Side Chapter: Private Tutoring
385 5 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This chapter is 100% plot free!

 

---Far across the ocean, at the Royal Academy of Science and Culture in Oestland, Terra---

 

The master began, “As you know, mana is an incredible energy source that not only exists in and affects the physical realm, but also nourishes the very realm of the actual human soul.“ He smacked the desk he leaned on, “Furthermore! Brilliant scientists such as I have determined that naturally-occurring mana will continue to accumulate over time, leading to the oldest living beings having the richest concentrations of mana, excluding the anomaly of mana cultivators, of course. Since they unnaturally gather mana into their meridians.”

The apprentice complained, “I understand, but if you know that I already know all this, why tell me again?”

“Well,” the master stroked his thin beard and looked into the distance, displaying his great wisdom, “Perhaps any stray ears may edify their owners... Besides, a little review never hurt anyone.”

The apprentice stared blankly at his master for a moment before asking, “So, given that we already know all this, what’s the point?”

“THE! POINT! IS!” the old man shouted, striking his hands together with each word, “I can now explain why you youngsters keep running off to the colonies and never finish your graduate studies!”

“What? I thought you were going to say something important.”

“This is important! All my best drones- I mean, students of course, leave me here to manage the projects I assigned them. And also,” he hurriedly continued, cutting off his apprentice’s next remark, “I know why powerful cultivators tend to arise from the colonies, and I know the reason behind those baffling reports of monsters resembling people.”

“Now that is indeed more interesting…” the apprentice mumbled to himself.

“Exactly exactly. Witness my genius in action, and allow me to elucidate for you.”

The old master loudly cleared his throat and the apprentice rolled his eyes, both preparing in their own way for the impending lecture.

“It is a fact that colonial Avalon has been untouched by man since time immemorial. That territory is covered with old growth forests and jungles, and the beasts of its fields grow endlessly, feeding on one another and passing along their energy. As such, its living beings and mana-conductive metals have accumulated immense amounts of mana. Cultivators who practice there surely have every advantage over cultivators at home, thus explaining their relative strength.”

The master stopped, making sure his apprentice’s attention hadn’t wandered off yet, then he continued.

“My unworthy students abandon the Institute to seek power in those most distant lands, rather than pursuing wisdom and knowledge here, at the heart of the world!” He shook his head sadly. “I cannot express my disappointment in words.”

The apprentice shifted himself around on his stool, groaning. The master spoke again.

“I theorize that abnormal mana concentrations have corrupted the native creatures, transforming them into monsters that can cultivate. Imagine, a wolf with meridians, or even an ash pine that can circulate mana! It may sound absurd to a layperson, but I deem such an explanation appropriate for the absurd idea of monsters that can wield magic and shape themselves as humans, mimicking our looks and speech.”

“See that actually sounds cool,” the apprentice replied, then added, “wolf people huh? I wonder just how accurately they can imitate a woman.” He let out a weird laugh, before the master threw a chalk at him.

“You disgusting wretch! All you think about is girls. Focus on the magic! THE MAGIC!”

 

17