Chapter Twenty Nine: Playing the Saint
532 12 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

「 Some hours later 」

"Milady I cannot let you enter the palace grounds without an invitation," the guard states respectfully.

Ophelia was back and was being prevented from entering its grounds.

"Of course, that's why I want to ask for an audience with the crown prince," she asserts with a polite smile.

"Can she do that...?" the second guard whispers to the first one.

"Alright milady," the guard turns to his colleague, "Go inform our superior."

Neither of the soldiers was sure if they were allowed to do this but they couldn't exactly ignore the request of a daughter of a Duke. After almost an hour and a half, Aldrich arrives just to see Ophelia standing in the same situation once again.

"Lady Ophelia, what might you be doing here?" Aldrich smiles coldly.

"Mister, she's been standing here for the last hour..." the guard whispers and the aide's eyes widen in surprise.

'A noble lady has been...?' he looked at her expression, her eyes were red and held slight bags under her eyes, however, her posture was flawless. She looked exhausted but, even then, she was unbothered by having to stand for so long. Without making a scene she stood there, glamorously so.

"May I invite you for a cup of tea milady?" Aldrich decides to be polite, after all, she was one of the nicest and well-mannered guests the castle had received. The majority of the time the nobles throw tantrums like they were nothing more than kids who had lost their favorite toy.

"I would be honored," she smiles politely and manages to enter the palace grounds.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

"What brought you here milady?" Aldrich asks me kindly as he pours warm tea on my cup.

"An injustice mister," his eyes widen as he hears my words. Conflicted, he furrows his eyebrows.

"Milady, I'm sorry but I need you to explain your words?" I stretch my hand and deliver him the letter Earl Hillgarden had written, "Oh my... This is problematic."

"As you can see, an injustice has been made," I let out a sigh, "Poor Milly... I wanted to expose this situation to the crown before it was too late..."

"Indeed... Please give me a moment milady, I will return with news," Aldrich leaves the room abruptly.

'Now we wait,' I chuckle as I watched the chess pieces move.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

As Aldrich walked down the halls in a rush he kept on thinking about the whole day. Everything looked too convenient and too convincing.

'So she went to see her first and now the Earl wants to remove his claim?' he kept on trying to puzzle the pieces back together but things were never as easy as they seem.

The thing about the high class that Aldrich was overly familiar with was that no one showed their true intentions, all the smiles were just a facade to hide the arsenal of knives one held, while tears were nothing more than just a way to gain favor among the men. He knew that very well since, throughout the years he had dealt with every type of noble but somehow, he couldn't figure out the intentions of this crow-haired girl.

'What exactly is she after...?' the aide knew that everything was connected. The events at the tea party and Millicia's claimed innocence. It was all extremely weird as if they had been planned beforehand.

"Your highness, I'm afraid I have unsettling news," after entering the prince's room he is greeted with a glare.

"Speak," Blake was in a sour mood today, for some reason he had been so for the past days.

Aldrich thought it was due to the heavy work he had been put under. Currently, there had been extra pressure from the other kingdoms and the peace treaties were beginning to fade as their greed grew higher. News of the instability within the crown didn't help. It was as if everything was happening now, simultaneously.

"Lady Ophelia Criswell is asking for an audience with your highness," he states softly, in a futile attempt of not angering the prince.

'Ophelia? Is it about him?' Blake was reminded of that day, where he met her "loving" fiancé and her gorgeous light blue eyes tainted by fear. Every time he thought about her, a feeling of annoyance grew within him and he was tired of it, 'She has to deal with it herself, you learn from harsh experiences' that's how he had learned everything in his life. The things he had learned were through a lot of effort and that's how he became so strong.

Blake hated weakness and, every time he thought of Ophelia he was reminded of those weak blue eyes and body that shivered with the attempt of touch of that man. He couldn't stand it. Even if, deep down, he didn't know exactly what bothered him: her displayed weakness that he despised or the fact that he wished to kill Terrel for his insubordination.

"Then tell her to send a letter to the crown and I will deal with her request after a date has been settled," he declared clearly. He didn't want to give her any special treatment because he knew that, if he did, rumors would spread like wildfire once again.

Part of Aldrich was conflicted since he noticed that, even though the prince was pretending to show how unbothered he was, he could still hear the emotions afloat in his words.

'Maybe it isn't a rumor after all...?' there were too many uncertainties roaming around.

"I'm sorry but crown prince... This is regarding Millicia Swan, the prisoner that will be executed tomorrow, the Earl's claims against her were... removed," Aldrich sees the eyes of the prince widen in shock.

"Removed!?" Blake was clearly annoyed as he grips his quill extremely tight, almost breaking it, "Is there any proof!?"

'These nobles are all the same... Who do they think they are to mock with the authority of the crown!?' he was tired of seeing the lack of respect the high society had towards them and sadly, Ophelia was nothing more than a scapegoat for his stress accumulation.

"Yes, she has a letter from the Earl," Blake bangs his hand on the table and Aldrich flinches. He wasn't expecting such a loud sound.

"Fine, if she wants an audience, I will give her one," he grins, "Take me to her."

'There is no way I'm giving in to that girl...' Blake thought as he walked down the long halls.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

"Glory upon the royal family who guides and provides, Ophelia Criswell, greets the crown prince," I quickly get up and bow down as I see him entering the room.

Aldrich keeps standing beside the closed door as I hear the prince sit down.

"You may rise," he adjusts himself and I sit across him.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience I am causing, your grace," I didn't want to raise any flags with this man. Everything is still vividly in my mind, his disgusting glare as he held the execution order, leaving me just to burn alive.

'I have to...' even then I knew that I needed to do this. I needed to free Millicia and the only way I could do it would be with this man's help.

"I heard the Earl removed his accusation on Millicia Swan," he declares and I quickly hand him the letter.

"Yes your highness, she is innocent," our eyes connect and I feel my heart rush. I didn't want to look at those eyes, they just reminded me of the burning sensation on my skin as they were the last memory I had from that life.

Several minutes pass as Blake reads the letter carefully. The tension in the room was overwhelming making me feel sick to my stomach.

"Do you take the royal law for a fool my lady?" he states after throwing the letter to the floor as if it was nothing but dust.

"I wouldn't dare your highness, if I did I wouldn't be here," I clench my fists in my dress. I knew I couldn't give in to his remarks.

"The crown made a verdict stating that Millicia Swan is guilty of the crimes of attempted murder of a noble lady and slander of a Duke; this claim was both supported by Duke Criswell and Earl Hillgarden," he leans forward, "Are you accusing the crown of being negligent?"

"No, your highness," I could feel the stress grow bigger within me. The room felt like it was becoming smaller at every passing second.

"Then Millicia Swan is guilty of those crimes and the crown made no mistake," he smiles coldly, "We're done here."

Aldrich looks at me pitifully, almost as if he was saying: "You tried your best". Blake gets up and begins heading towards the door.

"Your highness, the fool is the one whose pride is too high to see the truth," I declare and he glares at me.

"Are you, perhaps, calling me a fool?" it was clear in his expression that he was not pleased with our conversation.

"Your highness, Millicia Swan is innocent, the Earl removed his claim and you shouldn't consider the Duke's accusation," I bring forward my trump card.

"And why is that?" from his tone I could tell how annoyed he was getting. His blue eyes were as sharp as a shard of ice, and I knew that my next words would state my fate. He sits back down, facing me straight forward.

"I'm not sure if your grace is aware but, that day, the Duke was accused of poisoning my tea and my sister attempted to kill me," I brush my hair off my neck and show a small crust making the prince's eyes widen in surprise, "Wouldn't it be wrong to continue holding his claim into account since I am the victim?"

"I understand," he lets out a sigh, "I will personally investigate this matter further."

"Your highness!?" Aldrich speaks up but Blake quickly signals him to stop.

"I'm sure you will be able to show us true justice your highness," I get up and bow.

"Aldrich will inform you once I reach my decision, you may leave."

"Thank you, your highness," after straightening my body I head towards the door, "I'm very thankful for your help on this matter Aldrich."

"I only did what any person would've done milady," he smiles politely and I take my leave.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

「 A couple of days later 」

"Have you heard?" a maid whispers.

"Heard what?" a butler questions.

"John disappeared! All of his belongings are in his room but there's been no trace of him for days!"

"Really? That's so weird. Do you think something happened?" the butler was astonished.

"Well... They say it was the curse..." she states worriedly.

"The curse?" the man frowns his eyebrows out of suspicion.

"Yes! John angered Lady Ophelia and her curse fell on him... That's what everyone is saying..."

"If you have time to chat then do your work properly," Ivy appears from behind and they both gasp startled.

"I'm sorry miss," in unison they reply and go back to their chores.

'A curse is it...?' Ivy thought as she walked back to Ophelia's room. She didn't know if that lady's actions were due to something as unrealistic as a curse but she knew how terrifying they were.

Ivy had been pretending to have a cold during the last few days since she felt the necessity to settle down her thoughts. Every night she would dream about John, his voice, his screams, his pleading. She couldn't remove it from her mind.

'You can always avoid a problem for so long right...?' she had finally gathered the courage to deal with Ophelia but, ever since Ivy had come back to work, her lady was completely normal almost as if the situation never happened.

"Milady, your butter cookies," the maid places the snacks on the secretary.

"Thank you, Ivy, you may leave," Ophelia continues to read her book peacefully in bed.

'Is she really not going to talk about it...?' Ivy felt unsure since Ophelia didn't mention anything that happened that night and, as a participant, she couldn't bring herself to ask.

"Lunch will be served soon," the maid leaves after giving her announcement.

'Lunch is it...? Well then... Let's have a wonderful meal,' Ophelia closes her book and gets up right before heading towards Mace's room.

 

✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽ ✼ ✽

 

"Lady Ophelia, the weather is quite pleasant today, how about we take a stroll in the garden?" Terrel questions me with a fake naiveness stamped on his expression.

"Lord Terrel, I must decline such an offer since I already have plans," I smile politely just to see him click his tongue.

"Plans? With whom?" he didn't even bother to hide his annoyance.

"Mace and Ralph," he clenches his fists strongly, making his knuckles whiten, "Talking about it, why are they not joining us for lunch Duke?"

"Well, you see child..." as Edgar was about to speak Terrel interrupts.

"Those fucking curses are not welcome here," he bangs his fist on the table, "Animals can eat the leftovers on the floor."

'Always so gentle...' I thought as his eyes showed no signs of remorse for his hurtful words.

"Lord Terrel! Are you perhaps implying that I should eat leftovers on the floor? Or are you not aware of my status?" I clean my mouth with a napkin.

"That's not what I mean-..." he realizes his mistake. Referring to his siblings as "cursed" was the same thing as insulting me since everyone considered me the cursed child of Alvin Criswell.

"Is it not? Then they should be more than welcome to eat with us from now on correct?" I glare at him just to see him grit his teeth in frustration, "Olivia, please do the necessary arrangements."

"As you wish milady," she bows and takes her leave.

"Ophelia..." Terrel mumbles.

"My lord I would advise high consideration in your upcoming words as you might make the Criswell's your enemy," I smile coldly and, in a glimpse of a second, Terrel leaves the table without even finishing his meal, enraged.

'He should rethink his strategy now...' I think as I remember the furious face he showed. Part of me felt proud of this achievement, happy to see him so frustrated with such a simple thing.

"I'm sorry for my son, he is still very naive you see..." Duke Wharton sighs, ignorant about Terrel's true facade.

"It is quite alright Duke, I will make sure to teach him the ways of the world," I place my hand on his and smile warmly.

'Especially pain and despair...' I couldn't wait to bring Terrel to tears. I wanted him to wish he'd never been born, to wish he would disappear in a blink of an eye but I needed to be cautious.

Even now, I can feel my hands trembling slightly and my unsteady breathing. His father is here and I know I also have Jade, my joker but one can never be too prepared.

I knew I had to devise a plan to get rid of Terrel as soon as I possibly can since I wanted to enjoy the rest of my years without thinking about dark-hearted pawns.

"Milady! It's a letter from the palace!" Alphy rushes to the dining room, her cheeks blushed from running and I feel the weight on my chest increase.

26