Chapter 13: Morning Surprise
421 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Fun fact: Every 'c' in 'Pacific Ocean' is pronounced differently.

Also, this chapter is all over the place. Have fun keeping up with abrupt POV switches.

A gruff, gravelly voice thrust the room into silence and made everyone reticent. The boy's stern and lifeless eyes glowered down at Luna as if she were nothing more than a foul insect in front of him. She had become nothing more than a shivering, newborn lamb by his overwhelming presence. I observe my granddaughters face and see she is overawed by the boy. She's even blushing a little. I'm expecting great-grandchildren now.

"...Listen, you," Luna stands her ground. "You can't just join an association. The positions were chosen last year by a vote among the previous members-"

"And where are these members, exactly?" Seraph spread out his arms and strolled around in the empty half of the office, showing how desolate it was. He sat down on the black leather sofa, crossed his legs, and spread out his arms over the back, further emphasizing how barren that half of the room was. His posture welcomed any futile attempts to object to his reasoning.

"We all had to go through the voting process," Luna challenges. "To think you can just waltz in here and-"

"Good point. Too bad I don't care." He immediately shuts down her argument with complete insouciance. "I'm helping Sol, whether I'm a member or not. Is that objectionable?" Luna could only let out a huffy breath in the face of the beast and turned back to Sol. 

"Well, then, Sol, what do you intend to do? The Blue Lily society members have all returned their ribbons. Do you really intend to compete in the Grande Vote without the backing of the Blue Lily Society?"

"Yes, of course," she nodded defiantly with newfound determination. Luna let out a sigh.

"...You've always been strong-willed... Seraph Thorne." She turned to the boy. 

"Hm?" He seemed very uninterested in whatever she had to say to him.

"I am against you, against boys, and against integration. I mean no offence, but I intend to get you out of here by the end of the first term. …Excuse me." With those clipped words, she began to march out of the office. But...

"You're not excused." The voice made Luna stop dead in her tracks. She looked over her shoulder, fearful. Seraph stood up from the couch and approached Luna with uneven steps, towering over her. "You think you can get rid of me with such a half-assed resolve? How is anyone supposed to take your words seriously when you can't even look at me?" Luna seemed to be shocked by his words. Was she avoiding looking at his face unconsciously? "Look me straight in the eyes and tell me that," he demanded. She glared straight up into the void, her fear overpowered by her determination.

"Seraph Thorne, I will get rid of you." With her resolved renewed, she marched out of the room, her footsteps ringing behind her. Sol turned to the Red Rose society and addressed a member.

"Belle Épine.1'Beautiful Thorn.' Rosalia's title. Mistranslated to 'Beautiful Briar Rose.'Do you feel the same way?" 

"...I would feel uncomfortable overturning the way things have always been... I don't particularly like the idea of having class with boys... well, I suppose that stands to reason, but still... I suppose that makes me a true traditionalist. In that regard, Luna and I are the same."

"I see..." 

"Will that be all, Madame Chairwoman?"

Ah. I forgot I was here. "Yes, I think so."

"Then, if you'll excuse me." The Red Rose members left one by one until it was just me, Sol, and hopefully my future grandson-in-law. 

"I suppose we'll be going as well. Salutations, grandmother."

"Yes, salutations." She leaves, and after giving me a courteous nod, Seraph follows out behind her. I can't help but giggle to myself. "Sol has certainly found herself a fine young man."


"Now, then. This will be quite difficult." Despite the words Sol tells me, I could sense a faint smile in her tone. "But I think it'll work out, somehow. We just need to work together." I don't know why - or even how - she can think that. Objectively speaking, things have gone from bad to worse in a second. But she seems to be confident, and she knows more about this stuff than I do. I don't see anything wrong in placing my faith in her. I'm sure that if Sol did everything she could, things would work out. There's no reason for me to do any of the heavy thinking and mess things up.


In the student council room, the always smiling Marie had heard the events of the meeting from Luna. "...I really was surprised," Luna was telling her. "I never thought she would try it alone." 

Maire let out a giggle. "She isn't known as Soleil De École2'Sun of the School.' Sol's titlefor nothing, after all."

"...But I'm afraid Sol is going to lose this time. You can't win an election without officers backing you."

"Yes, that is true."

"But... just for safety's sake, I believe I should drop out as head of the Red Rose society."

"What do you mean?"

"...It is true that Sol is more popular than I am."

"Oh, don't say that. You're very charming, Luna." Her words were ignored.

"I think that Rosalia would do better as had of the society. There's no rule against a freshman leading a society, after all."

"That is true."

"Belle Épine's popularity is equal to Sol's. If she were to lead the society, our victory would be assured."

"Have you spoken to Rosalia about it?" Luna fell silent for a moment.

"...I don't believe she'll refuse."

"You are certainly correct."

"...Marie... please tell me just one thing," Luna says sheepishly, clearly worried. Marie just keeps smiling.

"What is it? You know you can ask me anything."

"Marie... what do you think? About the reforms they're proposing..." 

She thinks for a second. "Luna, do you know what I treasure more than anything in this world?" Luna shakes her head in embarrassment. "Maintaining the peace of Vincennes. That is because I am La Grande Soeur de Toute.3'Everyone's Big Sister.' The title given to the student council president, Marie Monette. So, at this moment, I believe the first thing to do is to determine the sample's character. Would you come with me, Luna?"

"Y-Yes, ma'am!" She says, overjoyed.


Oh boy, it's April 5. That means it's fifteen more days until my birthday, the one day of the year I get to treat myself to the five-dollar chocolate mud cake that's sold in grocery stores. What's more, the school even gave me a sweatshirt and sweatpants for pyjamas. Now I don't have to stink up my tracksuit every day by wearing it 24/7.

"Hm?" I just thought I heard two knocks at my door... That can't be it though, it's 5:30 AM. I hear another two knocks on the door. That's definitely a knock at the door. Who is it at this hour? I sit up from the coffee table I was studying at and answer the door. As soon as I open the door, two people pass through me into my room.

"Salutations," says Marie, with a smile.

"Salutations," says Luna, out of courtesy.

"Can I help you?" says me, dumbfounded. They really did just barge into my room during nautical twilight, huh? 

"Forgive me," Marie smiles at me. "I thought it would be best to come early so as not to upset the Filles De La Vincennes."4Girls/Maidens of Vincennes.But it's okay to upset me while I'm in the middle of studying? 

"So, what do you want?"

"Please allow us to search your room," Luna asks, looking me straight in the eyes.

"...What?"

"I have heard that boys often carry 'forbidden objects.' We wish to check for them."

"I could never afford any weapons and I have a personal vendetta against drugs and alcohol."

"W-Well," Luna stutters, turning red. "I'm referring to... you know... p-pornography... h-how could you make me say it?!"

"I didn't make you say anything. You don't have to worry about porn, either. I can't afford it and the guardienne checked my belongings when I first moved in, so-"

"I cannot believe you," Marie cuts me off, smiling.

"...What?"

"I cannot believe you until I see it with my own eyes," she tells me, still smiling. It's very unsettling. "Well, then. Remove your pyjamas."

. . .

"...What?"

"You may have something in your pockets." I turn out my pockets, showing nothing. 

. . .

. . . . . .

She's still smiling at me. I look over at Luna. She's looking down, blushing furiously. "It's not as if I've asked you to take off your underwear," Marie says, thinking it's a valid argument. I only take off my sweatshirt. I still have a t-shirt underneath, but it's short-sleeved. My arms are covered in scars, cigarette burns, self-inflicted scratch marks and the remnants of road rash that covers my entire left arm. I futilely cover the large burn with my other arm.

"This is all I'm willing to do."

"Very well," Marie says, without even the slightest change in her expression. On the other hand, Luna is clearly unsettled and looking at me in a mixture of horror and pity. I see her eyes becoming a little moist the more she looks at me. "Now leave the room," Marie continues. "We cannot search your room while you are still here. We'll call you when we're finished, so take this phone. Now leave." Marie pressed a cell phone into my hand and forced me out of the room. She closed the door behind me, and I could hear it lock. 

"...What?"


"Is it okay for us to send him out in the hallway like that?" Luna asks, reduced to a bundle of nerves.

"I fail to see the problem," Marie says with a smile. 

"What? But... Didn't you see... We can't leave him outside like that..."

"Luna. Don't you know the most important thing? First, the question of whether the sanctity of the room has been maintained. He will not catch cold being shirtless outside for less than an hour." But... he's not even shirtless... Luna thinks to herself. "The Gospels say that it is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. That goes more so for one that carries unsavoury objects. Now, Luna, we have little time, so we must begin searching."

"...Yes..." she obediently obeys. But behind Marie's back, Luna picks up the sweatshirt from off the ground. She opens the door, hoping to find Seraph nearby somewhere. He was sitting on the floor against the wall, with his arms tucked into his shirt so others wouldn't see his arms. "Here," she says, tossing him his shirt. He looked up at her in surprise, and an awkward, appreciative smile spread across his face. 

"Thank you."

14