Chapter 22
34 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That same afternoon I drive Chen to Mimi's house to bring back his stuff. 

"If you ever hurt him again-" Mimi threatens. "I will end you." 

"Yes, definitely. I won't hurt him again." I promise, flicking off imaginary sweat from my brow. Damn girls can be scary.

As we drive back, Chen fingers Cao Cao in his lap while I take peeks at him through the corner of my eye.

"So..." I start. He looks up questioningly.

"Are we together now?"

"Huh?"

"Like boyfriends, we're together now right?" He chokes. Then opens and closes his mouth.

"That's so unromantic!" 

I blink. "Well...I already brought you flowers-"

"How do those ones count!?" He demands pinching me. I burst out laughing.

"Well to be fair that's a really obscure meaning, how was I supposed to know those flowers represent-"

"Shut up."

"You said it earlier! Hahaha! Don't pinch, there, don't-" I yelp as he pinches my ticklish waist. The car caresses the edge of the lane and someone honks from behind. 

"Wait, so are we?" I ask, after my laughter dies down.

"We're not." 

"Ah? But-"

"Don't mention the flowers!"

"Then why aren't we? I basically confessed-" I glance at him, his face is turned away from me and his ear is red.

"We're not because I say we're not!"

"But-" We reach home with no conclusion. The minute we arrive, Chen gets out of the car and rushes to his room. I try to follow but I'm blocked by the locked door. I raise my fist to knock. As if sensing me outside the door Chen calls back "I'm busy!" before I have an opportunity for my fist to make contact with the door. I recall my words from earlier: "I won't bang on your door anymore or disturb you when you're busy." 

Argh, why did you say that Ram? I glance towards the door again and my lips quirk into a smile. At least he's back now. I head to my room to finish some work. Around an hour later I come out to grab a glass of water. I'm humming and there's a light spring in my step. I glance towards the newly returned Cao Cao...then freeze.

"Chen." My voice sounds strangled.

"Chen!" I quickly stride towards his door and knock loudly. "Chen! Cao Cao-Cao Cao has-"

"What?" The door immediately opens. "What's wrong with Cao Cao?" I point. Chen looks over-then his face breaks out into a smile.

"Oh what do we have here? Looks like Cao Cao has made a friend!"

"A friend??? You call that a friend!?" I point at the hairy monstrosity. "That-that-"

"It's just a spider Ram, nothing to get worked up about."

"Worked up about?! It's all spindly and-" I pause, Chen is staring at me as if I'm stupid. Maybe I am being stupid. "Fine." I pick up a textbook sitting on the table and raise it high.

"What are you doing???!" Chen cries.

"I'm going to kill it."

"Don't! Spiders are amazing! If we didn't have them we'd get overrun by other flying insects like mosquitoes!"

"Well then, get it out of here!"

"I will, I will, if only to get it away from this killer." He gestures towards me. I watch with trepidation as he grabs a cup and slice of paper, smoothly slides the spider into the cup, and lets it go outside. My thumping heart slowly falls back into my chest. I'm an idiot. What the hell was that Ram?

Chen walks back in and pets Cao Cao's leaves. Then he looks at me, a peculiar expression on his face.

"...what?" I ask. He shakes his head, lips pressed tight.

"It's fine. Just let it out." I groan. He bursts into laughter.

"You-hahaha, were hahahahaha, so scared of, haha, a teenie tiny spider!" He bends over, pounding on the table. I walk over to him and grab my cup of water. 

"Well you can't blame me. They're spindly legs and-" I shiver. "Ugh." Chen's laughter has died down. Now he's just gazing at me smiling.

"What?"

"You're so cute."

"...Huh?" Before I have time to process those words, he leans towards me and leaves a peck on my lips. I freeze, mid filling up my glass. 

Several minutes later I'm pressing him against the wall, one hand behind his head yanking him towards me and the other around his waist. His arms circle my neck. We're almost frantic, lips, teeth, and I sneak my tongue in. After several moments we part, panting.

"...Chen."

"...what?" He looks up at me. His face is completely flushed. I feel my throat dry and I clear my throat. 

"Ahem, so...are we together now?" I ask.

"You-just shut up and kiss me you dolt!" He replies, pulling me back towards him and we're at it again. 

3