31 – The Former Divine Maiden’s Morning After
1.7k 16 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Freyr slowly opened her eyes. When she did, she noticed that she felt... warm. Not only warm, but relaxed. As if a weight she didn't know she had been carrying her entire life was lifted.

At that time, light flickered in front of her eyes. A series of system messages.

[<Sacrifice of the Divine Maiden> is invalidated by giving up your chastity.]
[<Divine Anathema> corrodes your very existence.]

[The taboo act of embracing a mortal who denies the heavens strikes against your core of existence.]
[Your future is forfeit. Your authority is shattered. Your divinity is erased.]
[Racial Trait <Aesir> is lost.]
[Race: <Aesir> is lost.]

[Your existence will be undone.]

A flurry of terrifying messages. Words that declared that she would lose everything for her actions. But... the messages didn't stop there.

[<Heaven's Veil> denies your end.]
[<Volsunga> spins a new tale from the threads of an old myth.]
[<Plume of Dusk> blesses the tale of rebirth and a bright future.]

The three items that Vain had created for her. The accessory made from those maidens lost to fate and betrayed by their gods to a tragic end. The sword forged at the cost of Vain's life to carve a new future. And then the last... the core of her eldest sister's powers, changed by Vain's own emotions and sentiments to grant her strength.

They rose up to act against Freyr's declared end. To deny the consequences of her forsaking her role as a goddess and embracing an ordinary human.

But that wasn't all.

[Your pure love and emotions as a faithful companion have been rewarded.]
[Your life will not end in Vain.]
[Your end shall have nothing but Glory.]

[<Divine Anathema> corrupts your status.]
[Your race changes to <Vanir (Altered)>]
[You have gained the racial trait <Vanir (Altered)>]
[Your trait <Cold-Hearted> has become <Devout Lover>]
[Your trait <Babel's Fury> has been erased.]
[Your title <Babel's Curse of Vainglory> has become <Blessing of Vainglory>]
[Please confirm your status at the earliest opportunity.]

It was another flurry of system messages. Ones that Freyr didn't quite understand, but that made it clear she would be fine.

Freyr reached out and brushed the messages away. After that, she lowered her hand and then realized that she was laying undressed on a bed. Not only that, but she realized that while she felt warm over all, certain parts of her were warmer than usual... and a bit damp.

"T-This..." Her eyes grew wide and she quickly jumped out of the bed.

A blanket fell to the ground, revealing her bare skin to the world. Pristine, unblemished... At least, that should be the case. But when she examined herself, she saw that there were red marks around her chest and thighs. Not only that, but that dampness she felt was dripping from-

Freyr felt her face heat up, suddenly recalling everything that she had done... And had been done to her. "D-Did I... Truly...?" She quickly turned to look back at the bed.

The proof was there. The traces of last night covered the sheets... and floor. Along with her clothing.

But most importantly, there was someone there on the bed. The same one responsible for the mess... and who indulged in her selfishness.

Vain.

He was fast asleep. No, not just fast asleep. Judging from how he didn't stir even when Freyr jumped out of the bed in a panic, he was completely knocked out. Exhausted.

Though, considering all that they did...

Freyr blushed and placed her hands on her cheeks. "T-That..." She subconsciously glanced back at Vain.

Like Freyr, he was completely undressed. Even the shield that he always wore on him was gone... and somehow tucked beneath a table in the corner of the room? And was it her imagination, or was it vibrating for some reason?

Freyr didn't know, but that wasn't important. Instead...

Red marks along Vain's neck. Light red scratches tracing his chest. And further down...

Freyr's face started burning up and she spun around to avoid looking at him. "...I-It seems like that was no dream..."

She had acted on a whim, overwhelmed by her emotions in the moment and from hearing that Vain liked her. B-But to think that it would end up like this...

'Do you regret it?' A small voice from the depths of her heart.

Freyr paused and then gently placed her hands over her heart, smiling. "...No. I do not."

It was selfish. She was well aware of that fact. Not only that, but some would call it foolish.

Freyr was a goddess. Not only that... she was a tool. While her parents loved her, she was still a construct. Someone created with a specific purpose and intent.

It would have been fine to keep it at just emotions. But to go this far...

'He won't be with you forever.'

Another soft whisper.

...That was true. She was a goddess... meaning that her lifespan was marked by millennia rather than years. Compared to Vain, a mere human...

"...I know."

It was difficult. While humans could cross the boundary and break free of their mortality, it was near impossible. The number of ordinary humans who reached the top of Babel could be counted on one hand. And while precious items existed to prolong life... the magnitude of scale between their lifespans wasn't easy to bridge.

Not only that, but any children they would have... she would be sure to outlive as well.

"...Even so. Even if that is the fate that awaits..."

Freyr closed her eyes and recalled it.

Vain's casual and confident air. His sincere gaze that always supported her above all else. And most of all... the soft words he whispered while holding her in his embrace.

'Even if everything in the world betrays you, I won't. And even if I'm not qualified to stand by your side right now or hold you close... I'll make sure that you can at least stand alone. I promise.'

*badump*

Freyr's heart throbbed as she remembered his words. And when it did, she let out a sigh and lowered her hands. "...You stupid and foolish man." She walked back over to the bed and picked up the blanket. But after grabbing it, she blushed and decided to pull a fresh one out from her <Item Box> instead. With that in hand, she tucked Vain in, lightly brushing his hair away from his face.

He didn't stir, only continuing to sleep with slow, steady breaths.

Freyr gave him a light kiss and then pulled back, letting out a soft smile. "...Rest well, my love." She caressed Vain's cheek and then stepped away.

Since last night was... steamy. And since she never did clean up after her last battle, Freyr decided to take a bath. So with that in mind, she walked over to the hot tub and turned the water on.

A low bubbling echoed in the room as crystal clear water started filling the hot tub, along with some light steam.

Freyr paused a moment to look at Vain, not wanting to repeat the last incident... But then she realized that she had literally bared her entire body and even the depths to him.

That last thought made Freyr's face heat up again and she quickly stepped into the hot tub.

Maybe if she sat in the hot water, it'd let her forget about how hot she had felt last night in Vain's arms. Or how his hands were so soft against her skin, and how her her belly felt so warm when-

Freyr's face heated up again and she quickly turned the faucet to cold water, splashing some on her face. After that, she leaned back, letting the tub fill up with cold water instead.

Yes. That would definitely make her forget about it for the moment. Though, with the cold water running and brushing against her body, it reminded her of how cold her thighs had been after-

Freyr moaned and then covered her face. "...I am such a shameless woman..."

Maybe Vain was right... Love really did change a person. Especially their bodies. And how after the first time-

[The Karmic Anomaly's Wife is munching on popcorn.]
[The Heaven-Seizer gives a knowing nod.]

[A Goddess of Magic says she is so proud of you and that Vanir women should embrace their heritage. Feeling that way is nothing to be ashamed of.]
[A Trickster God whistles and says that you're kinkier than he thought you'd be for such a straight-laced princess knight.]

"...Kill me. Please."

[The Karmic Anomaly says that would not end well.]
[The Timeless Savant of Accumulation curses and says that guy doesn't deserve to have it so easy!]
[The Nameless One agrees.]
[The Sword of Akasha wishes you well.]

Freyr sighed.

-V-

[Status Screen]

-Biography-

Name: Freyr Valhalla

Age: 2000 (equivalent of 20 mortal years)

Race: Vanir (Altered)

Class: Brynhildr

Current Condition: Content and Satisfied

-Racial Traits-

Vanir (Altered) - A group of divine beings associated with fertility, wisdom, and the ability to see the future. However, like the Aesir, they are doomed to meet their end at Ragnarok. Fatal weakness to Fate and destiny based attacks. Realizing the inevitable end, they continue regardless and fight with all their might to change a tragedy into a triumph, severing the strings of fate. All stats except luck +1000. Luck based phenomenon are negated.

-Traits-

Devout Lover (For his sake, you will do any and everything.)

Heroic (Acts in the best interest of others, potentially to one's own detriment.)

-Titles-

Blessing of Vainglory - May your life be filled with nothing but happiness. May your dreams and ambitions come to fruition. Even if the time comes where we part, I will ensure your life contains nothing but good fortune and blessings.

Azure Lightning Blade - The pioneer of a swordsmanship replicating Thor's divine thunder, imbued with Freyja's magic and borrowing the tracking of Odin's divine armament Gungnir.

Norse Pantheon Heiress Apparent - Intuitive knowledge of magic, combat, and tactics.

Faithful Companion - The title once owned and now bestowed by the Heaven-Seizer. Through trials and tribulations, the sentiments of trust and belonging will not fade. As long as you do not betray your heart and believe in 'him', you will remain in his thoughts.

Mythical Nightmare - A being whose name and story has been passed down through the ages. One with extraordinary power and abilities, able to end countless heroes and villains alike. You are one who has struck fear into the very core of such a being, and in turn fear no being before or above you. Beings with lesser status are suppressed.

-Parameters-

Level: 11

Strength: 320 (+1000)

Agility: 320 (+1000)

Vitality: 320(+1000)

Intelligence: 320 (+1000)

Mana: 320 (+1000)

Luck: NULL (MAX)

Bonus Stat Points: 140

-Skills-

One with the Sword - A level of mastery with the sword that makes it an extension of the body. Allows perfect usage of anything that can be called a 'sword.' Cannot be used on weapons with an ego that rejects the user.

Rudimentary Runic Magic - Allows the usage of basic runes and the construction of basic runic phenomenon.

Covenant of the Plume - Increases all parameters in combat for allied units. Increases morale of all allied units. Allows all allied units to show 'Heroic Resolve', which allows one final action after receiving a mortal blow. Grants allies the ability 'Heroic Sacrifice', amplifying all parameters by one magnitude at the cost of death after combat.

Item Box (Minor) - A skill that grants the user a small spatial pocket to store items. Time is slowed within the spatial pocket to 1/10th of the normal flow. Can hold approximately 1 cubic meter of items.

-Class Skills-

Brynhildr's Love - While with the one you love, all of your abilities are magnified.

Tragic Reprisal - When your beloved is in a deadly situation, all of your abilities are amplified tenfold.

-Inventory-

Heaven's Veil (Conceptual Artifact) - Soulbound

Volsunga: Epitaph of Vainglory (Conceptual Weapon) - Soulbound

58