Chapter 25
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day I'm on campus grabbing some things from the student affairs office when I get a call from Josh.

"Hey man, what's up?"

"Uh, you might want to come over here."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, adjusting the phone as I fill out some papers.

"Well, your boyfriend just walked off with a suspicious guy so..."

"What?" I pause.

"Yeah, he said it was fine but I thought I'd call just in case..."

"Where are you?"

"The literary club was holding another event in front of the library on the north campus-"

"I'm on the north campus, I'll be there in five." I hang up, quickly grab the sheets I need, and head out. Normally, I wouldn't think much of it but after learning about that weird call yesterday something feels off. I quickly arrive at the library. 

"Josh!" He looks over at me. "Where are they?" 

"They went towards the bagel shop-"

"Okay, thanks." I quickly stride towards our campus's bagel shop and step inside. No one's there. My heart sinks. Then, I hear Chen's voice. The store is within one of the School of Arts and Sciences' buildings so I assume they're deeper within the building. I follow the sound of his voice.

"Ean, I've already told you I'm not interested!" It's Chen, he's facing another guy, a brunette with a buzz cut and sharp pointed features.

"Why won't you? You're sleeping with him right? Why him and why not me?!" The brunette, Ean, says, his voice hoarse. 

"Ean, I'm not interested in sleeping with you! How many times to I have to tell you!" Chen throws his hands in the air.

"Is it cause I screwed up?"

"Argh! That might be part of why we broke up but that has nothing to do with now."

"Then why won't you?"

"Because I'm not interested in you! And more importantly I'm not even in a relationship with you right now!"

"Is it because of him?!" Ean steps towards Chen and grabs his arm.

"He is my boyfriend and he has nothing to do with you!" Chen yanks himself out of his grip. 

"He also has a name." I reply, stepping out from the shadows. Their heads whip towards me. The guy is scowling and emanating hostility while Chen looks torn, somewhere between embarrassment, anxiety, and relief. I stride towards them and stand protectively in front of him. I lock eyes with the guy for a moment, he glares at me, then looks away with a scoff. I turn to Chen.

"What did I say about calling me if you were in trouble?"

"I-" I examine his wrists and arms. They're slightly red where the guy grabbed him. My hand tightens into a fist. I turn sharply to face Ean, eyes narrowed and brow furrowed.

"Who is this Chen?" I ask, each word light but clearly enunciated.

"None of your business!" The guy retorts.

"I was asking Chen."

"He's...my ex." Chen replies, his voice just above a whisper. My fist tightens further.

"...Oh really? Then what is he doing here?" I ask although I basically heard the answer earlier.

"He..."

"I want to sleep with him. Why? Is that a crime? I mean, he was so eager before-" Ean grins nastily and before I have time to think about it I've taken two steps forward and let it rip. My tightened fist is let lose, making intimate contact with the guy's jaw. He bends down, clutching it.

"Ram!" Chen cries from behind me. I stand above Ean, glaring.

"Don't you ever bother Chen or me again." My voice is frigid. The guy tries to swing a punch back but I grab his arm. I give it a fierce squeeze and he yelps.

"No muscle here. You can't do anything with that." Then I push him back, walk to Chen, and pull him out of the building and into my car. The car is silent as I drive, my gaze determinedly forward. This time it's Chen taking peeks at me. Finally, he opens his mouth.

"...Ram?" I don't respond.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you trouble, I just..." The words come out in a rush.

I interrupt him. "Was he the one making those phone calls?" 

"...Yes."

"Why does he want to sleep with you?"

"I don't know. I-it was weird..."

"When did you guys last see each other?"

"Huh? Oh, like three months ago when we broke up." I feel something within me loosen. But then I furrow my brows.

"So then why did he suddenly start calling you?" Chen looks down, I glance at him.

"Well...I think he found out I was living with you and..."

"So he's still not over you?" My voice is cold.

"No! I mean, it's not me he's interested in just...my body. Even-even back then it was like that. He just wanted to sleep with me..." His voice grows smaller and smaller. I pull into our apartment but neither of us moves. It's silent for a moment. Then Chen opens his mouth.

"I'm sorry Ram..." His voice is teary. I sigh. Then I turn, lean over, and hug him across the seats.

"It's not your fault. Some people are just assholes like that. But remember, if he bugs you again you have to call me. And don't just go with him!"

"I know." Chen's voice is tiny. "But he keeps bugging me!" His voice is whiny.

This time it's my turn to say "I know."

"And I know he's not interested in me, he never was! It's just my body!"

"I know."

"What the heck! It's been three months why is he still bugging me!"

"I know."

"And why would he come to school!!!" 

"Yes, yes, let's get you inside..." Wasn't I supposed to be the jealous boyfriend? How did it become like this? I shake my head helplessly. 

"Humph! If I see him again I'll be the one punching him!"

"Yes, yes." Your arms are even thinner than his you know?

"I can!"

"I didn't say anything!"

"But you thought it!" I burst out laughing and Chen soon joins me. 

2