Once, we were 13 years old
1.4k 11 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AN: This came about a bit later than anticipated but here ya go. I promise to not be late again~

*****

After the day Qin Rong returned to an empty house, life was different. As expected, being a child all alone in the world was hard but it was nothing new for the mercenary. In some ways, things never change regardless of the world one lives in.

One being, getting a job.

At first, he chose to sell whatever he could take from the house. While he wasn't happy about stealing from friends, he was sure it wouldn't be a problem. It's not like anyone else would expect to return to an abandoned house that still had valuables in it.

In other words, finders keepers.

The money he made and the lessons he'd received from that creepy elf guy made things a lot easier when it came to surviving on his own. His knowledge made him a lot more appealing than his less educated but older competition.

Yet such matters were never so simple.

While getting a job was somewhat easy, keeping one was where things got difficult. Why? Because apparently it was pretty damn obvious he was a fairy.

Qin Rong had no clue how people kept finding out about him but every time he thought he was in the clear, some bastard would try and kidnap him or collect stuff from him to sell.

And every time this happened, he had to kill the guy, making it pretty difficult to pick up his paycheck the next day. Which then led to him having to leave town and the cycle restarted.

Honestly, seeing his wanted poster in almost every town he went to would have been cool once but considering he was only 10 at the time, he felt it might be a little excessive to offer so much for a child. Did these folks not have anything better to do?

Still, it was becoming harder and harder to get by as time went on. One year turned into two and the bounty hunters after him didn't seem to be getting easier. If anything, his bounty kept growing to the point he began wondering if someone was fucking with him.

He'd only killed, like, five creeps. Why offer so much when there were literal monsters to hunt!?

The worst part of his notoriety was the fact he only learned about the adventurers guild after the fact, as they were the ones who usually hunted him down. He didn't bother killing them, as they were only doing their job but he was not going to make it easy for them.

He'd probably ended a few adventurer careers when he got too heated in a fight but such were the risks of the job.

On one such day, his life changed for the better and he had to thank his wanted poster for it.

He'd just turned 13, having been on the run for years and grown tired of running. While it was fun for a while, living like a rogue, being chased after was exhausting and troublesome.

Not to mention rough on his expenses.

The town he was resting in was abuzz with news that war was breaking out and the headstrong young men of the town were excited to join. It would be a chance to prove their strength and make a name for themselves.

That and get paid quite a bit if they accomplished something great.

Qin Rong had heard whispers of war but hadn't expected it to actually happen. It would make things both easier and harder.

On one hand, he could gain a lot of money as most young able-bodied men would be gone, clearing the job market. On the other hand, there might be folks who try to recruit him for the army. Qin Rong was first and foremost, a mercenary. He wasn't a soldier and refused to be.

Plus, with the war, there might be some leniency over some crimes so he could finally sleep in an inn without finding some creep hanging over him with a knife and his pants down.

These were the thoughts the teen held as he sat in a slummy bar in the bad part of town. He'd covered himself up so as not to draw attention but his height couldn't be missed. Especially as he sat on a barstool, his legs dangling quite a bit higher than the other.

The bartender, ever the professional, said nothing as he stepped up to him.

"What are ya havin'?"

"Give me something strong." He pressed a coin to the table, his eyes remaining on the table. "I need to take the edge off."

His voice was light and pleasant to the ear, gaining the interest of those around him. They were charmed by it but grew even more suspicious. Why was such a person in their bar?

The reason should be obvious and they could only come to one conclusion. The same reason most of them came. To keep from being caught by authorities.

This conclusion made Qin Rong even more of a centerpiece than just his small size.

All the while, the mercenary paid no mind to all the attention. It couldn't be helped and he refused to let it bother him unless he was in danger. Anything outside that was none of his concern.

The drink he was served was dark in color and smelled like it could peel paint from the fumes alone. It was just what he needed as he gulped it down in one go.

The smell burned his nose and felt like fire going down his throat but the feeling that followed made it all worth it. That fluffy buzzing that made the world's problems fade away with just a swallow.

"Are you sure you should be drinking like that?” A gruff voice said as a man sat down beside him. Even without peeking, Qin Rong knew the man towered over him. Despite this, his tone was curious and light. “You seem a bit young to be starting a habit like that.”

"Do I ask you why you go around talking to strangers like you know them?” He snapped back, tapping the bar to get a refill.

"I like to make conversation.”

"Plenty of folks you can converse with other than me.”

"I think you might be the most interesting partner.” He raised a hand, choosing to follow the mercenary’s lead and share a drink.

Seeing the two glasses, Qin Rong watched the man dump the fiery liquid down his throat and nearly cough a lung. Amused, Qin Rong did the same, smirking as he took it like a champ.

He wasn’t a heavy drinker but drinks were a hell of a blanket when the weather was bad.

“So why me?” He pressed, watching the man catch his breath. “Cause I'm young?”

The man turned to him and for the first time, Qin Rong saw the man’s eyes. Pale and empty, like a corpse. He shuddered, even as the man smiled back.

“That and you just drank the strongest shot in town like it was water.” He shot back, raising his empty glass. The mercenary stared for a moment before following suit and tapping his glass.

Not wanting to lose his senses, Qin Rong chose to order water after that. The stranger followed suit, ordering a hefty meal alongside it.

At his cocked brow, the stranger smiled.

“At least let me buy you some food.” He offered, taking a sip. “You look like you could use a meal or two.

And like the traitor it was, his stomach chose that exact moment to growl, not even letting him have the chance to deny it. He hadn’t eaten in a while but only had enough for drinks.

Why the hell was it that drinks were less expensive than food? How did that make sense!?

Qin Rong wished he had a stronger will but when he saw the sandwich and warm soup placed before him, he tossed it aside. Pride was fine but it didn’t fill one's stomach. He was halfway through the sandwich before he spoke.

“So what do you want from me?” Qin Rong demanded, swallowing down the sandwich. It wasn’t a good sandwich but it was food so he ate it with enthusiasm.

“Want?” The stranger echoed, his smile stiffening a bit.

“People don't just walk up to others, offering food without some kind of catch. So what do you want?”

“Not so much a want,” He stated, reaching into his pocket to pull out a roll of paper. “but an offer.”

“Oh?” Was he some kind of recruiter for the army? If so, why chose him as opposed to anyone else in the bar.

Qin Rong knew what he looked like to others. Poverty and malnutrition didn’t do any good for his growth. Comparing himself to other 13-year-olds he’d met, he looked like a child and it showed in how people treated him.

This also helped him, as it made people underestimate him, giving him a chance to counter whatever trap they’d set for him.

He couldn’t say for sure, but this guy might be another bounty hunter. He could only hope that wasn't the case.

“What's the offer then?” Qin Rong asked, curious. If it was a trap, he’d just have to deal with it then.

He really was too tired to run away.

The stranger smiled, his youth peeking from beneath his stubble and demeanor. This guy was clearly older but looking him over, Qin Rong didn’t think he was that much older.

“A means of making money and using your skills in a more productive field.”

“You know of my skills?”

“Who doesn't?” He chuckled, unfurling the roll of paper to reveal Qin Rong’s wanted poster. “It's not often one meets a fairy, let alone one with so many kills under his belt.”

Qin Rong clicked his tongue, cursing his luck to have been cornered by another damn bounty hunter. Couldn’t it have just been a trap he’d slip past later so he could at least finish eating?

Under his cloak, Qin Rong gripped the handle of his knife, thinking of when he should strike. If he killed this guy, the bar would erupt into chaos and his small frame should be able to slip out-

“I'd be more careful with the threats if I were you.” The stranger continued, casually drinking his water. “I'm not the only one here, after all.”

Qin Rong’s eyes narrowed, looking around the room. At some point, the room had grown quiet and there were a lot more eyes on him than before.

Turns out the stranger hadn’t come alone. Damn it.

As if sensing Qin Rong’s revelation, the stranger nodded and continued.

“So about that offer.”

***

Elsewhere, a long distance away from the solitary fairy, a castle that towered over the very mountains themselves stood, housing many souls. The most important souls to the kingdom, that ruled everything within its borders with loyalty and authority.

Within that castle, a servant, barely an adult himself, rushed through the halls. He had an important message to send and he feared which of the two he carried would condemn him when he delivered them.

“Your highness?” He called out before knocking on the door, his breath rushing past his lips. When given permission, the young man burst in, panting as he spoke. “Your highness, I have news about-”

“What is it?” The younger man within demanded, his voice cold and harsh like the winds of the highest mountains. “Did you find him?”

The servant flinched, wanting nothing more than to run out the door once more. How was he supposed to deal with this prince?

He had been told when he started serving Prince Xander, that the child was weak-willed and easy to bully. He had shared his desire to bully the noble, thinking him weak and unfavored.

Yet this child, upon his return to the castle, was anything but weak. It took only days for those who tried to bully the formerly neglected child to ‘mysteriously disappear’.

After that, no one dared question his rule. Years later, the servants still held their prince as a frightening person, none wishing to be in his presence longer than necessary.

The young servant now, however, had no choice as he had drawn the short stick on delivering bad news.

“U-uh…” He tired, shivering under the cold dark gaze of the prince. “About that…”

Xander was getting impatient. He raised a hand, feeling the magic flow through his veins and manifest as a cold breeze and swept through the room. As the temperature rapidly dropped, Xanders glare never faltered.

“Don't waste my time.” He snapped, watching the servant shiver. “Tell me what happened.”

The servant truly wanted to cry but held it in, his words scattered as the room got colder.

“I-in reply to his highness, the p-person you placed a bounty on has not been c-captured yet.”

Xander’s hand clenched, ending his spell and leaving the room as cool as winter. Even as his breath condensed in the air, the prince’s mind was fixated on the message.

Again. They still didn’t catch him! What useless people did he have?

“So why are you bothering me?” He shouted, jumping from his chair. “I told you-”

“You told him many things but you don't get to make a decision until you are worth something.”

Both young men flinched, their gazes falling upon the older man standing by the door. His lavish clothes and regal air made it clear who the man was. Without thought, the servant prostrated himself before his king, hoping he’d survive being stuck with the both of them

“Father.” Xander greeted, bowing his head. He truly didn’t know what to think about his father's sudden appearance but kept his expression calm.

“Oh, I'm your father, am I?” He replied mockingly, stepping past the servant to stare down his teenage son. “Yet you still refuse to show me any respect?”

“Father, I-” He started to defend himself but was quickly cut off.

“Don't bother wasting your breath. I don't need to hear your lies.”

“...” Xander couldn’t argue the point even if he could speak. Since his return to the castle, Xander had remained distant despite his father being the one to invite him back home. It couldn’t be helped though. It was because of this man that he had left behind the one place he could call home.

Seeing the teen obey, the king smiled with satisfaction.

“I've heard about your little hunting game.” He said, circling the young man. “How long has it been? A year? Three? And what have you come to show for it? Nothing but wasted time and resources.”

“It's not a waste!” Xander snapped back, clenching his fist.

“Oh?” The king mocked, leaning in close. “Then how come you haven't caught your little pet? Its been years and yet nothing but reports of failure. It's quite disappointing too.” He sighed, his gaze drifting to the wanted poster lying on the desk behind Xander. “Had you just come to me, I could-”

“Father,” Xander interjected, his tone calm and level despite him feeling anything but. “with all due respect, I refuse to allow you anywhere near him.”

“Oh?” The king huffed, cocking a brow at his son. “You presume you can allow me, the king and your father, to do anything? How amazing a son you turned out to be.” He said with a chuckle.

Xander flinched, realizing his mistake just seconds before he was pressed against his chair, his father's larger hands encircling his throat.

“A little prince born but slave blood presumes that my allowance to reside in my home means he has power. How amusing.”

Xander’s fingers twitch, suppressing the instinct to defend himself from his father. He would lose either way.

“Father, I-”

“Quiet.” He barked, his hands clenching over the teen's neck. “Don't make the mistake in thinking you are special just because I let you return home with your brother. Don’t take my mild kindness as an excuse to do as you please. You are my property, my subject, and my son, in that order. Are we clear?”

Xander glared down at the floor, suppressing his frustration as he spoke through gritted teeth. “Absolutely, Lord Father.”

“Good, then this little game of yours is done.” He stated, releasing the teen and walking back to the door. “You’ll have more pressing matters to attend to.”

Xander flinched, his gasps briefly halting as his father's words sunk in.

“What do you mean by that?” He asked, though he feared he already knew what was being said.

The king smiled serenely.

“There will be a war happening soon.” He stated, looking every part a noble king even as his son sat on the ground before him. “What kind of king would I be if I didn’t have a few of my own sons out there as well?”

***

The war was long and arduous, leaving many wounded or worse. Many villages were without adequate protection or workers, making them targets for the unscrupulous sort. Those ten years were harsh for some but a godsend for others.

One of those people would be Qin Rong himself.

He had thought his life could only get worse after being cornered at a bar all those years ago. Yet to his surprise, the offer being made was an actual offer, not a trap.

While Qin Rong wasn’t allowed to join the adventure guild due to his crimes, he could enter a mercenary guild. Apparently, their rules were a bit more lax.

He’d been recruited at the tender age of 13, with the condition that his bounty is removed from circulation. After all, how could he do jobs if he had to worry about some guy stabbing him in the back for a quick buck? Much to his surprise, the bounty had been called off soon after his acceptance into the guild.

He didn’t question it, feeling relieved to finally be able to live freely and work in a career he was comfortable with. Sure, cleaning out the bloodstains was a hassle but the pay was great.

On this fine morning, 23-year-old Qin Rong was using his legitimately earned money to get himself a treat. He had suffered many injustices since his rebirth but the one that haunted him throughout the nights was this one thing.

Not being able to eat any sweets.

He never was one to have a sweet tooth but to go without any was not a life worth living. So imagine his surprise when he learned that the town he and his men were resting at was famous for their sweetbreads.

Sinking his teeth into the warm, sweet bread was the best feeling ever~ He might have let loose a few unmanly sounds as he ate, drawing the attention of his subordinates and a few guests.

The men under his command knew better than to comment but the other customers had no filter and spoke their minds.

“A pretty wench like you shouldn’t be making sounds like that unless you have a good man to ride.” One guy called out, checking Qin Rong from head to toe.

Qin Rong had grown to be quite the beauty, much to his chagrin. Pale skin that never reddened under the harsh sun, long blue hair that made the sky envy its clarity and bright gold eyes to captivate. All in all, Qin Rong was someone to look upon and admire.

Until he opened his mouth.

“Who are you calling a wench, you fucking weirdo?!” He barked, jumping to his feet. The man flinched, quickly leaving before he got hurt. Qin Rong looked around the room, noticing a few others look his way. “Stop staring at my ass before I shove your heads up your own!”

All the ogling eyes looked away, feeling that the threat might not be just words.

Qin Rong’s men could only stay silent, knowing full well the threat wasn’t empty. They remembered the last guy who tried to grab their boss's ass.

They still remember the screams and shock everyone shared at just how flexible the human body could be.

At the table the mercenary had left, his companion chuckled to himself

“You do have a nice ass though.” He noted, an easy smile on his lips.”Why not share it with the world?”

“I don't wanna hear that shit from you, Shinigami!” Qin Rong snapped back, stomping back over to his table.

“Oi oi, call me Arthdal won't you?” Arthdal grumbled. “It's because of you I have such a weird nickname.”

Arthdal had been Qin Rong’s partner since he joined the mercenary guild. The two had grown close and bonded easily, especially after learning his partner was like him, having died and been reborn in this world.

But the jerk was too damn lucky, having earned a cool nickname due to his abilities and appearance. Lucky bastard.

“Oh, woe is you, having the codename like Death God.” Qin Rong mocked, slipping back into his chair. “Shall I sing you a melody to show my pity?”

“I just happened to have lucked out.” He assured, his smile returning. “Your codename... isn't so bad.”

In their guild, every member was given a codename to ensure their identity remained a secret. Only the high ranking members got to choose their codenames, which everyone else was assigned one based on their abilities.

Arthdal and the boss were apparently the same race, both having those creepy corpse-like eyes, so they were called Ghost and Shinigami. Since no one other than Arthdal and Qin Rong was able to speak Japanese, the bastard was allowed to have a cool name while claiming it meant ghosts.

Yet this bastard dared say Qin Rong’s codename wasn’t bad?!

“You dare say that, you otaku bastard?!” He snapped, slamming his hand down on the table. “Its all cause of-”

“Oi, Faery!”

Arthdal and Qin Rong turned toward the approaching man, the latter of the two scowling as he drew near.

“What?!” He grumbled, hating once again that his codename was such an embarrassing one. Very few members had their race be their codename as there were many of them. Since Qin Rong was the only faery in the guild, only he had such a name.

It was horrible.

His annoyance showed as the man stared him down and snorted.

“Whoa, no need to get all hissy, babe.” Everyone knew how Qin Rong felt about his name and loved taking their little acts of vengeance by calling him that often.

Many learned not to press the matter further. This man, too, quickly learned what not to say when he found himself suddenly falling forward, his legs swept from under him by the ‘babe’ in question. His face was slammed into the table, a sickening crack echoing through the room as his nose broke on impact.

Yet let it be known that this man wasn’t weak, as he barely cried out as he fell onto his knees, clutching his face. His mind was still focused on the pain and shock at suddenly fallen when Qin Rong grabbed the man by the hair and tugged his head back so they were face to face

“Call me babe again,” The Fae said with a level yet scary tone. “and I'll be decorating your throat with your teeth. Understood?”

“S-sorry.” He said, blood and snot flowing freely as he spoke. “Won't happen again, boss.”

“Better not.” He said, letting the man go. With his authority as the leader of their group maintained, he sat back. “Now what do you want?”

“Ghost says he has another mission for us.”

Ghost was the head of the mercenary guild, having recruited Qin Rong years ago. While Qin Rong had raised in the ranks enough to lead his own group, his boss was and always would be Ghost. So if he had a mission, the only answer would have to be yes.

How troublesome.

With a sigh, Qin Rong stood and walked out, ignoring the looks he got as he left. Even after his shouts and beatings, most couldn’t help but admire the Fae, realizing just why they were sought after.

It was because of this inconvenient part of his nature that he chose to wear a mask most of the day. Otherwise, his usually capable men would be distracted and generally useless. Which would then lead to botched missions and Qin Rong being scolded for it.

It wasn't Qin Rong's fault though. His features leaned way more toward pretty than handsome. Put the man in a dress (and soon die afterward) and he'd be toppling nations down with his beauty.

All of this was to the man's dismay.

Like, take his hair for example. It's not like the merc wanted to resemble some wuxia novel character but there was no way around it. He had learned years into this new life that fae hair couldn't be cut outside of the use of magic or the faery's death.

How many times had he woken up to some weirdo trying to gut him just to sell a few of his cerulean locks? Way too many times, if you asked him.

So now Qin Rong was forced to tie up his hair into a ponytail, just so he could go about his day. But that alongside his delicate features and his relatively short stature made him a target of men often.

It couldn't be women fawning over him!? No, it had to be dudes! That just wasn't fair.

Once he secured his mask, he left the shop to meet with his leader. He could only hope the mission was a well-paying one.

***

Ask and ye shall receive.

Qin Rong was practically shaking with excitement. He hadn’t expected such an easy mission to pay so well.

How lucky!

His task was simple. Rob a caravan of a certain item. The guards would be heavy since one of the country’s princes would be traveling with them but it shouldn’t be an issue.

Considering the rumors he’d heard about the princes, he figured this one would be easy pickings. Most of the princes were pretty much worthless, drowning themselves in opulence and indulgences.

As such, the guards usually weren't too enthusiastic about defending the princes when tasked with protection. Qin Rong had personally met former guards who stated as much. How they’d rather just let the place get robbed than spend and another minute listening to some slob complain and whine.

Qin Rong felt little guilt for his profession, having done much worse before his death. To him, this was a job. It couldn’t be helped if his paycheck relied on someone else's misery sometimes.

Surveying the area, he was a little surprised to see how tight-knit the soldiers stationed around the caravan were. They were all friendly with one another but strict, leaving little spaces for Qin Rong to slip in. He had been expecting more lax security but after hours of surveillance, he came to realize things might not be that easy.

“I’m starting to see why the client is offering so much upfront.” He muttered to himself as he observed the camp. Every once in a while, a guard would enter one of the tents and leave with a handful of papers, only to return with said papers later.

That must be the place where they store their documents. It was also Qin Rong’s target, his task to retrieve some documents. He wasn’t sure what it was but he didn’t need to know. He just needed to know what it looked like.

Curiously, there seemed to be a nicely dressed guy staying in the tent as well, his bright blue hood standing out among all the dull gray surrounding him. He might be a guard or just a scholar but he was mostly just an obstacle.

“Xiao Dao!” He called, his little yellow bird landing on the branch beside him. It chirped in response. “Go observe that hooded guy. Let me know when he leaves, how often, and how long.”

[Chirp] The bird flew off, its small form slipping past the guard observant gazes. To them, it was just a bird. Too small to eat and therefore, not worth their concern.

“Xiao Ti.” He called, his recent Sodalis being a large murky-blue bird. It came to him, landing on his leg. “You get the tough job. I need you to distract the guards. Cause a bit of chaos but only enough to give me time to sneak in, got it?”

{Caw}

Qin Rong pet the bird, waiting for Xiao Dao to return so he could make a plan. It would be best to rob them at night, to allow him to sneak in and out without a hassle. Usually, he could manage it during the day but seeing the security, he knew that wouldn’t be possible.

He looked over the camp, his eyes landing on a certain tent with a flag flying above it. He wasn’t sure what it was about it that made him stare. Perhaps it was the flag. It was bright gold with a pair of tattered white wings on top of a red sun. The image was striking, reminding the fae a bit of the past.

Namely, the day his own wings were torn.

He shuddered, remembering the pain that followed him afterward. It had taken him months to feel better afterward and even then, he felt scared to try and fly again. Every time, he felt scared that a pair of hands would grab hold of them again and…

Xiao Ti let out a cooing sound, rubbing its soft head against Qin Rong’s fingers. The mercenary smiled at the creature's attempt at comforting.

“I’m fine.” He assured it, stroking its feathered body gently.

It was an unreasonable fear, he realized. He was much stronger now, no longer a helpless child that could be lifted with one hand.

He could feel his wings like they were itching under his skin. He could fly if he wanted to. Fly anywhere.

It just wasn’t going to be today.

***

Night fell and Qin Rong was ready to infiltrate the base. Xiao Dao had made sure to observe the target tent and the guards around it. There was a small area small enough to be passed over by guards that he could use to sneak in. Not to mention the guards somewhat manic shift changes.

All in all, it meant that Qin Rong only had a very small window to slip in, retrieve the item and sneak back out unseen.

Having this all told to him by his bird felt like it should have been surreal but he stopped being shocked by things like this long ago. His Sodalis’ chirps sometimes could be understood by Qin Rong if he focused hard enough.

But really only sometimes.

After hearing the explanation from Xiao Dao, Qin Rong briefly wondered once again which prince was supposed to be housed here. Most of the princes were rumored to be worthless with guards that matched. This guy however had such tight security, Qin Rong actually felt challenged.

It was a bit exciting!

His heart racing, Qin Rong sent Xiao Ti off to distract the front gate. As the bird flew, Qin Rong raced to his position, his body hidden by the dense forest surrounding the campsite.

From below, Qin Rong could see his bird soar overhead, its underside gleaming with red and violet feathers that captivated the eye. The guards at the gate were no exception, their attention focused on the bird.

Yellow sparks burst from Xiao Ti’s tail feathers, cascading down like snow. The light show drew many eyes, each of them marveling at the sight of a Furie bird in person. All up until its sparks ignited a nearby cart, the sun-dried wood bursting into beautiful gold flames.

Panic ensued, as the guard sought to scare the sacred bird away while others struggled to put out the flames.

Qin Rong took the opportunity to sneak into the camp, his footsteps light and swift. Even with the distraction though, the guards within stayed vigilant, giving the mercenary only a few seconds to move from place to place.

After the fifth close call, Qin Rong almost wanted to cry.

His job shouldn’t be filled with this much stress. He felt like he was staring in a horror movie, just waiting for the inevitable jump scare.

Ah, the things he does for money~

While all the tents looked the same from ground level, he kept his ear open for Xiao Dao, knowing it would still be near the target tent. Upon finding it, he slipped into the small space, for once thankful for his small size.

Unfortunately, the tent was still occupied. Since he was pretty well hidden, he chose to listen in, curious about the blue hooded man.

“- not tell you to leave me be!” A young man’s voice echoed through the tent, annoyance evident in his voice. “I don’t have time to entertain wastrels.”

It was clear this guy was being bothered by someone’s presence but the person was too far away to hear him clearly. After a minute, the second person spoke, sounding closer now.

“Your highness, the 8th and 4th prince have need of you.”

The first voice, apparently some kind of royal, snorted at that. “8th brother wouldn’t call for me.” He stated, his footsteps drawing closer to where Qin Rong was. The mercenary moved away a bit. “So what does 4th elder brother wish from me?”

“Sire, I-”

“Will be hurt quite badly by me if you chose to lie to me.” He interjected, the smirk on his face practically dripping off his words. Qin Rong never thought one could hear a smirk but apparently you could.

Silence fell between the two, worrying Qin Rong as he really needed to get that document and escape fast. Just as he was about to cut a hole into the tarp, the voices came back.

“I… don’t wish to make an enemy of the Prince of Shades.” The second voice mumbled, now sounding much more nervous. While he couldn't hear anything happening, Qin Rong sensed they weren’t just having a conversation anymore.

More importantly, who the hell was this prince of shades? And why hadn’t he heard of them before this? All 14 princes were pretty well known, though a couple were curiously absent from the rumor mills. Most wrote it up as them not doing anything but Qin Rong was starting to wonder if that really was the case.

This Prince of Shades guy might be the reason security is so tight. How troublesome.

Something seemed to have occurred while he was distracted because he could now hear sounds of a struggle as well a loud thud.

Someone had won the fight.

And that someone was the Shade guy, his voice calling out to the guards outside the tent.

“Get rid of this, will you.” He ordered, sounding bored. “Make sure it looks like an accident, will you, Derrick?”

Derrick, it seemed, wasn’t too pleased about the matter, as he seemed to grumble about something.

“He ‘accidentally’ snapped his own neck?” He stated, his tone dry and level, like this was just an everyday occurrence.

“People can be so clumsy sometimes.” He proclaimed, his tone an audible hand wave. Qin Rong had never heard such an expressive voice before.

After a moment of silence, the person sighed. “As you wish, sire.”

The corpse was moved, leaving the shade guy by himself.

“Gods, I hate this.” The Shade guy groused, the sound of a chair strapping against the gravel echoing. “If 4th elder brother finds out I killed another one of his guys, I might have to deal with him myself. Ugh, I don’t want to stage another assassination attempt. It’s annoying~”

Qin Rong flinched, his finger clenching around his knife.

It wasn’t the man’s words that had Qin Rong rooted to the spot. He had heard all kinds of things coming from the most unlikely of sources since he joined the guild. Heck, he wasn’t even surprised that the guy was saying it out loud for anyone to hear. There were some really stupid people in the world. Many of whom Qin Rong had killed himself.

No, it was none of that that made Qin Rong’s blood run cold as he cut a hole into the tarp.

It was the fact that the words spoken were in Mandarin.

*****

Extra:

Author: So Arthdal, was the name, right? Can I call you Artie?

Arthdal: If you don't want to see your next sunrise, you can.

Author: Right... So, Arthdal eh? That's an interesting name.

Arthdal: Wasn't it just the name of some drama you found on Netflix or something?

Author: Yes, and it was awesome, damn it. So you better live up to the grand name I gave you.

Arthdal: If you're asking me, you might not be doing your job right.

43