Chapter Forty Nine: Impotent Struggles
198 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Ophelia concluded her conversation with the queen, she left the ballroom, escaping to the beautiful royal garden through the balcony. Since she was quick, none of the present nobles had the immediate reaction to approach her or follow her.

‘It’s finally done...’ after walking for several minutes, she finds a small wooden bench in front of a secluded fountain that expelled its sadness into a large pool of tears.

The moon sparkled in the water as she tried to settle down her thoughts. Those few moments with the queen had been enough to make her resolve flutter. Even if she didn’t admit it to herself, the tears she had shed might have been fake but the nerves flowing through her shivering body weren’t.

“It’s fine...” she mumbles to herself while embracing herself in a pitiful attempt to reassure her achievements. She was aware that what had happened was nowhere near perfect but hopefully it had been good enough to kill that woman’s sudden interest.

‘Shit...’ her emotions were coming out fiercely, making shivers of anxiety travel across her body, ‘Calm down...’

Ophelia’s hands were covering her face while her torso was completely leaning forward, allowing the light of the night to shower her with its essence. A soft, yet cold breeze flew through the world, making the surrounding nature rattle in pleasure.

Unexpectedly, something is placed on her back, making her look surprised to her left side straight away. A large white jacket was weighing her down while warming her body from the remnants of her negative emotions.

‘Daniel...?’ she thought as she saw the gorgeous blonde-haired man sitting beside her, with his arms crossed and eyes closed, ‘When did he...?’

His tanned skin was being bathed by the rays of the moon, making him similar to an otherwordly creature, while his resting face appeared peaceful and held an astonishing beauty.

Ophelia couldn’t quite understand what made this action take place. In fact, she didn’t even notice that man’s presence within the ballroom, then why was he here?

 

After several long minutes passed in complete silence, her nerves finally calmed down, allowing her to think more clearly about the situation at hand.

“Thank you, mister,” with coldness behind her words, she removes the jacket and places it on top of his legs. His sapphire eyes held by long blonde eyelashes open softly before focusing on the girl in front of him.

“Is it true?” unlike what she expected he continues the conversation. His voice was warm and didn’t appear to have any ill intention. Even then, he swiftly got up and stood behind her while softly grabbing her wrist.

“What are you referring to?” she turns her body, facing him straight forward. Ophelia already knew what was the hidden meaning behind his words but, even then, one must be certain.

“What you said to the queen... Is it true?” he didn’t feel pity for the girl standing before him and, much to his surprise, neither the usual disgust born from her displayed weakness. He had finally understood that the girl with the black hair was much more than what he’d expected, than what he’d predicted.

Part of him knew that her pitiful display had been a tactic to remove Vivian’s interest off her back, however, something kept on bothering him. Her words were too harsh and her emotions too strong to be just a mere theatrical display.

“What if it was?” her words made him freeze in the place he was standing, enabling him from moving, before letting go of her wrist “What would you do about it?”

‘What would I do about it...?’ Blake thought as that small question echoed in his head repeatedly.

What could he do about it?

What would he do about it?

What did he want to do about it?

“It wasn’t true, what I said,” noticing his conflict, she painfully smiles before turning around, “Thank you for your company, Daniel.”

Ophelia’s words were like a god’s absolution, removing the weight in his chest directly. It was almost as if she knew exactly what was going inside his mind and decided to make it end.

As her body became smaller, her figure became more blurred and soon she was nothing more than a leftover dream that had finally embraced the night sky.

 

Blake removes his earring and stores it in his pocket. His mind was conflicted, confused, unreasonable, all because of this small creature.

‘Was it truly a lie?’ Ophelia didn’t seem to be hiding the facts but at the same time, he knew that the truth was far from what she had previously described.

A feeling of defeat clouded his judgment as memories ran rampant in his mind.

 

Duke Criswell always kept his life sealed, not exposing any of it to outsiders but, after the death of the late Duchess, everything changed. Rumors regarding a girl with pure black hair like charcoal appeared and, alongside them, the speculations of her pain.

Servants that had been fired said that she was cursed and whoever was close to her, would become extremely unlucky. Of course, with those nasty whispers, Ophelia Criswell was never seen at any social events, even though her sister attended all of them.

Blake had been sent to war when he was young, however, he knew about all these matters since he needed cards to play against the strong noble houses. For several years, he thought that this was nothing more than a mere conspiracy created by Criswell’s rivals but he was certainly wrong.

Even then, that girl was special. Her words were precise and strong, it was clear she didn’t want to be pitied by people around her. It was almost as if she accepted her fate, without doubt, or fear, making it impossible to feel for her frail heart.

“We all knew...” frustrated, he bites his bottom lip before looking towards the large full moon standing in the middle of the sky, “Yet we did nothing...”

 

The pain of ignorance hits his heart. Blake couldn’t believe something so outrageous had happened under his father's reign, under his own reign.

‘I was foolish...’ even though the crown prince fought to erase the root of evil inside the Kingdom, he forgot about the reason why.

People. That is the most important rule of a grand king, yet, he forgot to help the ones in true need: the ones who have shackles so heavy that can’t be removed, no matter how hard they tried.

Surprisingly, that young girl stood strong even with all the odds against her.

Blake knew that between them there was a large barrier that wouldn’t crumble down, however, deep down, he wished to see what the other side of the concrete wall held. What kind of shapes, colors, expressions. What Ophelia was hiding deep down, buried in her memory, heart, and soul.

“I must be out of my mind...” the crown prince found himself in a dreadful dilemma: while his heart ached when he thought about Ophelia’s pain, suffering, and tears, it also fluttered whenever her figure appeared in his mind.

Maybe this was a result of his growing guilt born from his utter ignorance, maybe it was the anger he had suppressed for so long towards the nasty nobles, or maybe it was something completely different that he couldn’t begin to describe.

‘Damn...’ he thought to himself while remembering her words, ‘So annoying...’

 

“Your Highness...” Aldrich appears from behind some bushes, walking slowly towards Blake while removing some leaves from his attire.

“What did you see?” he questions while glancing over at his aide and his answer was silent, making the crown prince understand that everything had been exposed, “What do you think?”

“If I may be frank... It is intriguing,” after several years of working for the prince, Aldrich already knew what was in his mind, with only a couple of words, “I don’t think the Lady is lying but how could something like that have taken place?”

“You never know what happens in one’s house unless you live there yourself,” Blake proceeds and, after a couple of minutes of silence he comes to a decision, “Deliver that letter to the Criswell’s.”

“As you wish,” Aldrich swiftly bows and takes his leave, obeying the prince’s commands instantly.

‘I hope this will ease some of your pain, Ophelia...’ he thought to himself while heading back to his chambers to change his attire.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

“How are you feeling?” once I enter the ballroom Mace approaches me.

“I’m fine,” I brush him off my arm. I didn’t want to stir any new rumors that could spark an interest in that woman. Understanding that I didn’t want to talk, he swiftly introduced himself to a group of older nobles from lower houses.

 

The queen was still sitting on her throne, while carefully analyzing every noble’s habits and decisions. The crown prince was no longer by her side and, surprisingly, she didn’t seem to be the least bit affected by it.

My eyes wander through the expensive ballroom, filled with a whole orchestra with expensive instruments and its maestro. The music was loud and several nobles were dancing on the dance floor, right below the golden chandelier filled with precious gems.

The whole floor was made out of marble and several large pillars stood, covered in gold and decorated with several thin lines made out of pure melted gold. On the other hand, the walls were simpler but the decoration was overwhelmingly luxurious: several ancient statues were displayed alongside paintings created by several worldwide artists.

Next to the area filled with tables and delicious cuisine, stood a large statue made out of pure diamond of the first king of the Virden’s lineage. These balls were held with a specific purpose: to display the power and wealth to the royal family and what any noble would be up against if they rebelled.

‘What are they doing...?’ in one of the corners of the ballroom there was a large group of ladies that kept on waving their hands like children. Their voices were obnoxiously loud, creating an annoying background sound while the orchestra played their finest pieces.

I shift my attention to the opposite area and see Bradley talking to some of Evan’s duchy members alongside his father. As usual, he looked completely bored but his charming smile and grace concealed it perfectly.

‘Thank god...’ since his father was present, I was safe from any interaction with him. I know that old man doesn’t like me and I can’t imagine Bradley going against him that easily since if he could, he would have annulled his marriage a long time ago.

 

“May I have a dance, my lady?” I regain my sense of self once I see the curly ginger man, standing in front of me while looking extremely shy and foolish.

‘This is unexpected,’ never would I imagine that Layton would take the initiative to talk with me, however, it seems as if my expectations had easily been surpassed.

“Of course my lord,” a warm smile is displayed on my lips right before I grab the hem of my skirt and head towards the dancefloor.

Where we stood, the lines shone brighter and the glaring of the eyes around us observed more intensely. I could sense a large pressure on my back since, no matter where I looked, every noble was glancing over at us.

‘The two renegades dancing together... This much be extremely amusing to you cunts,’ I thought to myself as the music began to play.

 

Layton was a very poor dancer but that was something I already knew. He didn’t know how to lead and had been born with two left feet, it was a very displeasing reality.

“Follow my lead,” I mumble while holding his hand tightly within mine, “It’ll be fine.”

“Lady Ophelia...” his cheeks become flushed once he sees my confident smile.

Even though he was terrible, he was great at following commands. Once my hand pushed him to a side, he would rapidly follow, making all the other judging nobles frown, displeased with our good performance.

“My lord, may I ask you something?” noticing the environment between us lighten, I grab the reigns and begin showing him some of my cards.

“O-Of course,” even though he was more comfortable with me, it was clear he was still quite nervous.

“I heard some rumors... Is it true you are in love with a commoner?” his eyes widen in surprise with my blunt question.

“Lady Ophelia... That’s...” Layton didn’t want to answer.

‘Why...?’ I couldn’t understand what was making him so hesitant. I knew some things about his past but, even if he wasn’t properly taken care of when he was a child, he should have a softer heart now due to Luana and our previous interaction.

“I don’t mean harm Lord Layton... I just wish to help you,” I smile warmly once again, “I’m sure your father is pressuring you into marriage and I would hate to see someone as kind-hearted as you wither away... I just want to be of some assistance to you, no matter how weak or futile it may seem.”

“My lady...” he didn’t know what to reply when faced with my words and the painful expression I was creating.

‘Shit... Was I too straightforward?’ I couldn’t help but regret my actions. Maybe I should’ve had more patience, maybe I shouldn’t have rushed it, maybe...

As we began reaching the climax of the song, Layton twirls me around, and, to my surprise, he placed too much strength, making me slip through his fingers and fall into someone else’s arms.

Before speaking, I look upwards and see one of the most beautiful men I’d ever seen. His light blue eyes were extremely long and sharp, looking like a diamond dagger ready to pierce any heart in sight; while his short hair was so dark it almost appeared black.

“Well... Hello there my lady,” he comments with a charming yet cold smile.

‘An accent...?’ this man was a foreigner but I couldn’t understand from which country, ‘Only nobles from Ashen attend these events, then who is...?’

“Stealing someone else’s partner is not a proper way to approach a lady in Ashen, my lord,” a polite smile appears on my lips before I see a soft chuckle escape from this mysterious man.

“I would be surprised it if was,” as the last notes of the song echo through the ballroom, he twirls me around strongly before grabbing my torso and pushing me down.

A round of loud applause is heard as the maestro takes his long-waited glorious moment, however, in the meantime, this strange man kept on holding my waist tightly against him.

My eyes end up wandering towards the Verne’s but Layton was nowhere to be seen.

“Your prey isn’t here anymore my lady,” at his cold words, my body shudders, and I feel the strong desire to leave grow stronger. 

It is a brand new year! Thank you for sticking up with the story so far, I am truly thankful! 

Hope this passing year was kind to you and that the upcoming times will prove to be even better! 

Have a great one!

9