[WP] The complicated relationship between an immortal and someone who remembers their past lives. The sun was setting upon the vast mountains of the
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[WP] The complicated relationship between an immortal and someone who remembers their past lives.

The sun was setting upon the vast mountains of the north. The winter chill blew away the ragged flag on the village head’s house.

 

“Frey, where’s my axe?” yelled Aidan, the village head. Tall and bulky, rough hands and carefully braided hair. He had searched everywhere.

“It’s outside, by the shed.” answered a young red-haired woman. “Where are you going?”

“We gonna raid a Roman town with the boys. Be back before Spring,” he said, then kissed his wife goodbye before leaving.

 

-----

“Mary, have you seen my sword?”

“My name is Joan.” yelled back a black-haired middle-aged woman.

“Since when?”

“Since 30 years ago. You gave your sword to the blacksmith boy to sharpen. Where are you going?”

“Argh. I need to go to Jerusalem with King Philip.”

“Again? You’ve just returned from there.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back before you die.”

Joan sighed, “You men and war.”

 

---

“Elize, where is my compass?”

“I already told you my name is Agnes. And, yes, I’ve been Agnes for 20 years now.”

“It’s not my fault. You change names so often.”

Agnes giggled, “I wonder how you can manage your life when I’m not around. You’re so forgetful.”

Aidan swept his wife and kissed her, “And, you grow more beautiful each passing life.”

“It’s in your office. On your desk, in plain sight.” She pouted, “You’re always leaving me to wander around.”

“Want to come with me this time? They discovered a new continent in the West, let’s go explore.”

 

---

“Vicky, why didn’t you buy some rum?”

“For the last time, my name is Alice. There’s a prohibition right now, honey. Stop wasting money, if you crash the market again, I’ll be mad!”

 

---

“Shannon, let’s go! If we’re late, we’re going to miss the Moon landing.”

“Who? Who’s Shanon? Did you cheat on me?”

“My bad,” Aidan hugged his wife tightly, “Karen, don’t be mad. I’ll remember. I promise.”

 

---

The moon was bright and full that night. The park near the hospital was silent. Through an open window, an old lady was gazing at the sky. Her grey and wrinkled face were peaceful. By her side, Aidan was stroking her hand and humming softly. Echo of ancient songs and forgotten stories.

 

“It’s time,” the old lady turned to the man whose appearance hadn’t changed for aeons. “I’m going now. I love you. See you soon.”

“I love you too. See you soon.”

 

A high pitched whistle pierced through the dark night. The door opened on a nurse in blue scrub. She walked to the bed and checked the various monitors. “I’m sorry.”

 

Aidan stood up and gently kissed the old lady’s forehead, “Don’t be. We’ll see each other again soon enough.”

 

1