Chapter Fifty Seven: The Sins of Desire
157 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Back to the present]

“What’s she doing here?” A guard commented with his kin as news began to spread about my visit to their quarters. Gossip flew through the air and soon enough every man in the area came to visit me.

“She should be ashamed...” A man spoke and I noticed a little figure trying to pass through the large number of people that had gathered.

‘Winston...’ Keeping my unbothered face on, I observed his cautious stare, following me around, like a curious yet frightful kitten.

“She’ll hear you!” Promptly another voice is heard.

I knew that they did not see me in a good light, especially after what happened to Dan, however, I never expected to make any friends in this place. The only thing I needed was the most basic rule of society: respect.

“Sir Martin, it appears I took your job too lightly... I never imagined that the Duke ordered you to educate boys who haven’t left their mother’s care.” My loud voice echoed making the men shudder in place.

‘Of course, I heard you. Who do you think you are dealing with?’ I thought before seeing the head of the guard's turn.

“Who gave you permission to leave your posts!?” Martin yelled, annoyed at the situation. “This is not a show! Anyone who dares to take my authority lightly will get severely punished.”

In a blink of an eye, the majority of the mob that had gathered to follow us disappeared, leaving only a couple of guards that were currently off-duty.

‘Good job...’ Without putting it into words, I looked at him proudly since he finally stepped up to his job.

 

“So this is his room...” We finally reached the furthest room in the back of an annex where the wounded and some other guards, with nowhere else to go, stayed.

“Master.” Jade appears followed by Millicia preventing Martin from opening the door.

“Milly, do you remember anything else besides what you told me?” I questioned her but she promptly shook her head. The man who was once doubtful glanced away, embarrassed with his previous evil thoughts. “As you can see, Sir Martin, my maid knows nothing more on the matter.”

“I apologize for doubting you, miss.” Unexpectedly, he quickly bowed down while asking for forgiveness. Millicia's cheeks became flushed since she was not expecting this type of behavior.

Martin chuckled slightly after seeing her embarrassment and, as if nothing had previously happened, he opened the door. A simple and small room was seen with deep brown walls surrounding it. Some sun rays passed through a window located near the ceiling and the only furniture standing was a cheap bedding and a wooden chair that paired up with a medium-sized table.

The floor had some medical equipment hanging around, however, most of it were either used bloody bandages or broken tools. On top of the bed, some red stains tainted the sheets and an overwhelming amount of pillows stood still.

‘Compared to most servants he was receiving great care...’ I frowned not understanding how such a thing could come to be.

“How bad was his condition?” I questioned Martin while my fingers traveled through the wooden desk. Without having to disclaim my goals, Millicia and Jade had already begun searching for leads inside the room.

“He would visit us from time to time but he couldn’t stay long... After staying out of bed for a long time he would gain a fever.” He responded while remembering the past events. “Dan also complained that walking was extremely painful... Like being pierced by needles, he said.”

“That’s great news then.” He looks at me shocked, not understanding how the pain of another could be something so blessed.

“If he was in so much pain, why bother going to the front gate? It is still a twenty-minute walk.” Jade who was rumbling through the bedsheets spoke calmly. “He must’ve been tipped by someone or something.”

‘As expected of Jade, he is quick to pick up.’ I smile proudly making him glance away almost immediately.

“So you are saying someone manipulated him?” Martin’s mind was beginning to connect the small dots.

“Or he was given a very alluring offer.” I try to open up one of the drawers of the desk but it was closed. “Do you have the key?”

“Yes, I have it in my quarters, I’ll get it right now!” He exited the room in a rush, leaving us alone.

 

“Have you found something?” I commented while glancing over at them.

“Nothing appears out of the ordinary but it seems that Dan didn’t take reality well.” Jade removed a small pouch from inside one of the pillows and opened it, just to display a bright white substance inside.

I approached him and dug my pinky finger inside the substance just to see it cling onto my skin as if I was wearing a thick coat of honey. Then my hand rose to the sunrays and the white substance began sparking like a pure canvas waiting for its artist.

“It’s Rosalia.” Unconsciously, I mumbled making their eyes widen at my remark. They looked confused as to how I would be able to know such information. “But this is a cheap version so I’m sure it didn’t relieve his pain.”

“...” Both Jade and Millicia glanced over at each other but since I was letting the matter go, so they did.

 

“Here’s the key!” Martin finally came back and finally placed the key inside the drawer, allowing a clicking sound to be heard. Gently, he pushed the drawer back and revealed a black cover notebook inside. Beside it stood a wedding ring, carefully placed on top of some bird feathers and a cheap quill with red ink on its end.

‘Is this is diary...?’ I thought before sitting on the simple chair and opening up the front page.

WHY YOU PEEKING? WHY YOU PEEKING?

WHY YOU PEEKING? WHY YOU PEEKING?

WHY YOU PEEKING? WHY YOU PEEKING?

Were the bloodshot words written on the first page.

“What the fuck!?” Martin couldn’t hide his surprise and thus his body quickly backed away from the creepy scenario. “Why would he write such a thing!? And with red ink!?”

“It’s not ink, it is blood.” Jade commented effortlessly right before chuckling slightly. “I thought you needed more skill to be the head of the guards but I was wrong.”

“You...!”

“Quiet.” I commented once I noticed Martin’s face become tainted with frustration and anger. “We have more important things to see, wouldn’t you agree?”

OPHELIA CRISWELL THAT WRETCHED WOMAN. HOW DARE SHE? HOW DARE SHE? HOW DARE SHE?!

DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE.

SHE TOOK EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING! HOW DARE SHE?! HOW DARE SHE!?

I WILL KILL YOU. I WILL KILL YOU. I WILL KILL YOU. I WILL KILL YOU. I WILL KILL YOU. I WILL KILL YOU.

 ‘Such deep hatred... Who knew you’d be such an interesting man Dan?’ From then on, each page either cursed me or wished for my complete destruction and so, after reading half of the diary, I closed it.

“I’m sorry milady I didn’t know...” Martin quickly apologizes in a pitiful attempt to relieve my anger, however, I didn’t possess any type of resentment whatsoever. I was in fact thankful since I was able to watch something so amusing.

I glanced over to the desk one again just to notice the shiny round ring. It seems as if his relationship with his wife had deteriorated in the spawn of a couple of weeks and thus he had lost any contact with his children in the process.

That’s probably why he resorted to that drug, Rosalia, also known as the soul stealer. Even though it was not particularly used by the masses it was a very dangerous substance. Contrary to the majority of the drugs, Rosalia gives you hallucinations, sceneries with people or objects born from your heart’s deepest wish, and you end up being transported into a whole different reality, a whole different world.

Once you tried it, it would become very hard to quit since your soul would always want more and more to satisfy your heart’s wishes. That’s why people that consumed it became affected by what’s known as Rosalia’s Disease: their soul would deny the real reality and yearn for the non-existent world, becoming complete dolls with no emotions whatsoever.

‘Love is indeed a dangerous thing...’ I thought as I placed the diary in Jade’s hands, letting him know to keep it.

“Did you find anything else milady?” Martin questioned.

‘This still doesn’t answer as to why there is nothing here... Where could it be...?’ I knew that this area was restricted being hard for the other servants to enter so it was highly unlikely that a maid or a butler had come here. Accidentally I stare at the tray filled with food on the floor and it finally hits me.

“Take me to the person in charge of your meals.” I coldly smiled before following Martin to the annex’s kitchen.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

[Simultaneously, at Lady Catherine’s Estate]

“I hope you bring me something good.” Catherine stated while placing a juicy grape in her mouth. Beside her stood two young men who caress her legs like loyal dogs worshiping their owner.

“The little raven created something called cold tea... The old man is going to sell it.” A manly voice said while glancing over to her lustful pose. Part of him wished to be young enough to be in the place of those two rascals.

‘Cold tea? I’ve never heard about it...’ Catherine thought to herself while considering her next move. ‘If the Duke is helping her then he sees this as a solid investment... I wonder...’

“What else do you have for me?” She questioned the hooded man loudly.

“It seems like she is searching for a missing guard... The one that was taken by...” The woman quickly interrupted him.

“Silence. We’ve got company.” She grinned before seeing a figure appear on the window ledge. “You know this is the third floor, right?”

“What’s that got to do with me?” With the gentle Blistering wind, the hood covering the intruder’s face is revealed. “Hello, Catherine.”

“I wasn’t expecting you today Rin.” A large scar covered the woman’s face while her short light-colored hair shuns against the candle lights.

“My master is quite impatient you see... It seems as if you are keeping things to yourself.” The intruder entered the room and picked up a large wine bottle right before chugging it down her throat. A burning yet tingling sensation embraced her body a couple of moments after. “You do know what will happen if you breach the contract... Don’t you?”

“...” Catherine could see the woman’s dark eyes focused on her with large killing intent. “I can’t give you information that I do not possess.”

“Months have gone by and yet you still seem unsure of that girl’s fate...” Her figure moved to the window once more. “I’d advise you to make a decision otherwise... He shall take matters into his own hands.”

“I assure you that is being taken care of...” Catherine declared before seeing a grin appear on the young maiden’s lips.

“Great! I wouldn’t want you to end up like your little friend.” And just like that, she disappeared into the night, leaving the noblewoman in her lustful pleasures once again.

‘It seems I can’t delay it any longer...’ Frustrated, she bit down her bottom lip.

“I want to know everything about Ophelia, I don’t want her to breathe without me knowing.” Her authorial voice echoed through the room yet her spy didn’t move. She frowned, confused with such strange behavior. “Didn’t you hear me!?”

“...” The kneeling figure remained quiet until he suddenly fell forward, hitting his face in the ground strongly.

“Damien!” Catherine yelled and suddenly a man burst through the door.

“Yes, master?” Seeing the body in front of him made him promptly understand his duties. After taking a couple of steps, he got down and gently touched the warm yet lifeless body. Suddenly, he grabs a handkerchief and removes a small poisonous needle from the corpse’s neck. “He’s dead.”

“Shit.” Catherine comprehended that this wasn’t a mere warning. She was being threatened.

‘If you don’t cooperate you will end up like him.’ That’s what that woman told her. ‘I thought I would have more time...! Damn!’

“Take him away... And bring me his replacement!” The warm touch of the men in her thigs made her feel stressed. “Get off me!”

Her hands shove them off harshly, pushing the two boys onto the cold floor without any care in the world. Understanding they were unwanted, they left the room, leaving the noblewoman alone to her own thoughts.

6