Chapter 24
34 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I reach home as fast as I can and head inside. However, Chen isn't there. I walk over to his door but find that the room is open. My heart thumps and I quickly open it. 

"Chen? Chen!"

"What?" I hear a vaguely muffled cry from the back. My eye moves over to...the bathroom.

"What? I'm in the shower!" I lick my suddenly dry lips.

"Uh...Nothing!" I back out of the room when suddenly Chen's phones starts ringing from the table near me. I instinctively pick it up and glance down: unknown

Should I pick it up? "Ram, did you call me?!" Chen's voice comes again from the bathroom and I jerk forward, my thumb pressing accept. Oh Shit. 

"No, it's nothing!" I yell again as I bring the phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" There's silence except for a particularly distinct, heavy breathing sound.

I try again. "Hello?" Click. I blink, glancing at the phone. They hung up, huh, ok. As I'm getting ready to put the phone down it rings again. I glance down. Still unknown. I pick up.

"Hello?" Silence, except for that same breathing.

"Okay if there's no one I'm hanging up-"

"Who are you?" It's an adult male by the sound of it, the tone is cold.

"I should be asking you that."

"This is not your phone." The tone is even frostier. I furrow my brows.

"This is my boyfriend's phone." Click. They've hung up again. 

Click. I look up to see Chen step out of a cloud of mist. His hair is wet, dripping down his pearly white, faintly flushed skin and around his large misty eyes. I gulp. 

"Ram, is something the matter?" His upturned eyes are innocent and dewy. I lick my dry lips.

"Uh...no. I was just-"

"Why do you have my phone?" His brow furrows and a droplet drips down his dainty nose. I forcefully turn my gaze away.

"Well it was ringing and I picked up on accident but there was someone weird."

"Weird?"

"Like there was heavy breathing and then-" I glance back up at Chen and pause. His eyes are downcast and he's fidgeting.

"What? Do you know who it is?" I ask.

"That..." He looks conflicted, my eyes narrow.

"Who is it?"

"I...I don't know."

"What do you mean, you don't know?"

"I really don't know. That person has been calling me recently. 

"Calling you?"

"Yeah." He looks up. "They call, breathe, then I hang up."

"...And how many times has this happened?" He turns his head to the side.

"Chen?"

"Maybe five times..."

"Five times? This person has randomly called you five times? Why haven't you blocked him?"

"Well I did the third time they called. Then, they started using a different number..."

"Seriously??? Ok, they shouldn't call back now...hopefully." Chen looks up.

"What did you do?"

"Oh nothing much. I just told the person I was your boyfriend."

"Huh??? Why?"

"Well if they're interested in you or something they now know you're taken." I walk over to Chen and throw my arms around his waist. 

"What does that have to do with anything???" Upon hearing this I pause and turn to face him.

"...do you know who he is? I don't mean who he is, I mean do you know why he's calling?"

"Well.." Chen looks off to the side.

"What?"

"I am gay and a writer so..."

"So what?" My tone is sharp. 

"Well, I thought it was harassment of some sort...you know, from someone who doesn't like my writing or my sexuality..." Chen says looking away from me.

"Harassment?" I cup his chin and gently force him to face me. "When did this start? And you didn't tell anyone?"

"Well it started a week ago. I just..." A week ago. That was before our argument.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He shrugs.

"Chen, no Chen come on." I force him to look me in the eye. "You have to tell me these things. I'm your boyfriend."

"You weren't then." 

"Well I am now. Can you promise you'll tell me if something like this happens? Tell me if you're ever in trouble. Can you promise me that?"

After a moment he quietly nods and I hug him, burying my face in the side of his neck.

A moment later: "Ow! You bit me!"

"That's your punishment for not telling me". 

3