Chapter 2- New Life
2.6k 9 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As of right now, I and the prisoner were seated outside my tent. The prisoner was kneeling in front of me with his hands bound, while I lazily sat on a stool that I had borrowed from the merchant. 

“Alright I’d like you to answer some questions,” I told the prisoner curtly. “Every time you lie I’ll cut off a finger.”

I actually can’t tell if he lies, but I’m hoping this bluff will convince him to be honest. To ensure my chances, I began sharpening my dagger right in front of him. 

“I said I’m willing to talk, just spare me!” he cried.

“Are there any other bandits around here?” I asked while repeatedly tapping my foot.

“There might be some other groups, but my entire group died last night.”

“Do you know where the other groups might be?”

“Not a clue, we mostly kept to ourselves.”

Unfortunately I don't have any way of confirming this. So it's in my best interest that I prevent him from attaining any form of communication. Perhaps a gag might be useful if we decide to keep him with us. 

“By the looks of it, you and your friends weren’t ordinary bandits," I continued. "You aren’t locals but foreigners right?” 

“Yeah," he answered nervously. "We were mercenaries from the Southern Marches.”

“But the war against Ahriman already ended nearly two month ago," I remarked. "Did you start raiding because you were unsatisfied with the spoils you received?”

“It’s exactly as you said, but can I ask you a question?” he said as bravely as he could.

“What is it?” I said curtly.

“You’re from the Marches too right?" he questioned. "I can tell by the way you look and your accent.” 

“Ok, and?” I replied lazily.

Although caught off guard by my remark, he mustered his courage for a verbal gamble. “Then please let me go, I swear as a fellow countryman I’ll never do this again. In the name of Amiran, I promise I’ll live a virtuous life.” 

He didn’t say anything about a wife and kids, but that makes sense since he looks to be twenty at most. Most likely he’s a son far down in the line of succession who had taken to mercenary work in hopes of finding fortune. 

“Alright, I won’t kill you,” I answered with a shrug. “But I do intend to give you to the guards at the next town. There's been a shortage of laborers in Stygia ever since the war ended. I’m sure you’ll spend your time as an indentured worker well.”

“No please, just let me go,” the man pleaded. 

“If I let you go now you’ll probably resort to crime later on," I explained. "It’s better that you atone to people you’ve been raiding right? Isn’t that the virtuous path for you?”

“.....” He just looked at me with defeated eyes. Compared to killing him or putting him in jail, I think servitude is better. More importantly, I get paid. 

After securing the prisoner, I informed the merchant about what I had learned. Though I told him to take it with a grain of salt. Most likely I would have to scout ahead for the rest of our trip as well.

“As expected from you, Iblis or should I say Azel, hero of the spear,” The merchant said with a smile. 

“I think you mistook me for the wrong person,” I said with a shrug. 

“I'm sorry, but all you did was change your name and grow out your hair," the merchant said firmly. "I remember seeing you at the parade three weeks ago in Megara. You were at the head with the other four heroes and I must say that your face is quite memorable.”

“That Azel fellow must be very good looking, but don’t you have a wife and kids?” I joked in an attempt to divert his attention.

“Very funny, but I’m talking about your expression," he continued on regardless. "Compared to the other heroes, you struck me as a black sheep. You have that cold look in your eyes, the look of a killer.”

I'm really at loss with this guy. He doesn't give up. Is he trying to win a battle of attrition and get me to admit my identity? Honestly, I wonder if it even matters. It's not like my appearance is even that remarkable, particularly because most people remember me wearing a different set of armor during the war.

“You do know all the heroes have killed plenty of people and monsters right...?” I pointed out. "Like that's been a norm for thousands of years."

“I know," he said calmly "But compared to the others, you look as though you possess a certain detachment. I saw it when you were fighting those bandits, not a hint of remorse in your eyes. Well I guess it’s only natural for someone called the Butcher of Beroea.” 

“If I was that person, wouldn't it be bad to provoke a mass murderer?” I asked with a wry smile. 

“Remember you’ll get a bad review for killing your employer.” the merchant chided. 

"I had no such intentions," I said slyly. "After all, I'm just a traveling warrior eager to explore the world."

"So Iblis," he said, sarcastically extending my fake name. "What made you decide to take the request to guard my caravan?"

“I wanted some company while I go to Stygia," I answered. "Sometimes a man feels the need for company."

“But what do you plan to do in Stygia?" he asked. "The land is still recovering from the war against Ahriman, do you plan to use the chaos to grab power?”

"How would I even grab power?" I wondered. "It sounds like a pain anyways."

"Fine, keep your secrets," the merchant sighed. "It seems like you're just going to lead me around the bush to nowhere."

"Lead you around?" I asked. "But I'm telling you the truth. Nothing I've said is a lie."

"I can't tell at this point," he complained. "Maybe there is a grain of truth in your words? Or perhaps you really are just washed up."

Well I wouldn't consider myself washed up. As of now, I'm just trying to avoid being used as a pawn by emperor Alexios and Hormzid. I even managed to requisition some funds, 92 denarii to be exact, and equipment from Alexios before I left the city of Megara. Though this was hardly won through my own merit. It was made possible mainly because I was the hero of the sword's best man. The same guy who married Alexios' daughter and the three other heroes. 

But I do know what I want to do. 

In the wake of the war against Ahriman, Stygia had been plunged into a period of instability. Although the Iasor and Zayid empires are trying to stabilize their portions of Stygia, the state of affairs is hardly stellar. Worse, I have no doubts that there will be people who try to take advantage of the chaos. 

I might not be a hero anymore. I even wonder if I was a hero to begin with. But I want to at least do my part in restoring the land where I once fought. 

53