Chapter 4
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How were the papers I sent to Master Jeanne the day before yesterday, Eric?”

 

“According to him, Lady Veronica, he will visit your office first tomorrow morning.” Veronica scans over the documents in her hands. “However, he is probably planning to propose it again. He seemed so determined to have it done.”

 

“It’s his illness, being stubborn. We’ll prepare to reject his propositions, then.”

 

With the Lumere Festival drawing in, the Merchant’s Guild is busy organizing it. Veronica manages the Merchant’s Guild division in Suden. Not only does she administer businesses and trading in Suden, but she also takes orders from Meister Docherty, the Chief Merchant of the Merchant’s Guild in Aldea. Along with her fully occupied schedule, Duke Thatcher, her father, adds another drain.

 

The first time everyone in the Duke’s castle had breakfast together since last week was this morning, Duke Thatcher had sent his page into his children’s rooms inviting them for breakfast.

 

“Thorald, have you visited Maxine already?” he opens the conversation. He’s now calling her ‘Maxine’.

 

“I haven’t, Father. I’ve been so busy preparing for the festival.” Thorald sips the wine beside his plate and gulps down the food.

 

“Visit her today. I’m sure she’d love that.”

 

“Yes, Father. I will do that.”

 

Everything that happens during breakfast is like major giving orders to his soldiers. Veronica slices the pork and shoves it in her mouth. She prepares herself for the next person to be told.

 

“Good.” Duke Thatcher finishes his food and sips his wine. Here it comes. “By the way, Veronica, did you visit Prince Ralph last week?”

 

“I was so caught up in the guild that I forgot about it, Father. However, I have sent him a letter of regards.” I did. Yeah, friendly regard.

 

He sighs. “Will you deliver something to the palace today?”

 

“What would it be, Father?” Veronica swallows her food before she speaks.

 

“It’s a private matter. Jason will hand it to you later.”

 

“I understand, Father.” 

 

In the past year, Duke Thatcher arranged a meeting between Veronica and Prince Ralph of Mirrah. The latest age of marriage for women is twenty-five while Veronica is already turning thirty. Women who don't get married are degraded by society. The Duke had been trying his best for her marriage even if she had told him five years ago that she has no plans to get married. He wanted the prestige of his family to be preserved through his offspring.

 

Veronica wanted nothing of it. "I understood, Father."

 

"How's Eugene, Thorald?" As he tracks back to Thorald, Eugene who's sitting beside Veronica stiffens.

 

"He is working his way to learn commerce." Thorald smiles to ease the tension. "His attention to detail is really impressive, Father."

 

Eugene relieves his shoulders and eats the meat on his fork. Did he do something wrong, Veronica thought. Thorald had always been the most considerate among them even if he gets rough in his work.

 

"That's good." Duke Thatcher gestures to fill his glass from the manservant behind him. After drinking all of it, he continues, "Is everything good with Madam Jeanne, Olivia?"

 

Olivia finishes her plate and grunts. "She doesn't know proper etiquette, Father. She even tried to throw me a thick book. Such contemptuous behavior!"

 

"Olivia mind your words." She starts to pout. "It is a disgrace for you to shout during a meal." Olivier is usually humble and considerate before her family but she's nasty to those who have lower titles than her. Every time Veronica witnesses this behavior she corrects Olivier but so far nothing has changed at all no matter how many times she does it.

 

"Anyway, I will replace her by tomorrow, Olivia. You don't have to worry." Wonderful.

 

With her mother laying on the bed all day due to her illness, no one could tell of Duke Thatcher and Olivia's behavior. As she thought about this after breakfast, she went to visit her mother. Her mother had been sick since last year. The doctor had determined that her pancreas is developing a tumor however there was no cure for this. Her mother is left lying on the bed waiting for her death.

 

"By the way Eric, what did Thomas say?"

 

"He'd like to have tea with you on the tenth hour, Lady Veronica."

 

"Even though I said I'd meet him on the fifteenth hour?" Veronica hands a pile of papers on Eric's arms. "Give those to Hansel."

 

"Yes, Lady Veronica. It seemed he had a prearranged engagement before noon." Eric walks to the door, opens it, and steps out of the office.

 

Veronica sighs. She was planning to finish all of the documents of businesses and trading before noon. However, delivering the said letter was important.

As Eric knocks and walks beside the table, the bell rings. "I think you should prepare for your leave, Lady Veronica. The ninth hour had come. Should I let Francis finish them?"

 

Veronica stands. "Please do." She walks out of her office and goes upstairs entering her private room.

 

She opens a closet and gets a peachy cloak. She tightly closed it and wrapped the cloak around her. Veronica steps out of the room and walks downstairs.

 

"The coach is already outside, Lady Veronica," Eric says as Veronica nears him.

 

She goes downstairs again while Eric follows behind her. As they reach the door, Eric opens it and she walks outside. "You seem to be very busy, Lady Veronica. Your temples seem to be sweating," the coachman says.

 

Eric offers an ivory handkerchief. After Veronica wipes her temples, she says, "Thank you, Russel." As Eric opens the door of the coach, she walks into the coach. Eric follows and sits across her. The coachman begins to drive.

 

Veronica looks out from the window. She knows why the letter needs to be hand-delivered to the Emperor's palace. As her father had failed to make Prince Ralph ask for her hand, he's now pushing his hopes to the Highest Crowned Prince, Thomas. Other than offering dowry to the family of the man, a man needs to propose to the woman before they become betrothed. To make this happen, the woman needs to convince the man to marry her.

 

And Duke Thatcher thinks that Veronica needs to improve her relationship with Prince Thomas. Veronica and Prince Thomas had spent most of their childhood together. Their closeness was irreplaceable to the extent that Emperor Elric and Duke Thatcher wanted them to get married which later on changed as they grew up.

 

Father just seems so desperate. Even though I can build up my prestige on my own even if people don't see me as his daughter anymore. To aristocrats prestige means authority; it means everything.

 

As they arrive before the palace gates, the coach stops. Veronica overlooks the great expanse of the golden structure standing above the mountain. "Good morning. What would be your appointment?" She hears an unfamiliar voice from the outside. "Lady Veronica from the Duke Thatcher of the Empire is here to have an audience with His Highest Majesty Thomas." The coach continues to move.

 

• • •

 

"Have you not noticed it when we were still kids? Hans would always follow you around crawling," Veronica laughs being nostalgic.

 

"Didn't he always strip my pants?" Thomas raises an eyebrow and sips the tea.

 

"Ah, yes, yes. He loved your pants." Veronica cachinnates and stops immediately after realizing her behavior. "That was shameless of me. Why don't you have him around? Eugene didn't want to follow in the footsteps of my father but he sticks around Thorald, though."

 

"He won't be a burden, though. But, I don't think I'm the right person he needs to learn from. I'm still a third-rate."

 

Veronica feels the hibiscus tea on her tongue. As she puts the cup on the saucer, she scorns, "That's what's wrong with you. Your humility could undermine others who are inferior to what you have already done. Make yourself worthy of the throne. Be arrogant from time to time."

 

"So, I should have Hans with me then?" He confirms.

 

Veronica is four years younger than Prince Thomas however she usually acts like his elder sister. He is too softhearted that it makes him unfit to succeed his father. "That's what I've been telling you."

 

The maidservant behind him gestures to fill his cup but he gestures back refusing it. "By the way, last week I was in Mirrah. Ralph seems to be planning on visiting you later during the festival. Did you receive a letter from him?"

 

"No, not yet. I sent him a letter a few days ago. My father wanted me to visit him and obviously, I have no plans going to where he wants me." Veronica breathes in. "Is that so? Maybe there'll be a letter coming these few days."

 

"You should see him, Ronnie." Now, Prince Thomas turns their roles around. Tsk, I didn't want to talk about this.

 

Veronica finishes her tea. "Maybe I should."

 

"You definitely should. His Majesty Raymond had made him meet several other women in title."

 

"Oh, that's promising."

 

"Anyway, I have to leave. I have an incoming guest." 

 

"Then, I'll be taking my leave too. I see that you seem to be very enthusiastic with this guest."

 

Prince Thomas smiles. "Yes, if this goes well, Father's condition may get better."

 

"I see." However, there was something other than the excitement in his eyes and Veronica notices this.

 

They both stood. "I'd love to hear the fruits of it, then," Veronica adds.

 

"I'll let you know when there are." Prince Thomas immediately takes his leave with his page following him behind.

 

Veronica begins to walk back to the entrance. As she passes the corridor near the gardens, she sees a young woman wearing a lavender gown adorning her swept-back scarlet hair. Along with her are a woman in a mustard frock and the maidservant who welcomed them recently.

 

As the young woman, the woman, and the maidservant curtseys, she also curtseys in response to the young woman.

 

She turns to the maidservant. "Can I talk alone with Mistress Rein?"

 

"Yes, of course, Lady Veronica. Please follow me, Missus Treanse." The maidservant and the woman continue their walk.

 

"How's the restaurant going, Rein?"

 

"The opening was eventful. We had no time to rest. The next day until today was not as many as it was. However, we had a constant flow of customers." Rein smiles.

 

"My recommendations did well, then. You can visit me anytime if you want to have another servant."

 

"Then, I'll be doing that immediately tomorrow."

 

"And you're already this famous for the royalty to know you."

 

"Oh, no, not that much. It was just a coincidence."

0