Chapter 1
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Beneath a moonless starry sky, the wheels rattle as it rolls on the ground filled with rocks and earth. Her buttocks bounce and rub on the wooden seat inside the coach. As uncomfortable, the ride is as comfortable the cold breeze is caressing her skin and clothes.
 
“The Empire is already at the distance, folks!” the coachman announces.
 
Along with the two passengers sitting across her, she leans to see a couple of towers standing beside the vast gates of the sky-high walls before them.
 
The fatigue she felt in the entire day of sitting in the same seat, except during meals, is gradually alleviating.
 
Before the gates were five other coaches forming an entrance line.
 
Every individual coming in and out of the Empire go through an extensive investigation. To enter, you need to have the original Approved Application For Entry while to exit you need the original Approved Application For Exit. Obtaining both of these documents takes half a year if you are an Aldean and a year or two for those who are not.
 
This makes the Empire the safest place to live in and establish businesses.
 
As they arrived before the gates, they were the sixth coach to be in the line. The three men step out from the coach to ease their sore buttocks and legs.
 
“Oh, finally!” Says the man who steps out last.
 
“We're still a long way for entrance, though.” She could hear them talking outside.
 
Three women ease up on their seats with a more relaxed complexion. The exhaustion from the travel is evident on their faces.
 
“Hey, Rein,” the young woman sitting beside the woman across her calls. “What do you think of this?” she shows her sketch of Rein.
 
The ragged parchment displays the hasty works of the charcoal. However, it represents the concise depiction of Rein looking out from the coach. The intricate lines that are drawn express the eloquence of the sketch while the realistic values present show the dexterity of the young woman with her hands.
 
Rein smiles. “I don't know which of them is really better.” The sketch was the tenth piece the young woman did throughout their travel. Her works never cease to amaze Rein however she was not an artist. To distinguish which of her sketches is better is not her forte.
 
“Come on. You always say that.” The young woman scans her sketch trying to spot her mistakes and their differences from the previous pieces. “Isn't it much better than the other ones?” With such gleaming eyes, she shows her sketch to Rein again.
 
“Maxine, no matter how I look at it, every sketch you do is always wonderful.” This is not the peak of Maxine's persistence though, but Rein is still annoyed.
 
Maxine makes a long face and puts down the parchment.
 
“Aren't they all beautiful?” Rein asks.
 
Disappointed for not hearing what she wants, Maxine sighs looking at her sketch. She picks up her charcoal stick and continues to enhance her piece whatever she sees fit.
 
Maxine had been Rein's friend for as long as she can remember. They have always been together since they were children. While Maxine is into painting, she is into food. Such difference never separated them, though. However, they do not consider themselves as best of friends, they are more like the closest of friends.
 
Now, as they enter the Empire, they will part ways to lead where life brings them.
 

The coach suddenly moves closer to the gates. As Rein glances outside, she sees another coach before them and a carriage behind. The walls of the Empire cover up half of the skies in her vision.

“The Entry Guard is here, folks! You'd better get your butts out here.” The coachman announces.

Rein steps out, followed by the other seven passengers, to see a couple of Entry Guards standing beside the coach. The other Entry Guard finished talking with the coachman and enters the coach for examination. At the same time, Rein and the others fall in line before the Entry Guard. On his left arm, he is holding a magic tool having a magic orb above a tablet. It is supposed to verify the legitimacy of the contents on every entry and exit of approval.

That looks heavy, she thought.

When her turn came, she hands her entry of approval. While the Entry Guard slips the parchment on the tablet, a couple of rays of light appears from the orb scanning. As soon as the rays disappeared, the Entry Guard gives the parchment back to her and she walks back to the coach.

Maxine is already inside the coach as she sits. “Their job looked tiring,” Rein says.

“Yeah. Imagine bringing that stuff half of the day.” Two women walk inside and sit back in their seats. “But, that orb was interesting.”

“That was my first time seeing magic on the act.”

“The Empire is filled with magi, girls. You'll get tired of seeing them in the streets almost every day.” The woman across Rein responds in their conversation.

The men get back in the coach. “All of them are wearing their military uniforms, though. And you can't see them doing magic unless there's trouble.”

“Oh, I see.” Maxine looks mesmerized upon hearing them.

As the last woman came in and sits beside Rein, the coachman propels the horses into the gates.

To even enhance the security of the Empire, magi built wide cage magic around the walls to disapprove of anyone who is considered a threat to the Empire. They will be pushed away from the cage magic even with their verified entry of approval.

People said passing the cage feels like being warped into the Empire. However, for Rein, she feels a strange painless excoriation on her skin. Afterward, she grows pale and feels vomiting but suppresses it to avoid disturbance.

The coachman maneuvers the coach into the coach parkade near the gates. Rein gets her suitcase and leaves the coach while the other passengers walk in their ways.

“Rein, are you alright?” Maxine asks. She had noticed her face paling on the entrance.

“Oh, yes, yes. I am.” She was still out of her senses upon entering. “Maybe I'm just sleepy.”

“Tell me if there's something wrong.” Maxine hands all of the sketches she did to Rein. “We'll write letters. I'll definitely write back no matter what.”

“Okay, thanks. I'm fine.” She slips the parchments into her suitcase.

With a worried look, Maxine steps back. Her flaxen curls shine underneath a streetlamp. The rouge corset on the peach frock shows her delicate curves. “I'll be off, then.”

“Bye.” As Maxine walks further into the street, Rein turns right into the main street.

This was Prayne, the main street of Suden which was the southern district of the Empire, where businesses from smaller to bigger arise. As it is getting late, there are hardly any people walking in the street. Few windows on her way are lit while most of the windows are dark.

Rein hears a nearing clamor. Cheers and laughs flood in the street as she arrives before the ajar door of a tavern. Some men are dining and some men are drinking brews while women are serving food and beverages to the tables.

“Would you like an order, young girl?” a woman bringing a tray full of leftover dishes suddenly invites her in.

“Oh, no, thank you.” The energy in the place overwhelms Rein making her walk away. She is too exhausted to be enthusiastic. A cozy bed is what her body asks at the moment.

She turns left into the next block. Rein had never been in the Empire. Knowing where to go was all thanks to the owner of the place she bought. They were kind enough to give her directions.

Rein is the sixth person to walk in Trayl, the street next to Prayne. As she looks at the young lady walking on her way, she is enthralled by her emerald eyes and fine chin-length silver hair.

When the young lady passes beside Rein, her purple frock moves in harmony with her steps. To think such a gorgeous face exists, she thought.

Rein finds the building and arrives before its doors. She feels anxious and excited as she imagines the opening of her restaurant in the next two days.

* * *

“These are the finest green rooibos leaves you can find in the Empire. Or would you rather prefer earl grey or hibiscus?” The auburn coils of her hair touch the ivory wooden table as her delicate rosy hand places the golden saucer with a teacup like a fluid before Rein. She could see the cup reflecting on her hazel eyes.

“No, I'm fine. Every tea has its unique taste and I love them all.”

The lady proceeds to put another teacup and saucer across Rein. As she sits on the dyed velvet cabriole, Rein takes a sip on the tea looking at the oil painting of a lake before her.

“How'd you like the picture?” the lady notices her eyes on the painting.

“I actually don't quite get artistic values in any sort of painting.” Rein puts the cup back on the table. “But I know when something is beautiful.”

“The day after you came here last full moon, the sunset painting was sold to an aristocrat to celebrate his parent's birthday.” The five strange pots on the cabinet standing beneath the paint are still as weird as the first day Rein saw them. “The following day this one finished. This was supposed to go at the foyer, though.” The lady sips her tea and puts it back on the table. “So, how are the people I sent?”

“As of this morning, they are punctual. They actually do their jobs as they're told to. And the cooks can do my recipes.” Rein rubs her thumb on the teacup ear. “I don't know if they'll last, though. You can seldom find servants who are willing to take orders from someone younger and who's not even an aristocrat.”

“Well, in case it does, I'm here to help.”

Suddenly, someone knocks on the door. A man bringing a parchment opens the door. “Here it is, Lady Veronica.” The man places it on the table and stands beside them.

Veronica slides the parchment beside Rein's cup. “If there're changes you want to make, we'll do that.”

The neat parchment before Rein highlights 'Ambrosia' and its signature line. Their services and menu are elaborated finely on the front area while the back area shows the directions and mailing address of the establishment.

“I think it's good. I'd like to take this as is.” It was done according to what she had said.

As Rein finishes her tea, the man suggests as he picks the cup and saucer, “Would you like seconds, Madam?”

“Oh. No, thank you. I'm good.”

Veronica takes the parchment and hands it to the man. “We'll deliver half of the leaflets we've made to you immediately. And, as promised, we'll distribute the remaining half tomorrow and put up posters on the billboards. Is there anything of your concern?”

“Regarding the menu. When will it be delivered?”

“Oh, right.” Veronica looks at the man and speaks to him. “Include the menu with the leaflets.”

“Understood, Lady Veronica.”

“Okay. Then, I think I should be leaving.” Along with Rein's poise preparing to stand, Veronica gradually gets on her feet to accompany her.

“In the next two weeks, Lumere Festival will start. How'd you like to take part in the celebration?” The man opens the door as Veronica and Rein step out of the room.

Lumere Festival is the celebration of Lumere, the god of harvest and arts. Every year the entire Aldea celebrates this however only the Empire's celebration lasts for three days. The Merchant's Guild holds competitions of the healthiest and biggest vegetables harvested in the farms of the Empire before the day of the festival. They also have competitions available for every restaurant in Suden which will take place at Prayne Park.

Several other events such as the Silent Theater and Operas will also take place for the entire three days.

“Entering in the competition would do something for our reputation, though.”

Veronica holds the wooden rails as they walk downstairs. “Yes. And, both of the Silent Theater and Opera companies here are actually asking me if you could take part in their performance.”

Rein laughs. “Do they really know me that much?” In the past, Rein had refused the three theater companies who offered her a spot as a musician.

“Don't kid. Most of the performing artists in Aldea know you.” The smile on Veronica's face widened. “There's only one non-aristocrat who can play any instrument like an aristocrat or even more than an aristocrat. Who knows, you're young.”

“Oh. No, no. I want to run a restaurant.” They arrive at the vast foyer of the Suden Merchant's Guild. An elegant oil portrait of Veronica is displayed on the wall across the doors. Her upturned nose and gentle expression are even more emphasized while the grandiose of her fine frock and jewelry indicates her elegance.

Veronica notices Rein taking a glance at her portrait. “Oh, you know the daughter of the cousins of the Gruents, right? What was her name again?” Her face looks puzzled as she tries to recall the name.

“Maxine.”

“Yes, yes. Maxine. Her portraits are the best. She's quite famous with the young female aristocrats here. I heard she's marrying the duke's heir.”

“Yes. Right after the Lumere Festival.”

“And that's why I definitely wanted her to do my portrait before it happens.” As Veronica opens the other door, light flushes on the floor. “So, would you take it? It's only for the festival, Rein.”

Rein smiles. “I'll let you know when I decide.”

As Veronica sets her off, Rein walks back to her restaurant. She thought of Maxine and remembers to write a letter for her.

“Hey! Hey!” Rein hears a familiar man's voice coming at her. A tall young man suddenly appears before her. On his back is a basket full of potatoes. “Ah fun ye.”

“Oh. Is there something I can help you, Sir?” Rein sneers at him.

“Dinnae ca' me 'Ser', Missus ,” his sudden Traviunian speech surprises Rein. “Keek 'ere, we git quality neep. Tis cheep tae.” He puts the basket of potatoes on the brick road.

“Ah awreedy tellt ye,” all of a sudden Rein breaks off to Traviunian. She clears her throat and continues to speak, “I already told you. We get our vegetables from the Merchant's Guild.”

“Whit? Merchants dinnae git neep fae us.”

“That's what I was saying.”

“Whit, jobby. Ye gonnae dae guid tae yer fellar, Rein.” He looks disappointed and puts the basket back.

“I'll do you a favor when the time comes, Jade.” She taps his shoulder and he continues on his way.

Jade was a fellow Traviunian. They didn't grow up together but their villages were nearby and sometimes he would go in Wyne, Rein's home village, to visit his father who is a farmer. They are not friends but are acquaintances.

Rein arrives at the ajar door of her restaurant. She sees a young woman and man putting on white curtains while another young man is wiping and cleaning the chairs and tables.

“There was a delivery from the Merchant's Guild, Mistress Rein,” the young man wiping the chair stands up to speak. “The boxes are right there.” He points near the palm tree which is beside Rein.

“Oh, thank you.” Rein goes to the boxes and scans the contents.

The awkwardness when she left hours ago was still present. However, she didn't mind it, as long as they do their jobs right everything will go right.

She takes leaflets from the box and stands. “May I know where's Marie?” she turns to them and asks.

“She's in the kitchen, Mistress Rein. Should I call her?” the young man seemed to be the only one who can speak among them.

“Yes, please do.”

He opens the door of the kitchen and walks in. A few moments later, he steps out with a woman wearing a white apron. The young man returns to cleaning the chairs.

“Is there something I need to do, Mistress?” the woman speaks politely as she takes steps before Rein.

Rein hands over few parchments. “These are the menu. Please do keep them in the nearest drawer near the kitchen door.”

“I understand, Mistress Rein. Would that be all?”

“Yes, you can go back to the kitchen.” Marie turns her back and walks to the kitchen. “Laura. May I ask for your assistance here?” she calls to the young woman who is about to finish doing the curtains.

“Yes, Mistress Rein. Right away.” Laura goes down from a chair and walks to Rein. “What would it be?”

“These are the leaflets,” Rein points to the boxes. “I would like you to help me by giving them out in the streets and spreading the word.”

“Understood, Mistress Rein.” Laura begins to pick few leaflets. Afterward, she looks at Rein in confusion. “Um, may I ask?”

“Yes?”

“Do we have to empty all of these?” she pouts.

Rein lets out a small laugh. “No, we don't have to. Just take as many or as little as you can.”

“Alright, then.” Laura returns to the boxes.

Rein announces to every person inside who can hear. “I'll leave the place to you for a while.”

* * *

The bright rosy skies painted on the waters flowing in the canal. The reddened lights blocked by the structures touch gently on her face. The curlicue trims of these structures are accenting through silhouettes.

Her first day in the Empire is nearing its end while she is still about to begin her life. After walking in the streets of Suden giving out leaflets publicizing the opening of the restaurant, all of the enthusiasm she gained waking up in the morning drained at once.

Rein takes a seat on the nearby wooden bench to rest her back. She wearily places the remaining three leaflets and leans her neck on the bench's backrest staring at the azure sky gradually transforming purplish.

Calmness. She had to remember almost all of the streets in less than a day to avoid getting lost. Resting far from the busy streets of Suden eases her spent mind. 

"Excuse me, Madam." Rein hears a mysterious voice coming from her right.

"Yes?" Rein ignores the urgency of the standard wherein women should behave with etiquette at all times.

"Pardon me for sitting without your permission. I would like to ask something."

"Gang 'heed." Rein lets out her in Traviunian speech as she feels relaxation in her position.

"I'm interested in visiting Ambrosia tomorrow."

When he spoke of the restaurant, Rein's senses came back. As she raises her head and turns to where the voice is coming, a man wearing tawny cinched trousers and creamy tunic was sitting beside her.

In an instant, she stands and curtseys griping her jade skirt with all her strength while stooping her head even lower. "Forgive me for the utter vulgarity of my behavior, Your Majesty."

The Crowned Prince of Aldea was undoubtedly the existence before her. Other than the embarrassment of her shameful behavior, she had ruined her reputation to the prince in their first meeting.

The prince stands and gestures, "Oh, you don't have to. Please do return to your seat."

Rein eases up and goes back to her seat with flushed cheeks. This is an utter embarrassment. I even spoke impolitely.

1