Chapter 141: Meeting Mama(2)
1.4k 8 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The queen now turned her attention to Kotori’s party.

“An elf? We don’t have many of those around here, she’s a bit tall for my liking but she will serve fine as handmaiden I guess” The queen said looking at Amelie.

Amelie gave a slightly pained smile after hearing the passive-aggressive comments from the Queen. The queen was only half correct considering Amelie was a half-elf.

“These other two are fabulous. Oh my, what delicate features, why did you pick this one Fawks? Look at her lovely demeanor what a queenly appearance.” The queen noted while gesturing towards Umi.

Umi seemed to enjoy herself.

[I quite like this lady] Umi said using [Spirit Seer] It was useful a tool, that most normal people couldn’t hear unless they had the skills

[You only like her because she complimented you!]

Suddenly Kotori’s thoughts were interrupted.

“Well, I’m glad to hear you like me it would do no good if I made a bad impression,” The queen said.

[Eh? She had [Spirit Seer] too?] Kotori thought. The only way the Queen could’ve heard that was if she had that skill.

The queen cackled.

“Dear, don’t play your cards so soon. So these are spirits then? Their form manifestation is quite good.” She said 

[This lady is too smart for her own good.] Kotori thought dryly. The queen gave off the impression of an easygoing person but based on this reception she could tell the queen was an extremely perceptive person. The easygoing attitude was likely a ruse to lull the other party into a more relaxed attitude.

The queen had the [Spirit Seer] skill and she could’ve pretended that she didn’t hear the conversation between Kotori and Umi. The fact she decided to comment on it must’ve been an intentional choice on her part. She was showing off, letting Kotori know not to treat her lightly.

[How terrifying.] Kotori thought The queen was an excellent manipulator. She didn’t seem like a good fighter but she was very smart.

“This other lady I assume is a spirit as well? Her form manifestation is even harder to notice than the other spirits. In fact, it doesn’t look like an imitation rather it looks real.”

The queen started pinching Layla’s cheeks. Layla who had the social tact now to not protest was giving Kotori a look like “Save me”

Kotori gave her a look back that said

“Endure it please!”

Thus, Layla continued to endure the cheek onslaught by Fawk’s mother. Kotori grimaced empathetically, the Queen had quite a cheek pinch.

Once the queen was done pinching Layla’s cheeks, she spoke again.

“You two are lovely, but I’m going to have to have you both wear something more appropriate, something that accentuates your… features.”

[More appropriate?] Kotori thought. Layla who wore a Miko outfit and Umi who wore Yukata did look odd among the people here but Kotori didn’t think it was much of an issue. Apparently, the queen was unhappy with their appearance. It felt like a mother chiding her children though, so Kotori was unsure of how serious the queen was being.

“That style of clothing may sit well from whatever country this little lady comes from, but it will not do here.” The queen said.

“I will have some clothing sent to your rooms” She clapped her hands, and another attendant ran off to complete the orders.

“Mother, you don’t have too-” Fawks started to say before a clap interrupted him.

“My My, would you look at the time,” The queen said looking at a Water clock that was placed in the room.

“It’s been great catching up dear, but I am a busy woman and I have other matters to attend too. We are holding a banquet with your siblings and the others nobles please don’t miss it. It would be a shame for you to miss your social debut” The queen said, putting extra emphasis on the words “Social Debut”

[So this is an order rather than an invitation.] Kotori could tell that the feast was not meant to be a celebratory affair and rather a wy for her to size up the competition. In other words, it was a trial before a trial.

She knew that Fawks had two other brothers but the addition of a sister threw a wrench in her plans. She also didn’t know any of the other queen's candidates. Fawks had also been unhelpful in giving her information as well. He wasn’t ever planning on fielding a candidate and thus didn’t keep up to date with his siblings and their candidates.

Kotori would have to use this “feast” to learn as much as she could before the actual trials had begun.

Based on Fawk’s reaction to the mention of his sister she seemed like the most dangerous person.

Bleb Bleb Bleb

 

43