Chapter 191: The New Girl
1.6k 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryla had heard the news faster than anyone else, her information network was formidable with how many people lived in the slums that she had saved. Still, the news surprised her.

Her brother Fawks had come back with a girl.

[Tch, so annoying] She thought

Ryla had planned for Fawks to stay out of the race and in the city of Flare. She had tried to scare Fawks away, but it seemed like he was more persistent than she thought.

It was another externality she had to control and now she knew her mother was going to get involved in the queen’s candidate race. For some reason, she seemed to dote on Fawks. Although it was strictly forbidden for the acting ruler to give preferential treatment Ryla, had no doubt that the queen would meddle to get him on even footing with the other.

What concerned Ryla, even more, was the girl who Fawks had brought along as his queen’s candidate. She was a fairly good-looking girl, but nothing extraordinary. Ryla had no information on her background or who she was. All she knew was that the girl was someone that Fawks picked up in Flare.

And what bothered Ryla further was the three figures that tailed her. It was two women and a man. Although, from what she could tell they weren’t human. Although higher-level spirits with humans forms weren’t impossible to find, it was still an extraordinary coincidence that the girl had three of them acting as her followers.

She bit her thumb, a bad habit of her when she was stressed, the skin on it had already become calloused and she gnawed on it while scheming in her head.

At the very least, her scouts had told her that the girl had a fairly weak disposition. Ryla wished to use [Status] to gauge how strong she was.

It was a useful skill, something she had picked up after spending quite a long amount of time evaluating people and their relative strength. Her brothers would’ve had the skill if it weren’t for the fact that they were practically handed willing doners.

Ryla had been able to keep up in political capital, but just barely.

[At the very least I get to see Fawks again] She thought.

The last time she had seen Fawks he had a scared expression on his face, it was the day he set to travel for Flare and make his name as a merchant which was over three years ago. She hadn’t seen him ever since, although she had seen the foodstuffs laden ships he had sent back he had never once come back to visit.

The faint glimpse of Fawks that she saw from the palace terrace showed a very similar expression.

He still had that scared look.

[Well, he’s always been a scaredy-cat like me] Ryla thought fondly. She did feel bad for Fawks all of the siblings have consolidated their power bases now, there would be very few people willing to support Fawks at this point.

[I doesn’t matter, I will win this sit tight please] Ryla pleaded internally.

** ** **

Ryla stared around the party. The girl that Fawks brought being being “debuted” today. Although, it was still difficult for Ryla to get close.

The girl had talked to Mathias and Zacariah. Based on her demeanor Ryla could tell that she was being insulated and protect by the spirits.

[Why did he pick such a weak girl…] Ryla thought.

The girl was pretty enough, but not exceptionally beautiful.

[He couldn’t have been seduced by her right?] Ryla’s spy had told her of Fawk’s “female companions” in Flare. She highly doubts such an unassuming girl would be able to capture his heart.

Still, a slight fear gripped her heart.

[Get away from my little brother!] She thought. Ryla’s expression soured, and she walked up to the girl to meet her. The girl was stuffing her face at the banquet table.

[She too carefree!] Ryla thought.

The girl seemed to shy away upon seeing her.

[Mou, I scared her] Ryla thought. Her face had grown to have a scary appearance that made it looked like it was constantly scowling. Gildron told her it was because she was always furrowing her brow while deep in thought.

Ryla used [Status] on the girl.

[! What are these stats!] Ryla thought. The girl had quite an unusually high mana stats and another skill that she hadn’t seen before. The skill called “Gourmet” and “Magical Musician”

Ryla felt a buzzing sensation like she was being scanned with [Status].

[Ecchi!] She thought. Status was a skill that a few people had but only the users of it could tell when it was being used against each other.

Sorry late!

28