Chapter 3
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As she feels the rays on her face, she opens her eyes to see that it was already day. Last night, she couldn't sleep at all. The pressure of what is to come tonight was too much for her to contain.

 

She stretches her arms while rising. "Good morning, Madam Maxine." Standing beside the curtains is a serious young woman in a lemon-colored frock. Oh, Teresa.

 

Maxine never had someone who waits for her. On her second morning in the Empire, she’s still not used to seeing Teresa every time she wakes up. She steps out of the bed. “Good morning, Teresa.” 

 

It happened on the night she arrived in the Empire. She had expected to walk from the coach parkade to the Baron Gruent’s mansion, however, a coach came before her. Viscount Rosselle of the Empire gave me my own coach and coachman with a lady-in-waiting. Maxine was overwhelmed but at the same time, she felt condescending. The Viscount had made his move to impress the Duke and his heir which was very cunning of him.

 

Yesterday, Viscount Rosselle had come to visit her. Coming from the lower aristocracy, Maxine never dealt with any aristocrats before. She had to extract all her forgotten knowledge of etiquette towards aristocracy which she learned back from her uncle’s castle in Wyne.

 

“Madam Maxine, how is the assistance I gave you last night?” Conceitedness among aristocrats is generic. You can find humble aristocrats seldom.

 

“It was very kind of you, My Lordship Rosselle. I was overwhelmed.” Too overwhelming that it’s disgusting.

 

“Oh, if you may call me Albert, Madam Maxine.” He shifts from his seat. “It is natural for an aristocrat to make that gesture for someone like you. If you have any complaints from them, please do tell me. I’ll make sure nothing of this sort will disappoint you again.” And what will you do with them? Kick the lady-in-waiting out from the family and make sure the coachman will never be employed again.

 

This was the reason why Maxine never liked dealing with aristocrats. She didn’t have the potency to control her nerves, but she had to build something of the sort.

 

“Yes, I will do that, My Lordship Albert.” When I have the bravado to do that but I don’t think I will ever do.

 

“Would you like to have another lady-in-waiting or a page, Madam Maxine? Single assistance would not be enough for you.”

 

“No, you don’t have to go to that extent. She should be enough.”

 

“You can also ask me for anything, Madam Maxine.” When can I go back to my sketches? “I can do anything as my authority makes me so.”

Maxine finds Viscount Rosselle’s visit yesterday a waste of time. She only had a few weeks to do any of her sketches and paintings. A few hours were spent on a windbag. However, that was not the end of it. There are a couple of aristocrats who are planning to visit her today and there are still other aristocrats sending letters of visitation. She didn’t know she would go through such grueling conditions just for marriage. She even got her room with a maidservant in her uncle’s mansion. Is it even worth it?

 

“Your bath is ready, Madam Maxine.” Carol stands a few steps beside Maxine with a folded robe and a towel.

 

“Thank you.” As she walks behind the partition and arrives before the steaming tub, Teresa follows her behind. She slips the short-puffed sleeves from her shoulders and dips into the tub. She sees Teresa picking up her robe. “Thank you.” Teresa glances and bows her head before disappearing behind the partition.

 

Teresa never smiled or even looked pleased ever since Maxine met her the night before yesterday. The family of an aristocrat is constrained to follow the words from the head of the family (in this case, Viscount Albert Rosselle). The head of the family is entitled to dismiss someone from the family if it is in the scope of the law. However, considering the Viscount’s arrogance, he can do whatever he wants and whenever he wants.

 

Viscount Rosselle’s brother is Teresa’s father. Although she comes from the lower aristocracy, being a member of the Viscount family, her title is superior to Maxine’s. Teresa is not supposed to wait on Maxine, however, the Viscount was thinking of his future influence on the Duke.

Teresa hands the silken stockings and followed by the drawers to Maxine. She slips her feet inside first with the former and the latter comes after which she also ties around her legs. Teresa picks the chemise and gives it to Maxine. It was trimmed with lace and a sleeveless round neck.

 

Carol comes with the pale emerald corset. Teresa wraps it around her waist just below her breasts and pushes the strings outward. Maxine was not used to making other people dress her but wearing these cinched corsets needs assistance. Afterward, she wears an austere amber dress and rose embroidered shoes.

 

"The breakfast would be ready, Madam Maxine," Teresa says while Carol cleans the small clutter.

 

"Mm." Maxine stretches her arms to settle the sleeves and tries to adjust the neckline although it is evident she can't adjust any of it. Who wears long sleeves and high necklines in summer?

 

She sees herself before the mirror. She frowns. I look like both Death and a clown with these powders and ruby on my mouth. Yesterday, Maxine changed into six sets of clothes: her home dress, reception dress, lunch dress, tea dress, dinner dress, and night robes. She also had to wear cosmetics before stepping out of her room in the morning and before she went to sleep. 

 

Three days ago the last day she stayed in her uncle's castle, she only had to wear three sets of dresses: her home dress, strolling dress, and night robes. She only wears cosmetics when she needs to present herself in the public and she rarely does. Today she'll have to wear more sets of clothes considering that there are two aristocrats visiting and an event tonight.

 

"Shall we go, Teresa?" Maxine straightens her back and smiles.

 

"Yes, Madam Maxine."

 

Teresa walks and opens the door while Maxine steps out of the room.

 

"Who's having breakfast with me?"

 

"Lord Harris had left early this morning. It would be Lady Catherine, Madam Maxine."

 

Maxine grins in relief. Yesterday's breakfast was a disaster or rather she felt disaster. Harris is the second son of Baron Gruent and having Maxine inside their doors was a nuisance. He was the young man Viscount Rosselle used to be.

 

Catherine, the youngest daughter of the Baron, is the quietest person she ever met. Maxine had grown up together with them back in Traviun but she barely talked with her. She only speaks briefly when you ask her. However, having her around with Harris was better than Maxine being alone with Harris.

 

* * *

 

"I've placed the portrait in the foyer."

 

"Really? Isn't that too gaudy?"

 

"The bourgeoisie and the merchants loved it so." She sips the hibiscus tea. "You're friends with Rein Cronstedt, right?"

 

"Yes. She's opening her restaurant today, I bet."

 

"We're giving out leaflets, posting on several boards, and telling our acquaintances and friends about it. So, she came to my office yesterday. Isn't she too dedicated to her place?" Maxine laughs. "When few of my acquaintances learned that she's putting up a restaurant in the Empire, they had asked me if she could be part of the production they're doing during Lumere."

 

"Ronnie, she'll decline those." Her dedication and free-spiritedness are two things I don't think I will ever have.

 

Veronica laughs. "I doubt she'll agree to it." She sips her tea again this time emptying it. "Have you gotten used to how high aristocrats do their stuff?"

 

A week before the last new moon, Veronica sent a letter in the Baron Gruent's castle visiting and wanting to have Maxine do her portrait. Maxine wrote a response agreeing to the letter. Three days after Veronica was standing with her page and her coach behind before the castle. For a couple of weeks, she finished the portrait and Veronica went back to the Empire. Whether it happened because she wants to know her future sister-in-law or simply because she wants a portrait from Maxine, she never knew. However, that was the beginning of their friendship. Developing bonds with her clientele is necessary to make the portrait resemble their style and tone, and to reveal their nature. However, her bond with Veronica was something different than the others.

 

"I don't think I will. Dressing tons of times a day and wearing make-up all day are too taxing. Also, I have no plans on meeting some obnoxious people as a hobby." Maxine curves her lips from disgust.

 

Veronica laughs. "You should've refused Thorald, then. But wait," she pauses to think and grins, "I don't think you can."

 

"I should've known, really." Maxine smiles.

 

"I bet telling Thorald about that would be worthwhile." They both laugh imagining Thorald's response. "Anyways,  are you good for tonight? Should I accompany you, Maxine?"

 

"Oh, no. You don't have to. I think I can manage."

 

"Well, don't tell me I didn't warn you."

 

That was the most relaxing visit she ever did since coming to the Empire. If only she's allowed to visit Rein, that'd make things even better.

 

After having tea with Veronica, Maxine walks back to her room. As she arrives inside, Carol stands beside the blush bed. There were three prearranged assembles of dresses in varied colors with their undercoats and accessories. Wow, and I have to choose among those. Can I?

 

"We have prepared your dress for tonight's soirée." Even though she was with me the whole time? What sort of craft or magic is this? Teresa walks to the clothes. "You can choose whichever you prefer, Madam Maxine." Can I not? Those are scary.

 

Maxine walks over to the clothes. She touches and tries to hold them out. So, which one of you is heavier, eh? Most of the luxurious gowns are usually made of satin and silk while there are few made of linen. The heavier your clothes are, the wealthier you are, and the more expensive accessories you have, the wealthier you are.

 

All of the clothes she had worn ever since arriving in the Empire were given by Viscount Rosselle. He must've been some veteran stalker for knowing my sizes without asking me. All of these dresses, undercoats, accessories, and cosmetics in her room right now are not an exception. They were gifts but somehow she felt disgusted wearing them.

 

"I'd like to go with this one," Maxine holds out the scarlet tulle ball gown in between. She is supposed to wear a ruby necklace, bracelets in gold and pearl, and a head ornament of diamonds and ruby along with the embroidered gold metal. "I would also like to wear my current linen undergarments for tonight, Teresa." And other sorts are not allowed! It's not like everyone will see them.

 

"Even though we have new silken garments here, Madam Maxine?" Teresa shows them.

 

Maxine nodded while saying, "Yes, even though."

 

"I understand, Madam Maxine."

To My Dearest Rein, 

 

Awrite! 

 

Ah hawp this letter finds ye weel. How come you've bin faring? 

 

I hae bin guid ever sin we parted afore th' wynd o' Prayne. Ah wanted tae tell ye aboot howfur muckle ah lassy oor days th'gither back in Traviun. Ah an' a' wanted tae tell ye o' howfur I’ve bin daein' 'ere in Baron Gruent’s mansion.

 

Efter we parted, a coach 'n' a lady-in-waiting whilk wur given by Viscount Rosselle arrived afore me. Alang wi' thaim wur bens o' claes. Ah appreciate his efforts o' providing me a helping haun, however his gaudiness 'n' arrogance disgust me sae. Ah pure hawp he doesn’t appear afore me anymair. 'N', ah ken he aye wull. 

 

'Twas gey tiring tae wear yin dress efter anither everyday. Even th' nicht, ah hae tae wear something wi' a'maist thirty poonds. Sae peely-wally! If ainlie I’d kent aboot it beforehand. Weel, ah ken you’d say, ye can’t see me refusing Thorald, bit even though. I’m actually trying tae disregard th' thoughts o' huvin tae dae thae mah entire lee. 

 

Howfur wis th' foremaist day o` yer restaurant? Is everything gaun well? Ah hawp ah kin see ye sooner.

 

Warmest Regards,

Maxine Martin

Baron Gruent of Traviun

0