Chapter 20: Cuteness Obtained
364 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Fun fact: In the Pixar movie 'Up,' Carl and Ellie break into their Paradise Falls savings to pay for Carl's medical bills. This is a subtle nod to the fact that the American healthcare system is literal trash.

The next day...

"Really. I'm at a loss. I am at a complete and utter loss for words." The headmistress is scolding Chloe and I. Again. She's understandably a lot harsher this time around. The chairwoman seemed to have predicted she would be since she was here from the start. "I give you a strict warning, yet the next day you repeat yourselves! For heaven's sake. Chloe, Seraph, I cannot overlook this a second time. You will both receive three days' house arrest." 

"N-Now, now, Madame Headmistress..." the chairwoman speaks up, clearly not confident about how she can dig me up out of this hole. 

"We cannot tolerate this any longer, Madame Chairwoman." The headmistress is clearly not having it. 

"...It is true that on the surface, a slap to the cheek is quite a disruptive display, but..." The chairwoman is desperately trying to come up with a valid excuse. I'm so sorry, ma'am. "You must agree that catfights are not uncommon among the Filles De La Vincennes."1Girls/Maidens of Vincennes. 

"It is a matter of degree," the headmistress rebuts. 

"It is not a matter of degree," the chairwoman rebutted her rebuttal. "Madame Headmistress, I recall you once saw the back of your hand scratched and lamented how slow it was to heal." Woah! The chairwoman managed to develop such a valid argument on the spot!

"...I do not feel it necessary to bring up ancient history here," the headmistress says through grounded teeth. Her cheeks flushed a little in embarrassment. 

"But the fact that things never change is one of Vincennes' most distinct characteristics," the chairwoman continues her attack. "This is part of that. In any event, compare scratch marks to a slap mark. There is no question of which will heal faster." The chairwoman delivers the decisive blow, and the headmistress succumbs.

"...Very well," she reluctantly resigns. "However, this will be the last time. Next time I will give you a suitable punishment, regardless of the chairwoman's words. Leave."

"Yes, ma'am," Chloe and I say simultaneously and obey her orders. This went much more smoothly than last time, and I didn't even need to say anything.

"...Hey, Miss Chloe..." I turn to Chloe in an attempt to get some answers. "...Miss Chloe?" Just as it had been the last time we met, she completely shut me off and just left.


It was evening, and Sol and I were speaking in the recreation room as we had done two days ago. Today, there was some soft piano music playing in the background through some speakers. It was a very nice touch.

"It's so strange..." Sol was telling me. "Even watching the display, I had a number of questions myself. It seemed to me that your conversation was proceeding normally. At least, you did nothing that would provoke her so. And yet... I wonder what Chloe could have been thinking?" You and me both, Sol. Chloe was giving me the silent treatment, and this time, I didn't have the slightest idea of what I had done wrong. The night she had slapped me, I mulled over what had happened while tapping away at the keys on the piano. That always cleared my mind and allowed me to think straight, but I still couldn't grasp what I did to make her so angry. 

Sol and I were sitting together in silence when we heard a hesitant knock on the door. The door slowly opened, and Sapphire appeared with Painmangeur on her shoulder in the doorway. "So this is where you were," she says, spotting Sol and I in the corner near the piano. 

"Oh, Sapphire," Sol acknowledges her.

"Salutations," Sapphire says, walking up to us with a smile.

"Salutations," Sol greets. "To you, too, Painkuu." 

Painmangeur lets out a 'Kuu' in greeting.

"Ah... might I join you?" Sapphire timidly asks. "I wish to speak with you regarding Chloe."

"Of course," Sol permits. "We were just talking about yesterday's events."

"I see. Then I've come at an appropriate time," she says, sitting down in a chair opposite to Sol. 

"There is so much that Seraph and I fail to understand about her behaviour," Sol explains. "Do you feel the same way, Sapphire?"

"Yes..." Sapphire admits, with a hint of pity in her voice. "Ah... I feel I must apologize to you, Seraph."

Piano music stops. My gut sinks.

"...What did you do?" I ask her apprehensively. 

"The first time that Chloe struck you, I believed that you had wronged her somehow. However... with the shock of the incident passing, I realized that my conclusion was an overhasty one. Then, yesterday, because Sol was with you..."

"What?" Sol speaks up at the mention of her name. "Me?"

"Yes, you," Sapphire confirmed. "Sol seemed to know the situation and was still accompanying you, Seraph. What I am saying is that I realized that your situation must be sympathetic."

"That's very insightful," Sol says to her. "You've always been very wise, Bijou Bleu."2'Blue Jewel.' Sapphire's title.

I had no idea. From what I've seen of Sapphire, she acts so vapidly and vacant. It seems she was quite observant under that quiet and gentle exterior of hers. But she did think I was a severed head when we first met, so I'm not really sure. 

"I'm sorry that I continue to disturb your playing," Sapphire apologizes to me. "But would you explain to me the particulars of the situation as well?"

"Sure," I tell her…Wait, what? "I'm sorry, what did you say you were interrupting?" I ask her in alarm. She tilted her head to me in confusion.

"Your piano playing," she plainly states. I stare at her in blank confusion. I turn to Sol.

"Have I been playing the piano this entire time?" I ask her.

"Huh?" She's perplexed by my question. "You didn't know?"

I guess I really was. I feel an inexplicable heat flood my cheeks, and I frantically look around the room to see if anyone else had heard me playing. I see my tiny neighbour sitting curled up in a chair in the adjacent corner of the room. She had an open novel in her hands, but she was looking straight at me. When our eyes met, she hops out of the chair and dashes out of the room like a scared bunny. It looks like Sol and Sapphire didn't even notice that she was here or that she even left just now.

"Whatever, I'll explain," I say, trying to hide my embarrassment. I'm beginning to lose touch with reality. I seriously need to get better sleep.

One quick recap later, and...

"I see..." Sapphire utters after my explanation. 

"And Seraph's concerns proved well-founded," Sol tells her. "The 'Goons'... did you call them? The two of them are indeed quite dangerous." I think Sol believes that there are only two of them. The Goons are an entire organization, but I don't bother correcting her. It seems like she'll only be frightened for me. "Ah," Sol lets out a pained sigh and holds her head in her hand. "But when I think back on that incident, I cannot help but feel regret..." 

"...Why...?" I ask her fearfully. I really shouldn't have.

"Your lottery ticket."

"Please don't remind me!" I beg her on the verge of tears. It still hurts. "I told you to forget about it!"

"Even so-"

"No!" I cut her off. 

"I believe..." Sapphire jumps into our little quibble. "It was an unavoidable situation." 

"Don't you think?" Sol says in agreement. "But then, what caused Chloe to fly into such a rage." They're talking about my reason for abandoning Chloe. I panicked for a moment, thinking that they were saying that losing my ticket was an unavoidable situation. I was going to cry if that were the case. 

"Remember," Sapphire says. "Yesterday's events occurred before Seraph offered her a proper explanation."

"Ah, yes," Sol mutters. "That is true."

"I have felt a certain concern about Chloe for some time," Sapphire admits.

"Why's that?" I ask, leaning forward. As I did, Sapphire slumped in her chair.

"You do appear very worried about her," Sapphire smiles at me.

"Is that so wrong?"

"Chloe certainly did seem surprised to learn about your flight..." Sapphire says, changing the subject. "But whyever did you hide it?"

I thought I had already explained this point, but I'll explain it again.

"I didn't want to worry her. I've met her parents before, and they're good people who helped me. I didn't want to put them through that, either. Plus, my dad is a con artist. I was certain that if they took pity on me, he'd get them involved in it. So I decided I'd never mention money to them. It would only cause Chloe and her parents trouble... Miss Sol? Why are you glaring at me?" She's been doing that for a while now.

"Oh, do forgive me," she says flatly. "My eyesight is rather poor, so I have a habit of squinting from time to time."

"Oh... I'm sorry... I should've known..." I'm a failure for not noticing sooner. It's pretty obvious, now that she mentions it. Sol has light blue eyes, and lighter-coloured eyes have less melanin in the iris to protect against the ultraviolet radiation that the sun emits. She's exposed to the sun a lot, and I haven't seen her wear sunglasses at all. She must have cataracts or is suffering from macular degeneration. And at such a young age, too... How sad... It doesn't look like she is, though.

"The source of my anxiety, though," Sapphire steers the conversation back on topic. "Is the way that Chloe is treated as a tourist." 

"Can one of you please tell me what the term 'tourist' means here at Vincennes?" I ask. Actually, I borderline demand it. At my question, the two girls exchanged a troubled glance. 

"That's right..." Sol mutters. "I suppose the meaning wouldn't be immediately clear... Do you remember that I explained to you how Vincennes' education begins with Primary Course? The majority of students here begin with Primary Course. You occasionally get students who enter in Intermediary, but very few, if any, at Final. So... they have a hard time fitting in. In addition, Vincennes has a distinct atmosphere. I'm sure you've already noticed. Beginning from Intermediary, one can fit in eventually... but it's difficult for the Final Coursers... I wish to change that tendency as well. That is another part of my desire for co-education."

"I feel the same way," Sapphire states. "I cannot say that I was always aware of the problem. However, since befriending Chloe, I have noticed a powerful sense of discrimination towards her. There is no connection between one's period of enrolment and one's character that I can see. And yet, we act as though there were. I just believe this is small-minded..." 

"That's exactly right!" Sol almost yells, jubilant. "I'm so glad to hear that you agree with me, Sapphire. Oh, that's right," Sol clapped her hands together, showing that she had come up with a great idea. "Sapphire, would you be willing to work with us as an affiliate of the Blue Lily society?" 

Sapphire is a little taken back by the sudden suggestion but responds almost immediately. "Though I don't know how much help I will be, I will gladly participate."

"Kuu! Kuu!" Painmangeur joyfully agrees to help as well. All will submit to Painmangeur's cuteness, and the Blue Lily society will reign supreme over Vincennes as long as Painmangeur wills it.

"Thank you," Sol expresses her most heartfelt gratitude, and the two girls shake hands. The Blue Lily society has officially acquired its first affiliate. And also Sapphire, I guess. Painmangeur offers me his paw from atop Sapphires' shoulder, and I grasp it firmly to shake it. I shook hands with Sapphire, as well. Once it was finished, Sapphire stared at her hand in disbelief. 

"This... is the first time I've ever touched a man's skin," she confessed. 

"It's just a handshake," I tell her.

"That is true," she says with a smile. This minor exchange left me wondering; did she not have a father? If she did, did he never hold her? Not even when she was young? Maybe I'm just reading to much into this. I hope so. "Anyway, to return to the point..." she continues. "Chloe has been wounded many times since entering this school, and it may have affected her thinking such that she misunderstood your words. That is what I believe." 

"Oh... I see..." I unintentionally mutter. I remember the incomplete thought she had expressed to me before slapping me a second time. She must've thought that I hid the matter of my debt from her because she believed that I believed she was faithless. It didn't occur to me that she'd ever think that since the Chloe I knew was so upbeat and positive. But I'm not dealing with the Chloe I knew. I'm dealing with the new one. The one I don't know anything about because the influence of the school had changed her. But now that I know what she's thinking, I should be able to have a proper conversation with her. I at least want to make things right with her before she cuts me out of her life. 

"I'll talk to her again tomorrow," I tell Painmangeur and the girls.

"Yes, please do your best," Sapphire cheered me on. "After all, you pledged yourself to each other once."

"What?! Y-You did?!" Sol yells at me incredulously.

"It's the first I'm hearing about it!" I tell her and turn to face Sapphire. "Where'd that idea even come from?"

"...Am I wrong?" she asks. "That is what I assumed it meant to be childhood friends."

"You're wrong," I tell her flatly. "The term doesn't have any underlying implications at all. It's supposed to be taken at face value." I couldn't decide if Sapphire was intelligent or daft. It just goes to show that being intelligent and being knowledgeable doesn't necessarily mean the same thing. The inner workings of her mind are a mystery to me.

"L-Look at me... I'm so flustered," Sol says, fanning her red face with her hand. 

"I apologize for startling you," Sapphire says.

"Th-That's what I meant. I'm so startled."

I couldn't quite grasp what the difference was between 'flustered' and 'startled.' I mean, it's just semantics at that point. 

"Ahem." Sol clears her throat. "...Well, Seraph, I believe you should go by yourself this time. Please, inform us of the results."

"Right." I'll do it. Tomorrow. And also not in class. Just in case. 

12