Chapter 12: Family Ties (1)
7.6k 14 191
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kotori had stayed in the village for about 3 months now

Frankly, it felt odd living here to her, nobody was forcing her to do anything which was a big difference from her life living on the farm. Where she would be dragged to go work in the fields every day.

Incidentally, she lived with Amelie who was considered an adult by this world standards, and thus lived alone. Kotori herself was also getting closer to adulthood and passed her birthday quietly without anybody to celebrate with. She herself only knew her birthday had passed after she checked her status one day and realized her age had gone from five to six.

Every day, she would generally stay at Amelie's house and wait for the people of the village to get back.

She did try to make herself useful sometimes by playing her flute for the villagers when they came back but it seems her presence wasn't particularly important to anybody.

In all honesty, she felt like a pet. She also learned that although the Boss was a scary person, she was actually quite nice. When Kotori asked her for something, she would often be rudely told off by the boss, and somehow Kotori would still receive the item later through one of her henchwomen.

For example, once Kotori asked for some new clothes since her own clothes were tattered and worn. And the Boss responded very harshly

"What am I? your mother!" She said.

Then the next day Amelie came to her with a large package and said that one of the Boss's warriors had gifted it to her.

When Kotori looked inside, she saw a large swath different from the mottled green clothing that Amelie wore. They all seemed to fit her reasonably well too.

Kotori would often watch the Bosses face when talking to her. When the Boss was talking directly to her she had a constant scowl on her face and an unapproachable atmosphere. Despite that, the moment she thought Kotori wasn't looking that expression would turn into one of worry and concern, and then immediately flip back to her normal combative expression when she notices Kotori looking.

Kotori began to conclude that the Boss was actually a very nice person. And although she had a hard exterior, she actually wasn't very mean at all.

Still, Kotori was beginning to feel restless.

When she asked if she could help with anything around the village the Boss only said

"Small fry like you would only bring others down!"

After knowing the Boss a bit more, Kotori didn’t think the boss hated her but rather was trying to protect her in her obtuse own way.

[She really is a soft person.] Kotori would often think.

But that didn't mean the boss was a weak person. It was quite the opposite. The few times Kotori saw the boss fight, which was whenever she sparred with the other warriors in the village. It was quite an impressive sight. She swung her metal club like it was a wooden switch and with frightening accuracy. Her swings whistled in the air and Kotori felt like they would crush her head if they hit her.

Kotori had also begun to learn the nature of the village from Amelie. Apparently, this was a village of "Wood Elves" which led Kotori to be surprised. Typically, Wood Elves in fantasy settings seemed to be a very kind and gentle race. This world seemed to flip it on its head. When Kotori asked Amelie about why the Wood Elves were such meat heads Amelie explained that Wood Elves had to be strong. They live in a forest filled with dangerous beasts after all. Still, that didn't explain why most of the warriors happened to be women which Kotori accepted as a quirk of wood elf society.

When Kotori asked why Amelie wasn't a part of the warrior group. Amelie only gave her a sad smile.

"I'm not actually a pure-blood wood elf."

This surprised Kotori. She had assumed that since Amelie had pointed ears she was one of them.

"You aren’t?” Kotori asked looking at Amelie’s ears

Amelie rubbed her ears sheepishly.

"You see, I'm only half. My mother left the village when she was younger to become an adventurer and married another human adventurer outside the village." Amelie explained

Apparently, Adventuring is a very dangerous job and thus she was orphaned when she was young as a result.

"But the Boss has been very nice to me," Amelie said instantly defending the Boss.

Kotori gave her a side-eye

"Honestly, I know she looks mean, but she is really nice, believe me" Amelie said

Kotori didn't speak; she was aware of the fact the Boss had a secret soft side. She was no stranger to it herself and often a recipient of it.

Amelie sighed and started speaking to herself.

"I just wished she'd let me join them, we're family after all"

They did share the same burnt orange hair color but Kotori assumed that was a coincidence. She didn't see any resemblance in their faces.

Amelie, noticing Kotori's confusion, tried to explain.

"I take after my father, My mother was the Boss's sister. That's why she lets me stay in the village."

[ahh that why]

Kotori now realized why Amelie was not allowed to do any dangerous tasks. It was that overprotectiveness of the boss showing up again. She wanted to make sure her niece didn't hurt herself.

"Have you ever talked to the Boss in private?" she asked

What, No! The Boss is too important a person to take the time to talk to me alone" Amelie said.

Kotori internally sighed "Look Amelie I'm sure the Boss would be willing to listen to you."

Amelie looked hesitant. She was listening to advise from a 6-year-old after all.

"You really think she would take the time to listen to me"

"Look," Kotori said sternly

"you need to let the boss know what you want."

Amelie still looked on edge about asking the boss for anything

Kotori wanted to get stronger and train and took this as an opportunity to help and friend and achieve that goal 

"If you're so concerned about doing it yourself, I'll help you talk to the boss."

Amelie seemed to like the proposal

"I guess… Would she really accept" she asked hesitantly.

"Yes," Kotori said without a doubt in her heart.

This seemed to give confidence to Amelie and she hardened her resolve

"Okay! We'll talk to the Boss tonight."

That night when the warriors streamed in from finishing their day's work. Amelie didn't relax. In fact, she was very tense. It was her first time asking something from the boss and she was very anxious.

The groups of people began to grow numerous and pile in. Soon a group of Amazonesses appeared. Amelie appeared to balk when they showed up. But a shove from Kotori forced her to move forward. When she walked towards the group Kotori could hear Amelie audibly gulp. Amelie asked a warrior where the boss was and quickly got an answer. The warriors all seemed to treat Amelie quite well which lent to Kotori's theory that the Boss was actually just trying to protect Amelie by keeping her near the village and safe.

As they approached the Boss Kotori could see Amelie trembling.

The boss herself appeared to be having a serious conversation with one of her warriors. Kotori was bad with names, but she remembered this one since she was the Boss's, right-hand woman. Her name was Mari and she led one of the main warbands.

The boss noticing them quickly barked

"Watcha want!"

Amelie shrunk back

"I Umm.."

"Spit it out!"

She regained her confidence

"I want to speak to you privately today!"

Then immediately shrank back

"What! You think I have time to waste with you." The boss said and immediately shooed them away

Amelie sunk her shoulders. It seemed her one moment of confidence was rejected in an instant

Kotori who was standing beside Amelie quickly blurted

"You should listen to Amelie more! She's your family!"

The boss immediately trained her gaze on Kotori

"What business do you have with me freeloader"

Kotori instinctively took a step back. The boss's glare was like a predator looking at prey.

[This woman really is scary when she wants to be] she thought

"Amelie has something really important to tell you!" her voice slightly trembling intimidate by the Boss.

The Boss looked away with and Harrumphed.

She seemed to have no more interest in keeping the conversation open.

Kotori and Amelie, noticing this, decided to leave. 

Amelie held tears walking back. Kotori only comforted her by patting her back.

"It was a good try," she said softly

"Mhmm"

Amelie said, choking back tears.

They retired back to the cabin in defeat

...

That night there was a visitor.

When Kotori opened the door to the house she saw Mari standing outside the doorway

She only said one sentence 

"The Boss is waiting at her house for you,"

then nodded and left.

191