Chapter 109: Shifting tides
1.6k 3 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ah, That Mr. Gerard sure is troublesome,” Fawk said palming his chin.

“So you’re not surprised to hear I’m an outlaw?” Kotori asked

After Hatake left, Kotori informed Fawks of the events that had transpired.

“I already knew,” Fawks said shrugging his shoulders

“And you didn’t report me?” Kotori said

“I’m a prince, I don’t need the money. The wheat you were selling was more valuable anyway.” Fawks said smiling

It was true, Fawks probably had no need for money. He was a prince of the kingdom or Eris.

Though, this led Kotori to wonder. Fawks was the “third prince” she assumed that meant he had at least two brothers above him. Fawks was a very competent person she wondered why he was not pursuing the crown. Were his brothers truly that much more competent than he was?

Fawks assured her that he would protect her once the scheme was over. Flare was technically a “free city” after all to promote economic commerce. The kingdom enjoyed a monopoly over the political decisions but once Fawks evened up the Sea Lord council they would be stonewalled by an Eris coalition.

“By the way, do you know where we can pick up that wheat?” Fawks said casually

[Oh right, we still have a deal…] Kotori thought.

She gave him the instruction and told him where to send the excess wheat and rice.

“Do you need me to commission the carriages?” Kotori asked him.

Fawks waved her off.

“I’ll deal with it, don’t worry about it.”

He bent forward in his chair.

“This Gerard still is quite annoying though, to think he would try and buy you off, it seems I need to hurry up and finish my preparations” He muttered to himself

“How goes the business with Bellmont” Kotori asked.

Fawks gave a lukewarm expression,

“So, So, He’s an ambitious man but it’s a little difficult to get him to trust me. Do you have any ideas?”

“Well, I could charm him…” Kotori thought

The problem with that plan was a result of her charm skill being only a temporary status effect. They would still remember that they were charmed afterward.

[Wait, can’t I use that?] Kotori thought

Perhaps they didn’t even need to trick Bellmont to get what they wanted.

Even though, the effect of charm would wear off after use. If the charmed person still remembered what the experience felt like, Kotori could perhaps condition him.

[It’s called “positive conditioning” right?]

If Kotori could meet with Bellmont and charm him each time, she could perhaps have him dancing in the palm of her hand.

Even if the effects wore off it might be possible to make him fall in love with her.

It was a classic honeypot tactic.

Well, Kotori didn’t much like the idea of being a honeypot but it was only temporary anyway. She would get rid of Bellmont afterwards. All Atleans were scum in her mind anyway.

Kotori explained her new plan to Fawks.

Upon hearing her idea he stroked his chin. Fawks looked like he had neglected to take care of himself recently, there was a small bit of stubble on his and dark bags under his eyes. Kotori felt bad she had been pushing quite a bit of work onto Fawks and he didn’t complain once.

“That… would be helpful” Fawks said

Even though, Fawks was trying to hide it Kotori could see a bit of relief on his face. In some way, Kotori felt like helping him out at least.

Fawks explained the next time that he was planning on meeting with Fawks. Bellmont likely knew about Kotori and she would have to plan their encounter accordingly.

“Actually, don’t let him know. Make it a surprise” Kotori said

“Eh?” Fawks said in response

“Mind telling me your reasoning?”

“I don’t think he’ll be willing to meet with me, I’m not a sea lord, it’s too suspicious for him”

“I see…” Fawks said

Fawks could regularly meet with Bellmont on account of their social position despite being members of different factions they would still need to discuss things like administration of the city among other bureaucratic things.

Kotori was an outside. Since Mr. Gerard already knew that she was associated with Fawks it would be too suspicious to have her meet with Bellmont intentionally.

“In that case, I’ll tell you where we were supposed to meet. You can go in lieu of me.” Fawks said.

“Sounds good” Kotori said.

Operation seduction is a go!

 

Bleb bleb bleb

56