Chapter 27
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the whole Ean fiasco things have basically calmed down. However, today I'm about to face another, possibly scarier, trial in my life. I gaze at the tiny gray 262 plaque, inhale sharply, and push open the door. 

"You unfilial son! How could you do this!?" I startle only to realize that the words are coming from an I-pad Patti is clutching. Phew.

"Hi Patti." She glances up from the screen and upon seeing me, she smiles.

"Ramakrishnan." She's smiling, that's a good sign. 

"Hi Patti, how are you?"

"Good, good."

"What are you watching?"

"Oh..."

The conversation progresses smoothly. She seems fine...So I decide to prod the elephant in the room.

"Hey Patti, do you remember last week?"

"Hmm?"

"Um when I told you I like men..." I glance up, peeking at her and instantly my heart drops. She's expressionless.

"Um, Patti-"

"I don't understand you young people's things." She says turning away from me. 

"Oh, uh, okay, um well I uh made you some idli, would you like some?" She doesn't respond for a moment.

"Um, Patti-"

"Have you cooked so much that you think you're a woman now?" I pause, then stand speechless.

"Patti...it's not about feeling like a man or a woman. I like him, I really, really do. It's like in your Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Mihir wants to be with the poor Tulsi instead of the rich Payal or Dr. Mandira because he loves her right...?" I gaze at her, hoping she'll understand. She doesn't speak for several moments. Finally she says "where are the idlis?"

"Oh, here." I quickly pull them out. "I made them with vada and sambar just like you like..."

We spend the rest of the visit discussing the food, soap operas, a variety of other topics. We don't touch my love life. Finally, it's the end and I'm consolidating my things, preparing to leave.

"Ramakrishnan?" 

"Hmm?" I look up from my bag. Patti's face is turned away from me. 

"Bring him next time."

"Huh?" 

"That boy."

"What boy-" I pause. Then my face alights into a wide grin. I remain smiling on my way out and my excitement persists all the way until I reach home and head inside. 

"Chen!" He's sitting on the couch fiddling with his laptop. Upon hearing me, he glances up.

"Hmm?"

I walk straight to him and grab his shoulders.

"What?" His eyes are wide and he stares at me like I'm crazy.

"She said she wants you to visit her!" I cry shaking him, grinning from ear to ear.

"W-Who?"

"My grandma!"

His eyes widen even further. "R-Really?"

"Yeah! So next time I go you're coming with me!"

"Wait-wait! What do I need to bring? I need to bring gifts right? Wait-is she really okay with this? Isn't she upset that you're..."

I shrug. "A little but she understands or she will." I hug him. "I can't believe she said yes!" Then I still and pull away from him. "Hey, what about your family?"

"H-huh?" 

"When can I visit them? You said you have a sibling right? Boy or girl? And what do I-"

"Wait, wait, wait, wait!"

"What?" I look at him.

"That...maybe it's best if we just visit your grandma for now..."

"Why???"

"Well...um do you want some watermelon? I just bought some." I blink at the blatantly obvious attempt to change the topic. 

"...Sure." Chen doesn't want to talk about his family. I mean, I knew that there was something going on there and with what he mentioned at the speech but hmm...

2