Chapter 8-The Doux
1.9k 12 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our trip back to Jericho took a day and half. It was longer than the first trip, since we were now dragging a bunch of troll remains with us. 

The only important thing that happened on the way was when Sekh told us about her past as a soldier. Apparently she served as part of a light infantry detachment in the Zayid army during the war against Ahriman. John and I had a lot of fun talking war stories with her, John having served as part of an orcish shock troop contingent. 

Our group entered Jericho around noon, the lively chatter of the citizens greeting us as we arrived. 

“Let’s head to the Doux immediately,” I announced. “Sekh keep your hood down in case someone might recognize you and tip off the Myalo sellers.”

Sekh eagerly nodded while Theo and John looked at me in confusion. 

“Can’t we go to the Bureau first?” Theo complained. 

“It’s better we tip off the Doux as soon as possible,” I responded. “The longer we walk around, the higher the possibility that someone recognizes Sekh and tips off the Myalo sellers.”

John seemed to agree, but Theo still looked disgruntled. 

“Then how about we split up?” Theo suggested. “Me and John will go to the Bureau, while you and Sekh go to the Doux.” 

“I think it’s better that we go together,” I said, almost annoyed. “If we split up, you might get cut out of negotiating rewards.” 

Well this might actually happen. However, I want to keep my eye on everyone until we get to the Doux. If I let them off, there’s a possibility that one of them might tip off the Myalo sellers for an easy payment. But, I also want to get the meeting with the Doux over with as fast as possible. 

We made our way to the castle located atop a hill in the upper district. Although relatively small, the castle looked resplendent. The white stone that made up the walls looked as if they were set just yesterday. The guard patrols covered every angle of entry, watching the surroundings like eagles in the sky. 

Upon reaching the gate, we were approached by a pair of guards while the soldiers on the battlements gazed cautiously at us. 

“State your business,” the guard on the right stated curtly. 

“We have urgent business with the Doux,” I told him while taking out a medal from my bag. The item in my hand was a golden eagle tied to a blue string, an item issued to important individuals in the Iasor military. 

Still somewhat confused, the guard signaled to his peers to open the gate. We were then led into the keep where the Doux held audiences, while servants took care of our horses and baggage. 

The Doux’s office was a spacious room lined with bookshelves. In the center was a large, but low standing table accompanied by cushioned chairs. Sitting on a tall oaken chair was the Doux, a tall and powerfully built middle aged man. Upon noticing us, he lifted his eyes from a set of documents neatly arranged along his desk.

“Long time no see Azel,” the Doux said with an amused smile. 

Apart from John who looked like he understood the situation, Sekh and Theo seemed utterly confused by my conflicting names. I really wished he might have forgotten me, but that was impossible considering our relationship.

I responded almost dryly. “Likewise, Zeno. Let’s skip the formalities, I’ve got some important information concerning the Myalo trade in your city.”

Hearing this, Zeno’s face turned serious. He gave a gesture to one of the retainers in his office. The man then walked to the left and opened a small but thick door near a bookshelf. 

Zeno gestured for us to follow him into the smaller room. 

In contrast to his office, the room was small and spartan. Just a few chairs, a table, and a couple bottles of wine occupied the room. 

“This is my private room,” Zeno explained. “The walls should be thick enough that we won’t be overheard.”

“This girl here is Sekh,” I began. “She used to work for a certain merchant in Amorium named Zetis. Turns out he’s one of the members of the Myalo trade in this region.”

“I see,” Zeno replied, his gaze sharper than usual. “Sekh is it? Can you explain to me the details”

Despite her nervousness, Sekh immediately began filling him in on the situation. After explaining the situation to Zeno, Sekh gave him the documents regarding the Myalo transactions which Zeno carefully scanned. 

“The information does add up with what I’ve been hearing from my informants in the lower district,” Zeno said as he finished reading. “I’d like to give my thanks by offering my hospitality until we resolve this situation.”

Before I could say anything, Theo began talking. “We really appreciate your offer, but we’d like to go to the Labor Bureau to get our reward for killing some trolls.”

"Good grief Theo, take a hint," I thought. "It’s obvious he’s trying to keep us under witness protection until things are over." 

But Zeno isn’t one to be underestimated. “Oh, so you did the request concerning the trio of trolls? That’s quite impressive, since I only put out the request in hopes that the trolls would be dealt with faster. If that’s the case, I’ll pay you the reward and send a message to the Bureau regarding your success. I’ll also purchase any materials you harvested at a higher price.” 

Taken aback, Theo froze for a bit before responding. “In that case we’ll happily take the offer. I apologize for the inconvenience as well.” 

“There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be rewarded for hard work,” Zeno replied. “All of you may leave, my guard will escort you to a guest room. I’d like to chat for a bit with Azel here.” 

When they had left and closed the door, I started to talk. “Knowing how you are, I don’t believe we’ll just be chatting over nothing.”

“I’ll get to the point. With the information you brought me, my agents should be able to locate where the smuggling is taking place. However, I believe that some of the guards have been bought by the Myalo sellers. Because of that, I’d like for you and possibly your companions to help in the assault when the time comes. I also intend to put you in charge of the operation.”

Just like back during the war, Zeno hasn’t changed. Although he had mentored me during the campaign, he's rather fond of giving his students first hand experience. And it seems like things haven't changed.  

“What’s in it for me?” I asked.

“A handsome monetary reward,” Zeno informed me. “More importantly, I’ll throw in a good word for you among the administration. My voice should be able to clear your reputation a fair amount.”

Well I could just say no. However, I think this is an opportunity to trade a few favors with the old man. “Oh and another thing. That girl Sekh used to be an indentured servant for Zetis. She only told me before, so she didn’t want to say it to you in front of everyone. She and some of Zetis’ other servants were supposedly framed by him when he made a move against a rival merchant. Can you have people look into the situation?”

“Certainly,” Zeno answered. “Amorium is under my jurisdiction after all. And it was a foolish gamble on my part to put someone incompetent in charge. I had hoped to garner favor with the locals by putting one of their own in charge, but I didn’t expect him to be so stupid.” 

"Thanks," I said in response. "If that’s all, then I’ll be joining my companions now,”

“That’s fine,” Zeno replied. “But don’t tell them about our discussion.” 

“What about getting them to help with the case?” 

“I’ll ask them when the time is right.”

I left the room and met up with everyone in a large guestroom. 

Theo was the first to shoot a question at me. “Care to explain to us what’s going on?"

“I guess there’s no use hiding it now,” I sighed. “My real name is Azel. I’m the former hero of the spear, the Butcher of Beroea as you might know.”

“Why’d you hide it from us?” Theo continued, almost aggressively.  

“Hard to do business when most people think you’re some sort of insane murderer.” I replied, my voice tinged with irritation. 

“Well it certainly makes sense,” John added. “Personally, I don’t care that you didn’t tell us about that. Not every mercenary has a nice past, so I’m just glad that you’re a reliable partner.”

“Thanks,” I said to John. “You’re a good person, John.” 

“I’m sorry but I wish you told me,” Sekh finally chimed in.

“And why would I do that?” I asked her. “Logically speaking, I would just end up scaring you more.”

“You’re right,” Sekh said sadly. “Why would you bother trusting a stranger with something so important?”

The room was filled with silence. Theo was the first to leave, then John. Sekh and I sat there for what felt like an eternity, her avoiding eye contact the whole time. Finally, Sekh stood up. She spun around wordlessly and went to her room. Her pace was almost that of a run. 

“How annoying,” I thought. 

But as I kept thinking about the situation, I started to feel almost disappointed in myself. Since I met her, I was only scheming about how to manipulate her for my convenience. Even if my sole intention was to resolve the Myalo situation, it didn’t sit quite right with me. Of course I had no problem with the fact I hid my identity. 

When I went into my assigned room, I was still thinking over what had happened. My conclusion was that Sekh and Theo were overly emotional and I still stood in the right. However, I also realized something tangential.

Perhaps the reason that none of my relationships lasted long was my treatment of others. I’d like to say that I just lost interest in people and left, but that wasn’t the whole truth. 

Although I’ve never been considered possessive, I realized that I was quite controlling. Not in a direct sort of way, but always pulling the strings behind a charming smile. Yet I wasn’t some sort of master manipulator that could lead people on forever. People realized and left. Some went in tears, some shouted in anger, and some tried to cling on in hopes of change. But the end result was the same.

Despite everything that happened since Beroea, I might not have changed so much compared to before. It seems like I broke the promise that I made with myself. I thought that leaving the other heroes would allow me to be a new person. But I forgot that the only constant in one’s life is one’s self. 

41