Chapter Five: Sudden Encounters
1.1k 2 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lady Catherine is the younger sister of Lady Edith, the first concubine of King Julius II. Even though her influence is not big enough to be considered a threat to the majority of the noble families, they all like to be on her good side since she is well known for being a spender. Catherine likes to waste the money her sister gives her lustfully, holding big balls and buying the most expensive items on the market. She is foolish but her way of living is extremely appealing to me.

 

The grand doors open and a bright light blinds my eyesight for a couple of seconds.

"Lady Ophelia Criswell and Lord Mace Wharton," a skinny man with a loud voice spoke our names and the nobles froze in place. Right before they were able to think properly they had already been engulfed by curiosity and bewitched by the unknown.

The room was filled with surprised faces as their eyes sparkled with desire.

Mace leads me down the big red stairs and soon enough the nobles regain their senses. Gossips begin wandering around and I could easily understand their contents, however, I ignored them and headed right into the center of the ball, where Amanda was standing, looking horrified, almost as if she had just seen a ghost.

"My dear sister... I missed you so much," her complexion turned pale as she heard my words. She had lost this battle, even though our dresses were the same the eyes were all on me. 

'How does it feel... sister?' a feeling of euphoria overjoyed me.

"Ophelia... Indeed it has been a while..." her mumbling voice hid her embarrassment as she tried to keep her posture while addressing me. She knew she couldn't create a scene, not with this many people watching. 

"Lady Ophelia, you look absolutely stunning," of course, a threat is never alone, it always brings friends.

"Lord Bradley, it has been a while. I take you've been well?" a polite smile covered the annoyance in my words.

"Of course my lady. You look exceedingly beautiful today," Bradley bows and smirks as he kisses the back of my hand.

"Lord Bradley, you are too kind," he lifts his body and I notice Amanda's disappearance as Mace was talked with some rich aristocrats.

"Would you give me the honor of this dance?" he bows once again and, as I felt everyone's glare on me, I had no choice but to accept.

He escorted me to the dance floor and I could feel my emotions brewing, soon they would pop out of their little box. I hated being around Bradley and if I could, I would erase his existence entirely.

'That might not be a bad idea,' I chuckle at this thought but soon refrain to show any other type of emotions.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

"Thank you so much, Lady Ophelia, it was a very pleasant dance. Would you accompany me to a walk in the garden?" his charming smile continues to annoy me and soon my patience snaps.

"Lord Bradley, you are indeed an angel, just like the rumors said."

"I didn't know there were such rumors," he acts humble and I understand he was trying to get on my good side.

"My, don't say such things. Of course, you are well aware, you are the angel of this kingdom, isn't that right?" after seeing my cold smile he frowns, raising his guard.

"Lady Ophelia... That's..." as he begins to speak I rudely interrupt him after the thin strand of patience I had left, broke loose. 

"I must warn you that when angels lose their wings they fall... A big, hurtful and dreadful fall... Lord Bradley," I whisper and glare at his dumbfounded expression with my icy eyes right before placing some distance between us, "I'm so tired... I'm so sorry Lord Bradley, you will have to find another partner for the next dance..." I speak obnoxiously loud just to catch the attention of the several young ladies at the ball. Just like fools, they went straight into my trap and, a couple of seconds after, Bradley was swarmed by women. A smile covered my lips as his eyes focused on me while portraiting his true feelings: anger and annoyance.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

"Feeling down my lord?" I approach a man whose mind was absent. Of course, I knew exactly who this man was: Layton Verne, my second fiancé-to-be.

His curly ginger hair sparkled with the warm light coming from the ballroom and his hazelnut eyes were swollen. He had been crying.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there my lady! I'm Layton Verne, you are?" startled and with messy moves, he bows down after introducing himself.

"I'm Ophelia Criswell, it is lovely to meet you, my lord," I reply to his politeness as I pull the hem of my dress and lean my body slightly downwards.

"Did you come to get some air?" his speech was still the same.

'Stupid old Layton,' I thought as I was reminded of his naiveness.

 

In my 2nd life, when I married into Verne's family I was treated warmly until Layton eloped. Even then I learned that they were only forcing themselves to put up with me since Amanda had married into the Trace family. That's the only reason why they didn't abandon me on the streets somewhere or left me alone. To them, I was nothing more than a stepping stone in order to improve their status.

Personally, I don't blame Layton. His father is a tyrant, having several mistresses and owing a lot of dirty money. In fact, Marquiss Verne is like a wild weed that needs to be removed from this society at all costs. I know that he does businesses with neighboring kingdoms illegally and he even managed to open an exclusive club where you can easily buy drugs. He is truly, a very kind and thoughtful man, once he is dead, that is.

'I won't live enough to be bothered though,' I regain my senses and notice that Layton is troubled, anxious to leave.

"I don't know what might be weighing down your heart my lord but talking about it might help," Layton is taken aback by my warmth and I could see that, by the way he looked at me, I was almost entering into his heart.

 

Layton Verne is a man who has never known kindness. His older brother mistreated him while his father looked down on him. At the same time, his younger brothers mocked him due to his lack of skills on the battlefield and for his naiveness. It was only when he met that merchant's daughter that he understood the warmth of compassion.

'I can't blame him for wanting to get away though,' it was a painful thought but it harbored the truth. No matter what, I couldn't bring myself to loath Layton.

"You must've heard the rumors right? About me being cursed? What a silly question... Everyone has," I let out a sigh as I see his confused expression, "My point is, I am hated by everyone and I have no friends. If you want to confide in someone there is no better bet than me," I painfully smile and as his eyes show compassion I knew he was in my hands.

"Thank you, Lady Ophelia," he smiles at me with his pinkish lips right before leaving to the ballroom once again.

 

"This is... Ecstatic," I laugh as my hands come in contact with the cold handrail.

Everything was going just like how I had planed it. Playing the victim card on that kind-hearted boy was indeed the best move.

'How smart can someone be?' I was indeed proud. Of course, I already knew what affected Layton, he is a man who was always guided by kindness, he naively believes everyone as long as they mimic the beautifully cute, yet deceiving teary puppy eyes. 

"Ophelia," quickly I turn around to see Amanda with two other noble ladies, Patricia Hillgarden and Holly Statton both daughters of vassals of our house. Slowly I grab a glass of champagne that was staying at a small table.

'Well, the second part of the show has begun,' I smile politely at her as I analyze my surroundings. Amanda always thought she was superior but that was her biggest flaw since everyone knew it, including me.

She heads towards me and, as she was about to slap me out of frustration, I grab her hand and push it down harshly on the cold handrail making her moan in pain.

"If you come any closer I will break her wrist," I state as I notice the two dogs approaching me. They freeze in their spot as they were unsure of their next move.

I spilled the champagne on her hand as it dripped down to her wrist and smiled.

"We wouldn't want your wound to get infected, right sister?" I wanted to hurt her, I wanted her to suffer, and as she looked at me confused and fearful I only felt my desires grow stronger.

"W-What do you mean?" her voice was stuttering as she started to understand the position she was in. 

'Ignorant bitch...' I thought as I saw her tearful eyes. She was scared, fearful, and regretful for mistreating me at this precise moment, however, I knew this was only temporary since, once she is safe, these feelings will be nothing other than memories of a long nightmare. 

"Did you know that if I pierce you here you will die in less than a minute?" I place the bottom of the glass on her exposed wrist and tighten my grip making her expression flinch, "Let's see if you can come back to life to avenge yourself... Let's make you cursed too!" a psychotic laugh escapes as her complexion turns pale.

I break the glass onto the handrail causing a couple of small cuts in my hand right before placing the broken handle of the glass against her bare skin.

"N-No sister... Please... I am sorry... Please don't...." as I applied a little bit more pressure she gasped in pain.

"If you treasure your life you will leave me the fuck alone, are we clear?" I could feel her hand tremble on my grasp as her eyes saw mine turn sour.

'I will let you go... for now,' I remove my hand and she falls onto the floor while the tears she had been holding back begin pouring down from her eyes. Her frail body was trembling slightly as her soul was compelled by pure frustration. 

Quickly I lick my hand to remove the remnants of blood from the small cuts while focusing my attention on the two noble ladies. Their complexions were pale and being the hypocrites that they were, they understood my threat clearly.

"Make sure to remember me, sister, I am always eager to meet you!" I state right before entering the ballroom once again with a cold smile on my face.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

As I approached the several nobles and aristocrats that surrounded Mace I heard everything the wolves had to tell me. They didn't see me as a human being since they thought I was a useless puppet that had been sold to the Wharton's duchy to become a monster's wife.

'All of them know how bad Terrel's temperament is but yet they do nothing,' I despise these people more than words can describe.

"Lord Mace, I am feeling unwell so I will head back first," I manage to catch Mace leaving to grab a drink yet he stops and gives me a concerned smile.

"Let's go then," after grabbing his arm we head towards the carriage and somehow bump into Amanda who was entering her own ride.

"Isn't that your sister? She looks unwell."

"Yes, Lord Mace. She must have an upset stomach, she is a very frail girl after all," Mace noticed the malice in my words but didn't pursue it further, however, something was bothering me.

When I saw Amanda enter her carriage she had a deep cut on her right cheek and I wasn't the one that created it. Even though I didn't care much about my elder sister that situation upset me since it made me feel aware of my position. I might be the Duke's daughter but I am still weak compared to other nobles since, at the end of the day, I am nothing more than a bargaining chip without an ounce of respect from others. 

'I have to be on my guard,' I concluded as we both got inside the carriage.

During the travel, I noticed that Mace kept on glancing at me, especially at my hand that had some small coagulated blood spots on it. He didn't mention the situation since he knew he wouldn't get anything from me.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

「 A couple of moments earlier 」

As Amanda left the balcony after being abandoned by Patricia and Holly she crashed against a man whose short hair was just like wildfire and whose dark blue eyes were sharp as a knife. His jawline was defined as a painting and his tanned skin tone made him look like a foreigner. Dazzled by the man's beauty she kept quiet as he glared down at her.

"Such impertinence," his rough voice was nowhere near kind or warm, it was cold and sharp as if he was the owner of the world. That's when Amanda understood who this man was.

"Amanda Criswell greets your highness the crown prince!" immediately she kneels but gets no reply from Blake Virden, the first son of the current king.

"You may rise," after a couple of minutes of silence his voice echoes and she gets back on her feet once again.

"Aldrich, punish her. Nobles should know their place," his cold gaze hurt more than the slap she received from his servant.

Amanda had heard the rumors that surrounded the crown prince, he had been blessed with good looks, however, his personality is rotten to the core. They say that during the war Blake had killed everyone, indiscriminately, not caring about their age, sex, or worth. To him, they were only disturbances in his way so they had to be removed.

As she fell on the floor from the strength of the slap, the prince left with his servants, ignoring her well-being, almost as if she was nothing more than an eyesore. They had gone there to talk with Lady Catherine and unfortunately, Amanda just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

'Indeed, Bradley is the one for me,' she thought as she got up steadily before covering her bruised cheek. 

As she walked towards her carriage she began to understand the harsh reality. She was nothing but a rabbit in a wolf's den. Blake's cold eyes reminded her of Ophelia and her aura and she finally realized how stupid she had been.

When rumors began circulating around town that the Crown Prince had returned from the war, Amanda was thrilled, to say the least. She was curious to see who was this man that held the interest of so many maidens and now, after seeing him, she knew he was no man. A brain tainted with blood and a heart covered by hatred is what Blake kept hidden while in plain sight. 

As she spots Ophelia walking beside Mace, Amanda freezes in her shoes momentarily. She could stand the humiliation she had put her through, after all, a dress was only a dress, however, she couldn't forget how Bradley focused his attention on her. Her heart was wavering, without understanding who to hate: her sister for stealing her fiancé or Bradley for showing his displeasure towards his fiancée. 

'How foolish...' a faint yet painful smile appeared on her lips.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

「 After the Ball, at the Criswell's estate 」

"Father!" Amanda's loud voice disturbed the Duke's meeting with a man covered in black clothes and a white mask. Unsettled the Duke ordered the man to leave.

"What is it, Amanda? Weren't you in Lady Catherine's ball?" he sounded flustered and mad almost as if the presence of his daughter in the mansion that night was a burden.

After everything that happened Amanda was certain that she needed to take action, her little sister had to be in pure misery so that Amanda could regain Bradley's affection. That was her biggest wish, surpassing any expensive clothes or jewelry.

"Ophelia was there! She... She dared to use the same dress I wore! I was humiliated!" Amanda's eyes were on the verge of tearing up but Alvin was indifferent since, to him, this was nothing but the usual tantrum's his daughter used to pull.

"I understand you are upset my child but we can't be hasty..." keeping his head cool, the Duke spoke as if this matter didn't imply any further problems.

"Bradley had his first dance with Ophelia and ignored me as well. We have to do something Father!" the Duke cracked his quill as his eyes widen in surprise.

"What did you just say?" he thought he had heard wrong. Bradley was interested in Ophelia? That was something that couldn't happen. Both weddings had been settled and there was no way he would send his eldest daughter to the filthy hands of Terrel Wharton.

"She even threatened to kill me! We have to punish her somehow!" Amanda kept on applying pressure on her father even though his ideas were already set.

"Yes... We have to do something. Tomorrow I will talk to Duke Trace, we will move up the wedding," Amanda's face lit up at her father's words.

'I need to take care of that brat... She is underage so I can't move up her wedding to Terrel yet... This needs to be well considered,' the Duke thought as he looked at Amanda's thrilled expression.

It wasn't the vengeance she was looking for but if she could have Bradley only to herself she would be happy enough, for now.

 

Hello dear friends! Small life update: I will be away for a week but I've already scheduled the upcoming chapters. Every two days until the 14th of April a new chapter will be posted. I am not sure if I will be able to reply to your comments but once I get back I will be sure to check them all and reply to them properly! Also, since I won't write during this week it is natural that after the 14th of April, the chapters take a little bit more time to be posted. Thank you for understanding and if you celebrate it... Happy Easter /(˃ᆺ˂)\

43