matter how much Liang Fei thought about it, he couldn’t figure this young man out.

He was generally adversarial with him when they were at the sect ground, constantly challenging him and insisting on getting strong enough to defeat him yet was docile outside the grounds. 

Perhaps he was beginning to see his master as a better person?

Such a thought made him happy inside.

They soon arrived back at his shack. The place was exactly as he’d left it. Their half finished meal was still on the table and their tea had long since cool. Liang Fei sighed.

“We’ll have to pack up the food.” He stated, turning to Xieren. “Perhaps we can salvage it for rations.”

They spent the next few minutes cleaning up and packing away food. Surprisingly, things were going swiftly. They had just finished their task when Liang Fei noticed Xieren furiously scratching his head.

Concerned he might hurt himself, he reached out to stop his hand. The young man turned to stare up at him. For a moment, there was silence as they stared at each other. Liang Fei then noticed on Xieren’s bang and reached out to brush it off.

Unbidden, the memory of his dream erupted from Xieren’s mind and his instincts had him pushing the older man away.

“Don’t!” He cried, scared he see forest green eyes when he looked up. Yet all he saw was Shizun regular violet ones. Liang Fei was a bit surprised by the sudden action but outward showed no response.

“My apologies.” He said, taking a step back. “I forgot.”

At that moment, a memory floating into both their minds. The last time Liang Fei tried to touch his face, Xieren had slapped his hand away. Despite the discourtesy of the action, Liang Fei had never brought it up. Looking back, the older man felt a bit bad for being so careless and informal with someone he’d only just met.

Xieren, at that moment, felt like kicking himself. Shizun had finally reached out to touch him and he’d ruined it!

“It’s fine. I just… my hair is a bit…” He’d wanted to say it was dirty, since he hadn’t had the chance to clean himself up since leaving the grounds. The thought of green eyes had faded back into his subconscious.

Yet Shizun beat him to it. 

“Your hair is a bit greasy.” Liang Fei noted, nodding sagely as Xieren flinched. 

“T-that can’t be helped!” He insisted, hating his master for pointing it out so bluntly. “I didn’t have time to wash it!”

“Its fine its fine.” Liang Fei waved it off, his tone light as air. “This master is not so cruel as to point out such a thing.”

And yet you just did. Xieren thought, pouting.

“But you must keep in mind, a healthy body is a strong body. Baths are important. You're a handsome young man but if you keep forgetting to groom yourself properly, what will you leave your admirers to partake in?” He proclaimed, as if he was one to talk. He was no expert on such matters. Liang Fei, when he was alive, was well-groomed but not to attract the eyes of females. No, he only wanted to look his best and show off his best. He wanted that for Xieren as well.

Yet the young man paid mind to only one thing.

“Shizun thinks I’m handsome?”

“It's not a matter of thinking you are.” He replied, unsure why that was the part he focused on. “Surely you’ve noticed all your admirers.”

“Shizun has them as well.” He grumbled back. It was another annoying thing he’d had to deal with back home. Shizun was too eye-catching, drawing everyone’s gaze without even having to do anything. 

Just catching him sitting by himself with a book in hand was enough to set most hearts thundering in their chests. His handsome face relaxed and focused on his reading, like a painting to be admired.

However, the man himself was unaware of this.

“I doubt that.” He replied, shaking his head. He had grown used to being in the background, overshadowed by more outgoing men. The thought he was like despite his introverted nature was so foreign, it never entered his mind.

“Still, I’m sorry for shoving you.” Xieren bowed low, wanting to show his sincerity.

“I’ve grown used to it.” The older man replied, truly not thinking much about the matter. He knew Xieren had a thing about his bang yet he chose to ignore that. This didn’t stop the younger man from feeling guilty.

“I’m sorry~” He groans, now feeling worse since his master was so understanding.

“No need to worry.” He assured, hesitating to touch Xieren’s shoulder. After a moment, he retracted his hand. “Still, I can’t help but get curious. I’ve never seen your full face.”

His words brought forth thoughts of green eyes Shizun and his disdainful black look. Fear nearly choked off his next words.

“I-I don’t want Shizun to hate me!”

“Eh? Have we not had this discussion before?” He retorted with furrowed brows. “I feel like we have.”

“That was years ago.”

“You believe my feelings have changed?” Liang Fei cocked a brow. “I’m not so capricious.”

Then why did Xieren feel such apprehension to show his eye to this man? Something visceral, instinctual, told him not to show him. His mind was at war with itself. Something small yet loud shouted that something wasn’t right and he should be wary. Yet a larger part wanted to show Shizun his eye.

Shizun was kind and honest. He hadn’t lied to him and even when he did, he was terrible at it. Searching those eyes, he saw no malice. The forest green eyes filled with disgust and rage were nowhere close to his.

That person wasn’t here.

“You… you promise not to get scared?” He asked, staring at the ground.

“Scared?” He echoed before coming to a conclusion. Liang Fei sighed and gave in to the urge to pet Xieren. “Ah, are you one of those kinds of young men? You are a bit too old to be having Eighth-grade syndrome. Then again, you have been hiding your face since long before so perhaps I only just now noticed. How shameful of me.”

(A/N: For those curious, he’s saying Xieren is a Chuunibyou: a term in the Japanese language used to describe a person who manifests delusional behavior, particularly thinking that one has special powers that no other person has. Not sure if China has an equivalent but here ya go.)

Listening to his words, Xieren was left confused yet his chest felt a bit lighter. Something told him that his master might have been making light of his concerns but he felt no malice. Perhaps this was masters way of easing his worries.

Preening from the head pat, Xieren relaxed and unconsciously moved closer.

“O-okay, I’ll show my face.” He mumbled, his cheeks red from embarrassment. “But only for Shizun.” Xieren felt no desire to show anyone else.

“If that is what you want to start with, that's fine but be sure to do the same for your beloved person as well.” He reminded his student, thinking he might be too shy to do so. 

Xieren shook his head, not saying anything.

I already am, he thought, brushing his hair aside. 

"Oh!" He couldn’t help but exclaim.

He wasn't sure what he was expecting but it certainly wasn't this.

Large eyes peered up at him, luminous and wet. That wasn't surprising. The color was what caught his attention. He had assumed both Xieren's eyes were gold but no, it was heterochromic. One was a brilliant gold but the hidden one was deep red. Separate, they were a sight to behold but together, it was like-

"A sunset."

"Huh?" Xieren blinked, not expecting such a response. Had he heard wrong?

"Your eyes, they remind me of a sunset." He repeated, staring deeply into Xieren's eyes, entranced by the colors. "You're eyes are beautiful.”

***

Liang Fei and Xieren were sleeping together.

No no, such phrasing was too ambiguous, yet Xieren was unopposed to the wording. He was still very happy about the evening. 

Shizun had seen his detestable red eye and called it beautiful.

He got a head pat~

He’d been given the chance to spend the night with Shizun, something he’d never been granted as a child.

Xieren was unsure which of the three was the best part of his evening. Choosing any of them to linger on filled his chest with butterflies and made his cheeks hurt from smiling so much. To make sure he was unseen, he covered his face with his covers.

(A/N: Seriously, Xieren had teenage girl instincts. He’s this close to squealing)

Liang Fei hadn't noticed any of this, because his sole focus was on falling asleep. It had been a long day and he wished to rest. Unfortunately, his roommate felt differently from him.

“Shizun?” Xieren whispers, peeking from beneath his sheets. “Shizun?”

“Yes?” He grumbled, forcing his eyes awake lest he fall back asleep. God knows what he’ll say while half asleep.

“Shizun, will you truly teach me how to spoil my wife?” He suddenly asked, recalling An Li’s words.

Liang Fei felt himself choke on nothing, feeling greatly troubled. He’d said those words purely to keep An Li from speaking. The advice of someone in his profession was vast but not the best starting point. Yet he had said he would…

“Perhaps after the mission is complete.” He said, hoping the matter would be done. He wasn’t someone who could teach such things but perhaps he could pick up a ‘birds and bees’ book somewhere along the way.

“Then you’ll teach me?” He pushed, wanting his master’s word.

Eh? Don't ask this old man such things! Liang Fei wasn't someone who enjoyed female company often enough to give advice. His actual relationships were so short lived, he wasn't even sure what he could have done wrong.

Not to mention his most extensive source of information was a sex-crazed man with a loose moral sense. Considering how many broken hearts he’d left in his wake, Liang Fei was reluctant to follow his advice.

Thinking of all the trouble that man had brought forth, Liang Fei simmered, outwardly calm but inwardly annoyed. 

So much trouble just because that guy couldn’t keep his dick in his pants.

“Xieren!” Liang Fei surprised the young man when he suddenly grabbed him by the shoulders. 

“Y-yes!?” He answered, a bit taken aback. His master was looking at him, his violet eyes as cold as ice and calm as still water. Yet in the depths, there was a resolve.

This was important. He concluded, readying himself for his master’s words.

Yet what he received was…

“Promise me you won’t be a troublemaker and play around.”

“Eh?”

“Girls are pretty and its fine to explore but don’t mislead others. Don’t make promises you don't intend to keep. I can’t stop you from partaking in any fruit but be mindful if they belong to others. It’s too troublesome if you pluck from another's garden…”

There was barely a breath between each word, let alone a sentence yet it was said with a passion that shocked Xieren. These words, they were from his master's heart and Xieren etched them into his own.

“I… I won’t.” He replied, feeling a bit light-headed. He didn’t quite understand all the words his master had used but his meaning was clear.

“Good.” He sighed, truly relieved. While he felt great affection for his friend, his way of living was tiring for those dragged alongside him. He didn’t want such a life for his little pure-hearted disciple. “As pleasant as one might assume a lifestyle as frivolous as that would be, it’s nothing but trouble for those around you.”

Who is dumb enough to think such a thing? Xieren thought, frowning. Despite his confusion, he still nodded obediently.

“Xieren will obey Shizun’s advice.”

97