Chapter 33-The Archer From The West +World Map
1.1k 21 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“One point,” I laughed when I saw the results. “I guess my good luck charm paid off.”

“That must be one hell of a good luck charm,” the second place orc chuckled. “But a win is a win, you deserve it.”

“I know I said that the loser would pay, but just forget that today,” I told him and the sullen archer girl. “Come on, I’ll get you two some drinks.”

The orc and I walked side by side exchanging jokes, while the young lady sulked behind us. Well she was going along with us, so that’s good enough. It’s not as though I planned to antagonize her. Although she was two points behind the orc in placement, her skill couldn’t be doubted. Among the three of us, she would be the one at the greatest disadvantage when it came to physical strength, something critical for archery.

“What would you two like to drink?” I asked the three of them when we got to the vendors.

“I’ll leave it up to you,” the orc replied.

“I’d rather have juice than alcohol,” the girl answered. 

That's rather cute. Though alcohol is just really old juice, most of the times. 

“I’ll have two beers and a cup of sugarcane juice,” I said to the vendor.

“Wait, you’re the top three contestants for the tournament,” the merchant observed. “I’ll let you have the first round of drinks on the house.”

“No, I can pay,” I replied as I pulled a satchel of coins out from my pocket. 

“There’s no need for that,” the vendor said while pulling close to my face. “I actually got big earnings for betting on you, so just take this as a thank you.”

After a bit of waiting, the three of us were presented with wooden mugs filled with liquid. Since we couldn’t just run off with the beverages, the three of us sat down at the counter. No doubt this would benefit the merchant’s acclaim. 

“Now that I think about it, I haven’t even introduced myself to you two,” I said to the two. “I’m Iblis.”

“Garrick,” the orc replied after a swig of beer. 

“I’m Zeph,” the archer girl finally spoke up. 

Of the three of us, I was the tallest. Garrick appeared to be only slightly taller than Zeph, though he might have been thrice as wide. Garrick’s black hair and dark green skin were also indicators that he was a northern orc, not one from the more central regions. Like most orcs, he looked like a walking block of muscle. 

Zeph, on the other hand, starkly contrasted Garrick’s appearance. Her lean frame looked almost delicate, though cords of muscle could be spotted on her arms. Like her body, her face was also on the smaller side. Still, she looked incredibly beautiful with her fair skin, chilly blue eyes, and snow white ponytail. Even though I was checking her out, I didn’t stare so everything should be fine.

“Nice to meet you all,” I responded with a disarming smile. “I don’t recognize you two from around here, so I presume that you’re from outside of Damask?”

“That’s right, I’m just traveling around,” Garrick answered. “I’ve come to like the climate in Stygia since I came here during the war.”

“Interesting, you don’t like the cold in the north?” I asked. 

“Not at all,” Garrick replied. “Though I like Stygia more than Aeolia, since it’s drier here.”

“Well I’m just here because of business,” I told them. “But what about you Zeph? You don’t seem like you’re from Fars or any surrounding areas either.”

“I’m an adventurer from the west,” Zeph informed us. “I heard about a great war happening here, so I came to seek my fortune. But things didn’t turn out as expected.”

“But you must have heard of the allied victory a while ago,” I pointed out while Garrick nodded in agreement. “If you don’t mind me asking, how come you didn't just return home?”

“I have my reasons,” Zeph answered flatly.

“Sorry about that,” I said with an apologetic grin. “So do you two have any plans from here on?”

“I’ll be heading to Argopolis,” Garrick replied. “Though I might come back to Damask sometime. I’ll let you know if I do.”

“I’m looking for a job,” Zeph told us. “I was hoping to get a larger prize to pay for my expenses, but it looks like I’ll have to do some work at the Labor Bureau.”

“I can help you with that,” I offered. “Don’t worry, I have a standing contract with the Bureau so I get regular pay. Therefore, I won’t be taking as much of the share.”

“Are you hitting on me?” she accused me. “You might be good looking, but I’ve just met you.”

“Don’t worry, my intentions are pure,” I assured her with an easy smile. “Well as pure as mercenary business can be. I haven’t had a chance to hunt monsters in a while, so I think this might be a good opportunity.”

“Well that’s fine,” Zeph said suspiciously. “But you better not be up to any funny business, I’ll shoot you if I have to.”

“I swear on the name of Amiran that I will conduct myself in a mostly professional manner,” I declared. 

While I tried to put Zeph at ease, Garrick began to lightly chuckle at the sight. During that time, two familiar faces appeared on the scene. 

“Great job placing first, Iblis,” Minerva said to me while Sekh smiled from behind. “Oh and you two must be the top three contestants. If you’re looking for more cash, there are plenty of jobs at the Labor Bureau.”

Looks like Minerva and I had the same idea regarding these two. 

“I heard,” Zeph replied. “In fact, Iblis was quite insistent on partnering up with me for a few jobs. Come to think of it, are you two his partners?”

“Actually, I’m his friend and the overseer of the local Labor Bureau,” Minerva corrected.

“I’m his partner, both businesswise and romantically,” Sekh finally chimed in. 

“Can you keep an eye on your boyfriend then?” Zeph said to Sekh. “You need to make sure he doesn’t go around seducing other women.”

“Are you implying that you already fell for me, Zeph?” I teased Zeph. 

“Absolutely not!” Zeph declared while the others laughed. 

“Well if you did, then just make to get on my good side,” Sekh said to Zeph with a wink. 

“I better be getting a big share if I work with you,” Zeph harrumphed. 

“I think we’ll get along fine,” I laughed. “Besides, you and Sekh even have really similar names. It’s almost mandatory that we party up.”

“Oh, you three all have four letters in your name,” Minerva observed. “Do you also have four letters in your name?”

“Unfortunately not,” Garrick replied. “My name’s Garrick, but there’s no need to remember it. I’ll be heading out of this city soon.”

“That’s a shame,” Minerva remarked. “Maybe those extra three letters are why you won't be joining those three. But feel free to come back anytime, the Bureau always welcomes capable individuals.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Garrick said as he stood up. “Well, I’ll be leaving now. I don't want to get your way.”

“Take care,” I replied while giving him a send off pat on the back. “Let me know if you come back, drinking with you seems fun.”

“Likewise,” Garrick answered. “And if you know anyone else that's fun, then bring them along too.”

Once Garrick left, the four of us stayed for a little longer before leaving. During that time, Zeph and the two girls properly introduced themselves to each other.  Personally, I would have preferred working together with Garrick. He appears more experienced than Zeph and I wouldn’t have to deal with getting accused of having a harem party. 

I also found out that Zeph is 18 years old. Although I don’t know why, I felt quite relieved when I heard from her. It almost reminds me of the feeling when I got a thumbs up from the gods and their assistants. 

“Hey Zeph, you wouldn’t happen to be a mage would you?” I asked the archer as we walked back to the Bureau. 

“How did you know?” she interrogated me while the other stared at us with curiosity. 

“Let’s just call it intuition,” I said with a smile and shrug. “If you’re an archer, you’re probably a wind mage, right?”

“You’re surprisingly sharp,” Zeph admitted. “As you said, I am a wind mage and I would say that I'm quite talented when it comes to my craft.”

“Can you demonstrate your magic?” Minerva requested with sparkling eyes. “I’ve never seen a wind mage before.”

In contrast, Sekh and I were nowhere as curious as Minerva. It’s important to note that all six types of mages have uses in the military. Lightning mages and fire mages are often use as heavily armored dragoons that smash holes in enemy formations, though they also serve as a sort of communications group at times. It’s rather hard to miss streaks of electricity and spurts of fire when they’re used as signals. Wind mages are mostly used to support allied missile troops or disrupt enemy projectiles. Additionally, they can also be used to support allied cavalry and stall enemy cavalry charges. Earth mages, on the other hand, are rather slow when it comes to working their magic. Thus, they are used to create fortifications or obstacles in a battlefield. Where they really shine is in sieges, both offensively and defensively. Water mages are janitors. In the military, they are used to secure water supplies and clean waste to prevent disease. That’s the same use that they have in civil areas. However, water mages are vital to the navy since they can limit turbulent conditions. I would even say that water mages are the most useful, considering how easy it is to find a job as one. Pretty much every large population center actually depends on water mages for sanitation so they don’t all get sick from excess waste. 

“Watch carefully,” Zeph prefaced. 

Immediately after, a strong gale picked up and formed a sort of twister around the four of us. The miniscule tornado quickly picked up the dust at our feet and tossed it away.

“That was super cool,” Minerva applauded. 

“I agree, you’re much better than the mages I’ve seen,” Sekh commented.

“No need to compliment me,” Zeph said with a very contradictory smile. “I’m still working to refine my control. And how come you don’t have anything to say, Iblis? Are you in that much awe of me?”

“Not really,” I answered. “I’ve just seen a lot of wind magic when I fought during the war. Almost lost an eye to an arrow that had no right flying so fast.”

“Then you should be glad that you’re working with me,” Zeph replied. 

“Naturally, working with an incredibly talented and beautiful lady is always an honor,” I teased while doing a mock bow. 

“You’re in front of your girlfriend!” Zeph shouted with a faint blush. 

“I believe he was talking about me as well,” Sekh argued. “Anyways, Iblis, you should stop teasing her so much. What are you going to do if you awaken something in her.”

“I'd tease her more,” I replied as Minerva chuckled and Zeph’s face went red. “Sorry about that Zeph. Sekh and I are normally a bit better behaved. We’ll stop harassing you so much.”

“As long as you understand,” Zeph said haughtily. 

She's surprisingly tolerant of two strangers that she just met. Maybe this girl is a lot softer than she lets off. The rest of the walk towards the Bureau was filled with civilized small talk. Though I have to admit, teasing Zeph is a bit funny. As long as I don’t actually hurt her feelings, seeing her annoyed occasionally is somewhat amusing. Minerva also falls under this category, though she just gets shy. Then there’s Sekh. She might be fun to joke with, but I haven’t been able to get a special reaction since that time at the fishing village. Thankfully Mikhail isn’t here, otherwise I would get a lecture about women and their feelings. What’s even funnier is how dense he is towards people’s feelings. 

“It’s a bit late today,” I remarked as we searched for possible jobs. “How about we find a request then start on it tomorrow.”

“Fine by me,” Zeph answered while Sekh gave me a thumbs up.

“By the way Zeph, do you have a place to stay the night?” I asked her. “There are some empty rooms upstairs that you can use. And you can also join us for dinner if you want.”

“Um…,” Zeph muttered as she sunk into thought. “If it’s alright with all of you, I wouldn’t mind. How many people live in the Bureau building by the way?”

“The two of us and Minerva,” I answered. “So it won’t be a problem with one more person.”

“Ah, ok then,” Zeph replied. 

After some searching, the three of us decided to take a request involving a marauder crab infestation located south of Damask. The promised pay was 4 denarii, so I would say that this is probably a medium sized infestation. Out of the three of us, Sekh was the only one with experience in dealing with these creatures. She said that we would just have to be careful and avoid getting swarmed. 

“Hey, I’m going to grab my things from my inn room,” Zeph informed us.

“We’ll come with you,” Sekh replied cheerily. 

Thus the three of us walked out the Bureau towards the inn that Zeph was staying at. Unlike the inn that Sekh and I went to when we first arrived in Damask, Zeph’s chosen inn was of much lower quality.

“That’s all your baggage?” I asked Zeph in surprise. 

Zeph’s belongings could certainly be called barebone. All she had was a bedroll, some clothes, and very basic camping gear. No cookware, spare weapons, and just one riding horse. 

“It helps me move faster,” Zeph argued. 

‘How do you even feed yourself when you travel?” I inquired of Zeph. 

“It’s not that hard,” Zeph replied with raised eyebrows. “I just make a fire and roast whatever I hunt or gather. Though I prefer to travel close to settlements, since the food is better when I buy it.”

“I see,” I said almost grimly. 

“Then you’re going to like working with us,” Sekh informed her. “Iblis is a great cook. I would even say that he is at the level of mothers.”

“Really?” Zeph asked with wide eyes. “He doesn’t look like one though. A cook that is.”

“Always knew I had the bearings of a mother,” I joked. “Anyways, you two go back to the Bureau first. I’m going to buy some groceries to prepare for dinner. Let me know if you have anything specific that you want for dinner. Or anything you can’t eat.”

“Not anything in particular,” Zeph responded.

“Fish,” Sekh confirmed. 

Once we exited the inn, I parted ways from the two and headed towards the market. Although there were less products available at this time, I was able to buy some fresh fish, which I’ll just fry up the way Sekh likes. After that, I went to the bakery to get some of the layered cakes that Minerva really likes. Naturally I got myself a few bottles of rum on my way back.  

By the time I got back to the Bureau, Zeph had already claimed a room and set up her belongings there. Well that's natural considering her deficit of personal belongings. I wonder how lackluster her diet must have been. 

“This is amazing,” Zeph commented as she dug into the fried fish. “It’s been so long since I’ve had good food.”

Yeah, her diet must have been very lackluster. 

“Make sure to save some room since we have dessert after,” I told her. 

“Thank you so much,” Zeph said after swallowing the food in her mouth. 

Oddly enough, Zeph has remarkable table manners for an adventurer who’s been eating so poorly. If I were to rank table manners, Minerva would be the highest with Zeph close behind. Sekh and I look civilized, I guess. Based on this, it’s extremely likely that Zeph is of a high social standing. And because she’s unwilling to discuss her reasons for leaving home, there might be some courtly intrigue or something similar in her past. Or she might be a wanted serial killer, but that's alright as long as she doesn't target us.

“You’re the best,” Minerva told me when we began eating dessert. “Did you buy these from my favorite bakery?”

“Yeah, I remember you telling me that those are your favorites,” I informed her. “I made sure to buy plenty, so don’t hold back.”

“I’m going to regret this tomorrow,” Minerva said as she happily cut into a large piece of cake. "But it's just so good."

Once the four of us finished eating and cleaning up, we decided to play some cards on the third floor. There were no stakes. No bets and absolutely no stripping. Which was very fortunate for me.

“Fun fact, Iblis is cursed when it comes to cards,” Sekh commented after I got eliminated. “It’s not like he lacks skill or anything. I would even say that it’s almost impossible to read his emotions when he’s trying. But he just can’t get a good hand.”

“Agreed,” Minerva and Zeph said in unison, the pity ringing from their voices. 

Well I’ve known this for a long time. Though I don’t really dislike playing cards, since my luck does occasionally show signs of normalcy. Maybe I should get some dice or board games in that case. I actually don't suffer against absurdly skewed odds when I don’t play a game using thin sheets of paper. 

“Zeph, I know you’re from Cyrenica,” Sekh said during a match. “But where exactly is that?”

“It’s to the southernmost country that is west of Arkadia,” Zeph told her. 

“So it's really far west,” Sekh commented with a hint of confusion. 

“I can draw a map if you want,” I said to Sekh. 

“That would be great,” Sekh answered.

Since I was already eliminated, I got up and grabbed a piece of paper along with some writing utensils. I was finished with said map around the time the other three finished another game of cards. This time, Minerva won instead of Sekh, though Zeph got stomped instead of me. 

“And here it is,” I announced as I proudly displayed my map. “This is based on information from around a year ago, so the western borders might be wrong. I also put Arkadia as one whole region, but remember that it’s currently a bunch of smaller states right now.”

7raAwd6.png

“Wow, it’s super detailed,” Sekh said in awe. “I’m surprised you know so much.”

“Yeah,” Minerva agreed. “For something drawn from memory, this is incredible.”

Zeph, on the other hand, looked rather unimpressed. "It's alright. Did you make the borders squiggly so it would look better?”

“Possibly,” I replied somewhat dubiously. 

Zeph closed her eyes for a bit and sighed. “You know what, I’ll draw another map.”

I’m not sure if she was trying to one up me, but that did end up happening. Anyways, for the sake of my pride, I decided to remove the image of her map from my memory. 

24