Chapter 19
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What is Chen to me? 

I kept calling him my roommate, my friend. But...I glance at the room door, slightly open now that there's no one holed inside. Then my gaze travels to the empty spot where Cao Cao used to reside. 

"Oh, I rescued it."

"Yeah, from the dentist's." 

"Not stolen! Rescued. Look at these drooping leaves! Look at how the color is off!"

I shake my head to clear it. Am I hallucinating now? I need a beer or something. 

I walk tot he fridge and open it. Strawberries, watermelon, all of Chen's favorites

"Well they're delicious! How can you not love them?"

"But I always buy them, forget they're there, then they grow fungus."

I slam the fridge shut and stride to my room. Why don't I get some work done? My gaze lands on the blue Bic next to my laptop. 

"Your", huff, "pen".

"Can I-can I have your number?"

"I'm Chen."

I grab my phone and make a call. 

"Hey, Mimi?"

"Have you thought it over? So fast?"

"Yeah, can I talk to Chen?" 

"Let me ask him for you." Is he at her house? It's silent for several moments, then she returns. 

"Chen says fine. Come pick him up at..." She reads out her address and I hastily type it into my phone.

"And Ram?"

"Hmm?"

"If you're going to do it, at least do it right. Bring flowers, okay?" What? Click. She hangs up.

Ten minutes later I'm pulling in to a random grocery store. They should have flowers here right? Wait, why am I getting flowers in the first place? ...Because she said to. But why though? I'm just getting my roommate back, it's not like I'm-

"Can I help you?" I glance up at the petite brunette in a salesperson's uniform.

"Uh...I'm looking for flowers."

"Oh! Right this way." She leads me to the side.

"Would you like roses or-"

"No!" She looks back at me curiously. "I mean," I notice a large petaled flower that looks fairly harmless. At least it doesn't mean love right?

"I'll take this one!" I quickly pay for it, get back in my car, and drive to the meeting location. It's at another apartment building. Is this Mimi's house? I find the correct door and knock, holding the flowers in one hand. The door opens. It's Chen.

"Ram." His face is cold, without the usual smile. Then he notices the flowers. "Those are...?" 

"Here." I push them towards him.

"...chrysanthemums?" He says hesitantly, a peculiar expression on his face. 

"Uh yeah." Is that what those are?

"So...can we talk>" He looks up.

"...alright."

He follows me to the car and I drive while sneaking glances at him. 

"So...why did you give me chrysanthemums?" He finally says, probably tired of my silent glances.

"I, uh to make up."

"So you gave me chrysanthemums?" His voice is even stranger. Why does he keep asking? What do I say? I picked it because I didn't want to give you roses that are obviously romantic? 

I pull into a parking lot and get out of the car, absentmindedly glancing up: Panera Bread. Somehow I drove all the way to the Panera Bread where we first met. I feel him stiffen behind me and I know he realizes it too. We head inside and find a table. 

2