CH144
2.5k 4 109
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Days of travel passed but they’d finally made it to their destination. After making it through the gate, the cost for the next carriage to their destination of syro village was significantly more expensive. Unlike their initial ride from Stonewall, which would stop at other villages along the way so they could expect a constant stream of passengers and end with a more reasonable price overall, the one to syro had none of that.

Apparently, the small village was in the opposite direction of the gate they’d come out of from the next major city, and with only a few small towns in the area the cost went up and departure times were significantly more restricted.

All of this led to the place Ben saw in front of him; a rundown village filled with old, dilapidated houses and the sort of atmosphere that made him want to immediately turn back. From what he could see, there couldn’t have been more than one hundred people living there and even that felt like a bit too much. Even if it would take a few days, he would have thought that more people would move to the thriving city just a little while away, or at least one of the towns in its vicinity. But then again, plenty of people found themselves attached to their homes, who was he to judge?

Rather than dwell on it he wanted to do what he’d come here for, freeing Sachel and getting home. With that goal in mind, they walked past the houses and fields, looking for a building around that might have someone with a position of authority in it they could talk to when Ben started to notice something strange.

“Hey Thera, you notice anything odd about the people here?”

“You mean like how nobody will catch our eye?”

“No, I mean sure that’s odd too, but I feel like we’ve only seen women out.”

Young and old, all at varying levels of health, but there wasn’t a single male to be seen unless, of course, their race just didn’t have much differences between genders. Everyone was basically a standard hominid type, the main difference from himself was their dark green flesh with leaves and flowers growing out with their hair, and they were all distinctly feminine in appearance. He couldn’t be sure that wasn’t simply how both genders looked, but still, it felt odd.

“I’m not certain, but I’ve heard before that dryads are an entirely female race.”

“Wait, really? How does that work?”

“Ben, you can’t just ask things like that,” She said quietly, hoping none of the villagers around heard him. “Some races aren’t super open about those sorts of things.”

“Does that mean you don’t know?”

“Uhg, no I have a bit of an idea. Supposedly they’re able to reproduce with different trees, with the children taking on some of the traits depending on the species.”

“Hmm? Wait, that just raises some more questions. Like, if they normally reproduce with trees then how could a mixed breed like Sachel exist?”

“One of the aspects of the system the gods placed on all of the races that came to the world was to help facilitate reproduction between races, it’s kind of why I’m able to exist.”

“Yeah, I get that but pollination is different from the more fleshy stuff most races do, and given how they’re built it looks like dryads were probably able to manage that before they came to the world, so why is trees the norm for their species instead of just having two genders?”

“Ben, I’m begging you to leave it at that before anyone hears and we’re kicked out of town.”

His curiosity still nagged at him, but he resolved to question Sachel on it later; he had other things to deal with for the meantime.

“Alright, alright, I’ll be good. Since I’m not seeing anything that stands out here building-wise I’m going to ask for directions, give me a minute.”

He spotted a dryad walking by and tried to wave them down, putting on his best smile and cheeriest attitude as if he were trying to make a sale in the shop only to be quickly ignored.

Okay, maybe that one was a little shy.

Not letting it get to him he tried again, this time a bit more forcefully.

“Excuse me,” He said, quickly rushing up to the next person he saw and trying to keep the same friendly attitude. “I was sent to talk to the leader of the village, I was hoping you might direct me?”

This time went marginally better, at least in the sense that the woman he walked up to made eye contact before turning around and walking the opposite direction.

Okay, maybe the issue is me? If they aren’t used to guys then it’s time to tap out.

“Alright Thera, your turn to make an attempt.”

She seemed put off but gave it a try, walking up to the nearest person and asking them.

“Excuse me, could you tell me-”

Only for them to walk away before she could get another word out.

Ben could only groan. He didn’t think things would be such a pain just upon arrival. All he wanted was some directions, was that too much to ask?

“Hey Myriad, you around?” I could use some help.”

<Hmm? I’m available, what’s the issue?>

“I can’t even get anyone to tell me where to find the person in charge. Think you could direct me?”

His god agreed, all the while muttering about what a bad sign it was for them to be having issues as soon as they arrived, but soon enough they were led to a house that looked like any other. It looked old and broken down, with a fence around it in a serious state of disrepair, yet at the same time a lush vegetable garden all around it. As a race that naturally possessed plant magic, it seemed they had no issue keeping themselves fed, but managing everything else was a whole other story.

He tried to ignore it though, that wasn’t what he was there for so he went up and knocked on the door, waiting for an answer that didn’t come.

“Uh, Myriad? Is anyone home?”

<She should be in there, it looks like you’re just being ignored.>

“Of course I am,” He sighed, bringing Thera up to speed and making a choice as to what to do next. He was here to negotiate for Sachel and basically act as a diplomat, he couldn’t just be chaotic or annoying to try and force her out to talk, so what did that leave if she wouldn’t answer the door?

I guess I’ll try patience for now. He thought to himself, taking a seat and leaning against the house.

“Ben, what are you doing?”

“Waiting. I won’t be rude and annoying until I get an answer, I’m just going to sit here and knock occasionally until someone comes out.”

“I’m just saying, if they don’t want to talk we could just go home, I’m sure Sachel and the rest will manage,” Ben gave her a look and Thera waved it off. “Yeah yeah, I know. At least I have some books to pass the time,” She said before sitting down beside him.

 


 

He was about to give the door a knock for the fourth time in as many hours when it finally opened. He looked up and put on his best smile, only to see an elderly dryad glaring down at him.

“In the name of all that’s good, what do you want?” She asked in a huff, clearly annoyed they hadn’t given up and left for somewhere else after waiting so long.

Ben though wouldn’t let that get to him. He’d been too patient to allow the fact that they’d been forced to wait for so long get to him.

“Hello there,” He started, voice filled with a level of cheer he just didn’t feel. “I was told you’re in charge of the village, might I bother you for a bit of your time?”

“If I say no, will you leave?”

“No, but I’ll stop knocking and just get ready to make camp out here. Maybe I’ll be lucky and you'll be in the mood to chat tomorrow,” To emphasize the point, he reached into his spacial bag and started pulling out a tent before her eyes, getting ready to set it up.

She groaned, muttering something about ‘damnable outsiders’ before giving in and talking. “Fine, what do you want and make it fast before I just kick you out myself.”

“It’s nothing crazy, I’ve heard that an acquaintance of mine, Sachel had been imprisoned for going into your sacred forest. I’m just here to see if I can negotiate her release.”

“And how exactly did you manage to hear about this?” She asked, her tone changing from annoyed to angry for reasons Ben couldn’t understand.

From here, Ben wasn’t sure if telling the truth was the right choice to make. Should he be honest that he was the apostle of her god and heard it from Myriad? Given the fact that he convinced her to convert which contributed to getting her imprisoned to begin with, there was a decent chance that wouldn’t go over exceptionally well. On the other hand, maybe it would lend him a level of authority he could take advantage of to help their discussions, it was hard to say.

For the time being, he decided to not commit to either action, just leaving the door open to the reveal should it become necessary. “I heard it from my god. Since we were already acquainted and there weren’t many others he could ask, the request was made to me.”

Her eyes widened and she seemed taken aback at first, before hiding some of her emotions. “Hmph, if that’s the case I guess I can see why you’ve been so determined, but they’ll be serving their sentence for trespassing unless you intend to pay their fine.”

“Wait, what? Just a fine? How much is it? For that matter, how long would they be imprisoned for if I don’t pay?”

“It’s two months imprisonment for entering the forest. As for the fine…”

She pulled out her card and added the amount into it, leaving it out to read and for him to tap should he choose to.

“What! That’s like a year of living expenses! Couldn’t I just let them wait it out instead? There should only be about a month and a half left, right?”

<Please don’t,> myriad asked desperately in his mind, causing Ben to deflate.

Of course you don’t want me to take the easy and cheap route out.

<She’s trying to get Sachel to convert back! I can’t be losing a believer this soon!>

Sachel’s already pretty deeply devoted; it's fine. He thought while sighing.

“Any chance I could see them before deciding?”

With a nod and a wave of her hand, the elderly dryad brought her out around to the back of the house. Neither he nor Thera knew what to expect, but it seemed like just an empty lot. He was actually surprised there wasn’t just another garden like had been out front, but found the answer before he knew it as the village head reached down and revealed a thick wooden hatch, previously hidden by grass and moss growing over top of it.

She pulled out an old key, sinking it into a hole in the door, before pulling the entire thing up, revealing stairs leading into the earth.

 

So I completely forgot what day of the week it was till I opened my phone today, man was that a shock, I feel like two full days just disappeared. On a more story related topic I continue to do my best to avoid having to ever actually state the financial system of the world. Trying to ensure prices make sense is an added level of difficulty I'll avoid at all costs.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the weekend, as always I'm back on sunday!

109