Chapter Fifty Nine: Choices
109 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Back to the present]

We reached the entrance of the estate, a bit over the front gates, and see a complete emptiness. A large dirt road surrounded by a massive forest filled with all of nature’s blessings.

“Can you mimic what you saw?” I questioned Millicia who quickly nodded her head.

Without any delay she grabbed Jade and places him in the corner of the road, then she proceeded to imitate Dan’s lumping, most likely from his overbearing pain. Suddenly she pretends to fight Jade as if she was trying to escape and then jumps, mimicking the gestures of someone on a carriage.

“Why didn’t you say he had been kidnapped in the first place!?” Martin yelled frustrated. “That’s why I said we should...!”

“I am helping you out of the goodness of my heart yet you dare to comment such rude remarks regarding my own people. It seems as if I wasn’t clear enough last time.” I spoke loudly, making him swallow the rest of his words. “Wise choice.”

“If they actually fought then maybe something fell on the floor.” Jade stated while kneeling towards a bunch of green grass. “We should search around this area master.”

“Yes, let’s do that.” The environment grew lighter as we started to cautiously look for any leftover clues.

An hour had passed and a maid I had never seen appeared courteously asking me to follow her since, apparently, Mace wished to speak to me.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

“You called for me?” I arrived at his chambers and before I was even able to knock, the door is opened.

“Ophelia, won’t you join me for a cup of tea?” He smiled politely while telling his servants to leave.

“Gladly my lord.” Delicately, I sat in the chair in front of him before feeling his gaze falling upon me.

“Have you been well?” His hands carefully placed the tea from the kettle in the cup. “We haven’t talked like this in some time.”

“It appears so.” Somehow this environment felt overbearing. Mace’s eyes were strange and I wasn’t able to disclose what type of emotions they held. “I’ve been fairing well, how about you my lord?”

“Since my brother is dealing with the thieves in the north I have been helping father with his affairs... I’ve been quite busy in fact.” His hands brought the teacup close to his lips while his chocolate eyes glanced over at me with unknown intent.

‘...’ This was indeed a strange conversation. ‘What does he want me to reply to that...!?’

“I heard you made a deal with the Duke... Cold tea, was it?” My eyebrows furrow down as I felt a growing sense of hostility take place.

“Word sure travels fast...” I spoke in a low tone while drinking a bit of the warm tea. “Yes, Father felt like my concept was a good investment.”

“...” Mace remained quiet for a couple of seconds before suddenly scratching his head troubled. “You shouldn’t stand out too much or you’ll end up clearing my brother’s reputation.”

“How could that be the case?” I placed the cup on the table as he got up and locked the entrance door to his room. “What are you doing?”

“Everything has ears in this place.” Swiftly he walked towards the closed central window of the room, far away from every wall or door and I promptly followed him. “Ophelia, no matter what you achieve, Father will never say you did it, do you understand?”

“...” I remained quiet for a couple of seconds and then he continued.

“All your achievements will be as Terrel’s fiancée and eventually wife... At some point that will disappear as well since... Ah...” He struggled to get the words right. “I’m sure my brother will steal everything you aim for.”

‘You’re not wrong...’ Since in this hypocritical society men are seen as superior to women it is very unlikely to hear about proactive ladies who have great achievements. It’s always the men while the rest of us are regarded as a baby dumpster, only good to provide them with an heir.

“You talk as if you despise your brother.” I commented making his eyes widen in surprise.

“I can’t say I’m fond of him.” Mace proceeded while leaning on the short window ledge. “I don’t think he has the right qualities to become the Wharton’s heir, that’s all.”

“If you want to take what belongs to your brother then...” I approached him gently, making his cheeks turn slightly flushed before opening up the window, allowing a warm breeze to enter the overwhelming tense room. “Why don’t you?”

His eyes appeared lost in the mist, not understanding what had happened as I created some distance between us. A smile was drawn on my lips while he looked at me confused.

“Are you saying I should kill my brother?” Mace painfully chuckled after regaining his composure and thoroughly analyzing my words. “That’s sick Ophelia, even for you.”

‘I wouldn’t dare to give you that pleasure...’ If someone was going to murder that piece of human trash was me and no one else.

“Your words not mine...” My fingers covered my lips, allowing me to giggle softly. “But you don’t need to go to such extremes. It is not often but sometimes the head of the house changes heirs according to their performance.”

“Performance you say?” His hands reached his chin as he pretended to be thinking.

“I won’t fall for that pretty façade Mace. Do you think I am dumb enough not to see that you were already working for it? I’m sure you knew about what I told you as well.” Surprisingly his expression remained the same. “I can help you.”

“What...?” His eyes focus on mine as his confused face turned into pure seriousness.

“You see...” Swiftly, I gave a small twirl around the room before picking up a small flower from one of the vases. Gently I grabbed onto its head and suddenly crushed it between my fingers, allowing the crunched petals to fall off. “This is what your dear brother does to women. I won’t let it happen to me.”

Mace remained quiet. Maybe because of the guilt he was feeling or maybe he wasn’t expecting such a thing to come out of me.

“Don’t look so surprised, I’m sure you already knew. How your brother loves to turn children into grown women? Or how he makes them pregnant? God knows how many bastard children he had without even having a wife...” I commented before throwing the remaining of the flower onto the floor. “In this world, it’s either eat or be eaten.”

“I’ve heard of such rumors but I’ve never seen it for myself.” He declared.

‘Of course, he isn’t stupid enough to do in the mansion where he can easily be discovered...’ Even after all of this, Terrel was still afraid of his father. He wasn’t as powerful as he thought he was.

“So, what are you going to do? Are you going to accept Terrel as the rightful heir or finally do something about it?” I brushed my hair back. “You might think you have years to prepare but fate may knock on your door earlier than you expect.”

“I just wanted Ralph to be a bit older otherwise the whole house will be turned into absolute chaos...” Even then, Mace was kind enough to care about the health of his siblings, he was, indeed a good brother.

“Do you think you have that much time? You must’ve noticed that the majority of the servants were replaced... Why do you think that is?” I questioned him but his surprise was nowhere to be seen. The answer was already clear in his mind. “Exactly. I’m giving you a choice. Let me help you become the Wharton’s heir.”

“What will you gain from it? I don’t think you will help me out of pure kindness...” His eyes glanced to the balcony where two little birds chirped happily.

‘It’s written all over your face...’ Mace’s heart wished me to say that this surprisingly caring action was born out of futile feelings like love.

“Of course not. You will grant me three wishes.”  He frowns, comprehending the danger behind my request. “Don’t worry, I won’t ask for anything unreasonable or that might damage the Wharton’s.”

‘This should bring him some peace of mind.’ Suddenly someone knocks on the door.

“My lord? It’s Ava, I brought you some snacks. Might I enter?” A soft and sweet voice was heard from behind the large wooden object.

“Think about it, I...” As I was about to turn around and head towards the exit, I feel some strength on my wrist. My whole body falls back as I felt myself being pulled into his embrace.

“I’ll do it Ophelia but you must not betray me.” He placed his arms around me and hugged me tightly from behind. “I couldn’t bear to witness it, so please...”

‘...’ Well, this became a troublesome situation.

“Mace...” I placed my hands on him before removing myself from his embrace slowly. “Those feelings... Let them go.”

His eyes weren’t able to hide the pain that had been inflicted by my words.

“They are just hindrances to your success, you don’t need such weaknesses,” I stated before twirling my body and glancing over at him. “I’m currently investigating who’s been firing the servants but I think the outcome will be what we expect, be prepared when that happens.”

“Alright...” He grabbed his left arm while a heartbroken look covered his face.

“Well then, be well my lord.” I commented before unlocking the door.

Ava, a beautiful maid with bright golden curls and emerald eyes glared at me filled with hatred and jealousy. I simply smiled coldly and left, I wasn’t going to bother myself with such trivial matters.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

“Welcome back milady!” Olivia greeted me with her large smile.

“Thank you.” I replied politely before heading towards the window. The sun was starting to set and the overwhelming heat was disappearing, giving birth to the coldness of the night.

“Oh! That’s right!” She giggled loudly, making the maids who were passing through the hall frown, displeased with her childish behavior. “Some letters arrived for you milady, I placed them on top of your desk. Would you like me to read them for you?”

‘What is this...!?’ My eyebrows furrowed deeply once I felt this sudden insubordination. ‘How could she even ask something like this!?’

“Are you stupid?” I questioned her coldly before seeing her face turn pale. “Leave.”

‘Is she just dumb?’ I knew I needed to get rid of my father’s spy as soon as possible but they were rather meticulous. Sometimes I suspected Olivia, other times I thought it could be Ivy, however, there were no concrete clues to who it could be. ‘Shit...’

Swiftly I head to the desk and see a couple of letters standing still. I read the name of the senders one by one.

“Some low noble ladies... Earl Hillgarden and... Terrel!?” My eyes widen once I see his name. “Let’s see what you want... You rotten egg.”

Carefully I opened up the letter and read its contents.

 

[To my dear Ophelia,

I hope you’ve been fairing well. These past weeks in the north made me realize how much I enjoyed your presence by my side. Even though it is Blistering, the weather is cold.

Sadly I will have to remain in the north for a couple of months but I will make sure to visit often. Remember that, my beautiful wife.

 

Your  husband,

Terrel Wharton]

 

‘You’ve got to be kidding me... How pretentious of him!” We were not even married but he was already treating me like his wife. ‘I hope you freeze to death.’

I wasn’t surprised anymore. Every single time I received a letter from Terrel he would send me a warning, letting me know to stay put like a good obedient dog.

“Ah... You won’t even know what hit you... I will take everything away from you and watch you crumble into despair...” I grinned as a sensation of pleasure flew through my body as I thought about these evil deeds.

Honestly, I was a bit upset at first. I was troubled since I wanted to get rid of Terrel as quickly as possible, however, his departure to the north delayed it. Now things are different.

‘I mean, since I have to wait, might as well take some time to screw him over.’ I couldn’t wait to see his face compelled by despair once he learned that he was no longer the heir to the Wharton’s and that he couldn’t control anything at all.

“This is something worth seeing...” As I mumbled to myself I feel the soft sensation of something rubbing against my arm. Nero was beside me glaring at me with his large ruby eyes. “I’m sure you will enjoy it too... You see, I will take his things, one by one, and see him crumble into pieces... And then, out of pure kindness of my heart, I will end his misery... In the worst way possible.”

4