Chapter 26
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I can't find Chen. He's been gone all afternoon and he's not picking up. No one seems to know where he is. I've tried calling so many times, I don't know-"

"Alright buddy, calm down. Maybe he just muted his phone and forgot?"

"But where would he be?!" I demand pacing back and forth.

"I don't know man. Have you tried calling Mimi? It's probably not a big deal-"

"Normally it wouldn't be but after his ex showed up I don't know..."

"Alright, ok, have you checked with Mimi yet though?" 

"Yeah. Josh I'm not sure what to do."

I hear a sigh from the other end.

"Alright, I'll bring some people out to look for him. Where are you now?"

"Near north campus. I'm checking the surrounding stores."

"Ok, I'll meet you outside of the library." Click. I glance down at the phone and press my lips together. I look back up, ready to resume my search. Suddenly my phone starts ringing again, I glance back down, then freeze: Chen. 

I hurriedly pick up with an inhale, just as I'm about to speak I hear Chen's slightly muffled voice.

"So why do you want to jump from the Jay Building?" I freeze. What is he...? Then I hear Ean''s voice. 

"What do you mean why, I already told you! I have nothing aside from you!"

"But you only want my body! You don't even like me!"

"You just don't understand-" Click. The call cuts off. I'm tempted to call back but I pause. Jay Building...I'm on my way. Then I pause again. "Jump off...?" I'd better call the police just in case.

I rush towards the building while dialing 911. 

"Yes, hello? I think someone's about to commit suicide from the Jay Building..."

Within minutes I'm there and after shutting off the phone amidst the policewoman's questions, I rush inside...Elevator? No, too slow. I run to the stairs and start sprinting up. 

Sometime later, I reach the 88th and final floor, huffing and puffing. As I rush towards the door, I try to slow my breathing down in order to quieten it. I slowly slide the door open and peer through the crack. I'm met by a sight that makes my heart drop. Ean and Chen are facing each other at the very edge of the top of the building. I'm sorely tempted to rush forward and grab Chen but then that guy may...I mean, not that I care about him but it wouldn't be pleasant if he died from here while we watched. Furthermore what if, upon seeing me, he pulls Chen along with him? I feel a shiver go down my spine. 

"Ean, you're being ridiculous!"

"Am I? Ha!"

"Get back from here. You don't want to do this."

"How do you know that? How do you know anything about me?! You don't understand. You don't understand anything!" He roars, flinging his arms out in a frenzy of passion. Unfortunately, in that frenzy he trips, Chen throws himself forward grabbing him, and I dart forward barely catching Chen's shirt and barely managing to heave the two back. Chen looks back in surprise which soon morphs into relief. 

"You found me."

"I did. You made that phone call purposefully?"

"Yeah, I was looking for a good opportunity to covertly-"

"JUST LET ME GO!!!" The madman lying next to us rudely interrupts. "WHY DIDN'T YOU let me go!!!!!" His screaming morphs into sobbing. I frown and turn back to Chen.

"In the first place how did you get here?"

"Well I was at the Jay Building talking to one of my publishers. I suppose he followed me because he came to the roof and called me, threatening suicide."

"Seriously?"

"Yes, so I've been trying to reason with him this entire time." He closes his eyes and sighs.

"Well, why would he do this in the first place?" 

Chen shakes his head helplessly. "I don't know."

Soon the police arrive and we explain the situation to them. Leaving the sobbing fellow for them to deal with, Chen and I quickly escape back home. 

On the car ride back I suddenly turn to Chen. "So why did you ever go out with him?"

He opens and closes his mouth a couple times. Then finally replies, "I don't know either."

2