Chapter Sixty: The Importance of Words
102 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Birds chirped happily while a soft Blistering breeze blew through the tree leaves. It was a dawn of a new day and surprisingly I had woken up earlier than usual.

“Hmm...” I glanced to my side just to see the moving clouds in the sky, being pushed away by the wind. “I think I might go for a walk...”

Sadly yesterday we couldn’t find anything else. There were no more clues regarding Dan’s whereabouts and so the searches reached their end. According to Martin, the Duke hired an experienced detective that should arrive in the capital in a couple of days but somehow it didn’t sit well with me.

‘I mean it is an opportunity that is going to waste...’ I got up from the bed and headed towards the closet. On the far back stood my ridding clothing: a pair of trousers and a white shirt. Without much thought, I removed my nightgown and got dressed right before tying my long hair in a large ponytail.

“Well then... We’re all set.” A chuckle escaped my lips and I walked towards the door. I noticed the presence of a little furball following me and so I picked it up, carrying it in my hands. “You eat so much but you haven’t grown even a bit...”

Nero was indeed a peculiar cat but maybe he was just a slow grower. It is nothing unusual and it usually happens with poor nutrition, just like me.

Ever since I came to the Duke’s estate I’ve been eating several extravagant and healthy dishes. As a consequence, I’ve grown slightly taller and my figure appears slightly rounder, especially my breasts and bottom areas.

‘Even though I still look like I could fly with a harsh wind breeze...’ I sighted. Gaining weight was something that my organism struggled with and thus, I still appeared to be extremely thin.

 

Finally, I reached the garden and a fresh breeze passed through allowing the pleasant fragrances of fresh flowers to fill my being. Since it had just dawned there were some dewdrops on the leaves, leftovers from the colder night.

“So pleasant...” I took a deep breath and placed Nero on the grass.

“Milady?” Suddenly I heard a known voice. Instantly I turned around and see Ivy, looking at me puzzled. “It is quite early, shouldn’t you be asleep?”

“What are you doing up so early?” I questioned her bluntly.

‘Maids don’t need to wander around the gardens this early... Did she meet with someone?’ I frowned while picturing several scenarios in my head.

“Well... I was actually meeting someone...” Her cheeks turn slightly flushed. “I’ve been talking with a man from the guards and we quite like each other’s company but we can only be together at dawn so...”

“Forget I asked.” I answered with a disgusted expression on my face. I didn’t have any intention of knowing about my maid’s love life or what that further implied.

‘Love is such a trivial thing. I don’t understand how stupid these people can be.’ Thoughts like these were usual for me since I didn’t believe in love. At some point, I was this foolish but then I grew up and realized that love was nothing more than the lack of self-respect and strength. Only weak people need love.

“I’m just going out for a stroll, you may go get some rest.” I commented before seeing her flustered face.

“But milady I should...” Ivy knew she shouldn’t leave me alone but I didn’t care. I wanted to be by myself.

“Go.” She swallows up her words and bows right before leaving towards the mansion.

‘A guard is it...?’ Ivy knew I was suspicious of her so this might have been just a simple façade to cover up her tracks but I needed to know the truth. Was she really interested in a man? Was she meeting up with her loved one or...? Was she selling information to someone?

“Ahh... Problems do come in packs.” I let out a sigh. I had to worry about finding the spy, finding Dan and the reason for his kidnapping, the interest of that damned Vivian, that chicken of a man, and now, the truth behind these secret meetings. “I really don’t get any rest do I...”

I felt overwhelmed. I couldn’t understand why things couldn’t be solved, one at a time. Fate was indeed cruel and God must have a thrilling sensation on his celestial body every time a new problem arises.

‘You cunt...’ I cursed this self-proclaim God who didn’t do anything else than torture my body and mind.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

“It’s getting hot...” It was already the middle of the morning and thus the weather was becoming warmer. I had enjoyed my little time alone in the garden since I passed the whole time laying in the grass while watching Nero play with the grass and follow me around.

“I’m sorry but we cannot let you enter milord... It’s the Duke’s orders.” As I was passing through the front gates I notice Bradley and his aide, Aideen, beside him. I promptly hid behind a tree.

‘Should I just ignore him?’ His expression was filled with worry as if he was desperate to enter inside the estate.

“I just want to see if she is alright! Can’t I at least do that!?” His temper seemed bad as he kept on yelling to the poor guards. “I demand to speak with the Duke! Does he intend to make an enemy of the Trace household!?”

“...” Things were escalating pretty quickly and, as I was about to intervene I see Edgar leave through the front door of the main house.

“What is with this racket so early in the morning!?” His attention is focused on Bradley. “Didn’t I specifically say that you were banished from the estate until the wedding took place!? What are you thinking!?”

“...” Bradley shook the guards off and entered the estate, closing the distance between him and the Duke. “I just came here to see if she was alright. Like I told you the past days, I will only stop coming once I see her.”

‘The past days? He’s been coming here every day!?’ My eyes widen at his remark. I knew he was oblivious and stubborn but I never thought he would be like this.

“I already told you I...” As the Duke was speaking I move from behind the tree.

“Father.” They look at me, shocked at my unpredicted appearance.

“Ophelia! Are you alright? You’re not sick right?” Bradley rushed towards me, grabbing me strongly by my arms while analyzing me through. “Thank god, I heard you got a fever and...”

“Lord Bradley, remember where your standing.” His expression turned cold as he recalled where he was.

“I apologize.” Promptly he bowed and placed some distance between us.

‘Strange...’ It was the first time I had seen him so concerned. ‘Was it because I was out of it for a while?’

“As you can see she is fine, now...” As Edgar was about to expel him I intervene.

“Father, please allow me to talk with Lord Bradley in private.” Their eyes widen at my remark. “I wish to thank him personally for helping me at the queen’s birthday ball.”

“...” Even though he appeared unsure he ended up accepting my request. “As you wish but you shall take a servant with you. I forbid you to be with this man alone.”

“Thank you, father.” I smiled politely before sending a maid off to fetch Jade.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

“What is the real reason for your visit my lord?” I questioned him after he walked to the back of the garden.

Bradley’s appearance was slightly sloppy compared to the other times, maybe from the somewhat heavy eye bags that weighted under his eyes or maybe from his worried soul. Beside him stood Aideen who glared at me with a large sense of hostility, threatening me with the edge of an invisible blade.

Jade was right behind me and I could feel him observe the two men standing before him very cautiously, like a hawk waiting to capture the two little rabbits for his feast.

“I wanted to see you.” His words were as sweet as dripping honey, however, I knew that the translucid yellow substance made you yearn for more, gluing you together until water pushed you away.

“I see.” I commented coldly before glancing over at him. “Can I ask you something?”

“...” Bradley appeared unsure of what I meant to ask but, even then, he nodded, allowing me to go forward with my desires.

“Why are you so persistent? Why do you keep following me around?” His eyes widened at my question and soon after his brows furrowed down as if he was deeply lost in thought.

I was tired.

Very tired.

I was done with the game I never wanted to play in the first place. I didn’t want him following me around and messing up with my plans. I didn’t want any more problems to arise.

“Because...” He swallowed down his words, insecure about his own feelings.

“Bradley, my sister is a beautiful woman, I’m sure you will be happy with her but this little game ends now.” I showed him a painful smile and he scratched his head strongly.

Part of this futile demonstration was an act since I realized that giving him the cold shoulder and screwing him over only fueled this toxic relationship further, however, the other part was my real feelings, my real pain, my real exhaustion.

“But I don’t want your sister.” He approached me but Jade promptly stopped him by placing his hand on Bradley’s chest. He scorned, unpleased with the situation.

“Sometimes you can’t get everything you want.” I stated before removing the ponytail allowing my hair to fall down to my back. “I will never want you but I’m sure you know that already, isn’t that why you want me in the first place?”

‘The fruit that you cannot touch is always the juiciest, isn’t it?’ I thought to myself while observing his painful expression appear once again. Even then he didn’t show any sign of intending to give up, not even when he knew he was clearly causing me distress.

After that night at the ball, I actually thought that Bradley might not be that much of a bad person but by seeing his intense persistence and egoism, I can clearly tell how wrong I was. He only cares about himself, like any other man.

“I’m going to be as clear as I possibly can my lord. Leave me alone or I will make sure you regret it.” Without allowing him to speak I quickly leave and head towards the entrance of the mansion, followed by Jade who protected me from their overwhelming gazes.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

“Lady Ophelia...!” As I was about to enter the house I see Martin running full speed in my direction.

Bradley was passing through in the background and, even if I felt his pitiful gaze upon me I ignored it completely. I wasn’t going to give any further chances to that animal. Soon enough the carriage left and the head of the guards straightened up his body.

“Are you alright?” I questioned when I noticed the sweat drops falling from his pores. His breath was also slightly unsteady, most likely from the heavy armor, he was wearing.

‘Wasn’t he suspended...?’ Looking at him dressed in his regular attire made me raise my suspicions.

“I found it...!” He quickly opened his hands to disclosure a beautiful green jewel.

‘This is...!’ My eyes widened at his discovery.

“A cuff...! Ah!” Gently I grabbed the jewel and started analyzing it through. “It seems our culprit isn’t as smart as he originally thought.”

I hand over the jewel to Jade who began to observe it carefully.

“Now we can make some progress...” I commented before seeing Martin’s eyes sparkle with excitement.

“We just need to find out who it belongs to! I will tell the Duke and we will investigate the servant’s...” I let out a loud sigh making him swallow back his own words.

“This doesn’t belong to a servant.” I declared politely.

“Then is it from a noble? Why would a noble do this to Dan?” Martin’s little grey cells were twisting and turning inside his mind as he tried to reach a conclusion.

“It wasn’t a noble either.” He appeared to be extremely confused but I simply explained. “This cuff is too expensive for a commoner to afford so it couldn’t possibly belong to a servant but it is too cheap for a high noble... This cuff must belong to a low ranking noble or an extremely close servant.”

“How can we find the owner then? It is close to impossible!” Martin was a great guard and knight but that’s all he was. It seemed as if his logical side was lacking compared to his physique but, after treating his subordinates as friends and almost losing an arm for them, it is not surprising.

“It is quite simple actually.” I grinned. “Find where the cuff was made and we will have our intruder.”

5