Chapter Fifty Six: Taking a Stand
149 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Back to the present]

 “What is this Ophelia?” Edgar’s thick eyebrows furrowed down slightly as his chocolate-colored eyes observed the green-like substance inside the beautiful handmaid teacup.

“It’s called cold tea, father.” I replied politely before placing the cold cup against my lips. “It might seem strange but it is quite pleasant, I assure you.”

Even though his mind was skeptical to try this unusual drink, his curiosity still remained bigger than his fear. Slowly, his hands grabbed the cup, and soon after his lips parted, allowing the cold tea to enter through the gap.

“This is...!” Feeling the sense of refreshment from the mint and the coldness from the tea made his eyes widen in surprise, drinking the rest of the contents in a single gulp. “How did you come up with such a thing?”

“I simply thought that if we can brew tea leaves with strong heat  then we might be able to do the same with cold temperatures.” My answer was simple yet that man’s eyes twinkled like a little kid who had just received his favorite toy or sweet.

‘Part of it is true, either way...’ I wasn’t actually the person who had thought about this unique product. In fact, it was originally created in Kathzun Kingdom, a place with no ties to the ocean and surrounded by mere land from all fronts.

Their climate was extremely dry and thus they only knew one season: Blistering, all year long. With the overwhelming heat, a simple commoner wished for the drinks to be cooled instead of warm and after years of research, he was able to attain perfection: cold tea. Of course that only happened two years from now so, according to the world’s logic, I am not stealing since it never existed in the first place.

“Brilliant! This is genius!” Without even waiting for the maids, Edgar picked up the kettle and served himself some more tea. “It is so pleasant and leaves such a strange sensation within the mouth... It is incredible!”

“I thank you for the praises father.” My hands placed down the teacup in its rightful place before placing a polite smile on my lips.

“Cold tea was it? How do you make it?”

‘You’re mine.’ Swiftly I moved my hair, uncovering my right ear right before straightening my back on the luxurious divan.

Since Duke Criswell refuses to give me my rightful allowance, I needed to find a new way to create income. Of course, I could invest in businesses that will become big in a couple of years but that will take too much time. I’ve also received a share from Earl Hillgarden’s investment, however, it was nowhere near enough. I could’ve shown the cold tea to the Earl but I’ve heard about how ferocious Edgar was when his business was at stake. That was what I needed, a trustworthy partner with a large wealth.

“I can simply show you if you’d like.” Hearing my words, the Duke’s eyes widened in shock, not understanding how I could do such a complex thing at the moment. “It is quite simple actually.”

“Then lead the way, my child.” He declared before escorting me out of the room.

 

“Isn’t this...?”

“Yes, it is your ice storehouse.” I commented before opening the door. “I advise you to close your jacket or you might get cold.”

After entering the small house and walking a couple of steps, two large wooden barrels stood out amongst all the ice inside. Carefully, I removed the lid just to disclosure the peppermint tea that filled up the recipient to its fullest.

“Don’t tell me... Is it this simple?” Edgar combed his beard with his fingers gently while considering the scenario he had just watched.

“Indeed it is.” A smile is displayed on my lips as I started to explain the whole process.

Once Jade arrived I had him help with this little endeavor of mine. He went to the well and filled up the barrels before placing them in the center of the ice house. Afterward, all that was left was to place the several leaves and wait. Sadly, we had placed a third barrel but the water froze since it got too close to the ice palets. It was a mistake that wouldn’t happen further in the future.

“Child, this could be worth a fortune...!” We both left the ice house and continued to talk while strolling through the garden.

“Father, may I be a bit selfish?” Edgar’s eyes were slightly cold after hearing my question but he still nodded. “When I was little I hated Blistering... At times it was so suffocating that I could barely breathe. I think this tea could help a lot of people suffering just like I did...”

“...” Suddenly I feel a gentle yet heavy hand stroke down my hair before a loud chuckle echoed through the garden. “So you want this tea to reach more people is that it?”

“I want to help them!” I pouted like an innocent little child.

“I understand, Ophelia. I will help your wish come true.” The Duke’s smile was so warm and comfortable that somehow it actually felt like home. “I will make a business out of this and we can divide the earnings in half, what do you say?”

“I don’t need...!” As I was about to deny his offer, I am interrupted.

“You are not living with the Criswell’s anymore. You are a Wharton now and good deeds deserve to be rewarded.” His serious expression made a weird feeling from me arise.

‘Is he acknowledging my worth...?’ My cheeks turned slightly flushed since this was something that never happened before.

“I... I understand father.” I comment before hearing loud laughter.

“That’s my girl! I’m very proud of you Ophelia.”

As I was about to reply the loud sound of metal clacking is heard and my eyes widened once I see Martin, sweating from every single one of his pores.

“Your grace...!” His hands stood on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. “Dan has... Dan has disappeared!”

“What!?” The great mood that had been previously created vanished into thin air with this sudden news.

“The third squad went there last night to deliver his food but he appeared to be sleeping...” Martin straightens up his body as his body recovered from the sprint he had to do. “So they just left but when they went there this morning they saw the untouched meal and removed the cover sheets... There were only pillows, nothing else.”

“When was the last time he was seen?” Edgar’s brows were furrowing down as this situation had made him extremely displeased.

“Yesterday morning your grace, when Dan went to check our practice.” Martin’s knuckles were tightly shut as frustration traveled through his face. “There is no one else after that...”

‘Well, it can’t be helped...’ I gazed towards the Duke. He was clearly infuriated but I couldn’t blame him since, if it was my people, I would be his reflection.

“Sir Martin.” Even if Dan was of no importance to me I needed to know if this incident would become troublesome to me. It was better to be safe than sorry like the saying goes. “You are wrong.”

“Excuse me?” His face became boiled like a lobster who had just finished cooking.

“Dan was actually seen outside the front gates yesterday at sunset.” I commented just to see both of the men’s eyes widen in surprise. “My maid saw it by accident and told me.”

“If I may be so rude to ask... Why would your maid report such a trivial matter to you?” Martin’s temper was getting worse. “Unless...”

“It would be wise not to do such futile assumptions. Wouldn’t you consider it strange to see a wounded man wandering around the estate?” A sigh escaped my body. “You see, I am only intending to help.”

“I apologize milady, I acted rashly.” He bowed slightly, allowing me to explain the situation.

“My maid saw him enter a carriage with two other gentlemen. She could not see their faces.” I stated before seeing Martin’s dull eyes glimmer with expectation.

“If we can talk with her maybe she will be...!”

“Her loyalty resides with me. Why do you assume that she would tell you more than what she told me?” I promptly interrupted his line of thought. This man was quick to act when his personal affections were at stake.

“That’s not what I meant milady... We can try to force out the rest out of her.” His reasoning had long been lost.

“Martin! Do you understand the weight of your words!?” Edgar immediately replied with his loud yet authoritarian voice. “What do you take the Wharton’s for!? Monsters who torture their servants!?”

“No your grace, that’s not...” He tried to apologize for speaking rashly but it was already too late.

“I shall hire a private detective to search into this matter. Until I find out the truth you are suspended.” Martin’s face turned pale as he was unable to respond to the Duke’s command. Understanding the size of the scar that had been imprinted in his guard, Edgar swiftly left towards his study room without any appearing remorse.

“Sir Martin, you shouldn’t throw away reason so hastily, even if your feelings want you to do so.” Hearing my voice made him come back to reality. “Even if you interrogated her you wouldn’t get any more information since she can’t talk. You understand what that means, don’t you?”

“Lady Ophelia, I’m so... Sorry...” His eyes turn shocked as he understood how much of a fool he had been. Surprisingly, he kneeled in front of me begging for my forgiveness.

“Ah... Damn.” I scratched my head frustrated. “Jade, bring me Millicia.”

“As you wish.” Jade suddenly appeared from behind a large tree startling Martin who hadn’t even sensed his presence.

“Now you shall take me to Dan’s room.” I smiled coldly before seeing the guard's eyes widen in surprise and confusion. “I’m not doing this for you or him, keep that in mind.”

“I understand milady...” Even slightly unsure, he guided me towards the guard's quarters.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

[The day after the Royal Ball]

“You useless piece of shit!” Marquess Verne punched Layton strongly, making him wound his gum and lips.

“Fa-Father...” As he tried to speak up, he was immediately cut off by another sudden movement from that man. This time, the young boy coughed up some blood and his eyes began to accumulate tears of pain and fear.

“You had one job! One fucking job!” Extremely annoyed, James throws a handmade vase onto the floor, cutting his son’s face with the small pieces that flew around the area. “Even women have more balls than you!”

“...” Layton decided to remain quiet as nothing would be able to serve as a justification for his monstrous father.

“How can’t you even seduce a dumb kid who knows nothing!?” He continued yelling as his face turned redder by the minute. “I see... Maybe you are only used to seduce filthy peasant whores!”

“...” The boy’s knuckles grabbed onto the carpet on the floor as he restrained himself from speaking up. The feelings that overwhelmed him were neither of rage nor disgust, instead, they were frustration in its purest state.

Frustration of not being able to speak up against his father.

Frustration of not being able to protect the one he loved.

Frustration of being weak.

“I should’ve sent Julius... You are a fucking disgrace.” Finally, the Marquess’s anger settled down. “Leave you disgusting-looking pig!”

Without saying a word, Layton left the study room but his torment wasn’t over yet.

“Seems like father did a good one on you...” Julius was standing behind the door grinning cheerfully at the outcome of the situation. “You see, I was going to attend as well but I asked father to give you a final chance to prove your worth. But it seems it was worthless!”

“...” The beaten-up boy remained quiet while hearing his brother’s laughter echo through the halls.

“Get the joke? Ah... I’m so funny.” His hands cleaned the tears that were dropping from his eyes from the overwhelming moment of happiness. “Cedric and I even made a bet on when you would flee from her but I can’t believe you managed to last almost a full dance! I was seriously impressed.”

‘We are supposed to be family...’ He thought as he saw his brother’s actions sink even deeper into oblivion.

“Don’t look so down brother... I will be leaving soon once I get married to that Criswell’s brat.” He chuckled. “I heard she is quite the beauty, is it true?”

“Shut up!” Layton yelled while shoving Julius' hand off his shoulder.

“Oh Oh? What is this? Don’t tell me you care for her?” A grin appeared on his lips as he had realized his younger brother had another weakness.

“Remember the place where we are brother. What if father heard that rude remark? I’m pretty sure we would end up matching.” Layton politely said with an unbothered expression on his face. “I will take my leave now.”

‘I wonder...’ Julius couldn’t begin to understand his brother’s behavior since, for once, he had acted like a proper noble. This action was conflicting as he couldn’t comprehend if this was a futile attempt to hide his obvious care for the Duke’s daughter or if he was legitimately concerned with the family’s standing.

6