Chapter 28
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, what are we watching?" Chen looks up at me as I come join him on the couch.

"It's called Minari." I reply, today was my turn to pick a movie. 

"Minari, that's..." 

"It's Korean. Minari itself is a type of water celery and the movie is named after it."

"Oh."

"A friend recommended it to me."

"Oh, is it a romance?"

"Nope. It's a family movie." I reply, selecting it in the menu.

"What, family movie-"

I click play, sit back, and lean next to Chen, wrapping an arm around him. 

"Just sit back and enjoy."

The movie is about a Korean family moving to the Midwest in search of the American dream. We watch as the family struggles through lack of water for their crops, their son's heart issues, the grandmother's stroke, and even a fire. The movie captures the beauty of life and family. After watching it, I switch the TV off and turn to Chen.

"How was that?" I ask him, smiling. His head is bowed, it's difficult to make out his expression.

"Chen-"

"Beautiful. It was beautiful. But Ram...I know why you had me watch that." His voice is quiet.

I blink. 

"What do you mean?"

He looks up slowly, his expression conflicted. "Ram, do you really think that by forcing me to watch a family movie about Asians it'll make me reconnect with my family?"

"What are you talking about?"

He sighs. "Ram, don't give me that. Please."

"It's just a movie about people searching for the American dream. Seriously. Besides they're Koreans, you're Chinese right?"

"Ram-"

"What?"

"This is just like the chips" he mutters quietly. 

"What?"

"I said you're a controlling, manipulative jerk, just like you were with the chips!" He grits out.

"What? I'm a jerk? Who won't even let me meet their family?!"

"You-Just because something doesn't go your way you have to manipulate everything around you so that it does!" 

"I'm not-" Chen abruptly stands and storms to his room. 

"And you have a habit of running away whenever you're uncomfortable with the situation!" I call to his back. 

Several moments later I groan. I stand up and glance towards Chen's room. The door is firmly shut. I glance down at the time, 12am. Forget it, I turn and head into my room, may as well go to bed

The next morning I step out of my room and glance at Chen's door. It's still firmly closed. I shut my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose. I walk over to Chen's door and softly knock.

"Chen?" No response, as expected. I try again. 

"Chen, can we talk, please?" Still no response. I run my fingers through my hair and grit my teeth.

"I'm sorry. What I did was totally uncalled for. I still believe in why I did it but-argh. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. Can we please, please talk?"

I plop to my knees. "I'm on my knees!" No response. "I can bang my head against the floor like you did to the general if you want!" I call out. Then, I really do it. Ow. I look up. No response. Why the hell did I do that? This is stupid, he doesn't even care. I'm about to get up when the door opens with a click. There stands Chen, in a fuzzy lime sweatshirt, eyebags, and a conflicted expression on his face.

"Let's talk."

We sit at the dining table, facing each other. Neither of us speaks. Finally, I open my mouth.

"I should not have done that yesterday. I acknowledge that, but I don't understand why you won't contact your family-"

"And how is that any of your business?" He coldly retorts.

"Well, because I'm your boyfriend! I do want to meet them. I care about you so I care about them as well."

Chen closes his eyes and sharply inhales. "They don't accept me being the way I am."

"Well my family didn't accept me being gay either, in fact my mother still won't talk to me. But that doesn't mean they hate me and that doesn't mean they can't change-"

"My family isn't like your family."

"Says you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" His voice is frosty.

"Well, I just mean that you have a tendency to see the real world as a novel..."

"What are you talking abou-"

"Like with the New York thing and my blind date. You immediately assumed the worst without confirming anything or discussing it with me." Chen stubbornly gazes past me at the counter behind me. 

I sigh. "Look, all I'm saying is that maybe your family won't react as badly as you think-"

"You don't know anything!"

"Right, I don't because you've never told me much." He doesn't respond. 

I sigh again, then I come up with an idea. "If it's your family I don't think they'll be as bad."

"What?" He blinks.

"Well, they gave birth to you, right?" His eyes narrow.

"If they gave birth to someone as cute as you they can't be all that bad."

His face instantly blooms scarlet and his mouth opens and closes several times. 

"You-" Unable to control myself, I chuckle.

"Don't tease me!"

"No teasing, I'm serious."

"You-you-" After a few minutes my laughter dies down. Chen is looking down, the blush has slowly faded.

Suddenly, I hear him say "I'll try." 

I hurriedly raise my gaze. "Really-"

"But don't push me. I'll try to talk to them on my own time. Okay?" He looks directly into my eyes.

"...Okay."

2